shape
carat
color
clarity

Experience with Pearlman's?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone here have any experience with Pearlman's, specifically getting settings from them? None of our local jewelers, even if I trusted them, which I don't, carry either the Beverley K or Sholdt settings, and I had wondered how complicated it would be to contact Pearlman's, and if any customization were possible.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1311892856|2979303 said:
Does anyone here have any experience with Pearlman's, specifically getting settings from them? None of our local jewelers, even if I trusted them, which I don't, carry either the Beverley K or Sholdt settings, and I had wondered how complicated it would be to contact Pearlman's, and if any customization were possible.

I have done a lot of business with Pearlman's. Once I bought a Gurhan bracelet that was bizarrely large, and returned it without any problem. In several cases I bought Gurhan earrings and rings from Bill Pearlman and was absolutely delighted with the quality of the earrings and the price.

He is completely trustworthy. It is easy to contact him through his website. Personally, I like talking directly to Bill. I am assuming he is still present and active.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Deb, that's great feedback. Were any of the Gurhan pieces customized in any way, or were you buying stock pieces?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1311942888|2979677 said:
Thank you, Deb, that's great feedback. Were any of the Gurhan pieces customized in any way, or were you buying stock pieces?

All the Gurhan pieces were stock pieces. I also bought at least one pair of designer earrings that were not by Gurhan, but nothing custom. I do know that Pearlman's advertises that it does custom work, however. I can hardly vouch for the quality of a bench jeweler whose work I have never seen, but I can vouch for Bill Pearlman's integrity. When he sent me a Gurhan bracelet that wasn't right, he refunded my money without question. He would stand behind his work. I suggest you look at some examples of his custom work if you are considering it.

Deb/AGBF

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've called Pearlman's a few times to look at samples and it's been very straightforward. Although I've spoken to Bill, Julian their sales manager is the one I've worked with most often. I've asked to see Sholdt, Michael Bondanza and Durnell samples. I usually get 2 at a time mailed to my home and have about 3 days to look at them. If they don't carry the sample, they get it. I sent Julian my blue sapphire last summer to be set in a Bondanza setting (not custom) and he made the whole experience very simple. I highly recommend them :)) !

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1311962728|2979916 said:
Aoife|1311942888|2979677 said:

All the Gurhan pieces were stock pieces. I also bought at least one pair of designer earrings that were not by Gurhan, but nothing custom. I do know that Pearlman's advertises that it does custom work, however. I can hardly vouch for the quality of a bench jeweler whose work I have never seen, but I can vouch for Bill Pearlman's integrity. When he sent me a Gurhan bracelet that wasn't right, he refunded my money without question. He would stand behind his work. I suggest you look at some examples of his custom work if you are considering it.

Deb/AGBF

That's an impressive recommendation, especially for such high end designer pieces. I appreciate that feedback.

So far as customization goes, I was really thinking in terms of settings being customized for different shapes or sizes of gemstones, as well as metal choices. Some of the settings I've been looking at are only shown in platinum, and/or for a 1ct diamond. I know the designer offers other metals, Pearlman's isn't listing that as an option, so I was curious about other PS'ers experiences.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1311998508|2980321 said:
That's an impressive recommendation, especially for such high end designer pieces. I appreciate that feedback.

So far as customization goes, I was really thinking in terms of settings being customized for different shapes or sizes of gemstones, as well as metal choices. Some of the settings I've been looking at are only shown in platinum, and/or for a 1ct diamond. I know the designer offers other metals, Pearlman's isn't listing that as an option, so I was curious about other PS'ers experiences.

I am really glad you specified that that was what you were looking for, Aoife, because although I didn't consider I had ever had "custom work" done by Pearlman's, I have, indeed, had work of exactly this nature done through them!!! I asked that they have Gurhan earrings and rings be made in spessartite, if I remember correctly. Either the earrings or the rings were not usually available in spessartite, but the other was.* So I asked that the usual 24K gold earring stud model and the usual 24K gold stacking ring model be used-but both with spessartite-so that I could have both. At least that is how I now recollect it!

*The earrings were available in diamonds and emeralds, I recall. I am not sure about rubies. I know I never bought rubies, because I never thought they looked red enough!

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone is interested in reading about my Gurhan spessartite jewelry, bought at Pearlman's, I found I had posted about it in this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/page-6']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/page-6[/URL]

Since my memory is terrible, it is wonderful that there is an archive somewhere where I can go to find out what happened in my life!

You have to scroll halfway down the page before the Gurhan stuff starts!

Deb/AGBF

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Aoife, my Sholdt semi-bezel for a 1.232ct RB was sourced through Pearlman's.

I can absolutely recommend them as an international customer (I'm in Australia- Sholdt isn't even available here). I worked with Julian completely over email (due to time differences, cost of calls, and wanting written records of our discussions) and he provided me great service and a beautiful e-ring at a very reasonable cost. I requested a matching wedding ring (not listed on the site) and switched the metal to WG and this was quoted in a timely manner, so my understanding is that they "customize" to that degree.

I sourced my stone from BGD and Pearlman's could not have been more accommodating in managing my transaction between Sholdt and BGD. I did have to send one or two follow-up emails at one point but I think that's the nature of business over the net. We did discuss getting a sample of the setting to view but I think the timelines weren't going to work out for my transaction so in the end we didn't go down that route.

Also, importing the ring into Australia required some extra paperwork, which Julian provided in an extremely prompt manner once I requested it. I have no hesitation recommending them to you.

