shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring on a budget

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
I've posted here about doing a yellow sapphire in a verragio setting. Here is the setting
http://www.verragio.com/Verragio-Engagement-Rings/Couture-Engagement-Rings/COUTURE-0426R-TT?slide=&s_prod_ring_type=undefined&s_col_id=59&s_price_range=0&s_prod_shape=&s_prod_setting=&s_order_by=prod_is_popular&s_is_search=undefined&s_prod_metal_type=undefined&s_prod_gemstones=undefined

I've managed to get it down to 3250. It is the exact setting my gf wants. I really don't want to disappoint. I talked to her and told her I couldn't afford a diamond in the ring. She likes yellow sapphires. She is totally ok with a yellow sapphire in this setting. I'm on the fence. I think it looks nice but with the rose gold inside i think it'll look weird. I have seen this setting with a .9 carat stone and it looks good due to the halo design. my original budget was 5k. I know I can't get a diamond for $1750 in that size that will suffice for an engagement ring.

Can I get a respectable and beautiful diamond for 3k. That would put my budget at 6.25k but I'd be willing to go a little higher to have a one and done ring. I'd rather not feel pressure down the road to "upgrade" it because it's not a diamond. It'd have to go well with the setting. Thank you guys already btw you've already been a lot of help.

P.s if anyone remembers my original thread veraggio says it can be resized and my jeweler says they'll cover it.

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
Honestly if I was in your shoes I'd just hold off and save up just a little more and that way you won't have to sacrifice on certain qualities.

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
I keep looking at James Allen.com and thinking I could prob pull off a nice stone for 3k

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you suggested to get her a nice diamond now, but in a simple setting that she can wear and enjoy/"get to know" her diamond for awhile? Then, maybe upgrade the setting later? It seems (and my perception may be off here) that most ladies tastes (my own included) change over time, be it due to changes in lifestyle, wearability, activities, or just what's "in style". I love vintage antique styles, and have had a few, but quickly found I rarely wore them because they were too delicate for everyday wear, and I was afraid of risking damage. So now, I opt for more "whackable", life-proof styles. It wasn't an easy (nor inexpensive) realization. Just a thought.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
I suggest a Verragio replica ring and the largest diamond you can afford in your budget. ID Jewelry actually has a setting that looks similar in the $1700 range. Leaves a lot more budgrt for a diamond. Dont put the cart before the horse. And dont be fooled by all the fugazi sapphires floating around. A certified high quality pecision cut sapphire is almost as expensive as a diamond of same size.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know how I feel about the setting but if she's dead set on it then I guess you should buy it.

As for the sapphire, if she's on with it then that's what matters, if you're concerned about the rose gold, ask them to custom make it with yellow, or all white gold.

Many people here will have suggestions of what they would do, but its not our ring. If you've doescussed it with her and that's really what she wants, then get it for her.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
If you have $6K budget you can purchase a spectacular diamond engagement ring IF you stop messing around with overpriced designer settings. A yellow sapphire in that setting is a decision both of you will regret over the long term. Dont do it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking the same thing. I would get the largest diamond in a simple setting. BUT .......Not everyones priorities are the same. If she LOVES that setting, then I would get a well cut stone in the J/K range. It's a very pretty and unique look and if she has her heart set on it, I would go that route. I also came upon the James Allen stone. Maybe call and tell them what you're trying to do. Good luck. Let us know whatever you decide.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When does your significant other anticipate wearing her engagement ring? To work? nights and weekends? all day long while doing chores?

The reason why I am asking these questions is that the more often you wear that style setting, the more likely you are to possibly "whack" out that surprise diamond that would be on the palm side of her hand. Also, the surprise diamond being smack in the middle, palm side - will that affect the ability to size the ring in the future if she were to gain/lose eight?

I also would vote for putting the majority of the budget into the diamond and a simple solitaire setting, then upgrading the setting on an anniversary.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
If your SO loves the verragio setting then I would get it. It isn't usually the popular view around here, but some care just as much or more about the setting than about the centre stone, and would not be happy going the larger stone with simple solitaire route. Some also care about the designer names. Your choices here really depend on your SO's tastes and priorities and what will make her feel pleased and proud about her ring.

As far as a yellow sapphire- I would only go that route if she loves yellow and sapphires. Not as a second tier substitute. Coloured stones are beautiful and I would be every bit as proud to wear a fine sapphire in an e-ring as a diamond. If your SO feels the same, then a sapphire makes a wonderful option, but if not, the ring may not feel right in the long run.

I haven't read your other thread, so this may be redundant, but can you present your SO with all the options that are in budget and let her choose? That's what I would want.

Good luck!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get her the setting she wants. She's an adult and knows her own mind, so I'd trust her on this. if at some point in the future she decides it didn't work out to her expectations, then no problem. HOWEVER....

I would put a 1ct CZ (cubic zirconium) in it. A yellow sapphire won't be feasible in that particular setting long term if she hopes to wear it more than a little. And then...down the track, when the CZ is no longer looking its best...say for a 5th anniversary....

A yellow diamond. Best of all worlds!

ETA I'd be asking them to remove that point on the band that would go into the palm of her hand. It may also be possible to replace the rose gold with white gold / platinum, if you and your fiancee aren't fond of the rose.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I'm all for getting her what she wants -- regardless of what we think. However, has she seen this exact Verragio setting in real life?? I've found that some designer brands look amazing on TV and in print ads, but were very disappointing in person (Verragio and Tacori, for example). If she has and loves it, then great... but if not, I highly suggest you find a jeweler who has it and let her inspect it.

