shape
carat
color
clarity

Face Masks and other strategies to help slow Covid-19 spread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tights in winter yes...but straight up panty hose....I was thinking 20-25 years ago...but then I lived in South TX so definitely not, lol.

Oh and we are in a pinch here. I can‘t get elastic, stretchy hair bands, nothing...I’m having people donate thread because I can‘t get any and am running out. I was just at Walmart and I think by the end of the day they will be out of fabric completely. Nothing else is open. If pantyhose would work I would use them for masks at this point...it‘s shockingly hard to find masks or mask making materials here and by Friday there is a mandate. o_O

Did you try Amazon? My dh just ordered thread on Amazon and it came in 3 days. Just did a search on Amazon and they also have hair bands in stock. See if you can get what you need on Amazon.

I can't remember the last time I even WORE a pair!

LOL I can. 1989! :lol:
Good riddance. Hated pantyhose with a passion.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Did you try Amazon? My dh just ordered thread on Amazon and it came in 3 days. Just did a search on Amazon and they also have hair bands in stock. See if you can get what you need on Amazon.

LOL I can. 1989! :lol:
Good riddance. Hated pantyhose with a passion.

I am finding some things online but friends and neighbors are also clearing out their sewing boxes. I got some soft stretchy hair bands on amazon...thanks. They’re good for kids and elderly who may struggle to tie strapsbehind their heads. I finished 16 this evening And cut out maybe 30 more to make tomorrow.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your Melon. I really love this company and their products. 50% of their net profit goes to charitable cancer organizations. Their products are so soft and comfy, I ordered one of their face masks.
They sold out of most of them on the first day...

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind,

Atwood Rope Mrg is now selling a plush elastic for masks.

3/16th":

5/16th":

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I read an article this morning on N95 masks with valves. It said that while they will protect the wearer, it provides no protection for the people around. Which makes sense now that I think about it, the purpose of the valve is to make it more comfortable to breath, which means when the wearer exhales, valve will open letting out the particles to the air. Article said that the N95 with valves were originally created for the people in constructions, mines, etc and when it started to be used in medical fields, it was mandated that those do not have valves. Just wanted to share.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a link for those who want more info.

Physicians in hospitals and private practice are wearing them and it’s concerning.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted this in a different thread, but it probably better fits in here...

So far I've only gotten my hands on disposable masks. If I wear one to the store, then carefully remove it and put it in a paper bag (or lean forward and drop it in a big tupperware container and leave it on the floor of my car) for at least three days, can it be reused?

(Sorry if that's a stupid question -- I feel like everyone else knows more about this than I do!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So far I've only gotten my hands on disposable masks. If I wear one to the store, then carefully remove it and put it in a paper bag (or lean forward and drop it in a big tupperware container and leave it on the floor of my car) for at least three days, can it be reused?

(Sorry if that's a stupid question -- I feel like everyone else knows more about this than I do!)

Not a stupid question. And there are lots of different answers. Here's what I found.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 2.04.40 PM.png

Fabric masks require less time. I have read between 2-3 days.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
An alternative to the elastic, you can try t-shirt yarn. It's very soft and quick to make. Next time I make it I will use thinner strands. There are several tutorials in YouTube. It's just cut and pull. No fray, no fuss and cat approved.
94706000_10217373473788476_3840985696579878912_o.jpg
I like the Olsen mask and also like the 3-D masks. I made this one. I love the nose room. Very comfortable.

94722923_10217383000106628_2565586877335732224_o (1).jpg
94742724_10217397958400576_6351448494032551936_o.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For anyone looking for thread, I purchased these

which means you're getting 1200 yards per spool at 10 spools for under 40 bucks. I went a little crazy and ordered nearly 80 dollars worth of thread...lol :oops2:

BUT, its really good thread. My machine likes it a lot. Its true 100% cotton and pretty much melds with the fabric quite well. Less lint than some of the other brands for sure. (but its cotton thread so...you get lint)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Face shields might be another important addition to Coronavirus protection.

