shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald shopping pictures.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
I am shopping for a small emerald to recreate a piece of my grandmothers jewelry. Hers was a emerald necklace with diamonds around it but the emerald cracked. (I have sent the original emerald to a lapidary in Boston to see if they can possibly cut two side stones). I am choosing a new emerald and then will have the necklace made into a ring using the gold and small diamonds.

I am starting with my local jeweler because I know the GG and the bench jeweler personally. They got in 3 stones for me to look at. None are GIA certified but which ever one I pick will be sent to GIA before it is set. Do you think that’s an OK plan?

I’ve seen 3 so far. The first one was a marquis (same size and shape as the broken one) that I didn’t even take a picture of because it had tons of visible black specs.

The second and thirds ones were an emerald cut But almost a true square. They were both right at my budget of $6,000. One was a deep green and one was a bright green - both beautiful and hardly any visible inclusions at all. I think anyone would be lucky to have either but I asked them to bring in a few more for me that was less square and more rectangle. I want a more elongated stone, even if they can’t find a marquis like the original emerald.

enjoy the eye candy and please share any feedback on the emerald shopping process with this newbie!!
1C846FED-1DC7-49DA-8FE2-0934FE637566.png EE2EA67C-CA7F-4B18-BC7C-DDC4F3FE0C2F.png E2AA49F2-D89F-43C4-87DC-024291B40A71.png 0746DCBA-CEAE-4AFB-8835-3DB61FCA2FF4.png 0A4AD008-EA8A-4955-8F64-81EB9032A4CF.png 2B027696-2F15-4B68-993D-2D205D20873A.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert, however, personally, I prefer the brighter coloured one, as it is more pleasing to my untrained eyes.

The darker one has an obvious window, and that would bug me. In addition, the colour is kind of dull, and overall less sparkly compared with the other stone.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
I am not an expert, however, personally, I prefer the brighter coloured one, as it is more pleasing to my untrained eyes.

The darker one has an obvious window, and that would bug me. In addition, the colour is kind of dull, and overall less sparkly compared with the other stone.

Personal preferences and all that.

I agree! The lighter one really glowed. I posted these pictures but I think neither will be the winner - they are going to get a few more in for me because I want something more elongated like my grandmas stone was! Green is so hard to photograph but I thought it was really very stunning in real life!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Q: does it have to be natural, as there are some gorgeous lab Emeralds about?

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Thé brighter one is super pretty. Do you happen to know where they were mined from and what treatment they have had? Do they have lab reports?

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Q: does it have to be natural, as there are some gorgeous lab Emeralds about?

For me, I do want natural since Im replacing my grandmas and I think my budget can handle a small (7mm) emerald

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Thé brighter one is super pretty. Do you happen to know where they were mined from and what treatment they have had? Do they have lab reports?

I don't - I didn't pry because I don't think any of these are "the one" but I will ask a lot more questions when they bring in the next batch.

I assume they are some oil because I think its almost impossible to fine no oil, right? I do not know the origin. DO you have a recommendation of more questions to ask? Or do you think I should only consider stones that already have their lab reports?

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Here is my original post about my grandmas jewelry piece I am working with

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
If you’re looking to spend that much on an emerald, a reputable lab report is highly recommended! Most emeralds have some amount of oiling, but it’s good to verify that it’s minor oil, moderate, significant, or some other from of clarity treatment.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
If you’re looking to spend that much on an emerald, a reputable lab report is highly recommended! Most emeralds have some amount of oiling, but it’s good to verify that it’s minor oil, moderate, significant, or some other from of clarity treatment.

Thanks - as you might have seen they offered to send the stone I pick to the GIA, but after I select it. I totally understand what you are saying, I think I will ask them to bring in some stones that already have a lab report. I know of GIA and AIGS. What other lab reports would be reputable for an emerald?

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
My jeweler has ordered in some new emeralds for me that already have GIA or AGL certificates.
The lapidary is cutting my grandmas broken emerald into two trillions. I also found out I have another gold and diamond band of my grandmas that I can use to build my new ring! So now I have 18 small round diamonds to work with. FB6F7DF7-C550-4CE7-8E27-F43D83F60FE4.png 9E952937-59CE-44DD-A39A-5C15B1F13438.jpeg 4A5FB210-ABA0-422C-966F-8DFB6F9650BE.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a 1.44t Emerald that I looked at at my jeweler. Its at the top of my budget at $6250. The color and clarity are stunning. IMG_9341.jpg IMG_9343 (1).jpg t IMG_9355 (1).jpg

This one gets my vote, expensive yes but a stunner.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the 1.44ct as I have already commented in the other thread.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Came back 20210215_112355.jpg , Ethiopia, F2 enhancement. Going to sit on this and make a decision in a couple days. All input welcome.

Basically decision is either take this stone or shop for an F1 or better online. Reminder budget is $6,000 ish.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
That 1.44 is a showstopper! I'm commenting so I can follow this thread, as I don't know enough about emeralds to intellegently help you with your decision. This one made me go "WOW!" though, for sure. Good luck with your decision.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
That 1.44 is a showstopper! I'm commenting so I can follow this thread, as I don't know enough about emeralds to intellegently help you with your decision. This one made me go "WOW!" though, for sure. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you!

clementinemm

Rough_Rock
The 1.44ct one looks so pretty!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Loooove a vibrant Ethiopian emerald :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Came back 20210215_112355.jpg , Ethiopia, F2 enhancement. Going to sit on this and make a decision in a couple days. All input welcome.

Basically decision is either take this stone or shop for an F1 or better online. Reminder budget is $6,000 ish.

Just noting it’s Ethiopian material with an F2 level of clarity enhancement. The bulk of emeralds will fall into the F2 clarity enhancement on the GIA report.

I would also want to know how stable the filler is, otherwise you may see cracks again.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Just noting it’s Ethiopian material with an F2 level of clarity enhancement. The bulk of emeralds will fall into the F2 clarity enhancement on the GIA report.

I would also want to know how stable the filler is, otherwise you may see cracks again.

That is a very helpful perspective. Thank you.
I decided to move on and found some stones that are similar in color, size, translucency and price, but GIA "no evidence of treatment"

I send the links to my local jeweler to show them what I want and that it is possible in my price range.

hopefully they will be able to source some for me.

if not, I have learned so much already and I am confident that I can find one myself online!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color of that 1.44.

But before buying that I would want to become an expert on how to proper clean, maintain, and live with an emerald that was treated in whatever way that one was.
Before buying I'd also want to be as certain as possible about how to baby the treatment so the cracks never become visible.
Also before buying I'd want to learn how much it costs to retreat it if needed, and whether it would have to be removed and the reset for the treatment and the cost thereof.

I suspect that after all this homework I'd likely change my search to an untreated emerald, probably bumping up my budget, or reducing the expected carat weight.

But emerald shoppers vary.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
I love the color of that 1.44.

But before buying that I would want to become an expert on how to proper clean, maintain, and live with an emerald that was treated in whatever way that one was.
Before buying I'd also want to be as certain as possible about how to baby the treatment so the cracks never become visible.
Also before buying I'd want to learn how much it costs to retreat it if needed, and whether it would have to be removed and the reset for the treatment and the cost thereof.

I suspect that after all this homework I'd likely change my search to an untreated emerald, probably bumping up my budget, or reducing the expected carat weight.

But emerald shoppers vary.

Thanks! See my latest post, above - that is indeed what I decided to do!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL report will tell you what kind of enhancement used and if it’s stable. Therefore, if you were to go with a treated emerald, I would want an AGL report, not GIA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results