shape
carat
color
clarity

Eyeing a preloved ring -- advice?

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so. I have a lot of pictures and videos of all three ring options and am trying to decide what to do. I know I shouldn't have eaten pizza last night as now my fingers are a bit swollen....

Here's the Imgur album which has photos and videos of all three rings. I got about 10 minutes of sun and now it's supposed to rain for the next week....

These are a few of the album photos repeated. In some of these photos and videos the RDG ring almost appears to have some brown? In real life the color is beautiful, no brown at all.

I would appreciate any opinions!

IMG_20230623_114508.jpg
IMG_20230623_114626.jpg
IMG_20230623_115512.jpg

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so. I have a lot of pictures and videos of all three ring options and am trying to decide what to do. I know I shouldn't have eaten pizza last night as now my fingers are a bit swollen....

Here's the Imgur album which has photos and videos of all three rings. I got about 10 minutes of sun and now it's supposed to rain for the next week....

These are a few of the album photos repeated. In some of these photos and videos the RDG ring almost appears to have some brown? In real life the color is beautiful, no brown at all.

I would appreciate any opinions!

IMG_20230623_114508.jpg
IMG_20230623_114626.jpg
IMG_20230623_115512.jpg

Love, love, love the RDG ring. Looks so wonderful on you. While I know nothing about the price point, I can see why this one speaks to you. Good luck with your decision.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all 3 look lovely on you!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve loved that RDG ring, listed by Grace, forever. The color and look is incredibly inspiring and gorgeous. I’d stare at that ring all day!

I’m annoyed for you that they aren’t spinels (I’m not sure why the initial appraisal said otherwise). Matching the rubies to the pears and to each other is no small task to accomplish. The color IMO is fantastic. The cut of the pears is lovely (nice high crowns giving a rounded appearance). The ring looks perfect on your hand and it’s a designer piece. I think it’s a great choice. I personally think Grace plays hardball and I’m not thrilled about that. But this piece is special. Her current pricing (with the discounts mentioned plus free shipping) seems steep but it might cost almost that to make elsewhere and with elsewhere -it might be a major hassle or come out far from perfect, which this piece is.

On the Other Hand ”CVB ID“ is a designer who has a great sense of color and design/style, who might be able to accomplish this look very well, in spinel even…. But I have no idea about how her prices would match up. Likely similar?

Another designer I’ve seen with access to really pretty colored spinels is Jewels by Nutella Kitty on Etsy. You could ask her how hard this would be to make…

Good luck with your decision.

Congratulations on completing your PHD!

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention, in the vote between all three rings, the Red ring is a showstopper. There is no comparison. I’ve never seen a ring similarly executed with for example all the things, impeccable clean prongwork and perfect matching rich colors… outside of like JAR Jewelry. The other 2 rings IMO don’t come close to being as special. Update from looking at videos- Although the Paraiba is glowing like crazy (I think it’s a really pretty color, and also a great color on your hand).

PS I clicked on Graces website and they offer $200 off purchases of $2000 or more if you give them your email. I wonder if she’d honor that in addition to the other discounts. I did a screen shot of the coupon.

Last edited:

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts so far!

Just so that people all know prices, the final price for the RDG was $4400, vs $2300 for the paraiba and $1700+tax for the Tiffany. No tax on the RDG or Paraiba. Because the Tiffany is an eBay purchase, I will take it into the boutique to resize slightly down for authenticity verification if I intend to keep it.

The RDG ring feels incredibly special to me in a way that the others do not, but none of my friends or family are that into it! Maybe they just don't get it?

I'm on a big exploratory shopping trip today while in the return period - I've been to a local high end jeweler, VCA, Cartier, Chanel, Bulgari, and now into Neiman Marcus. I don't like anything else as much, though I did like a $9100 Chanel camelia ring and the chalcedony vintage Alhambra bracelet.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the RDG on you. The color is great with your skin tone and the shape looks nice with your long fingers. The paraiba is a close second. If you could only have one, are you more drawn to blue or red? Maybe it’s the lighting, but for some reason I don’t like the color of the Tiffany metal with your skin tone; though the diamonds have nice sparkle.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Okay, to update a bit more from my in-person shopping:

Van Cleef and Arpels: I really liked the chalcedony vintage alhambra bracelet ($5050), but it doesn't feel as unique or special as the RDG and seems even harder to justify the price of than tourmalines! The MOP and the white gold guilloche didn't speak to me as much as the chalcedony.

