carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut "upgrade" - final contender

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Yay it's been confirmed available :appl:
And Blue Nile have approved the upgrade :appl:

Just waiting on the final calculation of what I have to pay (ouch) and then...waiting.

I just called our home insurer to get an estimate for adding it on to our insurance, once it arrives. It was surprisingly reasonable. Though I felt really embarrassed telling them how much it was :oops:

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!! I can’t wait to see it on your finger. We will need lots of pictures. Are you going to do something similar for the setting?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!! I can’t wait to see it on your finger. We will need lots of pictures. Are you going to do something similar for the setting?

Yes, I'm actually using the same setting - BN have said they can do so and will just put a different head in. It's very basic (blob prongs!) but I like its simplicity and it is sturdy and comfortable to wear. One day I'll probably have it reset locally in platinum with nice prongs, but always a simple solitaire!

Weirdly, I've been surprised by how much I like the light weight of the white gold compared to my other platinum rings. So who knows. I'm also looking forward to the rhodium plating wearing off as unplated WG suits my skin tone (BN don't offer it unplated unfortunately).

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
So, does that mean that you have already sent your current ring and setting as part of the upgrade, and then they’re going to put the on the new head and stone, and the next thing is you get your whole new ring and fabulous 2.08???

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
So, does that mean that you have already sent your current ring and setting as part of the upgrade, and then they’re going to put the on the new head and stone, and the next thing is you get your whole new ring and fabulous 2.08???

Almost! I still have the old one - apparently the exact final price with VAT/duty etc needs to be calculated and then I'll be contacted in the next few days with this, and instructions to return. And then yep, the idea is that the old ring with the new head and 2.08 stone (eek!) will magically appear on my doorstep 2-3 weeks later :errrr::shock::D:appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been out of commission with a dead in the water laptop...I'm finally back. You've got Karl's opinion and he is the step cut expert so
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of this new stone!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I've been out of commission with a dead in the water laptop...I'm finally back. You've got Karl's opinion and he is the step cut expert so
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of this new stone!

Oh dear, sorry to hear about the laptop! I am helpless without mine. Yes, very excited and will definitely post pics / a video once it arrives! A 2ct EC is more than I ever hoped for and I still feel slightly sick when I think of the cost, although we can afford it... I know I'll regret it if I don't go for it now though.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
The new avatar! :D Perfect for the waiting period.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I’m late to the party but just wanted to say congratulations! It’s a beautiful stone and I can’t wait to see the end result. Will you do a comparison of before and after? Wear it in good health!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I’m late to the party but just wanted to say congratulations! It’s a beautiful stone and I can’t wait to see the end result. Will you do a comparison of before and after? Wear it in good health!

Thank you! That's a great idea re before and after comparison. A lot of this journey was me slowly learning to evaluate emerald cuts. I read the theory but my eyes were slower to match it up to reality - though I think I'm starting to get it now.

Edit: the pricing still has me puzzled. I'd been watching these two 2ct diamonds on Blue Nile for a couple of months - their price has varied between around £9050 and £9200 but never more than that. Then suddenly they both dropped to £8200 ish literally overnight. I reserved it at that price for mine but the other one has now gone back up to £9211! (Presumably this one would have too if I hadn't bought it). What's up with that? I'm not complaining, but it's weird.

Last edited:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
OK here we are :cheeky:

I LOOOVE it but I probably still have no clue. It is visibly flashier and more lively than my old (shallower, larger tabled one). This one has 66.9% depth and 59% table, the centre is more active and there is much more of a hall of mirrors vibe going on. There seems to be less darkness (bear in mind my phone case is black and I've taken it in not brilliant single-source indoor lighting).

Thoughts..? @Karl_K @diamondseeker2006 @tyty333 @lovedogs @bright&shiny @Cerulean @Ibrakeforpossums @ksluice @everybodyelseIveforgottenwholovesemeraldcuts :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Wow", was my initial thought! It looks so big and blingy...I can see some of the steps doing their thing! I really like it!
Start a thread on the "Show me the Bling" forum once you get pics you like!

FYI...I have to put a white piece of paper with a cut-out for my lens on my phone to keep diamonds from reflecting my blue phone case.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
"Wow", was my initial thought! It looks so big and blingy...I can see some of the steps doing their thing! I really like it!
Start a thread on the "Show me the Bling" forum once you get pics you like!

FYI...I have to put a white piece of paper with a cut-out for my lens on my phone to keep diamonds from reflecting my blue phone case.

Thank you so my @tyty333 !!! I am so glad to hear that it looks good to you! It is definitely big and blingy, when I first put it on I thought it was too big, but hey we all know how that works out for PSers :Up_to_something:
looks kicken to me
congrates!!

:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:Thank you so much @Karl_K - you don't know how much the word "kicken" means to me when it comes from you - honestly I can die happy now :D:lol: So, a keeper then?

Oh, that's great news!!!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
As long as no big red flags, I'll keep it :)

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
WOW! Looks incredible. You must be so pleased. :)

I'm waiting on my own 2ct emerald upgrade from BlueNile (I think you posted on my now-removed post a few weeks ago!) and this makes me even more excited. Congrats!

