shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity rings--Full vs. semi, shared prong vs. 4 prong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
XChick-

I have a 1/2 carat princess channel and while I wish it was eternity, I''m glad it''s not. When I got married my finger was a 5 3/4. Now, 2 pregnancies later, its a 6 1/4! I actually have my rings sized at 6 3/8''s so in the summer my rings aren''t tight. If I had had a full eternity, I would have been SOL. Also, I would worry about hitting the grocery cart handle too hard, etc. However, when the kids are older, I totally plan to convince DH to let me go full eternity
31.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I''m pretty unsure on the sizing thing too. My e-ring is a 7 right now and a bit loose, but sometimes it fits fine and others its almost falling off. I think I really need a 6 3/4 or 6 1/2. So, I''m worried if I get a full eternity, my finger sizes will change a lot, since they already seem to. For example, last year I was a 6 1/2, the year before that I was a 7, now I am a 7 again.
33.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen MiniMouse''s ring? It has the best of both worlds:

Link to her thread: here

AAAMinimouse.jpg

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
That does seem to be the absolute best solution. I love it.
30.gif

I am still completely undecided though. I still love the four prong look and even if I do go with shared prong, there''s still the whole WF vs. Facets. I know there''s some people who''ve had problems with shared prongs, I wish they''d chime in so I know what the risks are with having one.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 11:07:46 AM
Author: XChick03
We need pictures! Handshots would be especially helpful.
31.gif
I can''t get my camera to work
7.gif
I''m going to try new batteries. Otherwise I''ll have my daughter help me get pictures on Wednesday when she gets back in town.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I just got my eternity band about a month or so ago and I also have a half eternity with baguettes/rounds. I love my eternity. My other band moves and spins and every time I wear it now it annoys me! I have channel set so I can''t help you with the choice of prongs...I decided with my two kids that for me channel would be best. But I can say with certainty that if you go with full eternity you will not regret it
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
xhick, do a search and read about Demelza''s issues with shared prong, you may find others via search too.

i think mini mouse is one of my fave shared prongs.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 2:49:21 PM
Author: Mara
xhick, do a search and read about Demelza's issues with shared prong, you may find others via search too.

i think mini mouse is one of my fave shared prongs.

I tried to find threads on it, and all I found was this one and Mat's. Both were extremely helpful, but most of the problems in those were with overhang and the diamonds scratching each other or ering prongs. I've heard WF and SP have both fixed that problem, but I'm completely sure. I think that was Dem's problem too, I'll look again for her thread.

ETA re: the diamond scratching problem, Mat posted this in one of those threads:
'Taken from an e-mail from David sent on 9-14-05.
"We understand your concern. We just discovered that the mountings with the matching rings might have a problem with abrading stones. We are currently working with our jeweler to change this. Instead of having the prongs in between each diamond, the jeweler will have the prongs on the outside of each stone. In this case the prongs will protect the diamonds, preventing them from scratching each other."'

So, hopefully they have fixed now.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
xchick i think there was some confusion on if that was fixed or not because dem had asked them about it i think after that email to mat and they had said something like they were still working on it.

so from what i can recall, it was still unclear at end of last year if they had FIXED IT or were just working on it. that is part of what prompted dem to change her setting completely, she wanted a diff style too but i think she just didn't feel comfortable getting a replacement from SP at that point.

anyway, if you can GUARANTEE there's no overhang and scratching, it'd be fab...but not sure if that is the case. oh and i don't know if WF ever had that particular problem? i just recall SP.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I guess I couldn''t find it because the title doesn''t mention eternity or shared prong problems.
33.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 3:04:45 PM
Author: Mara
xchick i think there was some confusion on if that was fixed or not because dem had asked them about it i think after that email to mat and they had said something like they were still working on it.

so from what i can recall, it was still unclear at end of last year if they had FIXED IT or were just working on it. that is part of what prompted dem to change her setting completely, she wanted a diff style too but i think she just didn''t feel comfortable getting a replacement from SP at that point.

anyway, if you can GUARANTEE there''s no overhang and scratching, it''d be fab...but not sure if that is the case. oh and i don''t know if WF ever had that particular problem? i just recall SP.

Hm, that certainly is a lot to think about and has me leaning towards a setting like yours. Especially since I am considering getting a simple solitaire setting for my e-ring, but I don''t want the diamond to eat away at the metal. I could always go with a chanel setting, but I don''t like them as much.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lynn is another WF gal with a custom shared prong and i think WF made hers so that the bottom is slightly, just a hair, thicker than the top in width so that her rings just barely do not touch up top but touch on the bottom. like a tapered shank basically. so you could definitely ask WF about that ! that may be how they do their shared prong settings automatically?

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t remember anyone mentioning problems with a WF eternity set. I don''t think they have as many problems with overhang as SP, but I could be wrong. I will definitely ask Bob when he gets back to me with a quote. It''s taking a little longer because we''re using e-mail instead of the phone. We''re in the process of moving right now, so things are a little crazy.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone here have a bar set eternity? I just saw this one at James Allen and I really like it.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I imagine with a bar setting, there would be more metal and less bling.

I'm also patiently waiting back from WF about a quote.
2.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
A quote on what? Are you holding out on us too?
25.gif

It took WF like 2 days to contact me the first time, now it''s been like 3 days since I''ve heard from them, but with Easter and everything, I imagine they''re busy.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''m trying to get a quote on getting a Wedding pendant made by WF. Perhaps a small halo. My wedding is not till July, but I need something to keep my mind on till then, right?
2.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah, I remember that thread now. Can''t wait to see what you come up with!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Awhile back somebody asked about resizing. I had this ring sized from a 5 1/2 to a 7. I have trouble finding were the work was done.
Please excuse the dirty finger nails.

IMG_2418_1_4_1.JPG

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad I ran into your post. I''m going though this dilema
emotion-40.gif
right now. Full eternity vs. 3/4. Going with WF or SP. Did you ever decide?

thanks
emsmile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results