Cartier: I tried on several pieces including Clash, Panthere, Juste un Clou, Trinity. I didn't like any of these as much as the VCA bracelet or these three rings

Chanel: I really liked the Fil de Camelia ring but it's $9100. Ha!

Neiman Marcus: nothing exciting to me here. I had admired some Suzanne Kalan pieces online but didn't like them as much in-person.

Local high end jeweler: They had a paraiba tourmaline ring! ~1.8 carat vs the 0.86 I have from Yvonne (and almost $50k vs $2300). I also got to try on a ~$200k untreated emerald three stone ring which was stunning but obviously out of the question! I saw a few other rings that were more in budget and some were very nice, but none that struck me as much as these three rings do. There was a pair of earrings that I loved, though -- next time!

What I notice with the Yvonne paraiba ring is that it feels more formal than the RDG ring, so I surprisingly think that the RDG would be the more wearable of those two for me. The Tiffany ring is of course the most wearable of all three. My other Tiffany rose gold has faded a bit in color, so if this is authentic I assume it would happen here too. And there's no reason to think it isn't authentic -- it matches what I remember seeing in-person, all of the hallmarks look right to me, and it doesn't seem like a design that's popular enough to copy, but of course you never know.

So yeah, I'm still contemplating. At least I know that none of them would be a huge mistake, so now it's maybe thinking about which one I would feel most disappointed about if I didn't have it.

Again, I continue to appreciate people's thoughts :)

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Love, love, love the RDG ring. Looks so wonderful on you. While I know nothing about the price point, I can see why this one speaks to you. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you!

They all 3 look lovely on you!

Thank you! But not helpful in making my decision.... :razz: :)

I’ve loved that RDG ring, listed by Grace, forever. The color and look is incredibly inspiring and gorgeous. I’d stare at that ring all day!

I’m annoyed for you that they aren’t spinels (I’m not sure why the initial appraisal said otherwise). Matching the rubies to the pears and to each other is no small task to accomplish. The color IMO is fantastic. The cut of the pears is lovely (nice high crowns giving a rounded appearance). The ring looks perfect on your hand and it’s a designer piece. I think it’s a great choice. I personally think Grace plays hardball and I’m not thrilled about that. But this piece is special. Her current pricing (with the discounts mentioned plus free shipping) seems steep but it might cost almost that to make elsewhere and with elsewhere -it might be a major hassle or come out far from perfect, which this piece is.

On the Other Hand ”CVB ID“ is a designer who has a great sense of color and design/style, who might be able to accomplish this look very well, in spinel even…. But I have no idea about how her prices would match up. Likely similar?

Another designer I’ve seen with access to really pretty colored spinels is Jewels by Nutella Kitty on Etsy. You could ask her how hard this would be to make…

Good luck with your decision.

Congratulations on completing your PHD!

At least the listing always said tourmalines, so it wasn't really a surprise. But I do wonder what happened with David Atlas! I know he's very respected.

I saw a pair of earrings in my shopping today that were too expensive but that I really liked. Nutella Kitty seems like a perfect person to make something similar, so thank you for suggesting her! I don't see much point in recreating the RDG ring after seeing it. It wouldn't save much money, if any, and I love the original and it's in my size and a color I like (and actually the color of my university!).

I forgot to mention, in the vote between all three rings, the Red ring is a showstopper. There is no comparison. I’ve never seen a ring similarly executed with for example all the things, impeccable clean prongwork and perfect matching rich colors… outside of like JAR Jewelry. The other 2 rings IMO don’t come close to being as special. Update from looking at videos- Although the Paraiba is glowing like crazy (I think it’s a really pretty color, and also a great color on your hand).

PS I clicked on Graces website and they offer $200 off purchases of $2000 or more if you give them your email. I wonder if she’d honor that in addition to the other discounts. I did a screen shot of the coupon.

I asked about that, but no luck with that and the sale price and cash discount and free shipping. I really tried!

