shape
carat
color
clarity

Ering vs. RHRs... do you have "rules"??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like my e-ring to be a solitaire that stands out on my left ring finger (with my wedding band too). I don't actually have other big diamonds, but if I did I'd probably halo them for a RHR to make them look different than my e-ring. I rarely wear a RHR, though I do love my eternity ring (1.5ct) I purchased for the right hand. I was my hands so many times a day that it annoys me to have TWO hands with rings that are always wet underneath the bands.

Hey, @HappyNewLife! This is my first time having another diamond, so it's very new to me. It really does help that it's a much lower color, has YG in the setting, and is a completely different cut (being an OEC).

Also, I feel you on the whole necessity of our jobs, which is washing hands -- since I'm in the medical field, I wash my hands COUNTLESS times per day, and it's a PITA if a ring gets in the way or makes the process take any longer than necessary! LOL AAMOF, I only started keeping my wedding rings on while I washed my hands when I changed to the Jovyn, as my old halo setting was thicker against the top of my finger and it drives me crazy to have that "wet ring feeling" too... However, I will say that this halo is set really low with only a very small area of the shank touching my skin, making it SUPER comfy and soooo easy to wear while washing my hands -- even more so than my three stone RHR!

I think I've washed my hands at least two dozen times in the 4.5 hours I've been at work so far today, and never once did I think, "well, hell... now I've got to take extra care to dry under this dang ring...", so that's a big plus! :)

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, @HappyNewLife! This is my first time having another diamond, so it's very new to me. It really does help that it's a much lower color, has YG in the setting, and is a completely different cut (being an OEC).

Also, I feel you on the whole necessity of our jobs, which is washing hands -- since I'm in the medical field, I wash my hands COUNTLESS times per day, and it's a PITA if a ring gets in the way or makes the process take any longer than necessary! LOL AAMOF, I only started keeping my wedding rings on while I washed my hands when I changed to the Jovyn, as my old halo setting was thicker against the top of my finger and it drives me crazy to have that "wet ring feeling" too... However, I will say that this halo is set really low with only a very small area of the shank touching my skin, making it SUPER comfy and soooo easy to wear while washing my hands -- even more so than my three stone RHR!

I think I've washed my hands at least two dozen times in the 4.5 hours I've been at work so far today, and never once did I think, "well, hell... now I've got to take extra care to dry under this dang ring...", so that's a big plus! :)

that's a good sign! I've toyed with the idea of getting a 3-stone ring for my right hand, but since I just don't reach for my (what I thought would be my HG) eternity HRH, I've just left it alone for now. There's a super cute emerald cut 3-stone rose gold ring on Loupe Troop right now though... lol

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that's a good sign! I've toyed with the idea of getting a 3-stone ring for my right hand, but since I just don't reach for my (what I thought would be my HG) eternity HRH, I've just left it alone for now. There's a super cute emerald cut 3-stone rose gold ring on Loupe Troop right now though... lol

Ugh!! I saw that three stone EC!! It's so lovely!
I've found that any RHR I wear for any length of time must be bezeled and/or super low profile. I can't handle it if it's too top-heavy/spins or has prongs that will catch... (which is why both of my RHRs are low and bezeled) ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey ya'll! I just wanted to post to say that it's day 2 of wearing my halo, and it seems I'm warming up to wearing it. YAY! I haven't 100% decided to keep it, but it's likely I will.

Thanks to everyone who has commented -- I appreciate all your words of wisdom! ;-)

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@msop04, What a lovely dilemma to have! Though I don't have a second diamond for my e-ring to "compete with" as a RHR *yet*, I do like my RHR's to be a bit on the chunky side. Either very elaborate pieces with CS, or ornate costume pieces. I think that the only "rule" I have is that it MUST be something that doesn't scream E-ring like a soli or another stand alone diamond would. Which is why I think that a similarly sized faint colored OEC wouldn't bother me, esp if it is in a halo...

I do have a little diamond .5cttw promise ring that my DF got me when we were in high school that I wear as a RHR about 80% of the time. It has a lot more sentimental value to me than my e-ring at the moment so I'm not sure that it's in competition, so much as in harmony.

I am glad to read that you've been able to wear your ring the last two days and it may just be the adjustment period. Give it some time, you never know...it might be your go to RHR by then! It is beginning to sound like the attention being paid to your new OEC is what's putting you off wearing it and not so much the size...fingers crossed for a great outcome!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, no rules for me:P2 Glad to hear you are starting to enjoy that beautiful ring!

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04, What a lovely dilemma to have! Though I don't have a second diamond for my e-ring to "compete with" as a RHR *yet*, I do like my RHR's to be a bit on the chunky side. Either very elaborate pieces with CS, or ornate costume pieces. I think that the only "rule" I have is that it MUST be something that doesn't scream E-ring like a soli or another stand alone diamond would. Which is why I think that a similarly sized faint colored OEC wouldn't bother me, esp if it is in a halo...

I do have a little diamond .5cttw promise ring that my DF got me when we were in high school that I wear as a RHR about 80% of the time. It has a lot more sentimental value to me than my e-ring at the moment so I'm not sure that it's in competition, so much as in harmony.

