shape
carat
color
clarity

Etsy and maybe a silly question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a high value item, I’d prefer to give the measurements to the vendor and have the setting sent to me to be set locally. It’s not worth the heartburn with shipping and insurance. Or in this case, uninsured.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I''m a bit of a worry wort too.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I''ve sent Sally a bunch of stuff with no insurance, and although I was freaked out at first, they get there every time. I hide it in a box of candy and mail it....

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 2:06:26 AM
Author: freefly
I''ve sent Sally a bunch of stuff with no insurance, and although I was freaked out at first, they get there every time. I hide it in a box of candy and mail it....
Hey that sounds like a good idea!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 10:03:51 AM
Author: Stone Hunter

Date: 5/29/2009 2:06:26 AM
Author: freefly
Hey that sounds like a good idea!
Ok- when i''m ready, I might just do this... thaks everyone!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I have sent two gems to Sally and a third is on its way - as long as you follow her advice,
you really should be fine.
At first, I was really stuck on the whole thing of not insuring - and went back and forth for weeks. So I really do understand your apprehension.!
But once I looked into it, I realized that any item that is insured, or sent by special courier etc is a red flag and is 100x more likely to grab the attention of the thieves in the postal services - therefore it simply makes sense to keep it as low profile as possible, no?

Its correct that if your gem is insured, and consequently goes "missing", you are covered - however, I don''t know about you but I love all my gems for exactly what they are - so even if I were to eventually receive the reimbursement from Thailand, after the investigation etc (I doubt this saga would be easy I''m afraid..), who knows if the gem you originally owned and now want will be readily available in your desired size and colour - as we know gems are not like ordering diamonds
2.gif

Sure, I do not advocate this for very pricey gems - which is why its a great thing that Sally how now introduced a "made to measure" service - but than you need someone qualified and with no prejudice against foreign goods locally to set it for you... so far, I have not personally been so lucky
7.gif

Ok, that wax really long but I hope it helped.
If you do send it registered, just don''t write anything on there to do with jewellery - say something like "personal ornament" or "synthetic mineral - sample" and mark the declared value as low - like $20.

If it;s any consolation in all her business back and forth, Sally assures me she is yet to lose a package at all..

well hth!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks - Arjunajane for the write up, It helps me calm my nerves and I will do as mentioned from everyone, yes, true, diamond searching was so much easier than gems.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Sally says that she can make my setting without the stone.. YAY for not having to stress over possibly losing it
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 12:37:31 PM
Author: icekid
Sally says that she can make my setting without the stone.. YAY for not having to stress over possibly losing it
9.gif
oooh,, thats great to hear can''t wait for your final product

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
Phew! Big relief. Which setting are you getting?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 1:32:21 PM
Author: Chrono

9.gif

Phew! Big relief. Which setting are you getting?

I know- I don''t think I would have been able to do it. Too scary! I am planning to set it east-west in the mistral setting with the split shank (not like I have a thing for split shanks or anything!) Debating on asking her to do it without the filigree, because I am not sure it really goes with the more modern feel of my spess.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results