"
Just as face masks are now commonly worn in public to protect from exposure to the virus known as SARS-CoV-2 (which causes COVID-19), face shields (clear plastic shields that cover the face) are starting to be worn outside of medical settings, and for good reason. At a distance of just 18 inches from a coughing individual, face shields have been shown to reduce immediate viral exposure by 96%, according to a study using influenza virus (Lindsley, J Occup Environ Hyg 2014).

As discussed in an article in JAMA (Perencevich, et al, April 29, 2020), the Infectious Disease Society of America has included societal use of face shields as well as face masks in its recommendations as restrictions are eased on extreme social distancing. Face shields address two key means of preventing coronavirus transmission: They provide a barrier to respiratory droplets and help wearers avoid touching their face. In addition, unlike masks and N95 respirators, they cover the eyes as well as the mouth and nose, allow for easier communication, and are more easily cleaned (with just soap and water or household disinfectants) for reuse. They provide a better barrier to respiratory droplets than cloth face masks, but should be used with a mask for added protection.

Note that face shields, are only necessary when in close proximity to an infectious person. As determined in a study using influenza virus (noted above), at six feet away they reduced inhaled virus by 92%, which was no better than with distancing alone — demonstrating the importance of social distancing.

For optimal protection, a face shield should extend below the chin, reach to the ears, and have no exposed gap between the forehead and the shield (a gap typically filled by a foam cushion). Several brands of face shields are sold online and most are relatively inexpensive — costing roughly $3 to $7 per unit when two or more are ordered. "

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding A Nylon Stocking Layer Could Boost Protection From Cloth Masks, Study Finds

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-boost-protection-from-cloth-masks-study-find

Thanks, great minds. Posted on the previous page.

I forgot to share this. FYI. For a tighter seal this is an option. Interesting.

Has anyone tried this? I don't even own pantyhose and am guessing it is hard to get that now.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried it and cut a few for my daughter, my husband and myself to use.

You need the 1-2x large size for it to not be too tight. Cut the upper thigh portion, a 10" section.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of masks. This is our friend’s furbaby. Love him. ❤️

B69FBEB7-30FC-48C6-9A37-1FE39706D2E9.jpeg

But he needs safety glasses!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just sent 25 to Boca Raton PD, 50 to a military wife in Louisiana who will disperse from there. I'm waiting on some additional material (plain cotton) as its the stuff in the shortest supply.

So here's some places I've found that will ship (not always quickest)
https://www.bigskyquilts.com/ They have plain cotton for anyone looking. PPY is not too terrible I did order the navy because I need it and every other place is just out. so lets see if they deliver for me. I picked up a really cute fabric over there....lol I'll take a pic.

https://farmfreshfabrics.com They are pretty good for shipping. PPY is decent, they do ship pretty quick. They do have solids (I found the website a little hard to navigate) but they've got the cotton I needed.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/ They do have plenty of fabric but I lost out on some of the solids I put in my cart (darnit!!) They're shipping is slow as you can probably imagine because they were on lock down.

https://www.voguefabricsstore.com They do have some solids. Shipping can be quite slow though.

DIY elastic has elastic https://diyelastic.com/ if you don't need a lot you'll be in better luck. If you're trying to haul ass and make a lot you'll be a bit less in luck... I think right now out of white and black. If you don't care what color just as long as its elastic, very good luck, they have orange and pink even :oops2:

I had to break down and purchase a set of 25 bobbins. I had 4-5 for this machine and I keep playing bobbin chicken and losing so having additional on hand is probably a good idea as I go through 3 bobbins a day. All that thread I bought...was a good idea.

voce

Ideal_Rock

I cycle through 5-6 masks every week, and instead of placing them in a paper bag, I let natural heat and sunshine desanitize them and use them a week later. What I have done in my sunny corner of California is designate the back seating area of my car as a sanitization zone. I lay out my masks and other things to be desanitized, and park my car outside where plenty of sunlight can enter. I keep the windows up, and the temperature of the car goes high enough to be like an oven. I can't take precise measurements of temperature and duration, but the long doses of heat and UV throughout the day must be better than dark and room temperature inside a paper bag, as was suggested.

