carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring on a budget

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pfunk|1435272813|3894387 said:
The fact that he (possibly) used scare tactics to persuade you off your purchase by claiming all strong blue fluorescent stones will look milky would be enough to keep me from using him. Even if that isn't what he was doing, he is completely wrong to say it WILL be milky/hazy without having ever seen it. Actually, it it much more likely to be completely transparent as only a fraction of strong blue stones are actually hazy. Are you CERTAIN that gabriel & co can't make the ring to accomodate your center stone? That is the brand of ring I bought and they seemed open to a lot of customizing. I would be sure to check with them if you haven't already.

This exactly. I would not deal with this jeweler -- AT ALL... for anything... EVER AGAIN. :nono:

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
yea he seemed like he was being genuine but he made fluorescence sound like it was the devil but everyone here says it't really not a big deal.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your other option (not sure why I didnt think of this earlier) is to work with ID Jewelry. They are a Gab & Co dealer...I'm
pretty sure they give discounts on them but don't quote me. They are also very good at working in budgets. You can read
some of their reviews on PS. Tell them that you are a PSer and let them know what you are trying to do. Tell them you want
a PS quality stone to fit in that setting.

http://www.idjewelry.com/

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1435281578|3894473 said:
Your other option (not sure why I didnt think of this earlier) is to work with ID Jewelry. They are a Gab & Co dealer...I'm
pretty sure they give discounts on them but don't quote me. They are also very good at working in budgets. You can read
some of their reviews on PS. Tell them that you are a PSer and let them know what you are trying to do. Tell them you want
a PS quality stone to fit in that setting.

http://www.idjewelry.com/

if u can vouch for them I will give them a try. I just feel like this diamond business is super shady :-/

Nervousgent

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't necessarily say that the jeweler was doing a disservice by telling op to avoid fluorescence. It is a very commonly held opinion to avoid strong fluorescence as a rule to avoid the chance of paying for an awful diamond. It is true that some strong blue has no affect but it is still a good rule to stay in the realm of none to medium. I have a few friends that graduated from the gia and they all said to avoid it as a rule even though at times it can have minimum effect. Having said that, his overhead likely forces him to have larger profit margins so less of your budget will go towards the diamond compared to online buying. Also, I know for a fact that gabriel can make a setting for any size diamond but there may be an extra charge of a few hundred dollars. ID Jewelers is one of their recommended vendors. I just recently went through the process of purchasing a gabriel semi mount so I have some experience.

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
i searched on here and people say to ask for Yekutiel and for a pricescope discount (or just say you were referred from pricescope). So I will definitely give them a ring. I'm just wondering if I should try to get the diamond and the setting through them or just the setting and order my diamond from JamesAllen. Would there be an advantage to purchasing both through them?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If that diamond is one of JA's virtual inventory selections there is a decent chance ID could get the same stone in for you. It would be nice to get it all done in one place. If they can't get that stone, there is a good chance they can find something as good or better within your budget.

Nervousgent

Rough_Rock
A lot of times you can get a better deal on a setting if you order the diamond and the setting from the same jeweler. I'd try to see if you can also get the diamond from ID

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results