shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Re-oiling Advice Please

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Your emerald turned out great. I wonder now if my dark emerald would lighten up. I bought a new lighter emerald which I love but I don’t think my darker emerald will lighten up that much.

Congrats on your emerald!
Hi Miki, the re-oiling cost was minimal, so it might be worth a try.

However, given your name, I should point out that Seven Seas Pearls' display windows face you as you exit the elevator for Land Gems. Let me just say that my wallet did not leave that floor unscathed. :eek2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just received some more photos from Amy at David Klass. She had their photographer take them before she sent the emerald off to AGL. I have to say the folks at DK were extraordinarily helpful thru this whole process.

9.26 Ct Emerald Pear DK1.jpg 9.26 Ct Emerald Pear DK2.jpg 9.26 Ct Emerald Pear DK3.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any updates?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:eek2:
I didnt see this thread when they first posted, but I have to say - that piece is exquisite! :eek2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@whitewave It's been six weeks now and we are still waiting for the emerald to come back from AGL. I didn't expect it would take this long although we did request the Prestige Full-Grading report.

We are adding two matching marquise diamonds to fill in the gaps and make four "leaves" on each side of the pendant. Also DW has decided it will be worn as teardrop, so there will be a V shaped, round diamond studded bale between the leaves. @tkyasx78 thank you, it is a gorgeous piece, I hope our modifications don't mess it up! :eek2:

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see it finished and know what it is. Will you share when you find out?

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So excited for you! The stone looks much nicer than pre oiling, it definitely has more presence!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would suggest after it comes back from AGL, you may want to get the stone appraised while it is loose. I did exactly that for my Colombian while it was still loose and back from AGL. It would be good to know it’s value before you mount it again.

Good luck!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following. That emerald is beautiful!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Overall the cert is very good news, much better than we expected.

Given the Finish Grade of 6-7 I'm thinking we might want to have the stone polished, and maybe that might help improve the brightness. However I don't know if there are any risks associated with polishing an included emerald.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Polishing the stone will not make it "brighter", which I interpret as you wanting it to look more "alive". The color is a bit dark and it is included which is causing that. You could try and recut it if it really bothers you, but for me, I would not. With emeralds, a lot of caution needs to be taken for recuts and it should only be via an emerald expert, not any cutter.

The cut in your stone is not symmetrical as shown in the report. That is not unusual for native cut emeralds as it optimized for color and weight. What I mean by this is... I have a Colombian emerald that I purchased loose.. I was looking for a lighter green (I already have a darker green one which I do not like and it has no life). My stone is cut deep as it is lighter and it is also "lopsided", not symmetrical, but the cutter due it deep to make it more darker green. I love the color though and had been looking for an emerald like that forever. Likewise, if it's a dark emerald, the cutter may do a more shallow cut. If you re-cut, you may lighten it up a bit and get more liveliness, but who knows what other issues that will create and how the cut will affect those inclusions. You will not get more "clarity", and it will still have a lot of that jardin (a fancy name for a lot inclusions). So my two cents is to leave it and enjoy it. My opinion is the more you mess with stones, something else always happens!

I would suggest before you pop it back into its setting, the next step is to get it appraised if that matters to you. A 9ct emerald is a good size, regardless of the darker green and inclusions. For me... I like to know what replacement value is for a stone just for fun. I know if I try to sell it, I won't get crap for it, but it's fun to mentally know I got a great deal (at least on paper).

Glad your stone came back as Colombian! Your stone is lovely, enjoy it!

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By the way, I want to add one more thing...color is subjective. Some people love darker emeralds while others like lighter. So while the medium tone with slight blue is often thought as the reference, color is purely subjective.

I got suckered in to what was supposed to be the "reference" colors for gemstones thinking they were more valuable. Yes, they are, but I didn't love it and gemstones are not investments, hence I wasted money buying stones I truly did not love. I have learned, and now, I only buy the color I love.

The color you love is THE perfect stone, regardless of what any one says.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Polishing the stone will not make it "brighter", which I interpret as you wanting it to look more "alive". The color is a bit dark and it is included which is causing that. You could try and recut it if it really bothers you, but for me, I would not. With emeralds, a lot of caution needs to be taken for recuts and it should only be via an emerald expert, not any cutter.
Hi Miki, we are not going to recut the stone. I understand the reason diamonds and colored gemstones are graded on their polish is because highly polished surfaces do allow more light to enter thru that surface. As a result highly polished stones do indeed appear brighter than poorly polished stones. Hopefully one of our experts will chime in here.