I really like the RDG on you. The color is great with your skin tone and the shape looks nice with your long fingers. The paraiba is a close second. If you could only have one, are you more drawn to blue or red? Maybe it’s the lighting, but for some reason I don’t like the color of the Tiffany metal with your skin tone; though the diamonds have nice sparkle.

Thank you! You made me look again at the Tiffany rose gold and it is slightly different from the color of my Tiffany bracelet, though it seems to match the earrings I have. I'll pay more attention to the metal color tomorrow, though. I'm trading off between (gently!) wearing them a bit around my apartment to get an idea of feel and the look in different lighting.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you saying all three rings are returnable?

and you need to return one or two?

this is tough.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
The RDG and Tiffany are directly returnable but the Paraiba would have to be listed on LoupeTroop or similar. Since I got it on LoupeTroop, I would think that I would be able to sell it for basically what I paid. I can technically afford to keep all three but that's more money on jewelry than I feel comfortable spending so probably the choice is the RDG vs both the Paraiba and the Tiffany (because those two together are about the same price as the RDG). My partner likes the Tiffany best, though, so there's a decent chance that the Tiffany would somehow eventually make its way back into my life, especially as it's readily available.

One thing that people here may be able to help with is how these rings might age with me. I'm in my early 30's now and want to have a piece that doesn't feel too temporary. Any thoughts on that?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion -
You saying the Tiffany is readily available and you can easily see it making its way back into your life later on would lead me to choose that one to send back, in this scenario.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can "hear" your love for the RGD ring in this thread. I think it's your favorite regardless of anyone else's thoughts or opinions, so definitely keep that one. Since the tiffany is readily available, I'd say return that one

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
My opinion -
You saying the Tiffany is readily available and you can easily see it making its way back into your life later on would lead me to choose that one to send back, in this scenario.

Well, this is the way that would allow me to not make a real decision! :)

I can "hear" your love for the RGD ring in this thread. I think it's your favorite regardless of anyone else's thoughts or opinions, so definitely keep that one. Since the tiffany is readily available, I'd say return that one

The problem is that I love yours too! And we all know that paraiba has just gotten harder and harder to acquire. The other problem is that people I know in real life aren't on board with the RDG as much, so I wonder if I'll change my mind or if I'm being overly swayed by the name...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, this is the way that would allow me to not make a real decision! :)

The problem is that I love yours too! And we all know that paraiba has just gotten harder and harder to acquire. The other problem is that people I know in real life aren't on board with the RDG as much, so I wonder if I'll change my mind or if I'm being overly swayed by the name...

I thought you could keep both the paraiba and RGD?

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
I thought you could keep both the paraiba and RGD?

ish. Maybe. That's the priciest pair -- originally it was RDG vs Paraiba + Tiffany. But only the RDG has a really fast decision time, so a 'yes' on that would still mean that I could think about what to do with the other two....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ish. Maybe. That's the priciest pair -- originally it was RDG vs Paraiba + Tiffany. But only the RDG has a really fast decision time, so a 'yes' on that would still mean that I could think about what to do with the other two....

Think about how you would feel if one sold. Would you be upset if someone else had the paraiba? What about the RGD?

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Another strong vote for the RDG.
It looks fabulous on you, the style is unique but not trendy and colors are so vibrant!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m going to also suggest that in addition to the RDG, you keep the Paraiba. It’s a beautiful ring and looks great on you. The price point seems good to me and the Paraiba really stands out and glows in the video. (I’m not an expert on colored stones however.). Now that I know it’s a Yvonne Raley, the designer IMO gives this ring something special, too. I love the ring.

You asked the question about whether the two styles would age well on you. I have found that as I’ve gotten older, I’ve been more interested in vibrant colors and luxurious styles. I’ve also been interested in pieces, that are one of a kind and unique. I personally would buy what makes you happy in the current moment though!

Last edited:

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
So, probably shocking no one, I have decided to keep the RDG ring. I still have to decide what to do with the other two, but I just couldn't bear the thought of sending the RDG back. I'll prefer to think of the long delay in anyone else purchasing it as the universe putting it on hold for me rather than it being overpriced!

Here are a few more photos and videos from today :)

Thank you again for the advice!

