shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Three Stone Ring - wax model and final touches

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone for the input on my previous thread. Today I went in and viewed the wax model of the ring. It came out much better than I thought from the CAD images. I am going to have the inside rounded out more for an extra-comfort comfort fit. I am still able to make other changes - any suggestions? Also I'm still yet to decide about 18k nickel-free white gold or platinum. The recent threads about platinum disappointment are giving me concern.

For diamond specs etc please see previous post https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/options-for-3-stone-emerald-cut-rhr-2ctw.164736/.

Finger size 5.25. This is a right hand ring.

3stnwx4.jpg

3stnwx3.jpg

3stnwx2.jpg

3stnwx1.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Emerald Cut Three Stone Ring - wax model and final touch

Looks great!

As for the metal--do you own white gold currently? or no? I'd get platinum, in part because I have no real choice. I cannot wear gold at all, even without nickel in it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

it looks nice! but the important thing is...do you like it?

do you have other white gold or platinum rings? I would go with platinum because that is what I have and I like it. Also, with the design of your ring, you will not see that much metal from the top view.

I saw the other thread(s) about platinum and will post some pictures of my ring once I get my Jewel Jet and I can clean it :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

They look nice. I would get platinum, but I don't have any issues with my platinum. I just get it polished when it needs it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

The shank does not have that amazing rounded fullness of the examples you posted in the other thread. I am not sure that is something that should be evident now at the casting stage or if they will shape it after, but I would want to see that roundness in the wax personally to make sure it is the way I want. Otherwise it looks dope!

I would do platinum, just polish it when it gets dingy.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Have you though of using palladium?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

It looks divine! Can't wait to see your hand shots!

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1315021517|3008837 said:
The shank does not have that amazing rounded fullness of the examples you posted in the other thread. I am not sure that is something that should be evident now at the casting stage or if they will shape it after, but I would want to see that roundness in the wax personally to make sure it is the way I want. Otherwise it looks dope!

I would do platinum, just polish it when it gets dingy.

Thanks for the feedback. I am a little concerned about ring being less rounded/full than the one it was based on. I'm considering driving out to the mall again to see whether it's still there and if so, examine it again for comparison. If I were to ask for the ring to be heavier/thicker/fuller do you know how I should explain it to the jeweler?

It's pretty hard to tell in non-reflective plastic too, but I have a feeling it's not quite right yet. The bottom of the ring opposite the stones seemed thin to as well.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

lknvrb4|1315048844|3008934 said:
Have you though of using palladium?

I think my preferences would put palladium last to be honest. I'm buying this as my first ever fine jewelry purchase and I feel the precious metal is a big part of what will make me treasure the ring (hopefully).

I love the beauty and material properties of gold best but yellow gold is hard to wear. White gold would be an easy choice if it wasn't an alloy and there were no issues with plating and potential allergies. My boyfriend loves platinum even though he's never owned any or examined it in detail - he's encouraging me to choose platinum.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

ame|1314990436|3008491 said:
Looks great!

As for the metal--do you own white gold currently? or no? I'd get platinum, in part because I have no real choice. I cannot wear gold at all, even without nickel in it.

This will be my first piece of fine jewelry. I wore some pieces belonging to a relative but they're all from Australia which doesn't use nickel alloy in gold. The items were all rhodium plated white gold but I only wore them for one weekend at a family reunion.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

extra

3stnwx5.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Did you end up going to the jeweler to recheck the wax model?

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi Centralsquare, thanks for taking an interest in my little project. I've only seen the wax model once when I took all the photos. The jeweler actually made it a little prematurely and apologised. I can still make the changes needed, and I will ask for more time to finalise my decision.

Thinking about it now my main concerns are:
- the ring is too flat on the inside (non-stone) side
- overall the ring isn't as round and full as the sample
- the comfort fit isn't comfortable enough - has to be rounder inside as the ring is wider than most

...and I think I've ruled out white gold. I'm not considering platinum or at a pinch, 18ct white gold prongs with a yellow gold band

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

quaddio|1315154625|3009628 said:
Hi Centralsquare, thanks for taking an interest in my little project. I've only seen the wax model once when I took all the photos. The jeweler actually made it a little prematurely and apologised. I can still make the changes needed, and I will ask for more time to finalise my decision.

Thinking about it now my main concerns are:
- the ring is too flat on the inside (non-stone) side
- overall the ring isn't as round and full as the sample
- the comfort fit isn't comfortable enough - has to be rounder inside as the ring is wider than most

...and I think I've ruled out white gold. I'm not considering platinum or at a pinch, 18ct white gold prongs with a yellow gold band

Those changes make sense...glad the jeweler is working with you. I'm looking for a give stone emerald cut ring, so I'm very interested in your project!!! Can't wait to see it final!

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm pleased with my jeweler and feel the B&M approach was the right one for me. I'm lucky to live in a big city with seemingly unlimited choices where I could also buy on price/value. It's important to me to feel I'm not overpaying or I know I wouldn't enjoy the item as much.

I assume you are looking for a five-stone emerald cut ring - gorgeous! I was inspired by my sister in law's five stone ring with three emerald cuts and two round brilliant. It is still one of the most beautiful rings I've seen and she loves it! https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/under-1ct-diamonds-t25028-1560.html

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

That is a beautiful ring...gives me some ideas :Up_to_something:

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

After some time to think I'm still yet to finalize my ring design and metal. The design will be changed and I'm so grateful for the feedback especially Dreamer D - the description you gave me helped articulate what I wanted better than I ever could have! I will have a (final???) CAD during the week. The sample pictured in 14k yellow gold weighs approx 7.5 grams in size 7.

The metal weight may change slightly (heavier) but here are the options on the table at the moment - approximate ring weight for my size 5 finger.
18k nickel free white gold: 6 grams
Platinum: 9 grams

This information is making me lean towards platinum but I'm still open minded. Thanks for your feedback and help so far!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Platinum and white gold have different looks.. Which do you prefer visually?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Going nickel free should help you not need plating, but resizing opens doors for a jeweler not using a nickel-free solder to really introduce issues into the ring. At least with platinum, they SHOULD be laser welding any sizing changes.

THe colors will be different, and upkeep will be also--when you polish gold you remove the top scratched layer of gold. With platinum, it pushes it back. So over time, you will lose metal--GOLD!--with maintenance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results