shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring “downgrade” in size “upgrade” in specs

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
So my e-ring for 18 years is a MRB 2.64 carat H color SI1. GIA cert.
It has a lot of personality but honestly the color has always bugged me.
I considered resetting it but nothing really made me jump up and down.
I feel sentimental about the stone until I found something today that rocked my world.
It’s a Tiffany Lucida 2.34 carat E color VS2.
The icy whiteness just captivated me along with the cut and honestly it didn’t feel all that much smaller.
Would my fellow PS-ers think I’m gaga nutty to trade...um, “down” in size for a Tiff?
PS-I’ve read almost every thread on everyone’s thoughts on not spending the premium for Tiffany but my deep dark inner secret is that I’ve always wanted one!
There, I finally said it out loud!
The fact that this is pre-loved Tiff levels the brand-name playing field issue a little.
So my question is really more ....am I batshit crazy? 636855FE-0ABA-4517-A621-985719EF7A60.jpeg 63A4D716-559F-4AA5-B895-A589C77850C5.jpeg

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Is the top photo the Tiffany? I don’t think it’s crazy at all to sacrifice a little size for other specs that might matter more to you! People do it all the time! You’ll definitely see a nice difference between an E and an H!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Is the top photo the Tiffany? I don’t think it’s crazy at all to sacrifice a little size for other specs that might matter more to you! People do it all the time! You’ll definitely see a nice difference between an E and an H!

Yup, the top is the Tiff.
Thank you.
Big decision so it will need a lot of thought!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Tiffany is a beautiful ring! I wouldn't mind having that ring, especially pre-loved. I'd probably do it if I could keep the original setting (which I love!), and get a lab diamond (higher color) to go in that setting. Then, you have the best of both worlds!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
The Tiffany is a beautiful ring! I wouldn't mind having that ring, especially pre-loved. I'd probably do it if I could keep the original setting (which I love!), and get a lab diamond (higher color) to go in that setting. Then, you have the best of both worlds!

I hadn’t thought of that!
Good idea.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I say the heart wants what the heart wants. If you love the colour, and the value for a pre-loved piece - is good, go for it

Yes. It’s all been vetted out as authentic. Laser inscription. Tiffany certificate. Tiffany appraisal. Receipt.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you be paying a significant amount for this trade? Does cost factor in?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Will you be paying a significant amount for this trade? Does cost factor in?

He’s getting me final numbers but no, from what we have discussed so far it is totally doable for me.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He’s getting me final numbers but no, from what we have discussed so far it is totally doable for me.

Then it sounds like an opportunity! I would totally do it! Sounds like you have a chance to finally get your dream ring!! Awesome! I fantasize about an emerald cut bc I’ve been drawn to elongated and elegant looks, step cuts BUT I fear I will miss the performance of my round so I know that I’m not ready to do anything that. All this to say that it sounds like you have considered it all???

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
You only live once. Buy it!! We can’t take our money with us

Then it sounds like an opportunity! I would totally do it! Sounds like you have a chance to finally get your dream ring!! Awesome! I fantasize about an emerald cut bc I’ve been drawn to elongated and elegant looks, step cuts BUT I fear I will miss the performance of my round so I know that I’m not ready to do anything that. All this to say that it sounds like you have considered it all???

Wow thanks for the “ atta girl”!
I’m totally smitten but need to sleep on it to make sure I’m ok with the sentimentality of the trade.....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Lucida is beautiful! I dont have an issue with upgrading stats and downsizing size. I assume you had them both there to compare? Looking forward to seeing what you decide!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I feel sentimental about the stone until I found something today that rocked my world.
The icy whiteness just captivated me along with the cut and honestly it didn’t feel all that much smaller.
Would my fellow PS-ers think I’m gaga nutty to trade...um, “down” in size for a Tiff?
PS-I’ve read almost every thread on everyone’s thoughts on not spending the premium for Tiffany but my deep dark inner secret is that I’ve always wanted one!
The fact that this is pre-loved Tiff levels the brand-name playing field issue a little.
So my question is really more ....am I batshit crazy? 636855FE-0ABA-4517-A621-985719EF7A60.jpeg 63A4D716-559F-4AA5-B895-A589C77850C5.jpeg

If it made your heart sing, do it!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

Great idea! @Efleon, that way you have the best of both worlds. I did something similar for my 20th anniversary, and ended up with 2 beautiful sets.

The Lucida, though squarish, is not really step cut, I believe it is brilliant cut in the pavilion, my best friend was shopping for one years ago, and it is really beautiful worn on its own. I do think you'll miss your classic round though, so @diamondseeker's idea to replace your current mrb with a Lab Grown in similar size to replace your round is the best idea ever.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@diamondseeker2006 makes a good point. These are two different stones/rings/looks. It is entirely possible to miss your MRB.

At any rate, in choosing such a beautiful, preloved, vetted , Lucida Tiffany ring you are not "losing" anything. It is easy to love such a stunning ring, while your color concerns assuaged. You want a change. Nothing here is diminished.

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you must have it then go for it! :clap:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others have said, follow your heart. I personally traded down in size for better cut, color, and clarity. I absolutely have no regrets.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my question is really more ....am I batshit

not crazy! It’s a different look, which one gives you more warm fuzzies? They both have nice presence on your hand

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea! @Efleon, that way you have the best of both worlds. I did something similar for my 20th anniversary, and ended up with 2 beautiful sets.

The Lucida, though squarish, is not really step cut, I believe it is brilliant cut in the pavilion, my best friend was shopping for one years ago, and it is really beautiful worn on its own. I do think you'll miss your classic round though, so @diamondseeker's idea to replace your current mrb with a Lab Grown in similar size to replace your round is the best idea ever.

Agreed. Im giving serious thought to whether I will miss the MRB....
HI:

@diamondseeker2006 makes a good point. These are two different stones/rings/looks. It is entirely possible to miss your MRB.

At any rate, in choosing such a beautiful, preloved, vetted , Lucida Tiffany ring you are not "losing" anything. It is easy to love such a stunning ring, while your color concerns assuaged. You want a change. Nothing here is diminished.

cheers--Sharon

I do think I have reconciled myself to admitting I love a square/step/cushion shape and am color sensitive even after all this time!
As others have said, follow your heart. I personally traded down in size for better cut, color, and clarity. I absolutely have no regrets.

Thank you DiamondGirl ❤️
not crazy! It’s a different look, which one gives you more warm fuzzies? They both have nice presence on your hand

Fuzzies=Tiffany
Sentiment...still thinking....

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I don’t think it’s crazy at all. I’m returning a much smaller H diamond, just too warm for me. So I think it makes sense to go for an E. Both are beautiful though!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think it’s crazy at all. I’m returning a much smaller H diamond, just too warm for me. So I think it makes sense to go for an E. Both are beautiful though!

❤️❤️❤️

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

Great idea, or a colored stone that fits the original setting!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

Nope , you’re not crazy. If it’s what you really want then go for it. If I had the funds, I will just keep both :).

Lovecarats

Rough_Rock
Nope, not crazy at all. You like what you like.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
The Lucida is beautiful so it's a no-brainer for me! I don't think you'll notice the size difference when you really love the stone.

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
The heart wants what the heart wants!
Also, the whiter colour may make it appear slightly larger than a lower colour of the same size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results