IMG_20230627_123853.jpg IMG_20230627_132335-EDIT.jpg IMG_20230627_132324-EDIT.jpg
IMG_20230627_123615.jpg

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
So, probably shocking no one, I have decided to keep the RDG ring. I still have to decide what to do with the other two, but I just couldn't bear the thought of sending the RDG back. I'll prefer to think of the long delay in anyone else purchasing it as the universe putting it on hold for me rather than it being overpriced!

Here are a few more photos and videos from today :)

Thank you again for the advice!

IMG_20230627_123853.jpg IMG_20230627_132335-EDIT.jpg IMG_20230627_132324-EDIT.jpg
IMG_20230627_123615.jpg

So happy for you! I think she is a special ring.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I don’t know how I ever missed the update to this thread! I didn’t even see the part where you had three rings you were deciding on. I saw your avatar when you commented on something else. So it’s very late congratulations but congratulations anyway! That ring looks beautiful on you.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know how I ever missed the update to this thread! I didn’t even see the part where you had three rings you were deciding on. I saw your avatar when you commented on something else. So it’s very late congratulations but congratulations anyway! That ring looks beautiful on you.

Thank you so much, and thank you for your advice back when I first posted! I was thinking about someday grabbing the rubellite pair you mentioned to make some matching earrings, but the Etsy shop has closed.

mayday

Shiny_Rock
newtojewels, Your new jewel is exquisite and looks perfect on your long fingers. Congrats on your PhD.
IMG_0110.JPG Between the delicate pave and the paraibas, I scarcely wear this, but when I do I am always smitten. (the 0.5 ct rose cut diamond is only 6.0 x 3.3mm, so it's petite)
I gotta say nobody can do pave like Leon.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
newtojewels, Your new jewel is exquisite and looks perfect on your long fingers. Congrats on your PhD.
IMG_0110.JPG Between the delicate pave and the paraibas, I scarcely wear this, but when I do I am always smitten. (the 0.5 ct rose cut diamond is only 6.0 x 3.3mm, so it's petite)
I gotta say nobody can do pave like Leon.

!!!! I LOVED that ring on JbEG the moment I saw it (or one just like it). If you ever decide that you don't wear it often enough and choose to sell and it's in the range that can be sized to a 6.5-7, please let me know. Alternatively, do you have more photos for vicarious living? I didn't see a thread on it and it's absolutely stunning.

Isn't THIS gorgeous! I'm a little late to the party, but congrats!!

mayday

Shiny_Rock
!!!! I LOVED that ring on JbEG the moment I saw it (or one just like it). If you ever decide that you don't wear it often enough and choose to sell and it's in the range that can be sized to a 6.5-7, please let me know. Alternatively, do you have more photos for vicarious living? I didn't see a thread on it and it's absolutely stunning.

It's a hand-forged platinum size 6 with sizing beads, and I am so paranoid I haven't had them removed even though I could use the extra room. I don't think it can be resized even a smidge due to the pave going all the way around. The specs are G-H 0.65 ct rose cut, 0.44 ct of Brazilian paraibas (heated) and 0.5 ct of melee. As was your experience, this ring haunted me from the JbEG website until I could afford it. Even though I don't wear it much I am so happy to have it in my collection (but I will keep you in mind!). IMG_0091cr.jpg
IMG_0090cr.jpg IMG_0088cr.jpg LeonMegeRoseCutParaibaRing1.jpg IMG_8658Leoncrop.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both of these delicate treasures are glorious! And made by true masters of the craft. You are both lucky to have found them.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
It's a hand-forged platinum size 6 with sizing beads, and I am so paranoid I haven't had them removed even though I could use the extra room. I don't think it can be resized even a smidge due to the pave going all the way around. The specs are G-H 0.65 ct rose cut, 0.44 ct of Brazilian paraibas (heated) and 0.5 ct of melee. As was your experience, this ring haunted me from the JbEG website until I could afford it. Even though I don't wear it much I am so happy to have it in my collection (but I will keep you in mind!). IMG_0091cr.jpg
IMG_0090cr.jpg IMG_0088cr.jpg LeonMegeRoseCutParaibaRing1.jpg IMG_8658Leoncrop.jpg

Stunning! And how fun is that florescence shot! I'm so glad you were able to save up and get it :) Sadly a 6 won't work for me anyways, so you'll just need to hang onto it but send me photos forever

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results