shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring design :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 1A and 3A the most. They look really nice.

What about having TWO princess cuts from the side? Instead of blocking the cutlet, you could put one on either side of the cutlet in the gaps that are there from the cathedral setting itself? Because those are already diamond (princess cut) shaped. Unfortunately I cannot mimic a picture for you especially from my phone but you would get the best of all worlds then? Cutlet from front, side AND the princess cuts?

Just a thought. :)

Playing off this thought. Two princess cuts on each side. Add little "scrolls".

Inked123_L2.jpg

I still like ring 1 alot but two princess don't work as well there. Maybe trillion diamonds? Doesn't look as good to me as the above, but maybe.

Inked123_LI.jpg

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
I've enjoyed looking at these pictures because you're a bit more down the road of the same path I want to go. :wink2:

For what it's worth, I thought I'd add my two cents. In looking at the 2 pictures @sledge posted above, I think he made some great additions. My concern with #1 is that I think you will lose the cathedral look from looking down onto the ring. I think it will have more of a pave round band with diamond on top rather than the look I prefer with the sides coming up a bit more to meet the diamond. Plus, if you add a wedding band that is flesh with the finger, I think you'll have a more interesting profile view with the cathedral. So my vote is for #2 with the 2 princess cuts on either side and the scroll work. I actually really like this ring design a lot! :love: Will your side stones be slightly graduated or all the same size? My preference is for a slightly graduated look to build up to the center stone.

Last edited:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

Inked123_L2.jpg

I still like ring 1 alot but two princess don't work as well there. Maybe trillion diamonds? Doesn't look as good to me as the above, but maybe.

Inked123_LI.jpg

Personally I think your first picture, number 2, with the scrolls... That is perfect! :mrgreen2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Lykame and @ClemsonPurdue -- I personally like the dual diamonds and scroll work the best too. It just seems to fit and flows together very well. Hopefully @LetLoveRule will like it as much and we will get to see it come to life. :cool2:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock

Inked123_L2.jpg

Inked123_LI.jpg

I like the first one too! :love: thank you for your ideas :kiss2:

When I started my search, I saved this ring
white-gold-solitaire-diamond-ring-intricate-details.jpg

Most of the photos I've deleted as I found better designs but this one I've kept :mrgreen2:

I'll work out the details and make another design with your sketch in mind tonight :D

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Inked123_L2.jpg

Inked123_LI.jpg

Those spaces are really small - I honestly just don't think a diamond plus metal to hold it will fit. Even small "surprise stones" in delicate bezels in the gallery wind up taking up a nontrivial amount of gallery space :(sad

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I've enjoyed looking at these pictures because you're a bit more down the road of the same path I want to go. :wink2:

For what it's worth, I thought I'd add my two cents. In looking at the 2 pictures @sledge posted above, I think he made some great additions. My concern with #1 is that I think you will lose the cathedral look from looking down onto the ring. I think it will have more of a pave round band with diamond on top rather than the look I prefer with the sides coming up a bit more to meet the diamond. Plus, if you add a wedding band that is flesh with the finger, I think you'll have a more interesting profile view with the cathedral. So my vote is for #2 with the 2 princess cuts on either side and the scroll work. I actually really like this ring design a lot! :love: Will your side stones be slightly graduated or all the same size? My preference is for a slightly graduated look to build up to the center stone.

That was exactly my thought with #1 :eek2: while it flows perfectly, I miss the cathedral setting look and after posting it I started thinking how to go back to the original design of that ring that I posted in post 4401805 and maybe add metal to the gaps.
175-ctw-round-modern-solitaire-engagement-ring.jpg

My wedding band won't sit flush, see post #2.

