shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring design :)

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you :mrgreen2: :mrgreen2:

7 mm at the top and 16 mm ring size (I think I'm 15.7, J 1/2 in Australia). I could go lower than 7 mm as there is room between the swirls and basket, depending on the size of the princess cut, but I thought it might be good to keep the center stone accessible this way.

I think it should be metal as it would be too thin otherwise (and a pain to keep clean?). It looks a bit thick with the metal like this, but I've made 2 options:

14.jpg 15.jpg

You might want to take a look at the shape of your fingers and empty space between your fingers. My fingers are extremely close together and I didn't realize how irksome my last ring would turn out due to the height of the ring between the two fingers- some people do get used to it.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Alistair suggested this for my old design
AK.png

@Matthews1127
This is from the link you shared: I think this would go well with the basket and the radiant cut corners
Isabelle heart prong.jpg

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
You might want to take a look at the shape of your fingers and empty space between your fingers. My fingers are extremely close together and I didn't realize how irksome my last ring would turn out due to the height of the ring between the two fingers- some people do get used to it.

Yeah I can imagine. I've been wearing an older ring to test if I'm comfortable with the height and it's quite thick. It takes a bit of getting used to and thinner feels better.

The design is currently 2 mm wide on the side. I've got rings in 1.5 and 2 that are comfortable, although I prefer the 1.5. I think it should be fairly easy to make it 1.5.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like that's your personality on here as well and I enjoy reading your posts. I think we are a bit similar :oops2::mrgreen2:

I've read some of your ring journeys and found it interesting to see that you're a perfectionist like me. I have felt like being "too much" during this process several times but honestly, I used to design, style, graphic design, copywrite, make earrings, etc and have missed being creative in other ways lately as my current job doesn't allow for me to be creative like in previous jobs. This project is not just about the end result but the journey too. People don't seem to understand that I actually enjoy the process. As I've mentioned before, I think I might be a PS-er :D

Thank you very much, I appreciate the kind words. ;)2

You are correct, I have a perfectionist inside of me. I always have. It's both a strength and weakness, as many things do require getting up close & personal to resolve. Yet at the same time, I constantly remind myself to zoom back and keep seeing the big picture. I think it's a unique ability to be able to zoom in and out to gain different perspectives, yet it drives some people nuts.

Don't worry what others think. Someone will always have a negative comment for whichever direction you go. So my philosophy is jump head first into the deep end! If you're too much for someone, then they probably aren't the right people for you anyhow.

And I agree -- the project is all about the journey, not just the final destination. I had so much fun designing my girl's ring. It was truly the process/journey I enjoyed. Don't take me wrong, I'm very happy with the finished product, but the journey was truly special. So let your creative juices flow and unless that inner design beast. From what we've seen thus far, you are quite talented.

@sledge thanks for the thorough information :D I have started a base design in the right scale a few days ago and will try and finish some designs today.

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you :mrgreen2: :mrgreen2:

7 mm at the top and 16 mm ring size (I think I'm 15.7, J 1/2 in Australia). I could go lower than 7 mm as there is room between the swirls and basket, depending on the size of the princess cut, but I thought it might be good to keep the center stone accessible this way.

I think it should be metal as it would be too thin otherwise (and a pain to keep clean?). It looks a bit thick with the metal like this, but I've made 2 options:

14.jpg 15.jpg

So I was looking at this tonight and something about the curly Q's is out of whack to me. I was playing with the design a little and think I nailed on some of the points. I'm not sure it's exactly where I'd want it to be, but I'll share what I have.

I used different colors to illustrate different points:
  • Red - I really like the idea of having the prongs wrap down into the curly Q's so it looks like everything just flows naturally. Also you had a piece that stretched across the width of the ring that wasn't really that curved and just looked kind of flat to me. This kills two birds with one stone IMO.
  • Blue - I felt the curly Q's need to be snugged up to the prongs a little. Excuse the chicken scratch, as I'm on my laptop and it looks like a 5-year old drew them. But hopefully you can see what I was trying to accomplish.
  • Green - I thought this section just kind of fizzled out and died into the ring a little abruptly. I tried to add a little more interest.
I definitely like having the lower band as it feels completed, and also adds some structural integrity and rigidness to the overall design.