I am glad to read that you've been able to wear your ring the last two days and it may just be the adjustment period. Give it some time, you never know...it might be your go to RHR by then! It is beginning to sound like the attention being paid to your new OEC is what's putting you off wearing it and not so much the size...fingers crossed for a great outcome!

Thank you, @metall !!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, no rules for me:P2 Glad to hear you are starting to enjoy that beautiful ring!

That must be such a freeing thing mentally -- HA!! #crazyblinggal ;-)

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That must be such a freeing thing mentally -- HA!! #crazyblinggal ;-)

I bet we can all train our brains to think the same ....

Thank you, @metall !!

Your ring is so gorgeous it would be sad if you didn't get to enjoy it as much as we enjoy the pictures of it.

One suggestion I have is to do ootd pics everyday you're getting used to the ring. It could be that physically seeing the rings side by side is causing you mental discomfort. But, when you take far away prospective shots of yourself and how the rings blend into your day to day outfits ( like a lay person would see ) you might find that the difference in appearance is because your perspective of the ring is what throws you off.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey ya'll!! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday!!

I just wanted to come back to tell you guys that I have made a decision with regards to my new halo RHR...

I'M KEEPING HER!!!!!! YAAAAAAAYYYY!!
A HUGE thank you to everyone who gave suggestions and encouragement! I've worn her everyday since I last posted that I would.

THANKS SO MUCH, YA'LL!!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So great to hear that @msop04 ! She is such a beauty and so glad that you are enjoying her!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HAPPY THANKSGIVING....or was it Happy Blingsgiving?

I am so happy for you @msop04 !! I hope you're able to make up for lost time by wearing her often and with many fond thoughts! So happy for you!!

Sometimes a little crazy in the journey makes the destination just that much sweeter I think.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
couple more basic rules, if you live in a $500k home..

you can buy a car up to $45k= 9% of your home value.
you can buy a E-ring up to $50k = 10% of your home value.

Based on that, I should be walking around with a huuuuuge rock :lol: Mr A doesn’t agree, and it’s sooo not going to happen :roll2:

Who makes up these rules?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HAPPY THANKSGIVING....or was it Happy Blingsgiving?

I am so happy for you @msop04 !! I hope you're able to make up for lost time by wearing her often and with many fond thoughts! So happy for you!!

Sometimes a little crazy in the journey makes the destination just that much sweeter I think.

Thanks, @metal!! You are so right!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very happy that you decided to keep your gorgeous RHR . :appl:

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Wonderful news! I've been watching this thread for the outcome, I'm pleased, as I'm sure you are too!

We need more pics!!!:kiss2:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad you got through your ‘settling in’ period and fell for her charms on your hand as well as in the box! Congrats again on a truly stunning RHR.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news! I've been watching this thread for the outcome, I'm pleased, as I'm sure you are too!

We need more pics!!!:kiss2:

Thanks, @lalala! I'll post more pics for sure when things calm down in the clinic! #tistheseasonforillness

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad you got through your ‘settling in’ period and fell for her charms on your hand as well as in the box! Congrats again on a truly stunning RHR.

Thanks so much, @lissyflo!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pictures tho

alamana

Shiny_Rock
I just went through this -- thinking about it anyway. I just got married (y'all helped with the ering a couple years ago!), and thought why not have a rhr to symbolize my commitment to myself? To health, and hard work, and creativity and all that? And sure enough, there was a rule in my head -- I felt strongly about the rhr being a colored stone. But I didn't want a LOT of color for some reason. So I went over to the CS forum and got some help finding a pink asscher-cut stone and ended up getting this zircon: https://www.etsy.com/listing/538802712/holiday-sale-excellent-bright-pink?show_sold_out_detail=1

I'm heading over to Quest Jewelers this weekend, assuming I have the stone by then, to get it set. I'm super excited. I'm thinking custom with a delicate halo, but we'll see what they've got in the cases as well. I'm getting lucky, they have a big sale going this weekend...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went through this -- thinking about it anyway. I just got married (y'all helped with the ering a couple years ago!), and thought why not have a rhr to symbolize my commitment to myself? To health, and hard work, and creativity and all that? And sure enough, there was a rule in my head -- I felt strongly about the rhr being a colored stone. But I didn't want a LOT of color for some reason. So I went over to the CS forum and got some help finding a pink asscher-cut stone and ended up getting this zircon: https://www.etsy.com/listing/538802712/holiday-sale-excellent-bright-pink?show_sold_out_detail=1

I'm heading over to Quest Jewelers this weekend, assuming I have the stone by then, to get it set. I'm super excited. I'm thinking custom with a delicate halo, but we'll see what they've got in the cases as well. I'm getting lucky, they have a big sale going this weekend...

I totally get you, @alamana! I can't wait to see what you do with that gorgeous zircon!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really didn't have much to add before. Now I have an opinion on it. I never want a rhr to outshine my ering for sure. I got the spring gulch by cvb for a daily rhr and it doesn't compete. I really like the rose cut diamond in it specifically because not a lot of people know it's a diamond, lol. Most in my circle don't know the cut and just see it as a ring. Even so, most days my right hand is bare. Maybe a couple of stackers on days I feel like having a bit of bling.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results