shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald experts please

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
I’ve returned 3 already. This one was suggested to me, can I get you thoughts? Crown height is only 13%. I had one that was 16 and loved the extra sparkle on the corners. I manipulated the video toward the end. IMG_0847.jpeg

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Option 4: only 11.5% CH and maybe to shallow for its table, but it looks pretty to me, what am I missing?

IMG_0893.jpeg

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
anyone?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry I haven't been able to be at my desk for long to view videos. I'v got a pinched nerve in my neck that is causing me a ton of issues.
1: hard to tell without a video I can control the spin on.. but yea looks dead center.
2: leaky look at the center then up towards the side, there is a big bar like virtual facet leaking.
3: same as 2
4: has crystal issues it looks like. Either that its just a bad video. My guess its likely crystal issues. Cut other than ch is probably the best of the 4 but not that great.

There are a ton of badly cut CVD LGD ECs on the market, the cvd rough is very well suited to cutting them but they just don't know how to cut them right.

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much. I don't know why I can't see this stuff myself. I've read about the p3 facets and so many of your posts, but I just can't tell what I'm looking at. I found a few more tonight that I though must be good if you don't mind.

Option 5: 66 table, 67.1 depth, 14.5 CH

Option 6: 64.5 table, 67.1 depth, 14.5 CH

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
5: dark and leaky center. Dark ends.
6: crystal issues and the again the bottom 2 rows on the pavilion are off leading to leakage and obstruction.

The issues are really the same for all of them, not the right angles on the bottom 2 rows of facets to match the rest of the facets.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If your working with someone have them find out who cut these and send you some links to some cut by someone else.

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
If your working with someone have them find out who cut these and send you some links to some cut by someone else.

Thank you. I'm not working with anyone. I figured these were different cutters based on the videos. How can I identify crystal issues?

I also had this one in my cart:

Option 7: 66 table, 65.5 depth, 14.5 CH

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
Sorry I haven't been able to be at my desk for long to view videos. I'v got a pinched nerve in my neck that is causing me a ton of issues.
1: hard to tell without a video I can control the spin on.. but yea looks dead center.
2: leaky look at the center then up towards the side, there is a big bar like virtual facet leaking.
3: same as 2
4: has crystal issues it looks like. Either that its just a bad video. My guess its likely crystal issues. Cut other than ch is probably the best of the 4 but not that great.

There are a ton of badly cut CVD LGD ECs on the market, the cvd rough is very well suited to cutting them but they just don't know how to cut them right.

Karl, I just wanted to say that I hope you get relief from that pinched nerve. I sympathize and empathize. I don’t post often but I always read what you, Gary and all of the other PS experts post about emerald cuts.…. even though most of it is over my head!
Hope Scooba116 finds her dream stone!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you. I'm not working with anyone. I figured these were different cutters based on the videos. How can I identify crystal issues?

I also had this one in my cart:

Option 7: 66 table, 65.5 depth, 14.5 CH

dead center.

crystal problems show up as weird colors and or areas that look foggy. or streaky

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
You should Try ID Jewelry in NYC. They have an ASET scope in house and can take photos, etc for you. If you live near NYC you can go there, but call for an appointment.

Either that, or use someone with a concierge service who knows what to look for. IT might cost a little more, but will be worth it in the end.

There is also Jann Paul. Their cost is a bit more, but their quality is exceptional as is their seed for the rough.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if your budget, but do any of these hit the mark for you?

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Runningmamma gave some great options and the return policy is excellent. If the budget works, you can't go wrong with ordering one (or two to compare).

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
dead center.

crystal problems show up as weird colors and or areas that look foggy. or streaky

Thanks, Karl. I finally found another one that may be ok, would you mind checking it? I know you’d rather have the video to manipulate but this is what I’ve got.
IMG_1103.jpeg

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if your budget, but do any of these hit the mark for you?

Thank you! These are gorgeous. I ordered one that was the same size as the first two that felt a little small And one that was the size of the third that felt big so I think my sweet spot is right in the middle! The budget is fine, but I just have this determination to find one for less because there are so many. But many that’s my problem and why I’m struggling to find a great one.

What are you thoughts on the one I posted earlier today?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
no spin but its more of a no looking at the pic.

That is so strange, sorry. I ordered it before posting it so no one would steal it and the video disappeared. I asked if they could send it to me.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is so strange, sorry. I ordered it before posting it so no one would steal it and the video disappeared. I asked if they could send it to me.

ok

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock

In the mean time, these two were just recommended to me:

option 8:

I was told, “The cutter that cut that stone has the most beautiful stones I’ve seen. Their cuts are amazing. That black is the facets reflecting the camera, that means they are reflecting. There are defined lines in the facets, no windows.”

option 9:

is this even what a GCAL emerald report should look like? Or should the symmetry look more like a good ASET?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Your 4.56 is obviously CVD and full of graining. I’m very confused Scooba, because you told me the 4.1 is too small and the 5 was too big, but now you’re asking about 3.78s and posting links to “very good cuts,” which are never actually cut well.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
In the mean time, these two were just recommended to me:

option 8:

I was told, “The cutter that cut that stone has the most beautiful stones I’ve seen. Their cuts are amazing. That black is the facets reflecting the camera, that means they are reflecting. There are defined lines in the facets, no windows.”

option 9:

is this even what a GCAL emerald report should look like? Or should the symmetry look more like a good ASET?

Companies will tell you anything to get you to buy their stones, please take everything with a grain of salt. Both are CVD. If you’re going the CVD route you want to look for a stone that states “no evidence of post growth treatment.” The second diamond is milky.

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
Companies will tell you anything to get you to buy their stones, please take everything with a grain of salt. Both are CVD. If you’re going the CVD route you want to look for a stone that states “no evidence of post growth treatment.” The second diamond is milky.

I just wondered they recommended of all the hundreds or thousands they have access to, because they don't look good to me.

I did order one HPHT stone and paid a premium for it, but the one of the experts told me that CVD is very well-suited to emerald cuts.

What do you think of the one in reply #16?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
That’s just not true. CVD isn’t suited best for certain cuts. If anything, step cuts are going to show the graining more due to the reflection. HPHT is more expensive for a reason. We have only seen a handful of well-developed CVD stones on this forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results