Inked14_LI.jpg

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think that if you know the final design send it to a good CAD designers and ask for separate band and prongs head, the goldsmith will be able to polish it from all sides.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a variation on your most recent posting for you to consider. What strikes me is that you have plain gallery over the diamond and that all this detail below and that creates a visual disconnect.

So, I lowered the diamond so that the culet is behind the bezel princess. That requires you lower the shoulder (yellow and shift the blue swirls a bit (black). The red swirly part flow out of the east-west tips of the bezel so it feel connected. I did not draw it here, but I would terminate each swirl inner bit very very close to the metal to avoid things sliding between the metal.

upload_2018-9-2_14-12-58.png

Once you get this design nailed down as YOU like it, I think we need revisit the shoulder. What about adding a kite-set princess here? Terrible execution, but you get the idea...then have your pave below.

upload_2018-9-2_14-22-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-2_14-2-33.png
    upload_2018-9-2_14-2-33.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 20
  • upload_2018-9-2_14-11-14.png
    upload_2018-9-2_14-11-14.png
    199.4 KB · Views: 15
  • upload_2018-9-2_14-19-20.png
    upload_2018-9-2_14-19-20.png
    269.2 KB · Views: 18

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Thank you very much, I appreciate the kind words. ;)2

You are correct, I have a perfectionist inside of me. I always have. It's both a strength and weakness, as many things do require getting up close & personal to resolve. Yet at the same time, I constantly remind myself to zoom back and keep seeing the big picture. I think it's a unique ability to be able to zoom in and out to gain different perspectives, yet it drives some people nuts.

Don't worry what others think. Someone will always have a negative comment for whichever direction you go. So my philosophy is jump head first into the deep end! If you're too much for someone, then they probably aren't the right people for you anyhow.

And I agree -- the project is all about the journey, not just the final destination. I had so much fun designing my girl's ring. It was truly the process/journey I enjoyed. Don't take me wrong, I'm very happy with the finished product, but the journey was truly special. So let your creative juices flow and unless that inner design beast. From what we've seen thus far, you are quite talented.

Thank you so much, really appreciate that =)2 I'll happily take that advice :kiss2:

(Sorry bit in a rush, I'll respond later)

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
So I was looking at this tonight and something about the curly Q's is out of whack to me. I was playing with the design a little and think I nailed on some of the points. I'm not sure it's exactly where I'd want it to be, but I'll share what I have.

I used different colors to illustrate different points:
  • Red - I really like the idea of having the prongs wrap down into the curly Q's so it looks like everything just flows naturally. Also you had a piece that stretched across the width of the ring that wasn't really that curved and just looked kind of flat to me. This kills two birds with one stone IMO.
  • Blue - I felt the curly Q's need to be snugged up to the prongs a little. Excuse the chicken scratch, as I'm on my laptop and it looks like a 5-year old drew them. But hopefully you can see what I was trying to accomplish.
  • Green - I thought this section just kind of fizzled out and died into the ring a little abruptly. I tried to add a little more interest.
I definitely like having the lower band as it feels completed, and also adds some structural integrity and rigidness to the overall design.

inked14_li-jpg.646874

Thank you for this :D it's so cool that we have the same ideas :) I didn't upload all the designs I made as I've uploaded so many already but now I'll do it anyway ;-)

Blue - I think I mentioned in one of the previous posts that I can lower the whole bit by 1 mm but when I made that design, I didn't really like it as that means that either the princess cut has be to smaller (currently 3 pointer as well) or the culet of the center stone won't be visible (don't mind the funny ring shape):

17.jpg

18.jpg

Keeping the same height with enlarged upper swirls seem to be the solution.

