shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me 1.4- 2.0 carat solitaires set HIGH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I just got back from meeting witht the jeweler once again. He wanted to show me 3 different heads for my 1.76 round diamond. The solstice was nice, but he thought the bulkiness of the gold would cover alot of the stone, so I chose a basic 4 prong head that he suggested in the tall, not medium or low, thinking the taller head will show more of the diamond from the side, whereas the medium height head would have the diamond sit lower, not showing the cutlet of the diamond)He tells me it would probably measure 8-9mm off my finger once set, and I HOPE TO GOD, I like it when it comes back next week, since this will be the 4th attempt at setting the diamond. Does anyone have rings similar in size that are set in four or even six prongs to give me an idea of how mine might look when complete? Thanks

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, to be very honest, I''d definitely recommend the medium! I think the tall setting willl be way too high and you''ll knock the stone on everything.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/7/2007 6:21:47 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Yikes, to be very honest, I''d definitely recommend the medium! I think the tall setting willl be way too high and you''ll knock the stone on everything.
i second that yikes!! not long ago i was a fan of high settings, but i''ve since ''come down'' (pun intended) from that. i just measured 8-9 mm off my finger, and unless you are a lady of leisure (and if you are, lucky gal!) then i think that may be too high for practical reasons. i think medium height would be a nice compromise between practical (being able to DO things without always worrying about damaging your stone or setting) and aesthetics - it should still make your stone pop and you can always ask about being able to see the culet. i love being able to see the culet myself so i understand it''s importance, and all the hight settins i''ve seen show it off with room to spare.

best of luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
beau, did he actually show you a setting that sat that high? It doesn''t sound like he did....I would make SURE you know what that looks like, and feels like on your finger, before you get it. You''ve just been through so much, I''d hate for you to be unhappy with this setting as well.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
8.5-9mm in a cathedral setting doesn't seem that high, does it? It would if it was in a plain band style, kind of like a solstice setting, with the head coming straight up from the mount.I have included a pic of the ring when it sat 8mm off the finger, does it look high in that pic? I figure what's 1 more mm? Oh, about the life of leisure , lately I do lead that life! I just retired from my job (I'm 38), and I spend alot of time watching my kids play hockey (every night and weekends). I'm awaiting surgery, so I don't do any strenuous activity, and my wonderful husband runs a business, then comes home to pick up where I left off around the house, until I am feeling better at least!(I'm a lucky gal I guess) .I wouldn't wear it to do housework, maybe put it on during the day when I am out shopping, or having lunch with friends. My jeweler told me if I want to see most of the diamond, near the culet, and have a bit of space around the diamond/prongs, then the 2 carat head , tall setting was the only way to go. I thought with the peg head, and a larger stone, it would have to be set high. I know the basket settings allow for lower setting correct? No Ellen, he didn't show me a thing, since the store supplies diamonds, mounts and sets them, but no complete rings in the store of that size.(1 carat was the biggest) He showed me the different heads today, and when I placed the head beside the head already in my ring, it seemed about the same height. I had a twin prong head in there, which will be replaced with a simple 4 prong. What if I tell him to go with the medium head and it comes back being 7mm, or lower, then I would think that was too low. It's so hard to tell unless I see it for sure, unfortunately I don't have that option.

third attempt.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to add this pic of the profile of the diamond band I want to wear with the e-ring. It seems to stand up off the finger high enough, and wonder if I do need some height on the e-ring to wear them together? Thanks

Cnv0055.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the picture of that e-ring does not look too high to me, so maybe it will be fine. I was thinking more about a tiffany style setting, and those with the tall head have the diamond waaay too high...as in seeing the culet and airspace below! The cathedral may work better. And you are right, it may need to be high to allow the diamond band to sit next to it.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
This pic is not the greatest. If you want me to try for a better shot, let me know. The setting is high enough to show the side of the diamond, but not the culet. It''s a six-pronger.

007 side.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Great pic Risingsun, thanks, do youhappen to know how high the ring sits off your finger? 5mm,7mm, 8mm? Very helpful, thanks.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Beau~I don't have the measurements, but I can try to get them. Do you want the height of the head? Or from finger to top of head?

