shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Engagement ring and wedding band are done. Back story+ Pics!

Essovius

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

In February I plan to propose to my wonderful girlfriend. Months ago, I asked her to look around at settings online, and send me a few ideas. Every setting she liked was white gold, with a split and/or twist style to it. She had no requirements on the diamond, other than a preference of being very clean, and near colorless. The ones she sent me were all half-full carrot. So, with all that, I felt comfortable going forward in my search. She appreciates quality, but would say yes if I showed up with a Ring pop. All the more reason for me to go above and beyond for her. This will be her first quality piece of jewelry.

Truth be told, in my circle of family and friends, people don't typically go for designer jewelry, or hand picked diamonds. All the guys I know show up at Kay's, or Harry Ritchie's and get whatever the salesman pitches them. Not me, I have a habit of relentlessly researching things, to get the best for my money. I wanted to get her something unique, high quality, with a diamond that would stand out compared to others. We have one jeweler in town that is highly regarded by locals, carries a number of designers. I fell in love with an A. Jaffe setting they had. I was confident I had found the one. They wanted to sell me a .72 carrot H color VS2 diamond with it, but their markup was more than I wanted to pay, and I wanted to find at least a .75, G or better diamond. So, I then researched diamonds, everything I could read on clarity, color, cut, I read. I can't thank the posters here at Pricescope enough. So many of my Google searches took me to a thread on this forum with the information I was seeking. Your expertise has been invaluable to me. With you help, I think I've got something that will make her do back flips. After viewing at least 100 GIA certs, I found the diamond I wanted. It is a .75, G color, VVS1 clarity, excellent cut, no florescence diamond. I know the VVS1 is way overkill on clarity, but it was simply a personal choice to go that high. She had also expressed being color sensitive. I ordered it from James Allen, it came in timely fashion, incredibly well packaged. So I gave the shop the exact measurements of the diamond so that A. Jaffe could build the setting for it. I also had them make a matching wedding band at the same time, since they'd have the engagement ring to match it to. They told me 5 weeks, and sure enough it was done in about 4 1/2. I had the shop set the diamond, and the rest as they say, is history.

I can't be more excited to give it to her. She's going to love it. I'm so proud of the finished product and all the time I took to research. Thanks again for all the information here on Pricescope. I've been lurking for months reading all your posts. Here's just some cell phone photos of my mother and I admiring it.

_38455.jpg

_38456.jpg

_38457.jpg

_38458.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Engagement ring and wedding band are done. Back story+ P

What a beautiful ring!! Congratulations, you have every right to be very proud of the effort you put into this. She will be thrilled!
Be sure to come back with hand shots. Good job :love:

Essovius

Rough_Rock

Bonfire|1476752668|4088086 said:
What a beautiful ring!! Congratulations, you have every right to be very proud of the effort you put into this. She will be thrilled!
Be sure to come back with hand shots. Good job :love:
Thank you, Bonfire!

Elepig

Rough_Rock

Oh, great job! It's beautiful!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well done you. Lucky gal getting such a thoughtful husband to be. She will be over the moon happy with your efforts.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring! :appl: :appl: :appl: I enjoyed reading about your search for the right stone & setting. Well done! :clap:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Beautiful - congratulations! :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a gorgeous set!!! Congrats!

Essovius

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for your encouraging words!

My girlfriend is overseas for a year. February is when I get to go visit, and propose. The country she's in holds a special place in her heart, so I'm going to make it even more special and get on a knee there.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She will be thrilled - come back with engagement photos for us!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolutely gorgeous!
Congratulations on your upcoming engagement.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous set! Hand shots when she says yes!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Overseas for a year, wow! It's a beautiful ring and I love the care you put into giving her what you know she will love. Best of luck getting through this year!

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock

Looks great! I'm sure your fiancee will love it. :angel:

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock

Lovely. Congrats.

Essovius

Rough_Rock

Welp I fly out to Cambodia on Friday!

Most nerve wracking part is going through customs and airport security with this ring. I think I'm just going to keep it on my person. And not check it or put it on my carry on.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How exciting! Yes, most definitely keep it on your person and out of view! ;-) Please come back with pictures after you propose! :wavey:

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

Fantastic! Congrats!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's beautiful! I think she is going to be speechless! Congratulations on a job well done! :appl:

Essovius

Rough_Rock

She said yes! :love:

We hopped on a gondola boat and headed out in the waters of Angkor Wat temple. We stopped and hiked up to a small secluded temple that you can only access by boat. We had the place to ourselves for a few hours before watching the sunset. A few minutes before the sun set, I got on a knee and asked the big question. It was perfect, in my eyes and hers. She suspected I'd be proposing while I was in Cambodia, but not on this evening we had planned for the sunset. So I took her by surprise, which is hard to do! Not a whole lot gets past her! Here's a few photos I thought I'd share. The ring looks INCREDIBLE on her hand, and in every light. "It's perfect", she says.

image1__4_0.jpg

_39123.jpg

image1__3_.jpg

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium

This is awesome! Love the ring but love your happy faces more! Congrats!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous ring, so thoughtful of you to research and find something she would love! And that proposal, just awesome! Amazing photos! :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What an amazing proposal!! Congratulations and the ring looks stunning on her!! :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations to you and your fiancé. You did such a wonderful job and she looks ecstatic.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are both so adorable!! Congratulations! The ring is beautiful on her finger!! :love:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful ring, beautiful couple, beautiful country. Congratulations, and I'm so glad you came back and posted.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's absolutely beautiful, congratulations!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The ring looks perfect on her! Congrats to you both!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful stone congrats on your engagement!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results