Green - I thought I agreed so I changed the swirls into this but I'm not happy with it. This also shows the bigger upper swirls, plus I like the open end better than adding more metal:

19.jpg

Red - I'm not really sure how to do this as the swirl in the bridge doesn't come from the prongs and the view is blocked by the princess cut. It will also lose its connection to the upper swirl (blue). Suggestions?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I think that if you know the final design send it to a good CAD designers and ask for separate band and prongs head, the goldsmith will be able to polish it from all sides.

Thank you for your advice, that's really helpful =)2

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I haven't found a CAD designer yet but did find cgtrader.com, anyone have experience with them and if so, who specifically? Or any other CAD designers that are able to make the CAD for a reasonable price?

Other question: with this design, would you go with a handmade or cast ring?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't found a CAD designer yet but did find cgtrader.com, anyone have experience with them and if so, who specifically? Or any other CAD designers that are able to make the CAD for a reasonable price?

Other question: with this design, would you go with a handmade or cast ring?

@rockysalamander

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I have a variation on your most recent posting for you to consider. What strikes me is that you have plain gallery over the diamond and that all this detail below and that creates a visual disconnect.

So, I lowered the diamond so that the culet is behind the bezel princess. That requires you lower the shoulder (yellow and shift the blue swirls a bit (black). The red swirly part flow out of the east-west tips of the bezel so it feel connected. I did not draw it here, but I would terminate each swirl inner bit very very close to the metal to avoid things sliding between the metal.

upload_2018-9-2_14-12-58-png.646943

Thanks for your suggestions. What do you think of my more recent designs? Are the swirls close enough to the metal now? I'm not sure if I want the culet to be blocked by the princess cut as I like the idea of the center diamond to be fully visible. I do like the upper swirls to connect to the prongs, so there is no empty area anymore (i.e. visual disconnect).

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Once you get this design nailed down as YOU like it, I think we need revisit the shoulder. What about adding a kite-set princess here? Terrible execution, but you get the idea...then have your pave below.

upload_2018-9-2_14-22-22-png.646945

Can I ask why you think we need to revisit the shoulder? I haven't made the design for the band yet (except for the bead set diamonds) but I think I might like 2 princess cuts (one on each side) in the same way as the bridge. I like to visualise though, so I'll get started on that after the profile view is done ;)2

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Sorry guys, I've been a bit busy and haven't had much time to respond or continue with the design. Appreciate all your input!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @LetLoveRule, I have been busy also. I will try to circle back to this later today.

For CAD's, check out David Klass (DK) in Los Angeles. That's who did my CADs and built the ring for my girl.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I ask why you think we need to revisit the shoulder? I haven't made the design for the band yet (except for the bead set diamonds) but I think I might like 2 princess cuts (one on each side) in the same way as the bridge. I like to visualise though, so I'll get started on that after the profile view is done ;)2
I think there is presently a potential for a visual disconnect. You have rounds on the sides only. A radiant in the center and princess bezel with swirls in the gallery. I was thinking that it would be worth re-examining the shoulder to see if you can pull some of the gallery elements into the shoulder to provide balance. Its hard to see right now, but it feels to me that that the gallery and shoulder are quite different.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I think there is presently a potential for a visual disconnect. You have rounds on the sides only. A radiant in the center and princess bezel with swirls in the gallery. I was thinking that it would be worth re-examining the shoulder to see if you can pull some of the gallery elements into the shoulder to provide balance. Its hard to see right now, but it feels to me that that the gallery and shoulder are quite different.

I agree and think that it would work with 2 princess cuts in the band too. I mostly see the profile and side view while at work, which is why I'm focusing on that.

I already know I like my diamond with the bead set rounds, that wasn't too hard of a decision but there is always the option to move the beads further apart and create more square looking rounds.