ETA: the head seems to be 8.5-9mm, by my metric ruler. Add another couple of mm from finger to top of head. I can't get that silly ruler close enough to get an exact number. I don't bang my ring in my daily activities and I do take it off for gardening, cleaning (ha!) and other such things.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I've attached another view. I like the high-flying heads. As I said, this doesn't show culet or airspace--only the side of the stone. I don't know why these pics are so blurry...I usually do better than this
23.gif

001 side2.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Trying one more time for a clear pic...Please note small, furry chestnut and white dog in background
2.gif

002 side 3.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for your efforst Risingsun, the pics give me an idea of how high mine will likely sit when completed. Mine is a cathedral mount, so the sides gradually move up toward the diamond, unlike yours, which is a flater style band mount. So...mine might not seem high (if it is 9mm when complete), with the sides tapering up toward to stone. I just hope it all turns out okay this time (attempt #4 to reset), and I can proudly wear the ring as you do! Thanks again.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Beau~I truly hope that your ring is perfect this time and you can keep it on your finger, where it belongs!! I''ll be looking for updates and pics
2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks risingsun, I just spoke with the jeweler, the ring was sent out today, and will be back inmy possession on Friday! Maybe I will even have the 5 stone band Friday, if I get REAL lucky! I will post pics soon!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t wait to see pics Beau. I''ve been following your posts. I don''t have a decent pic of my ring yet, but it is similar cathedral set. The sides of the cathedral don''t come up as high as the one you pictured, mine sit almost exactly at the culet. My stone is 1.77 and I have to say, I seriously whacked it yesterday for the first time. No damage, but man, did it ever HURT!
23.gif
I was suitably shocked and annoyed at myself. For the permanent setting, I think I''m going to do with something a little lower, but the Memoire-type style. It will still be fairly high because of the size of the stone--I don''t think you can get away with that if you are going for a pronged setting. I guess we just learn to be more careful?
2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Are you OK Lyra, is the ring okay? Did you lose your finger? Ouch!! LOL
I would love to see any pics you may have of your ring. I guess it is the same size pretty much, and I am always interested in see how others have set a similar size stone! I am soooooo anxious for Friday to get here, and at the same time nervous to open the box, in case it doesn''t look how I had hoped! I guess it can''t get any worse than attempt # 2 and #3, really! I am hoping it looks fabulous so I can wear it finally, and then takes pics galore (I will share the pics of course)! It would have been great to have the ring on my finger today, my 14th wedding anniversary! Ah well...what''s a few more days..right?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Beau, I can't take a pic to save my life, and hubby hasn't had much luck either, plus he's away this week. As a really stupid aside, I haven't been able to see this whole PS forum since last Thursday. I thought the whole thing was down, and just contacted the Admin today. I was in serious withdrawal mode!!! Anyway, my problem I guess, it's fixed now. I hope to have a few decent pics by the end of the week. I need to try some outside shots I think, because inside the house the lighting is never right. Or I'm just a spaz!
41.gif

ETA: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BEAU!!!
36.gif
Good luck on your ring too.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I think you''ll be fine with that height, mine is ~7.5-8mm (6 prong) high and my stone is a 1.1. I think you''ll like it - that height will leave a space at the bottom so you can see the whole diamond and will let light come from all angles.

At first I didn''t think I wanted a high setting either, but now I absolutely love it and wouldn''t change it even if given a free opportunity!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input waterlily...I would love to see pics of your ring as well. It sounds lovely!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
my ring

unfortunately this is the only pic i have at the moment, we broke our camera before i took any good shots

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Hey waterlily...I have a great handcreme I can sell ya...your hands are looking a bit dry! Oh wait...that''s NOT your finger..LOL..very creative pic, and a gorgeous solitaire for sure! Thanks for sharing!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2007 9:26:26 PM
Author: beau13
Hey waterlily...I have a great handcreme I can sell ya...your hands are looking a bit dry! Oh wait...that''s NOT your finger..LOL..very creative pic, and a gorgeous solitaire for sure! Thanks for sharing!
yeah...summer sun has ruined my skin!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results