Regarding the sapphire... I'd just buy the setting she wants and do a CZ or other simulant until you can put a diamond in it. Just my two cents though... :halo:

Good Luck!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1435248451|3894120 said:
I would get her the setting she wants. She's an adult and knows her own mind, so I'd trust her on this. if at some point in the future she decides it didn't work out to her expectations, then no problem. HOWEVER....

I would put a 1ct CZ (cubic zirconium) in it. A yellow sapphire won't be feasible in that particular setting long term if she hopes to wear it more than a little. And then...down the track, when the CZ is no longer looking its best...say for a 5th anniversary....

ETA I'd be asking them to remove that point on the band that would go into the palm of her hand. It may also be possible to replace the rose gold with white gold / platinum, if you and your fiancee aren't fond of the rose.

Same thoughts!! :bigsmile:

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
Ok so I talk to her mom and read your replies. Thank you all for your input btw.

Here's what I'm thinking. Do The Gabriel and Co setting
https://www.tqdiamonds.com/shop-online/gabriel/gabriel-14-karat-contemporary-engagement-ring-er7729w44jj.html

Have them do the bridge underneath in Rose Gold so it has the same flavor as the verragio setting and do a nice size diamond. If I can get the setting down to $1200-1500 that would allow me to go to 3-4k for the diamond which I think would be better. The tipping point whas when I looked at the matching Verragio Wedding bands. They were like 4k.... smh

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1435248683|3894123 said:
mrs-blop|1435248451|3894120 said:

Same thoughts!! :bigsmile:

Lol - yes, i saw that! Great minds. :D :wavey: :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new plan sounds very practical. :appl:

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
i'm thinking if i get this stone I can still do either setting but i can figure out which one it'll work best for.

Nervousgent

Rough_Rock
I'm not expert, but it seems like a decent choice for your budget. The only consideration is the color and whether or not this specific si1 is eye clean. J is where you may be able to notice a tiny tinge of yellow from what I've read but if well cut, it should still face up white.

Nervousgent

Rough_Rock
If you decid to go with the cheaper gabriel and co setting than it may be worth upping your budget 2k in order to get a center stone you're really happy with.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nervousgent|1435255421|3894211 said:
I'm not expert, but it seems like a decent choice for your budget. The only consideration is the color and whether or not this specific si1 is eye clean. J is where you may be able to notice a tiny tinge of yellow from what I've read but if well cut, it should still face up white.

At that size, it will face up very white... there may be a minimal tint from the side, but the setting the OP chose (the G&Co) will hide that view quite well. I have a 2.43 J (larger stones will show more tint), and I'm extremely happy with it. When you look at it, the last thing you think is yellow... :wavey: :wavey:

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
So i went to a jeweler in town to order the setting and he says the diamomd isnt going to be good due to florescence being strong blue. He says it will be milky in the sun. Can anyone confirm what a strong blue florescence will have affect on the stones visual performance?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thebestromano|1435266868|3894324 said:
So i went to a jeweler in town to order the setting and he says the diamomd isnt going to be good due to florescence being strong blue. He says it will be milky in the sun. Can anyone confirm what a strong blue florescence will have affect on the stones visual performance?

You need to call JA and ask them if the florescence has any affect on the stone. That jeweler does not know unless he has called
someone and talked to them about it. Very few stones are affected badly due to florescence. Call JA an ask.

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
so i spoke to JA and they said it will not have any affect on the visual performance of the stone. However I called Gabriel and Co and the problem is the diamond is too small for the setting. The setting takes a 6.5 mm stone with a minimum of 6.3 mm stone for the setting. The stone from JA is 6.14mm so back to the drawing board. I think I'm gonna go through the jeweler in town, the guy is a Gabriel and Co vendor and seemed to be very practical and helpful and was offering a discount with cash since he owns the store. I may just give the guy my budget and ask him to make it work and make it look as good as possible. I just don't think I can save any money trying to piece this together on my own. :(
http://eshop.skieweb.staging.gabrielny.com/product/ER7729W44JJ

thebestromano

Rough_Rock
being of the interent generation giving all my faith to a local jeweler blindly makes me worried.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The fact that he (possibly) used scare tactics to persuade you off your purchase by claiming all strong blue fluorescent stones will look milky would be enough to keep me from using him. Even if that isn't what he was doing, he is completely wrong to say it WILL be milky/hazy without having ever seen it. Actually, it it much more likely to be completely transparent as only a fraction of strong blue stones are actually hazy. Are you CERTAIN that gabriel & co can't make the ring to accomodate your center stone? That is the brand of ring I bought and they seemed open to a lot of customizing. I would be sure to check with them if you haven't already.

lxAsTrOxl

Shiny_Rock
thebestromano|1435271633|3894378 said:
so i spoke to JA and they said it will not have any affect on the visual performance of the stone. However I called Gabriel and Co and the problem is the diamond is too small for the setting. The setting takes a 6.5 mm stone with a minimum of 6.3 mm stone for the setting. The stone from JA is 6.14mm so back to the drawing board. I think I'm gonna go through the jeweler in town, the guy is a Gabriel and Co vendor and seemed to be very practical and helpful and was offering a discount with cash since he owns the store. I may just give the guy my budget and ask him to make it work and make it look as good as possible. I just don't think I can save any money trying to piece this together on my own. :(
http://eshop.skieweb.staging.gabrielny.com/product/ER7729W44JJ

If this is the same jeweler that told you the diamond was no good because of the flour without even seeing the diamond himself I'd run as far as I could from that used car sales man.... errrr I mean "jeweler".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results