I like that the swirls are a bit of a "surprise" and think that the princess cuts in the band will probably will be just enough of an unexpected element to fill the gap and not create that visual disconnect.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
For CAD's, check out David Klass (DK) in Los Angeles. That's who did my CADs and built the ring for my girl.

Second working with David Klass in LA. He's very very good and is used to picky PS members

@Matthews1127 has suggested him before and I've read many good stories about him but would he be willing to just provide the CAD and not the ring itself? Also, any idea how much he would charge for a CAD? Keep in mind that the US dollar is worth more than the AU dollar atm, this didn't work in my favour when looking for diamonds.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't find a great example of what is in my mind, but this JA setting is close. Where this shows prong setting the princess on the shoulder, I would bezel set that princess. In the end, this design has to feel true to you, so always feel free to take or ignore anything we suggest.

I really am concerned about the overall height of your setting. You don't have the girdle of the center stone protected and you have a very high setting. Together, that places your center stone at much greater risk of damage and chipping. I know you want to see the culet and have all the details. In that case, I really think you need to consider the overall height and how to protect your diamond girdle. I'm really not trying to be negative...I hope you get that. I just have seen so so so many diamonds with girdle damage and people shocked to find out they could have prevented or at least minimized that risk.

upload_2018-9-5_8-36-1.png

Re: CAD designers. Why would you only get the CAD from someone? Just the CAD is part of the process, but the quality of the end product will be in the casting and ultimate finishing of the ring. If you want to have the ring made in Australia, you should work with a designer and their CAD artist there. I really don't know any ring maker that would take a CAD they had no involvement in making and producing that ring.

Alastiar Kelsey is very well regarded. He's a hand-forger, not a CAD based maker.
https://www.alistairkelsey.com/making

Creations Canberra - I think they do both CAD and hand forging.
http://creationsjewellers.com.au/creations-jewellery-design/

Halloway Diamonds - I think they work off CAD
https://www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au/

The French Door - I have not been here in over 10 years, but they were hand-forging when I last visited.
https://www.thefrenchdoor.com.au/

@arkieb1 - Any suggestions?

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Re: CAD designers. Why would you only get the CAD from someone? Just the CAD is part of the process, but the quality of the end product will be in the casting and ultimate finishing of the ring. If you want to have the ring made in Australia, you should work with a designer and their CAD artist there. I really don't know any ring maker that would take a CAD they had no involvement in making and producing that ring.

Alastiar Kelsey is very well regarded. He's a hand-forger, not a CAD based maker.
https://www.alistairkelsey.com/making

Just suggested that as I don't want to ship my diamond outside of Australia and DK is located in the US =)2

I have been in contact with Alistair before he left for his holiday. He's been very helpful in his emails and said he would be able to make the ring in October. His quote was a bit higher than I hoped, plus that was based on the old design.

I'll look into the other ones.

I may have found a jeweller that can do the whole process, from CAD to finalised ring. I will probably meet with them on Friday.

Would this ring be doable handmade?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I can't find a great example of what is in my mind, but this JA setting is close. Where this shows prong setting the princess on the shoulder, I would bezel set that princess. In the end, this design has to feel true to you, so always feel free to take or ignore anything we suggest.

upload_2018-9-5_8-36-1-png.647291

I do like the idea of having a princess cut in that spot. How about rotating the princess cut so it's the same as in the bridge?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I really am concerned about the overall height of your setting. You don't have the girdle of the center stone protected and you have a very high setting. Together, that places your center stone at much greater risk of damage and chipping. I know you want to see the culet and have all the details. In that case, I really think you need to consider the overall height and how to protect your diamond girdle. I'm really not trying to be negative...I hope you get that. I just have seen so so so many diamonds with girdle damage and people shocked to find out they could have prevented or at least minimized that risk.

I really appreciate your help and expertise. This is my first diamond ring and custom design, so have absolutely nowhere near as much experience as many of you here. I sort of know how to design but with your help it will become a ring I can actually wear without having to worry about damaging it.