I think I'll go with all 3 pointers in the band.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Those spaces are really small - I honestly just don't think a diamond plus metal to hold it will fit. Even small "surprise stones" in delicate bezels in the gallery wind up taking up a nontrivial amount of gallery space :(sad

I think you might be right. It looks amazing magnified but it will look different in a size 4.5/5 ring, thanks for your input =)2

I really like @sledge design and I have an idea to stick to 1 princess cut, cathedral setting, scrolls and the flow from #1. I'll Photoshop tonight and upload :D

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Went through my phone and found another design that I saved before. This is approximately what I'm thinking but with a princess cut and a flowing under rail/band
Screenshot_20180828-110251_Chrome.jpg

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I started and just kept going :lol: I'm getting the hang of Photoshop again so I went a bit overboard :lol-2: (haven't used it in a few years)

I like the designs but not all of them go with the idea I have for my engagement ring. I thought I'd upload them anyway, they might give someone inspiration :mrgreen2:

(I'm not going to copy someone else's design, some of these designs are for inspiration only and when I decide on one, I'll adjust it so it really will be my design - most of these are my own design inspired by others)

5. 5.jpg
6. 6.jpg
(@sledge inspired by your design - princess cut can go lower)
7. 7.jpg
8. 8.jpg
9. 9.jpg
(under rail to flow from band)
10. 11.jpg
11. 10.jpg
12. 12.jpg

Last edited:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I started and just kept going :lol: I'm getting the hang of Photoshop again so I went a bit overboard :lol-2: (haven't used it in a few years)

I like the designs but not all of them go with the idea I have for my engagement ring. I thought I'd upload them anyway, they might give someone inspiration :mrgreen2:

(I'm not going to copy someone else's design, some of these designs are for inspiration only and when I decide on one, I'll adjust it so it really will be my design - most of these are my own design inspired by others)

5. 5.jpg
6. 6.jpg
(@sledge inspired by your design - princess cut can go lower)
7. 7.jpg
8. 8.jpg
9. 9.jpg
(under rail to flow from band)
10. 11.jpg
11. 10.jpg
12. 12.jpg

For some reason I quite like 9... But for the majority of them I think two things, one being that with the scrollwork you could bring the princess cut down so the cutlet was exposed (although you perhaps have already realised this?), and two, that this would end up being a very tall ring!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of good ideas. Just remember that many of these will push the entire head and stone higher off your finger. Everyone is different, but I have very low tolerance for high settings as I end up chipping and damaging my stone or they get in my way and I stop wearing them. . @sledge FI ring is between 5-5.5 and she really wanted a "high" setting with the stone separate from the wrapped halo.

In any case, can you see how you added a lot below the red line that would not work at that height? So, the entire head would have to be raised to have your finger fit in the opening -- this particular example would push the head up probably 1-2 mm. That seems tiny, but it can make the difference between a low/medium setting to a super-high setting that you feel hits everything. Just adding the princess cut stone will force the head higher. So, everything below that is also going to raise the entire height of the ring off your finger. I'd recommend you go to a store and try settings to figure our a comfortable height. Tacori and Verragio have many double shanks that would give you some taller settings to try on.

Pics of settings at various heights.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...too-high-how-high-is-yours.24941/#post-339591
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...too-high-how-high-is-yours.24941/#post-339757
8-9 mm; https://www.pricescope.com/communit...carat-solitaires-set-high.68628/#post-1053456

You can estimate the height of your stone in the setting by looking at the culet point and know that your stone is X mm. Then, you can estimate adding all the other design elements.

To help you visualize, it might be helpful to add a circle on the inner boundary to keep track of the space for your finger. If you had just posted the setting on the left, I would have warned you that it is already very high.

upload_2018-8-30_10-46-36.png

@Lykame and I posted at the same time about the height.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-29_10-12-42.png
    upload_2018-8-29_10-12-42.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 17
  • upload_2018-8-30_10-38-52.png
    upload_2018-8-30_10-38-52.png
    269 KB · Views: 22

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of good ideas. Just remember that many of these will push the entire head and stone higher off your finger. Everyone is different, but I have very low tolerance for high settings as I end up chipping and damaging my stone or they get in my way and I stop wearing them. . @sledge FI ring is between 5-5.5 and she really wanted a "high" setting with the stone separate from the wrapped halo.