Do you have any other photos?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! Looks incredible. You must be so pleased. :)

I'm waiting on my own 2ct emerald upgrade from BlueNile (I think you posted on my now-removed post a few weeks ago!) and this makes me even more excited. Congrats!

Do you have any other photos?

Thank you! Oh yes, I remember now! Which one did you go for in the end? (If you don't mind sharing - otherwise I'll wait patiently for the reveal once you have it :) )

Are you reusing your setting? I have, and it's great - they put a whole new head on it to accommodate the new diamond, and didn't charge a penny. One thing to consider - I didn't much care for the blobby prongs on my last ring so requested that they be shaped nicely to be more claw-like. I thought they'd say no, but they did it! You can't really see on the video but in real life and under the loupe they are actually really nice. So worth asking if you like that.

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Oh yes, I remember now! Which one did you go for in the end? (If you don't mind sharing - otherwise I'll wait patiently for the reveal once you have it :) )

Are you reusing your setting? I have, and it's great - they put a whole new head on it to accommodate the new diamond, and didn't charge a penny. One thing to consider - I didn't much care for the blobby prongs on my last ring so requested that they be shaped nicely to be more claw-like. I thought they'd say no, but they did it! You can't really see on the video but in real life and under the loupe they are actually really nice. So worth asking if you like that.

I went for the same one I originally posted (will absolutely update once I receive it.) :)

I'm not able to use the same setting as I'm upgrading from a round shape. That is so good to know about the blob prongs, though! My original ring from BN bothered me so much because of the prongs that I ended up getting it reset at a local jeweler.

May I ask what size ring you wear? That proportion is perfect!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh exciting! Can't wait to see it. The ring is a size 4 - it's about a quarter size loose as I don't like tight-fitting rings, so I'm probably a 3.75. I intended this to be a temporary setting but I like it so much I've no desire to reset, at least not for a while.

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
Ooh exciting! Can't wait to see it. The ring is a size 4 - it's about a quarter size loose as I don't like tight-fitting rings, so I'm probably a 3.75. I intended this to be a temporary setting but I like it so much I've no desire to reset, at least not for a while.

NICE! Same size :) it is beautiful on you and that setting compliments the stone perfectly. Thank you so much for sharing.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
OK here we are :cheeky:

I LOOOVE it but I probably still have no clue. It is visibly flashier and more lively than my old (shallower, larger tabled one). This one has 66.9% depth and 59% table, the centre is more active and there is much more of a hall of mirrors vibe going on. There seems to be less darkness (bear in mind my phone case is black and I've taken it in not brilliant single-source indoor lighting).

Thoughts..? @Karl_K @diamondseeker2006 @tyty333 @lovedogs @bright&shiny @Cerulean @Ibrakeforpossums @ksluice @everybodyelseIveforgottenwholovesemeraldcuts :lol:

It’s beautiful! The proportions are fantastic- it seems like you could go for a swim in there. Congratulations and wear it in good health!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
It’s beautiful! The proportions are fantastic- it seems like you could go for a swim in there. Congratulations and wear it in good health!

Thank you @bright&shiny !! Really appreciate your comments - yes, there is for sure something about the much greater depth that invites you in, so to speak :))

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring and congratulations! It looks big and beautiful on your hand. :)

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Omg I love it! My first thought was “I want to eat it” because it is so dang icy! I don’t usually like emerald cuts, but this one really makes me want it!!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow it’s stunning. Not a cut expert at all but it looks pretty killer to me!

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
ACK!!!! It is so GORGEOUS!!! Is it just the vid or do you really have the dusting of little virtual facets that rain down, because if you see that IRL its like diamond pixie dust to me. I noticed that on a diamond vid on IG and I wondered if I’d seen modern stones that do it, but there it is in yours !! :kiss2:o_O:kiss2:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring and congratulations! It looks big and beautiful on your hand. :)

Thank you so much! :)

Omg I love it! My first thought was “I want to eat it” because it is so dang icy! I don’t usually like emerald cuts, but this one really makes me want it!!!

Haha yes it does look pretty delicious! My cat has already had a crack at it :lickout:

Oh wow it’s stunning. Not a cut expert at all but it looks pretty killer to me!

Thank you Cerulean! :)

Thank you ibrakeforpossums! Thank you also for your help in choosing along the way! Your thoughts about facet play in the centre of the stone were spot on.
ACK!!!! It is so GORGEOUS!!! Is it just the vid or do you really have the dusting of little virtual facets that rain down, because if you see that IRL its like diamond pixie dust to me. I noticed that on a diamond vid on IG and I wondered if I’d seen modern stones that do it, but there it is in yours !! :kiss2:o_O:kiss2:

Thank you ksluice! Yes, absolutely I see those little twinkly flashes raining down in real life - I wasn't sure what they were - virtual facets you say? I never saw them in my previous stone. Pixie dust is a great way to describe it! There is just an amazing depth and sparkliness. Thank you for your help choosing too :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results