shape
carat
color
clarity

Etsy and maybe a silly question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have sinced fallen in love with the baby lotus ring by Sally, but silly question as I have never bought over seas except from LOGR, which was handled by someone in the states, but my question is do you just buy the setting from her and then have it set by your local jeweler? or do you ship your gemstone to her? if you do get the gemstone set by your local jeweler, how much guestimation on the cost? I know its different but just getting a rough ball park figure. thanks guys!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 4:12:58 PM
Author:D&T
I have sinced fallen in love with the baby lotus ring by Sally, but silly question as I have never bought over seas except from LOGR, which was handled by someone in the states, but my question is do you just buy the setting from her and then have it set by your local jeweler? or do you ship your gemstone to her? if you do get the gemstone set by your local jeweler, how much guestimation on the cost? I know its different but just getting a rough ball park figure. thanks guys!

I just bought a setting from Sally, she did a great job building it to my gem measurements. My local jeweler set it for 30$, you can get it set at a larger Jareds for 35$.

You can ship the stone to her too, and she''ll set it as part of the cost I think. But the shipping is at least 10$, and there''s the worry about it getting lost/stolen.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MTG- I''ll probably just get it set here then, once I buy it... BTW.. its because of you MTG- i wanted that setting for myself
31.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Eeeeeek I am considering sending one of my stones to Sally. If it was a standard round, I would do it locally. But, since it needs to be a custom shape I feel like she needs the stone to really get the shape right. It does make me nervous, though.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo...what did you send Icekid? For what setting? Pics?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 8:43:46 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Nothing has been mailed yet! My nerves are prophylactic
9.gif
And I want her to set my spess!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
My Lotus setting was made by Sally, and then shipped to. I then went to my jewelers and they set it - it came out perfectly. Sally just needed the measurements of the stone, and a side view so she could gauge the depth.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 8:45:22 PM
Author: icekid

9.gif
The spess? I thought it was just an oval? What''s so unusual about the cut that you think you''d have to mail it to her?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 8:46:21 PM
Date: 5/26/2009 8:45:22 PM

9.gif

The spess? I thought it was just an oval? What''s so unusual about the cut that you think you''d have to mail it to her?

It''s not a "calibrated" type of oval. Its shape is unique enough that I would be worried that the setting would not be quite right. Not sure though; I need to discuss with her a bit further.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh..I see.
I bet if you took pics of the stone at various angles and asked her what measurements she needed, she could make it work depending on the setting...

But keep us posted
9.gif
It''s a lovely spess!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I hope you are right! Though, local setting would be somewhat complicated, too. There is no one that I trust in Delaware, and soon we''re moving to Baltimore. Know any good jewelers in Baltimore, MTG??
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 9:22:36 PM
I hope you are right! Though, local setting would be somewhat complicated, too. There is no one that I trust in Delaware, and soon we''re moving to Baltimore. Know any good jewelers in Baltimore, MTG??
1.gif

Unfortunately, I didn''t have much in the way of jewelery needs in Baltimore. However, there is a large Jared chain around Baltimore if you have a car. They do on the site settings and repairs, I had them fix some prongs for me once and they did a lovely job. They set a lot of Erings and stuff, so I''d imagine their bench jewelers are pretty experienced, and honest about what they can and can''t do. And they also insure it for damages, so I felt pretty comfortable going there.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 9:32:23 PM
Date: 5/26/2009 9:22:36 PM

1.gif

Unfortunately, I didn''t have much in the way of jewelery needs in Baltimore. However, there is a large Jared chain around Baltimore if you have a car. They do on the site settings and repairs, I had them fix some prongs for me once and they did a lovely job. They set a lot of Erings and stuff, so I''d imagine their bench jewelers are pretty experienced, and honest about what they can and can''t do. And they also insure it for damages, so I felt pretty comfortable going there.

Hmm, Jared sounds relatively promising then. We''re living in the burbs anyway, since my hubby needs to be close to 95 for work. I''ll see if I can find anything on yelp eventually.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes! Icekid, I hope you won''t need to send your spess so far away. I''d be too nervous about it getting "lost".
40.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
icekid- when are you getting your setting and your spess set? soon hopefully for some pictures?
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called a local jeweler, but he won't give me a $$ figure yet, until he sees my gem and setting, But in the whitepage, it says he does jewelry repair and others more commercially though...
40.gif
I'll just drop by and see what he says with my current e ring setting, from there, i'm sure I can guestimate on the Lotus ring.. that's only 4 prongs.. so not that difficult I would think, otherwise Jareds sounds good too.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
D&T I just sent to stones to Sally from Australia. A el cheapo turquoise from Ebay and a $300 stone. Both came back in stunning settings safe and sound.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto this. I just sent a 300$ spinel to Sally with registered international and it came back in a wondrous setting, all safe:)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Marie, and Kate. I''ll see what sally says, I don''t have the depth and not sure if I''m going to be quite off just from my standard ruller guessing and I really don''t want my stone to sit too high either, of my stone so I might just send it to her. we shall see.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 11:08:13 PM
Author: Chrono
Yikes! Icekid, I hope you won''t need to send your spess so far away. I''d be too nervous about it getting ''lost''.
40.gif
I pretty much wimped out when I was going to send two stones to Sally. That''s how I ended up sending them to someone else in the states - I was too chicken. I know there have been no problems, but I am too much of a worry wart.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 4:45:59 PM
Author: cinnamon013

Yikes! Icekid, I hope you won''t need to send your spess so far away. I''d be too nervous about it getting ''lost''.
40.gif
I pretty much wimped out when I was going to send two stones to Sally. That''s how I ended up sending them to someone else in the states - I was too chicken. I know there have been no problems, but I am too much of a worry wart.
International, I too kinda worry but i guess thats what insurance is for so I''ll just send it off to her
1.gif
and it''ll all fit nice and snug hopefully

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 5:17:58 PM
Author: D&T

40.gif

International, I too kinda worry but i guess thats what insurance is for so I''ll just send it off to her
1.gif

Actually , Sally recommends not insuring :/ Apparently it makes it more likely to be stolen.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 5:24:58 PM

Date: 5/27/2009 5:17:58 PM
Author: D&T

40.gif

1.gif

Actually , Sally recommends not insuring :/ Apparently it makes it more likely to be stolen.
well thats a wrench in the plan... hmmm now I''m rethinking...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should convo Sally to make sure though, I just thought I remembered reading that from someone on PS

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 5:29:37 PM
You should convo Sally to make sure though, I just thought I remembered reading that from someone on PS
Thanks though, I just sent her a quick email about quotes, but not about the insurance thing I''ll find out for sure. Thanks again!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
That''s what she told me too. Don''t insure as that raises suspicion she said. Just put some folds of magazine pages in the envelope to mask the shape of the little boxes.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 6:01:54 PM

That''s what she told me too. Don''t insure as that raises suspicion she said. Just put some folds of magazine pages in the envelope to mask the shape of the little boxes.
Yeah, I really need to think about it before I send it off. Rather doubt that I have the stomach for it, though
32.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have the stomach for not insuring my gemstones when shipping. I just can''t.
32.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
And to mark the package "synthetic material" too, I think.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I sent Sally a stone by international registered post last week, she now has it. However, it''s not very expensive (less than $200), I''m not sure if I''m willing to send a really high value gem though.

I''m from Australia btw.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results