In any case, can you see how you added a lot below the red line that would not work at that height? So, the entire head would have to be raised to have your finger fit in the opening -- this particular example would push the head up probably 1-2 mm. That seems tiny, but it can make the difference between a low/medium setting to a super-high setting that you feel hits everything. Just adding the princess cut stone will force the head higher. So, everything below that is also going to raise the entire height of the ring off your finger. I'd recommend you go to a store and try settings to figure our a comfortable height. Tacori and Verragio have many double shanks that would give you some taller settings to try on.

Pics of settings at various heights.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...too-high-how-high-is-yours.24941/#post-339591
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...too-high-how-high-is-yours.24941/#post-339757
8-9 mm; https://www.pricescope.com/communit...carat-solitaires-set-high.68628/#post-1053456

You can estimate the height of your stone in the setting by looking at the culet point and know that your stone is X mm. Then, you can estimate adding all the other design elements.

To help you visualize, it might be helpful to add a circle on the inner boundary to keep track of the space for your finger. If you had just posted the setting on the left, I would have warned you that it is already very high.

upload_2018-8-30_10-46-36.png

@Lykame and I posted at the same time about the height.

You were a lot more explanatory than me though! :lol:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL @rockysalamander, and I'm paying for that high setting. You know how many times I've been "accidentally" whacked by that high set diamond? I bet if I loupe it I will find remnants of my skin. War wounds I tell you, war wounds! More funny part is she was so apologetic the first time. Now if I get lippy she curls her fist with the ring exposed and shakes at me! The abuse I take for love. ;)2 :mrgreen2:

On a serious note, I would try to keep it as low as possible. I personally like #5 the best out of your new designs, but I think those curls needs tweaked a bit. Every time I look at it I see curled mustaches or little octopus designs (when accounting for the princess cut).

curly-mustache-isolated-on-white-picture_csp35087514.jpg

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
LOL @rockysalamander, and I'm paying for that high setting. You know how many times I've been "accidentally" whacked by that high set diamond? I bet if I loupe it I will find remnants of my skin. War wounds I tell you, war wounds! More funny part is she was so apologetic the first time. Now if I get lippy she curls her fist with the ring exposed and shakes at me! The abuse I take for love. ;)2 :mrgreen2:

Haha :lol: the two of you sound too funny

So how high is the ring? I have seen many photos, it's absolutely lovely :D

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock

I'm currently wearing a ring that's 7mm high and feels comfortable. My diamond is 4mm, so that leaves 3mm. I'll work out a few designs with those measurements in mind.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8, 9, 11 & 12 pop out to me*.
I love the cathedral look, with as little metal at N/S as possible to invite light at all angles of the stone. #11 is my favorite, as it’s more open.

All of these ideas are awesome! It does seem as though you are narrowing your choices down!

I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose! This is the fun part of the process.

I have to reiterate that keeping space around the stone is important for cleaning purposes; Radiant are brilliant cut stones, but you want easy access to keep her sparkly & lively!

Keep us posted!! :kiss2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha :lol: the two of you sound too funny

So how high is the ring? I have seen many photos, it's absolutely lovely :D

Thanks for the awesome compliments! We definitely try to keep the relationship fun. IRL, I have a pretty huge personality so there are lots of jokes, smiles and laughing.

In regards to the ring, the last CAD I received showed the height from bottom of ring (BOR) to top of diamond (TOD) @ 7mm. The band thickness is 1.80mm. So that leaves about 5.2mm from top of ring (TOR) to TOD. TOD to bottom of diamond (BOD) is 3.72mm, so this leaves about 1.48mm from TOR to BOD.

And this may be off by 0.20mm because to me it appears the top of the ring is 2.0mm thick, not 1.8mm thick as I assumed, based on the bottom dimension that I circled. So in reality, it may only 1.28mm from TOR to BOD as a result. I do not have any drawings that indicate the thickness of the halo swirl to confirm if 1.28mm, or even 1.48mm, is correct.

InkedInked44836-QUAD_LI.jpg

To further complicate matters, there was a conversation that occurred between myself and Amy about the height of the stone and while I liked it being tucked in, we wanted to make sure the thin air line was maintained and also the diamond was high enough to emulate the condition of the inspiration piece that my girl liked. She mentioned she would eye ball and make a final judgment call, so again, these dimensions may be close but not 100% accurate due to this last minute adjustment.

