shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald diamonds: warm or not?

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
A big question I am curious about how emeralds face up if they are warmer than usual. Not yellow diamonds but warmer whites like I/J range. How do the hues look? I’m curious about purchasing a larger warmer emerald diamond..I have dark skin, maybe it would possibly face up whiter due to skin contrast..

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you've not already seen either of these threads, here's
  • The owner of a J asking if Psers thought a change of setting would minimize the tint she was seeing:

• a thread, launched by the same OP, of J-color emerald/step-cut diamonds:

Of course, there's no way to be truly certain that what you see on your screen is actually what the stone(s) will look like in real life, so an easy return & refund is really important imo, especially because these kinds of diamonds are not all cut alike.

Have you been able to see (m)any emerald/step--cut diamonds, of any color, in real life? They don't all have the same faceting pattern, so if you could hone in the one(s) you find most appealing (and make note of the faceting depicted on the lab reports of those), that would make online browsing easier. Emerald/step cut stones that draw your eye in can be so intriguing -- I hope you soon find one that pleases you, and your budget :))

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I'm personally partial to step cuts that are as white as can be, and I have read that step cuts are less forgiving than brilliant cuts as there's less dazzle to mask the colour.
If you check out Alex Park's Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/parksfinegroupinc/), he's had a few Emeralds and Asschers in very low colours and they are stunning... If I won the lottery I would buy a low colour step cut, and not worry about them facing up white. Given how stunning the low colour step cuts are, I think an I or J would still look fairly white. As @MollyMalone said, you may need to assess them in person and then return if they don't suit you.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have an I emerald. It has a slight tint in certain lights, but most of the time, is very white. It is very much a preference and seeing how you feel about them.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's OK for me to speak from experience with a personal piece, the ring in my avatar, the center is a GIA "L"! It doesn't even have any fluor to help mask it. I've had plenty of people look at it and no one ever guessed lower than "H". I would say step cuts should all be evaluated on a case by case basis when it comes to how they "face up" with color.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The LARGE facets can mask color in the same way the large factes of old style brilliants do - if the stone is bright enough, which happens to a few step cuts. The cut is rare in fancy colors because it is difficult to make it hold color well.

2p

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
This is the style I’m interested in:

this is the Berricle I own (2ct) & I also have an antique 3 stone (.75ctw)

basically I’m wondering how warm I can go. I don’t want a huge diamond, maybe a 1.5ct Center stone....

Attachments

• 52607740-0FE1-4C26-B815-F5FA3ABE6404.png
    52607740-0FE1-4C26-B815-F5FA3ABE6404.png
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • 9D66B46E-E5A8-4932-A206-010D368FCDD4.png
    9D66B46E-E5A8-4932-A206-010D368FCDD4.png
    489.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 5A350A70-9EC7-4210-9AD5-5DE08F2146BB.jpeg
    5A350A70-9EC7-4210-9AD5-5DE08F2146BB.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The size helps. I would worry about H in a large stone. I wouldn't worry about J and dare K.
A bright step cut will work.

Digressing,

A YG band would help, I think; the tint of further grades (M) fits the colour of YG reflections through any diamond - the match is splendid to me (so are ST & beyond stones in high carat gold - it took playing with a few to know what it means to 'match' gold and diamond colors!).

Then,

This is a very harsh colour demo - D & J diffuse light (no brilliance at all!) white paper background: WWW seeing the stone separately tells how subtle the J is WWW , WWW

AV_

Ideal_Rock
ctd.

After writing the above, I went on to look at prices & it does not seem useful to only look at IJK because prices do not work that way. It is worth looking at anything over 1.4cts and within a small distance above budget, come what may.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This WWW is what I mean by 'bright step cut'! In fact, this is a shop to ask for interesting options of step cut diamonds, all in all.

thinking out loud

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
EC and RB same color material same virtual lighting.
EC comes in many variations but this is fairly typical with how they handle color.
Fancy colored ECs are rare because it is very very hard to get an "even" color grade.

Attachments

• rb.jpg
    rb.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 52
  • EC.jpg
    EC.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 58

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
An asscher/SE can be a different story and can face up closer to the RB of the same material.
However the handling of the light does not tell the whole story.
How often they will show body color vs just bright light varies a lot in SE/EC more so than a reasonable cut RB.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An asscher/SE can be a different story and can face up closer to the RB of the same material.
However the handling of the light does not tell the whole story.
How often they will show body color vs just bright light varies a lot in SE/EC more so than a reasonable cut RB.

THAT is def true, the setting for my "L" hides the side view so you can't see the body color. If it were view able it would have been more noticeable for sure.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Don’t know if you came across this thread already but just in case, here’s a range of warm(er) emerald cut diamonds...

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have an emerald cut .86 ct., GIA graded H, VS2. It is set in a pave’ halo pendant. I am color sensitive and to me there is too much tint at even that size.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you won't know how warm in color you yourself can go until you're able to "audition" some ECs in real life. E.g., headlight's H has too much tint for her tastes, but I bet many people would be happy with her EC pendant as shown here:
ETA what you see below is the preview of the original post for the thread, but clicking on the link will take you directly to headlight's post with pic:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think you won't know how warm in color you yourself can go until you're able to "audition" some ECs in real life. E.g., headlight's H has too much tint for her tastes, but I bet many people would be happy with her EC pendant as shown here:
ETA what you see below is the preview of the original post for the thread, but clicking on the link will take you directly to headlight's post with pic:

Thank you for finding that photo! It’s actually quite funny as I was just taking off that pendant and cleaning it and was noticing his warm it looked to me and then I saw your post!... it looks so colorless in the photo, very different than in person!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
A big question I am curious about how emeralds face up if they are warmer than usual. Not yellow diamonds but warmer whites like I/J range. How do the hues look? I’m curious about purchasing a larger warmer emerald diamond..I have dark skin, maybe it would possibly face up whiter due to skin contrast..

Hi- I agree that you need to see the stone in person and in different lighting. I saw 2 EC k’s that were WHITE in YG and def white looking in WG. I’m sure not next to a high color but on its own - it was fine. I ended up buying a 4ct J (w med flour) which helps whiten it. It’s a great cut which I believe helps lift the color as well. It def does not look “tinted” of a “color” per se. Even next to my F color EC band (you cannot see a diff) but I’m sure next to a 4ct diamond (F color) you would. But again- that’s not likely to happen. You also need to see what you can live with. I had an F color EC and I’m ecstatic w my J (again- cut/shape/clarity/and not yellow looking) were my qualifications. In that order! I wanted a 1.4 ratio (and got 1.38). Can’t wait to see what you decide. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just to give you some idea, this is an M colour in platinum. I tried it on at Sothebys, it was over 10cts!!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Member @madelise has a gorgeous 4ct antique emerald cut K :) lots of eye candy in the thread below

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results