shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald or Pear?

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
I think the pear is beautiful but I am a little impartial. I think you should get what you love and feel the best in. You can rock any stone I would think.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both beautiful but I would choose the emerald cut. Elegant and sophisticated and looks amazing on you. I appreciate pears but don't care for the disorganized appearance at the ends of all pears. Completely personal decision however. Choose the one that makes your heart go pitter patter. :kiss2:

Oh, I absolutely agree! An emerald cut is classic and classy...it never goes out of style. I wouldn't have to even think a moment to choose emerald cut over a pear. You have nice long fingers and can wear any diamond shape well! But as Missy said, go with what your heart desires!

A lot of people have had success with Yekutiel at ID Jewelry in NYC. He can easily source stones being in the diamond district. You just need to make an appointment with him in advance so he can bring in some stones.

I personally would not even consider D-E or IF. I'd rather have a larger diamond in F or G color. VS1 and VVS are all totally clean to the eye and VS1 almost always with a 10x loupe. So going to D-E IF is more of a mental thing than something people could see. The vast majority of people here choose the near colorless range to get a greater size diamond.

ID Jewelry can call in stones from this site and will sell for less. I am going to take back what I said because I see you can get a 4 ct stone for $100k. Or you can go with F-G and spend less. As you can see, the HW prices are insane.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/4.02-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-4851303

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/4.02-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6066809

I'd recommend Victor Canera in LA for your setting, and in fact, he may call in stones for you. I'd ask. But you only need one person sourcing stones for you, because they are all looking through the same lists of stones and it costs money to have them shipped in.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second the thoughts here! I would DIE for a 6 ct EC and go down on color and clarity!! Currently I have a 3.5 that faces up like a 4+ct. it doesn’t look showy at all. 5-6ct in H-I, VS1 or VS2 would be stunning and should be white and eye clean. I hardly ever see an ostentatious EC. Just my two cents.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I second the thoughts here! I would DIE for a 6 ct EC and go down on color and clarity!! Currently I have a 3.5 that faces up like a 4+ct. it doesn’t look showy at all. 5-6ct in H-I, VS1 or VS2 would be stunning and should be white and eye clean. I hardly ever see an ostentatious EC. Just my two cents.
. I agree. For some reason, Emerald cuts can get away w being in the larger side w out looking like you are trying to hard. It’s an understated elegance. Think Grace Kelly, Amal Clooney, etc. That being said, get whatever makes your heart go pitter patter.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
. I agree. For some reason, Emerald cuts can get away w being in the larger side w out looking like you are trying to hard. It’s an understated elegance. Think Grace Kelly, Amal Clooney, etc. That being said, get whatever makes your heart go pitter patter.
. Need to check before I post... *on the larger size”

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

helen8378

Rough_Rock
So the question leads to.... emerald or pear?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So the question leads to.... emerald or pear?
I’m changing my vote to emerald. It looks really great. I think it’s worth investing time checking out different ratios and looking at lots of different “flavors” to get a feel for what you love.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the minority as I love the pear or oval. These are so classy yet modern.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the oval and pear the most but all are gorgeous!!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
I love emeralds (I have an emerald ring myself) but I love the pear on your finger. I am actually now looking into a pear cut as well. I never thought i’d like the shape but it’s growing on me.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

helen8378

Rough_Rock
I'm so in love with this setting and design. I saw the ring in London a couple months ago and haven't stopped thinking about it since.

Attachments

• R2111 Emerald cut Twist Ring Client Enquiry Sheet.pdf
    837.1 KB · Views: 149

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so in love with this setting and design. I saw the ring in London a couple months ago and haven't stopped thinking about it since.
That is gorgeous! Only warning is that you likely won't be able to wear a wedding band with it due to the diamonds on the sides. But I love classic shapes with a twist, and this is exactly rhay style!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Call me crazy but I don't think the 7ct looks obnoxious at all:lol: You can get away with it in ECs so I say go as big as you can!
With your long fingers - it doesn’t look too big at all. I am not just saying that! Ps. emerald cut all the way. Who has hands like that! Looks so beyond elegant. Anything you choose will!! They are all beautiful.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally agree. My boyfriend LOVES the pear, but I'm not too keen on it. I'm a sex and the city gal and I will never forget when Carrie threw up when she saw the pear Aiden bought.