What I like about using the back seating area is that I can lay them out in a particular arrangement and can be very clear about which mask I had used on which day and make sure I'm cycling through them in the right order.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got some elastic..... :oops2:

1/8 inch flat....My goodness its tiny! Its very stretchy though... I will make it work.

I'll be using one feature of https://try.frankandoak.com/mask-diy-english/ to the mask I currently make. so I'll get the ear loops and ensure no gaping at the bottom.

20200506_151706[1].jpg

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I see a lot more people wearing masks in public, on their chin.
:think::shock::wall::wall::wall:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a lot more people wearing masks in public, on their chin.
:think::shock::wall::wall::wall:
because "masks are soooo hoooootttt" Personally I like the cotton ones over the N95 (which I wear while doing the lawn and damn near want to pass out...lol) The only N95 I have left is kinda old, really only suitable for lawn work at this point anyway.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a general question because I think I may start doing this to help raise money for my local feeding america food bank and one of my other favorite charities which do the world some good.

Feeding America is a great network which helps to actually feed people in times of need, this being one of them and

Friends of Jupiter beach do an amazing job of actually cleaning the beach monthy. They are also advocates for allowing dogs on the beach here in south Florida. I've done a volunteer cleanup a few times with them and the amount of trash we pick up... :oops2: people can be gross animals!. But they also help the native wild life not get caught up in the trash people leave behind..solidly a great organization.

And people want masks right? So,

Money would not come to me, I would send people to feeding America or Friends of Jupiter beach to donate.

I would need to see a copy of the receipt!

For every 10 dollars donated, you receive a mask. And just think this is still tax deductible!
I can't do custom orders. but will show the fabric I currently have and people can choose from that. Masks are 2 layers of 100% cotton with a pocket for filter (meaning people can add a filter if they want) I can do either head or ear elastic.

Thoughts? I'd do it on Loupe troop.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I have a general question because I think I may start doing this to help raise money for my local feeding america food bank and one of my other favorite charities which do the world some good.

Feeding America is a great network which helps to actually feed people in times of need, this being one of them and

Friends of Jupiter beach do an amazing job of actually cleaning the beach monthy. They are also advocates for allowing dogs on the beach here in south Florida. I've done a volunteer cleanup a few times with them and the amount of trash we pick up... :oops2: people can be gross animals!. But they also help the native wild life not get caught up in the trash people leave behind..solidly a great organization.

And people want masks right? So,

Money would not come to me, I would send people to feeding America or Friends of Jupiter beach to donate.

I would need to see a copy of the receipt!

For every 10 dollars donated, you receive a mask. And just think this is still tax deductible!
I can't do custom orders. but will show the fabric I currently have and people can choose from that. Masks are 2 layers of 100% cotton with a pocket for filter (meaning people can add a filter if they want) I can do either head or ear elastic.

Thoughts? I'd do it on Loupe troop.

I think that would be an amazing idea.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding this chart here in case someone missed it in the other thread.

masknomask.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding this chart here in case someone missed it in the other thread.

masknomask.jpg

Is there a source for these numbers? They seem suspiciously specific lol. I do believe masks work, I’m just a skeptic about stats on any side of an argument lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a source for these numbers? They seem suspiciously specific lol. I do believe masks work, I’m just a skeptic about stats on any side of an argument lol.

I will see if I can find where I saw this originally. My gut says even if the stats are off they are in the ball park. It makes sense wearing a mask protects others and others wearing a mask protects you and if you are both wearing masks the risk of infection goes way down.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a graph fyi.

COVIDMasks_4_21_2020.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results