When looking at the actual photos vs the CAD above, it appears to me the diamond is sticking close to even, or maybe just a "smidge" higher as I can clearly see the cutlet. In the CAD, the cutlet appears to be slightly tucked into the halo swirl -- or perhaps the prong is just obstructing my point of view.

Overall, I think the difference is very, very minimal so I would say I think the diamond is about 5.2-5.5mm above the TOR.

InkedDKJPV_0629_WR-6_LI.jpg

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the awesome compliments! We definitely try to keep the relationship fun. IRL, I have a pretty huge personality so there are lots of jokes, smiles and laughing.

I feel like that's your personality on here as well and I enjoy reading your posts. I think we are a bit similar :oops2::mrgreen2:

I've read some of your ring journeys and found it interesting to see that you're a perfectionist like me. I have felt like being "too much" during this process several times but honestly, I used to design, style, graphic design, copywrite, make earrings, etc and have missed being creative in other ways lately as my current job doesn't allow for me to be creative like in previous jobs. This project is not just about the end result but the journey too. People don't seem to understand that I actually enjoy the process. As I've mentioned before, I think I might be a PS-er :D

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
8, 9, 11 & 12 pop out to me*.
I love the cathedral look, with as little metal at N/S as possible to invite light at all angles of the stone. #11 is my favorite, as it’s more open.

All of these ideas are awesome! It does seem as though you are narrowing your choices down!

I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose! This is the fun part of the process.

I have to reiterate that keeping space around the stone is important for cleaning purposes; Radiant are brilliant cut stones, but you want easy access to keep her sparkly & lively!

Keep us posted!! :kiss2:

Welcome back :D I knew we would be on the same wavelength! :kiss2:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Design to scale =)2
13a.jpg

Seriously impressed with your ability to do your own design, that is amazing, seriously jealous!

How tall will this be?

My current question is, what happens at the end of the swirly bit as you go down the shank? Is that going to be metal? Empty space? Engraved?

I don't have any of the skill people like @rockysalamander have when looking at things like this, so I'll leave the rest to experts! :mrgreen2:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Seriously impressed with your ability to do your own design, that is amazing, seriously jealous!

How tall will this be?

My current question is, what happens at the end of the swirly bit as you go down the shank? Is that going to be metal? Empty space? Engraved?

I don't have any of the skill people like @rockysalamander have when looking at things like this, so I'll leave the rest to experts! :mrgreen2:

Thank you :mrgreen2: :mrgreen2:

7 mm at the top and 16 mm ring size (I think I'm 15.7, J 1/2 in Australia). I could go lower than 7 mm as there is room between the swirls and basket, depending on the size of the princess cut, but I thought it might be good to keep the center stone accessible this way.

I think it should be metal as it would be too thin otherwise (and a pain to keep clean?). It looks a bit thick with the metal like this, but I've made 2 options:

14.jpg 15.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you :mrgreen2: :mrgreen2:

7 mm at the top and 16 mm ring size (I think I'm 15.7, J 1/2 in Australia). I could go lower than 7 mm as there is room between the swirls and basket, depending on the size of the princess cut, but I thought it might be good to keep the center stone accessible this way.

I think it should be metal as it would be too thin otherwise (and a pain to keep clean?). It looks a bit thick with the metal like this, but I've made 2 options:

14.jpg 15.jpg

Definitely option 1. It looks more complete & stabilzes the ring. Not to mention, it will be more comfortable on your finger.
I love that design, and you could do claw prongs with your diamond; just make sure they aren’t too thin so they hold your radiant snugly in place. ;)2

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Definitely option 1. It looks more complete & stabilzes the ring. Not to mention, it will be more comfortable on your finger.
I love that design, and you could do claw prongs with your diamond; just make sure they aren’t too thin so they hold your radiant snugly in place. ;)2

I agree :D when I finished it, I knew this was it :kiss2:

I still have to look at the details to finalise. Do you have a photo of the claw prongs you're thinking of?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results