My research so far indicates that emeralds are more tricky to polish than other gemstones because dust can be driven into surface reaching inclusions. However a good polish on an emerald is just as important as it is on other gemstones.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I talked with David Klass today, he had been in touch with one of his friends, an expert emerald cutter. Apparently when you polish an emerald the risk is that you might touch a fissure that lies just below the surface, and then the area around the fissure flakes off, leaving a pit in the surface of the stone. Their unanimous opinion was that we have a very nice stone with a great cert, and should leave well enough alone. Not wishing to turn our emerald into an expensive paperweight, I am taking that advice. ;)2

@Miki Moto, you were right!

The emerald is back, and David and Amy are working their magic on the setting, We should be all done next week.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting and I’m so pleased the end result was fabulous. Who knew such beauty has hiding there. Can’t wait to see the splendid final result.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bron, I very much appreciate your support. I haven't been on this board for very long, but I know you have an incredibly deep knowledge of colored stones and vintage jewelry, and have gone to great lengths to use that knowledge to help others.

The thread has disappeared, but your extraordinarily generous offer of "Light" has perhaps left you somewhat disheartened and in a bit of a pickle as to how to get it back. Of course you also have some rubies and other odds and sods that need to be sorted! If you need cheering up, and a trip to LA and the West Coast would surely do that, my wife and I would love to show you some West Coast hospitality, and also help set up meetings with experts who could help you evaluate your treasure trove. :love:

Last edited:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I love a happy ending, and this has been such a nice journey to follow from your discovery of the brooch in a sad state to its transformation and good certification. I think the emerald looks beautiful now. Look forward to seeing the final product modeled on your DW :clap:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's great to hear! I can't wait to see the final product! Please post photos!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@metall @soxfan @Miki Moto @peacechick Thank you for your kind comments. We only got to see the "new" stone for half an hour before we gave it to Amy to send to AGL. You can imagine how anxious we are to see it again back home in its setting !!!

And yes Miki, DKJ have recommended a very experienced appraiser just down the street from them, and the pendant will be appraised before we pick it up. ;)2

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bron, I very much appreciate your support. I haven't been on this board for very long, but I know you have an incredibly deep knowledge of colored stones and vintage jewelry, and have gone to great lengths to use that knowledge to help others.

The thread has disappeared, but your extraordinarily generous offer of "Light" has perhaps left you somewhat disheartened and in a bit of a pickle as to how to get it back. Of course you also have some rubies and other odds and sods that need to be sorted! If you need cheering up, and a trip to LA and the West Coast would surely do that, my wife and I would love to show you some West Coast hospitality, and also help set up meetings with experts who could help you evaluate your treasure trove. :love:
Thank you for your kind words Mr PRs.
Us Aussies are a fairly stoic lot and can roll with the punches! It was certainly a shock and a disappointment to wake up to the “new direction” the thread had taken and to realise that the words didn’t match the Instagram account. Fortunately Light, renamed Truth (ha ha) is safe and sound.
And I must start saving up for a US trip, wouldn’t that be grand! I’ll bring my little pretties along for the ride. It’s such a shame we all aren’t living closer, the fun playing and talking gems and settings with likeminded people can’t be underestimated. :appl:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 it would be so wonderful if there was ever was a CS get together. You must bring your stones and share all your wisdom! I could sit around all day listening to you talk about CS!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am enjoying this thread and emerald adventure very much. I cannot wait to see the finished pendant.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We drove into LA on Friday and picked up the finished pendant from David Klass. We think it came out rather well. :D

9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 2.jpg

9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 1.jpg View attachment 635454 9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 3.jpg 9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 4.jpg 9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 5.jpg

Many thanks to Amy and David at DKJ for all their help and advice!

Last edited:

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We drove into LA on Friday and picked up the finished pendant from David Klass. We think it came out rather well. :D

9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 1.jpg View attachment 635454 9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 3.jpg 9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 4.jpg 9.26 Ct Emerald Pendant 5.jpg

Many thanks to Amy and David at DKJ for all their help and advice!
What a fun adventure and beautiful treasure!

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OMG, it's gorgeous!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ADORE this piece! wow, it came out incredibly beautiful. Congratulations!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The pendant came out beautiful and it suits your wife gorgeously! May you both enjoy it equally for years to come!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results