shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring setting guidelines?

ajuma

Rough_Rock
Are there any guidelines when looking for a setting? I've found a setting that I like and am thinking of finding a local jeweler to recreate it as a custom design.

The setting I'm thinking of is this one and I'm thinking of getting of getting it in platinum. http://m.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/w-prong-diamond-solitaire-by-wf-287.htm

I figure going custom with a local jeweler, I can
1) get/see a wax model in person to be more certain I will like it
2) consider making it 2.5 width instead of 3.5
3) confirm my ring size
4) get my diamond set after setting is created with same jeweler

Is there anything to be on the lookout for..eg certain style and/or widths which may be better?

Also, what makes a ring resizable? I noticed it said it isnt resizable and i am wondering if that should be a concern and if there would be a way to make any changes to allow the ring to become resizable?

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
The custom setting route is often problematic. If you search PriceScope for "custom setting woes" you will find that many, many ring-buyers had huge regret, disappointment, wasted time, effort, and money, for the final outcome which is often not what they wanted. You would be very wise to use the search function and read some of these tales before you embark on this project. For some reason, many local jewelers promise what they can't deliver.

On the other hand, asking Whiteflash, who CAN make this ring, to customize it for you, makes sense. Whiteflash is a reputable vendor with generally reasonable prices and a high quality, well-made product.

Read the threads first, whatever you do. If you decide to have a local shop make the ring for you, reading where it has gone wrong for others will help you know what to ask for and what conditions (fully returnable if you're not satisfied!) to insist upon.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring should be re-sizable. I couldnt find where it said that it was not. Of course you want to get your size right the
first time.

ajuma

Rough_Rock
@sagefemme Whiteflash site indicates they only do custom settings if using their diamond (I will be supplying my own diamond).
Makes me wonder if I should just purchase from them without customization.
I will search and read through the threads further
Thanks!
@tyty333 sorry the link i posted was the mobile link..from there if you click on full site button at the bottom of the page, it says resizable = no (under jewelry information)

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Brian Gavin will allow you to buy one of their setting, but they charge $70 to set the supplied diamond. They will not sell the setting alone otherwise. Just another option.

Brian Gavin used to be the cutter at Whiteflash. His setting are of similar quality. Excellent diamonds as well!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ajuma|1468878559|4056832 said:
* * * @tyty333 sorry the link i posted was the mobile link..from there if you click on full site button at the bottom of the page, it says resizable = no (under jewelry information)
I'm thinking that's a blooper; the drop-down menu for ring sizes enables you to select from a wide range of sizes (3-9, Other).

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't assume anything about that setting without contacting Whiteflash. They have incredible customer service, so you could ask about the sizing thing. I am guessing that's incorrect information on the mobile site, because there's absolutely nothing about that setting that would make resizing difficult. Typically, styles with diamonds on the shank--the part that goes around the finger--or that are very delicate, are more difficult, if not impossible, to size, but this ring has neither of those issues--and you'd get the ring in your size to begin with, resizing is only needed if your finger changes size later. Whiteflash will make the ring in the size you order.

And you could also ask about narrowing the shank, or creating a version of that ring with a narrower shank. Whiteflash does custom work, and they may be willing to modify this setting (I know I asked them about narrowing the shank on another ring, and they said it was possible, so definitely worth it to ask).

And what is the reason for getting a stone elsewhere? Honestly, doing that and getting a setting somewhere else... you are just making things overly complicated for yourself. Get stone and setting from the same place and they put the two together. Whiteflash has amazing stones. Are you looking for a round stone, or a different shape?

As for not being sure if you'll like the setting, you can try on settings locally to get an idea of the elements you like (width of the shank, height of the diamond in the setting, etc.).

Are you selecting this ring for yourself, or for someone else? I strongly suggest getting what you want, if you're the one wearing this, but if this will be worn by future wife, find out what she wants and get that.

ajuma

Rough_Rock
I'll check out briangavin and contact whiteflash with my questions

I already have the diamond. I was planning to try on settings at local stores to get a better idea of how it will look. From the pics and video, I'm pretty sure I will like it as is (ring will be for me :) )

Is it an option and/or does it make sense to buy the setting from whiteflash(either as is or custom if they allow) and then bring to a local jeweler to set the two together?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
ajuma|1468943917|4057143 said:
I'll check out briangavin and contact whiteflash with my questions

I already have the diamond. I was planning to try on settings at local stores to get a better idea of how it will look. From the pics and video, I'm pretty sure I will like it as is (ring will be for me :) )

Is it an option and/or does it make sense to buy the setting from whiteflash(either as is or custom if they allow) and then bring to a local jeweler to set the two together?

You can purchase settings from Whiteflash without a center stone. When you click on the "Select This Ring" button, you can choose "purchase without a center diamond."

