shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Re-oiling Advice Please

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is beautiful! Congratulations. I also want to add the necklace length is perfect. I am really picky about where necklaces land as chains are generic lengths, but people are not one size fits all. Her chain lands at the perfect spot for that pendant, right below the hollow of her neck. It really highlights her neckline. Any longer or shorter, to me, it would be the same.

Please tell her that. The pendant is beautiful, and equally as important, it looks beautiful on her.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have talked on this forum about how the dark navy blue of Princess Diana’s, now Duchess Catherine’s, engagement ring works as a neutral and goes with everything. I hope your wife finds the deep emerald green of her pendant to be the same, and gets to wear it often.

I love the other picture too! The pendant does fall at exactly the right spot. We’d love to see more pictures always!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks so rich! Huge, green and substantial! A totally different from the original stone! Congratulations!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The pendant turned out wonderful! The additional diamonds match so perfectly I cannot tell where you added them. I hope your wife will wear them often and with great pleasure.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is beautiful! Congratulations. I also want to add the necklace length is perfect. I am really picky about where necklaces land as chains are generic lengths, but people are not one size fits all. Her chain lands at the perfect spot for that pendant, right below the hollow of her neck. It really highlights her neckline. Any longer or shorter, to me, it would be the same.
Thanks @Miki Moto you and my wife are both in the picky chain club. :razz: This chain is 16" and does work very well, however we have a yellow sapphire pendant that came with a 15 1/2" chain, and she regards this one to be the "perfect" length for her. =)2

Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this, shamelessly opulent and dk did a great job on it! It looks amazing on your wife, it's a big piece and not everyone can pull that off but she rocks it.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU for letting us share in this! It's a stunning pendant -- and the story behind it, the thought, attention, and care that everyone involved gave to its rejuvenation make it even more special.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty. This emerald pendant deserves it's own thread. So happy with the outcome! :appl:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a find! Stunning! I absolutely adore emeralds. Congrats on this amazing finished piece! :love:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @meely @MollyMalone @LisaRN and @Sunstorm for your very kind comments.

I recently learned a little more about AGL emerald certs and re-oiling. When AGL refers to "modern" clarity enhancement they have detected a polymeric material in the stone. If they detect any dye they will say so in a separate comment.

Apparently it's quite common that when emerald dealers acquire a stone they suspect had a modern treatment, and they want a "traditional" only cert, they will clean the emerald and send it into AGL before re-oiling. This way if AGL detects any residual modern material the dealer can have the stone cleaned a second time and retested.

I believe emerald cleaning involves soaking the stone in muriatic acid, so this is not something you want to try at home. :eek2: I don't know how they get the acid into the stone to clean out the junk, and then how they get the acid out of there before re-oiling. I suspect it's a fairly complicated process involving multiple applications of vacuum. No doubt many dealers regard this as a proprietary process and that's why there is almost no info online.

If you are going to get your emerald re-oiled, I think it's very important to have it done by someone who really knows what they are doing.

voce

Ideal_Rock
We drove into LA on Friday and picked up the finished pendant from David Klass. We think it came out rather well. :D

9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 2.jpg

9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 1.jpg View attachment 635454 9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 3.jpg 9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 4.jpg 9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 5.jpg

Many thanks to Amy and David at DKJ for all their help and advice!
:love:
Wow, that is the most beautiful pendant setting I've seen, and suits the emerald very well! Your wife has exquisite taste, and I'm so happy you two rescued this beauty from the consignment store to share with us on PS! Congrats on this splendid work of art!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I found this thread after seeing your spectacular emerald pendant posted in the Shapes thread. I love both the stone and setting, and the adventure you went on to improve it, generously sharing the experience and knowledge acquired with the forum. I personally love the hunting/adventuring/improving aspects of collecting, so this story is really wonderful for me. Thank you and it's gorgeous!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I found this thread after seeing your spectacular emerald pendant posted in the Shapes thread. I love both the stone and setting, and the adventure you went on to improve it, generously sharing the experience and knowledge acquired with the forum. I personally love the hunting/adventuring/improving aspects of collecting, so this story is really wonderful for me. Thank you and it's gorgeous!

Thank you! Yes, we enjoy the hunt very much. When we go on a trip we always make a point of visiting the estate jewelry stores in the area. You never know when you are going to come across a hidden treasure! We usually avoid regular jewelry stores, not much hidden treasure in those places. =)2

Colored stones are just so interesting, there's so much to research and learn. Always good to give back to the forum, when we learn so much from it.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do have one more interesting thing about re-oiling to add to this thread. We acquired another emerald at auction that came with an AGL cert.

The report noted some of the surface reaching fissures were not full of oil. Great that the level of treatment is based on the maximum potential quantity of oil, rather than the actual. Prevents anyone from gaming the system.

4.50ct Emerald AGL Cert.jpg

AntiqueSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Stumbled across this thread and just wow. It’s STUNNING, and props to you for restoring/enhancing its beauty. May your wife wear in good health and happiness! We wouldn’t be mad for periodic picture updates.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stumbled across this thread and just wow. It’s STUNNING, and props to you for restoring/enhancing its beauty. May your wife wear in good health and happiness! We wouldn’t be mad for periodic picture updates.

Thank you @mwang05 I do have a couple more pictures I can add. =)2

woman-faint-12668379.jpg
Wow !
@mwang05 thats for posting because this thread predates me joining PS
@prs wow ! What a success story ! :appl: :appl::appl::appl::appl:

Daisy, thank you so much!

Taking photos of this pendant is a little difficult. Too much light and the diamonds sparkle so much they blur the camera. Too little light and the emerald looks dark. Here's one of each kind. :mrgreen2:

9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 7.jpg

9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 12.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @mwang05 I do have a couple more pictures I can add. =)2

Daisy, thank you so much!

Taking photos of this pendant is a little difficult. Too much light and the diamonds sparkle so much they blur the camera. Too little light and the emerald looks dark. Here's one of each kind. :mrgreen2:

9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 7.jpg

9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 12.jpg

I Forget to breath when i look at that !
What a wonderful 2nd life for your pendent
Back at home with someone who trully loves it

Reactions: prs

Emeraldover

Rough_Rock
Hi Miki, we visited with David Klass today and had the emerald removed from the setting. It is 9.26 ct and measures 19.70x13.04x7.21. The setting is platinum and I estimate the diamonds at about 4.70 tcw. The general opinion right now is the stone is of low to medium quality but definitely needs cleaning and re-oiling. One emerald expert thought it was Columbian but another thought Zambia. o_O

Amy introduced us to Land Gems on the 6th floor of their building. He provides a traditional emerald cleaning and re-oiling service using cedar oil. We decided to go the traditional route because the stone will be done by Monday and we'll get to see what it really looks like then. :cool2: The Excel route would have involved shipping to New York. FYI if you ever go gem hunting in LA; Land Gems would be well worth a visit.

After that Amy will send it to AGL for certification. In the meantime she is going to figure out how to put a bale at the teardrop end of the setting, possibly in conjunction with another couple of marquise diamond "leaves" to fill in the gap. What do y'all think of that idea?

Could you please give me address and contact information for Land Gems. I have an emerald which i want to get cleaned and reoiled

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Could you please give me address and contact information for Land Gems. I have an emerald which i want to get cleaned and reoiled

Um... there's no way for you to know this, but prs sadly passed away a couple of years ago. I suggest making the best of google in this particular case.

Um... there's no way for you to know this, but prs sadly passed away a couple of years ago. I suggest making the best of google in this particular case.

Isn't it crazy how the mind works... when I first saw this post resurrected, for a split second I thought Peter had returned.
1899482x71z4sptky.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results