I'm leaning towards the Emerald and Oval. I have apts for HW and Tiffanys tomorrow. Will post more photos tomorrow! Stay tuned!
Hi! I have both an EC and a Pear. I love them both for different reasons.
I saw the Sex In The City episode, too, but I've always loved a Pear shaped stone and I still do! It's only a tv show and look at the styles they wore then! You probably wouldn't wear half of them now! :P2
One thing I will say about an oval versus a pear is that you really can only minimize the bow tie in both cuts (unless they're antique cut, in which case they are deep, not spready) so you will see the bow tie in the middle of an oval-with what @missy called the "disorganized facet pattern" at both ends rather than one. I don't care for the line smack in the middle of the stone that the bow tie inevitably creates.
Personally, I prefer the Pear on you because it's very graceful on your hand. I think you can find one where the facets are more defined than some others and you get more finger coverage per carat weight with the Pear. Also, if you are staying in the D-F color range, you won't have to worry about the point appearing more tinted than the rounded end.
Something else to consider is that a Pear's facets can more easily hide inclusions, so you can go down a bit in clarity if you want to, whereas inclusions can't "hide" within the facets of an EC-so you will need to stay with higher clarity.
But if you love the look of an EC, that's a truly elegant and timeless look - so if that's what your heart desires, go for it! EC's are available in various proportions so try as many on as you can to see what looks best on you. Maybe you'll like a thin, elongated stone or a shorter, chunkier stone! Or something in between!
Can't wait to see what you decide upon! Have fun looking and congratulations!!! :D

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I'm biased towards Emerald cut. But I think it should be a gut feeling. One will most likely just feel better/more you to you.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I saw the Sex In The City episode, too, but I've always loved a Pear shaped stone and I still do! It's only a tv show and look at the styles they wore then! You probably wouldn't wear half of them now!
One thing I will say about an oval versus a pear is that you really can only minimize the bow tie in both cuts (unless they're antique cut, in which case they are deep, not spready) so you will see the bow tie in the middle of an oval-with what @missy called the "disorganized facet pattern" at both ends rather than one. I don't care for the line smack in the middle of the stone that the bow tie inevitably creates.
Personally, I prefer the Pear on you because it's very graceful on your hand. I think you can find one where the facets are more defined than some others and you get more finger coverage per carat weight with the Pear. Also, if you are staying in the D-F color range, you won't have to worry about the point appearing more tinted than the rounded end.
Something else to consider is that a Pear's facets can more easily hide inclusions, so you can go down a bit in clarity if you want to, whereas inclusions can't "hide" within the facets of an EC-so you will need to stay with higher clarity.
But if you love the look of an EC, that's a truly elegant and timeless look - so if that's what your heart desires, go for it! EC's are available in various proportions so try as many on as you can to see what looks best on you. Maybe you'll like a thin, elongated stone or a shorter, chunkier stone! Or something in between!
Can't wait to see what you decide upon! Have fun looking and congratulations!!! :D

I have an idea! Get the 7ct EC and get a G VS1 and voila- budget and size achieved :P2

helen8378

Rough_Rock
I saw the Sex In The City episode, too, but I've always loved a Pear shaped stone and I still do! It's only a tv show and look at the styles they wore then! You probably wouldn't wear half of them now! :P2

Ahh I can't wait to share my ring when the day comes! I was wondering if you could share your emerald shopping experiences? The ring in your avatar looks stunning!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond will find you. Ask your jeweler to source options in both cuts and see what the options are. I could not decide between an EC or an oval. Saw a bizillon options and fell in love with my oval.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the pear. I like it even more that it isn’t always in style! It’s unique and so pretty.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
625976A6-838A-4974-9A8B-970441DB72A1.jpeg 72B979CC-DFDE-468A-91E1-B4744B474419.jpeg 1E2389C2-E0E9-4F52-A545-3F77803A3EB3.jpeg 571D657D-6AC2-4DD5-B2FE-2E9AFD4158E0.jpeg . 228B20C9-F658-40C6-A38B-037A529693CD.jpeg

Here are the photos from today! I even included a 7 ct!
Go with what makes your heart sing. That’s my advice. I too love EC but they look awful on my hand. I went with what made me fall in love.

helen8378

Rough_Rock
So ladies...
I am ready to shop for an EMERALD cut diamond!!!

My budget is around $45-55k * does not include setting & etc.
I'm looking for:
Color: E-G
Clarity: VVS1-VS1
LW: 1.4-1.5
Girdle: Very thin - slightly thick

I'm having a hard time understanding fire/brilliance/scintillation for an emerald. Can some please help me by showing examples of a well-cut emerald vs a bad one?
I would like to purchase this wholesale or online. I have no preference. I just want to know that I'm getting the best bang for my buck.
Also, when shopping for the stone, are there other things I should be aware of?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results