shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald experts please

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That’s just not true. CVD isn’t suited best for certain cuts. If anything, step cuts are going to show the graining more due to the reflection. HPHT is more expensive for a reason. We have only seen a handful of well-developed CVD stones on this forum.
Respectably strongly disagree.
The shape of the rough determines what shape works best with it.
Laser cut a rectangle of cvd rough is a great preform for a EC.
Graning is an issue with cvd of any shape but several of the ones in this thread appear to have good crystal but the cut is awful.
HPHT rough is rarely if ever grown in a shape suited for an EC which is why they are nearly all CVD.
There have been a lot of CVD diamonds recommended and purchased here.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
option 9:

is this even what a GCAL emerald report should look like? Or should the symmetry look more like a good ASET?
It does not have a ton of leakage face up but it has a whole boat load of obstruction, viewing it close its going to look like the video, dark and lifeless. The GCAL images confirm its not just the video.
It does have good crystal.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the mean time, these two were just recommended to me:

option 8:

I was told, “The cutter that cut that stone has the most beautiful stones I’ve seen. Their cuts are amazing. That black is the facets reflecting the camera, that means they are reflecting. There are defined lines in the facets, no windows.”
Same story, very little leakage, dark up close.
Its cvd+hpht and has good crystal.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Graning is an issue with cvd of any shape but several of the ones in this thread appear to have good crystal but the cut is awful.
HPHT rough is rarely if ever grown in a shape suited for an EC which is why they are nearly all CVD.

I understand and respect what you’re saying, but I have seen very few quality CVD. I have seen many HPHT, but they come at a premium price and are much higher quality. On the 360 views of these diamonds, there appears to be plenty of graining. I feel as CVD becomes cheaper and faster to reproduce, the quality has significantly declined and this is true for all shapes.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I understand and respect what you’re saying, but I have seen very few quality CVD. I have seen many HPHT, but they come at a premium price and are much higher quality. On the 360 views of these diamonds, there appears to be plenty of graining. I feel as CVD becomes cheaper and faster to reproduce, the quality has significantly declined and this is true for all shapes.
I look at the crystal before I look at the reports to see how it was made.
There is good crystal out there cvd, cvd+hpht and hpht, and there is also very bad crystal of all types.
Some of the cleanest crystal I have seen lately has been cvd+hpht and some of the worst hpht.
The point being its always a case by case bases.

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Your 4.56 is obviously CVD and full of graining. I’m very confused Scooba, because you told me the 4.1 is too small and the 5 was too big, but now you’re asking about 3.78s and posting links to “very good cuts,” which are never actually cut well.

The 3.78 was recommended to me. I am not interested in an I color either. The recommender suggested I look for a GCAL stone since they do not provide ASETs and I am concerned with light performance. I posted that stone simply to ask whether that GCAL report even looks good.

Also, it's not about carat weight, it's about spread. Obviously because there is a large range of acceptable depths for ECs, spread can vary greatly among carat weights. The first 3.78 faces up larger (82.3 mm2) than the 4.1 (77.9 mm2). It's face is like 6% larger, so if it possible that one could reject a 4.1 for size but accept a 3.78.

Did I post a "very good" cut? I may have because I don't really pay attention to the cut grade assigned by the vendor. One of the vendors I search often (b2c) will not label any EC with a ratio above 1.45 as "excellent." So I don't think the vendor cut grades necessarily reflect the actual quality of the cut. They may, as in the case of b2c, simply reflect the vendor's preferred ratio.

Last edited:

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Same story, very little leakage, dark up close.
Its cvd+hpht and has good crystal.

This is exactly what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I was correctly identifying this despite what the Adianor rep said. Thank you again!

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
here is the video of "option 7" that can be manipulated

IMG_1103.jpeg

@Karl_K Does the full video of this one give you anymore info?

would you please take a look at this one? It was recommended by someone is who is not just a sales rep

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
@Karl_K Does the full video of this one give you anymore info?

would you please take a look at this one? It was recommended by someone is who is not just a sales rep

@Karl_K better link

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Both of those have issues: rotate about 5 degrees, see how a huge part of the stone goes dark all at once?
Each of those bars should flash independent of each other but they don't. 3+ of them all go dark at once.

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi again, @Karl_K I finally found another store that I am interested in. If you wouldn’t mind giving me your opinion, I’d really appreciate it

option 11: https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamonds/4.58-ct-E-VVS2-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D54278840

im not at my pc to check the crystal, face up ts just a tad contrasty but it dances really nice.
Some people like the contrasty look others don't.
Its obstruction so will only look it up close.
I will try and get back tonight and check the crystal.
@Kim N @DejaWiz can you check the crystal in case I don't get back tonight?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hard to discern if I'm seeing environmental reflection or CVD graining.

Screenshot_20231011-164318-308.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @DejaWiz at this angle I would call the upper areas you circled as likely crystal issues.
The side ones probably a result of the photo setup.
The lower ones likely crystal.
So overall it has some crystal issues limited to relatively small parts of the stone.
All things considered its worth a look in person.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @DejaWiz at this angle I would call the upper areas you circled as likely crystal issues.
The side ones probably a result of the photo setup.
The lower ones likely crystal.
So overall it has some crystal issues limited to relatively small parts of the stone.
All things considered its worth a look in person.

If this is also crystal issues, are they still limited enough in area to bring the stone in?

graining.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If this is also crystal issues, are they still limited enough in area to bring the stone in?

graining.jpg

That is environmental. There isn't a crystal issue that would follow the large virtual facets perfectly. The color is also highly unlikely to be crystal..
Its 2 virtual facets picking up color from the environment.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
That is environmental. There isn't a crystal issue that would follow the large virtual facets perfectly. The color is also highly unlikely to be crystal..
Its 2 virtual facets picking up color from the environment.

Asking seriously. I feel like I only see this grainy appearance in CVD stones though. Why doesn’t HPHT capture the environment to this extent?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Asking seriously. I feel like I only see this grainy appearance in CVD stones though. Why doesn’t HPHT capture the environment to this extent?
It's out of focus in that area, camera dof issue.
its also more of an issue because the images are super highly compressed which introduces artifacts.
A diamond with perfect crystal would look that way.
Its the cut not the material that catches the environmental color and its normal for an EC.
They draw light from a huge area around the stone vs a highly directional mrb.
With mrbs you catch the same areas when the stone is sideways.

edit: looking again its more of a compression artifact issue making the colored area blurry than dof.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results