Recommended for having an outside jeweler set a stone into a Whiteflash setting--really make sure the jeweler/bench is up to the task. Ask to see other examples of rings they have set, with the prongs looking how you want them to. And insure the stone with some place like Jeweler's Mutual so that, in case the jeweler chips or damages the stone during setting, you are insured against damage.

ajuma

Rough_Rock
Or should I buy the setting from whiteflash and send them my stone to set? What I had really liked about the setting was that it looked like hearts without being actual hearts and just found the following post which makes it sound like it's not something just any jeweler will be able to do...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/incre%C3%ADble-my-whiteflash-w-prong-is-here.87600/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/incre%C3%ADble-my-whiteflash-w-prong-is-here.87600/[/URL]

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
ajuma|1468946762|4057177 said:
Or should I buy the setting from whiteflash and send them my stone to set? What I had really liked about the setting was that it looked like hearts without being actual hearts and just found the following post which makes it sound like it's not something just any jeweler will be able to do...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/incre%C3%ADble-my-whiteflash-w-prong-is-here.87600/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/incre%C3%ADble-my-whiteflash-w-prong-is-here.87600/[/URL]

Right, that's why you want to talk to Whiteflash and your local jeweler. If the prongs looking like that are important, I'd only trust Whiteflash (show them images from that thread so they know exactly what type of prongs you are looking for).

They do set outside stones that are GIA or AGS certified, there's a $150 setting fee (worth it, in my opinion), and you'd have to insure your diamond while it's being set: http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/whiteflash-policies/working-with-customers-diamonds-and-jewelry-875.htm

ajuma

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much..I've sent an email to whiteflash with my questions. I think I'm leaning towards sending the stone to whiteflash. I have the feeling local jeweler will claim they can do anything and end up with different end result.

Is there a good way to confirm ring size? Ive gone to two different places and was told different sizes. 1st place said 2.75 and 2nd place said 3.5. I've requested a plastic ring sizer in the mail to see. I don't have existing rings to determine size and not too sure how tight/loose they should be :/

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ajuma|1468953770|4057247 said:
Thanks so much..I've sent an email to whiteflash with my questions. I think I'm leaning towards sending the stone to whiteflash. I have the feeling local jeweler will claim they can do anything and end up with different end result.

Is there a good way to confirm ring size? Ive gone to two different places and was told different sizes. 1st place said 2.75 and 2nd place said 3.5. I've requested a plastic ring sizer in the mail to see. I don't have existing rings to determine size and not too sure how tight/loose they should be :/

That's a huge difference, especially in these smaller sizes... I'm a 3.75 and I know a 3 would be wretchedly tight most days!
Was it hot on the day/at the time you were sized at 3.5? Cold when you were told 2.75?
Did both places use metal sizers? How wide were the sizers?

Ideally you want to be sized on a hot day (after you've been in the heat, not after several hours in an air-conditioned building on a hot day ::) ) using metal sizers of approximately the width your shank will be (needn't be exact but 8mm wide bands will fit more tightly than 2mm wide bands).

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
ajuma|1468953770|4057247 said:

Could it be you were told 3.75 and 3.5? I can't see someone's finger being 2.75 and then 3.5 unless something really wacky was going on (totally different sizing rings? lots of water retention?).

You could print a ring sizer like this one and take measurements at different times of day: http://www.licketycut.com/printableringsizer.pdf The problem with paper sizers, though, is that you will only be getting the circumference of your finger, and not able to try to get the ring over your knuckle. That's not a problem for some people, but for me, it is, because my knuckle is wider than my finger--so I have to get my rings big enough to fit over the knuckle but tight enough that they don't spin like crazy. Ah, first world problems. :???:

Edited to add another idea: order a few different sizes of a ring like this from Etsy, wear them for a few days, and see which feels the best: https://www.etsy.com/listing/192984375/gold-ring-or-rose-gold-ring-textured But I have a sneaking suspicion that you are either a 3.75 or 3.5 and they just told you the wrong size.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, even metal mandrels & those sets of sizer rings on a hoop are not all uniform; you'll see in this thread that Trade member Lee Little had 3 mandrels that proved to be inconsistent with each other:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-do-you-properly-measure-ring-size-on-a-mandrel.199854/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-do-you-properly-measure-ring-size-on-a-mandrel.199854/[/URL]

And not everyone in jewelry shops uses mandrels as a measuring device in the same way. So my suggestion would be to buy a cheap ring that fits you comfortably and is 3.5 mm wide (or close to it) -- and send that to Whiteflash or have your local jeweler follow the pointers provided by the Trade members in the link above. :))

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ajuma|1468863427|4056754 said:
Are there any guidelines when looking for a setting? I've found a setting that I like and am thinking of finding a local jeweler to recreate it as a custom design.

The setting I'm thinking of is this one and I'm thinking of getting of getting it in platinum. http://m.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/w-prong-diamond-solitaire-by-wf-287.htm ...

The shank on that is a standard cathedral type shank. There are many variations and many sources of cathedral shanks. A jeweler can easily find you a narrower one. Example: Roseco's cathedrals. https://store.roseco.com/c-85-cathedral-shanks.aspx

The head is the part that is custom Whiteflash design. Stuller makes heads and mountings called "Hearts on Top" that are actual hearts. Whether or not the prongs end up looking like nice little hearts depends on what the jeweler does with them. It's possible to convert the Hearts On Top into ordinary prongs, and it is also possible to make split prongs look heart-like the way they do in the Whiteflash ring.
In other words, there are more ways than one to get a ring with heart-shape prongs, if that is the major feature that appeals to you.

ajuma

Rough_Rock
It was cold when they told me 2.75. Both were metal but i dont know the width. I tried another place today and they initially said 2.75 but it was really difficult to remove the metal sizer. 3 seemed a little tight as well but i dont know if that is how tight it should be. Definitely wasn't 3.75. I like the idea of buying a cheapo ring to wear and test out.
Sigh...I didnt realize this whole engagement ring search would take so long....I thought it was just know your 4cs..go to the store and leave with ring...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results