Please feel free to speak your mind. That goes to all of you :mrgreen2:

As for the height, 7mm is too high? I can make it 6mm by lowering the center stone behind the princess cut. While I would love to be able to see the culet, I much prefer to have my diamond set safely as it's one of a kind and irreplaceable :kiss2: are there other options to protect the girdle, like a small bar?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like the idea of having a princess cut in that spot. How about rotating the princess cut so it's the same as in the bridge?
Exactly! That's what I meant showing the terrible bezel above then the JA ring. I think adding those features tie things together more.

On height...I'm paging others for opinions. I may be paranoid right now having just told my co-worker that her EC is not dirty, there is a serious chip missing... @foxinsox @SimoneDi @ILikeShiny @diamondseeker2006 @LLJsmom @ac117 @Matthews1127

The setting that is being designed is a 4-prong setting for a radiant cut ~5.88*5.70*4.25 (size from memory). Is a table height off of the finger of 7 mm in cathedral setting too high for daily wear and comfort? Do you think a radiant of this size and at this heigh should have some girdle protection?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly! That's what I meant showing the terrible bezel above then the JA ring. I think adding those features tie things together more.

On height...I'm paging others for opinions. I may be paranoid right now having just told my co-worker that her EC is not dirty, there is a serious chip missing... @foxinsox @SimoneDi @ILikeShiny @diamondseeker2006 @LLJsmom @ac117 @Matthews1127

The setting that is being designed is a 4-prong setting for a radiant cut ~5.88*5.70*4.25 (size from memory). Is a table height off of the finger of 7 mm in cathedral setting too high for daily wear and comfort? Do you think a radiant of this size and at this heigh should have some girdle protection?
Thanks for the tag @rockysalamander. My opinion would be that 7mm is right on the edge of being too high without being careful, especially with an unprotected girdle. I'd prefer to see it around 6mm and/or bezel set the center diamond. Four prongs leaves so much exposed and flat edges seem to attract more dings than round ones for whatever reason (at least in my experience).

OP, I haven't read through your thread but do you have any rings currently that you love the height of and find that you don't whack often, if at all? If so, take it to a jewelers and have it measured. That would be where I'd start. For reference, my perspective is coming from having an 8x8 asscher that's bezel set, roughly 6.5mm in height off my finger if I recall correctly, and it takes some good bumps. I do wear it 24/7 though (unless I'm just wearing stacking bands, which is often lately :lol-2:) so it is thrown into all kinds of daily living activities (dogs, sports, house work/Jeep work, etc.).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d have to read through this post when I get home and can look at the images better on my computer. I think the filigree area is too high. The whole ring will be too high. I like the shank height about 2mm to have room for a band and then the base if the diamond right above that. So maybe 6.25mm total height.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most good bench jewellers here will charge a lot more for that ring than someone like David Klass and not do as good a job at making it. If you are getting CADS done via him, I'd give him the exact dimensions of the stone (don't forget the depth as well) get him to make that setting with long empty prongs and get a good jeweller here to simply set the stone for you. No most of the jewellers here will not insure it for damage when it's set but the chances of damaging the stone realistically are low particularly if you go to a jeweller with a good bench.

You also need to think carefully how you can make the prongs protect the four corners of the stone.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Explain. LOL.

8610319a.gif~c200
Haha... love the GIF :appl:

I’ve recently decided to do some mods on my 2014 Jeep. Stripped out all of the silver trim and painted it to match the exterior, added light cages to all exterior lights except headlights (going to swap those for some LED ones), a few awesome decals, grille panel inserts, new fuel cover, and wheels are being swapped on Friday. Also replacing the Freedom Panels with a half-top so I can have the convenience of a convertible without a full soft-top. Should hopefully have it all done by this weekend.

I looked pretty funny today with my manicured nails, glitter nail polish, grease all over my hands and sweat pouring down my body (it was 100 degrees today) :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results