ETA: Deb, your rings are GORGEOUS :love: :love: :love: I love the proportions you selected for your diamond ring- TDF!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Deb, that was extremely helpful, thank you. The spess ring and earrings turned out beautifully! I can see why you wanted those designs set with those stones.

And, now you have your spectacular red-red stone......!

Echidna, that is one of my favorite Sholdt designs, and it resulted in a really gorgeous wedding set. Thank you for the information about dealing with Pearlman's. Again, it is very reassuring to hear about that level of customer service.

I'm so glad you were able to get the diamond tightened into the setting successfully!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1311998707|2980326 said:
Thanks, baby nurse, I was wondering how that worked. Was your blue sapphire a standard size, or did the setting have to be special ordered from the designer? And, how long did the whole process take?

And I love your blue sapphire ring! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-blue-sapphire-ring.157247/

My sapphire was not a standard size because it was cut deeply but honestly, I'm not sure if it was special ordered. Julian said they had to use a "larger"setting to accommodate the stone, and it was done in 18k yellow gold, so I suspect it was special ordered. It definitely went out to NY to Michael Bondanza. The whole thing (stone sent out, set, ring appraised, completed ring back to me) took about 3 weeks.
Hope this helps!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
baby nurse, that's good to know. Three weeks doesn't seem very long, at all.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm planning on buying something from them and will post it if it happens.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1312511847|2984528 said:
I'm planning on buying something from them and will post it if it happens.

I was assuming someone else was going to call you on this one, pregcurious. You aren't allowed to tease the animals in the Colored Stones forum. You have to give us at least a clue. What have you been thinking about buying and under what circumstances?

Deb/AGBF

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
"tease the animals"

That is very funny--you made me laugh aloud. I just bought a diamond eternity ring from Pearlman's that should arrive next week. It's not very "exciting" compared to the CS posts, but I will post pics on SMTB if I keep it. Now, back to your regular programming.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I've worked with them twice.

The first time was on my engagement ring. I ordered a Ritani setting similar to one I had found locally (that the local B&M store mangled to make the head fit a pear instead of oval) and they worked directly with Ritani to have it fitted for a pear instead of an oval. I also bought the center diamond through Pearlman's so they shipped it directly to Ritani and I didn't have to deal with that process. I was very, very pleased with the whole experience, especially having come off of a poor experience with the B&M store on the whole deal.

The second time I approached them to help with my wedding band. To be fair, I didn't have a clear vision of what I wanted, and the sales person I was working with at the time (I don't think it was the same one I had worked with on the engagement ring for whatever reason) was patient...at first. Then he simply stopped returning my e-mails. I guess in his mind I was too much trouble to deal with or something. The wedding ring probably would have ended up being a more custom piece if I had continued down that path. After he wrote me off, though, I decided to go for a plain band and apply the extra money to other things for the wedding. Hoping to get a nice 5 year anniversary band down the line instead.

Anyway, most people give glowing reviews from what I've seen, but I'm not sure I'll go back. :sick:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Could you let us know who the first salesperson was so we know someone who we can work with?

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could remember either salesman that I worked with, but I worked with them on the e-ring in early 2007 and the wedding ring during the spring of 2009. I don't have access to either sets of e-mails b/c the first time I used a work e-mail (somewhere I no longer work), and the second time I used my school address (and I've since graduated). Let me see if the paperwork about my e-ring has a salesman's name attached. Be back shortly.

ETA - No such luck. I want to say one of the times I was working with a guy named Josh, but I can't remember for sure or which time that might have been. Sorry.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for checking, Lavatea.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1312602415|2985252 said:
"tease the animals"

That is very funny--you made me laugh aloud. I just bought a diamond eternity ring from Pearlman's that should arrive next week. It's not very "exciting" compared to the CS posts, but I will post pics on SMTB if I keep it. Now, back to your regular programming.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the entire transaction once you get the ring. Would you mind doing a quick update on this thread?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
lavatea|1312647940|2985443 said:
I've worked with them twice.

The first time was on my engagement ring. I ordered a Ritani setting similar to one I had found locally (that the local B&M store mangled to make the head fit a pear instead of oval) and they worked directly with Ritani to have it fitted for a pear instead of an oval. I also bought the center diamond through Pearlman's so they shipped it directly to Ritani and I didn't have to deal with that process. I was very, very pleased with the whole experience, especially having come off of a poor experience with the B&M store on the whole deal.

The second time I approached them to help with my wedding band. To be fair, I didn't have a clear vision of what I wanted, and the sales person I was working with at the time (I don't think it was the same one I had worked with on the engagement ring for whatever reason) was patient...at first. Then he simply stopped returning my e-mails. I guess in his mind I was too much trouble to deal with or something. The wedding ring probably would have ended up being a more custom piece if I had continued down that path. After he wrote me off, though, I decided to go for a plain band and apply the extra money to other things for the wedding. Hoping to get a nice 5 year anniversary band down the line instead.

Anyway, most people give glowing reviews from what I've seen, but I'm not sure I'll go back. :sick:

It sounds as though it might depend quite a bit on which SA you get. Wow, that part around him not returning your e-mails :nono: . I can see why you don't have any inclination to give Pearlman's another try. I've had this experience with a few vendors, and I have no problem permanently moving them to my do-not-buy-from list. If they aren't interested in making a sale--oh, well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results