shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Engagement Ring Reset

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love all of the eye candy in this thread! Have you come closer to a decision on your reset yet, Mikla?

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input, Tecate, artdecolover71, Gypsy and TC1987. Mom2boys, I am leaning towards a simple 3 stone setting, so I will have a lot of freedom when matching up bands with it for variety. Something like Widget's ring, posted below (I hope she doesn't mind!). I absolutely adore the proportions of the stones to each other, the double claws, and the simplicity of the mounting of this ring!!!

ec_391_sides_117_widget.jpg

ec_391_widget_angle.jpg

ec_391_widget_side_stone.jpg

ec_391_widget_side.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So will you need to get new side stones or just replace the whole setting? I do think simplicity is a good call on this one!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
omg I love that top one with the multiple baguettes set in milgraine....yum

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
And now for something completely different . . . settings with tapered and/or channel-set side stones!

ec_cartier_1443_bags_120.jpg

round_114_tapered_traps.jpg

asscher_305_fc_band.jpg

ec_439_cartier_french_cuts.jpg

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
More

ec_150_baguettes.jpg

ec_1009_repossi.jpg

ec_tapered_traps.jpg

leon_calibrated_traps.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I'm wondering if you should buy a few costume pieces to try out before you make your decision?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1403455457|3698630 said:
I'm wondering if you should buy a few costume pieces to try out before you make your decision?

Hi Mikla, I can understand you having a hard decision to make with all the beautiful options to choose from. I like the suggestion above for the simple reason that what you love, you may not love on your finger everyday. I found this out the hard way. I love halo's and pave shank rings on everyone but not everyday on me. You are used to wearing a very simple classic setting as I was. I could not get used to all the bling all the time, if that makes sense. I also did not find the pave on the shank comfortable. I wear my cushion cut halo, pave shank ring about once a week and love it. Just not everyday. Just something to think about. If you wear the costume piece first you will know for sure. I would never imagine I would have felt the way I did before making the purchase.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Calliecake and artdecolover71, thank you for your suggestions. To explain a little further, the other options I've been exploring are part of the creative process that I have to go through in order to make a final decision. I think the real choice is between the three stone rings, either the all emerald cut diamond ring, or the emerald cut diamond with some other step-cut side diamonds design. There was nothing wrong with the original ring except it had a crack in the mounting and I wanted some variety once in a while. That's the problem with PS - there are so many beautiful rings you see and admire and sometimes covet that you wonder if you need a change too! :lickout:

I recently purchased a +- 2mm baguette band that I have been wearing with two other rings I own (a 4.13ct emerald diamond ring with baguettes and a 2.25ct cuprian tourmaline with asscher sides) . I have fallen in love with it! I'm getting another one in a few days to flank it. Assuming I will like the two flanking bands at least as well as the one, to me it makes sense to simplify the engagement ring itself so that changing out the band or bands can be the variety that I have been craving. And I've proven myself to be a three-stone ring addict!

Thoughts?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Mikla|1403459914|3698660 said:
Calliecake and artdecolover71, thank you for your suggestions. To explain a little further, the other options I've been exploring are part of the creative process that I have to go through in order to make a final decision. I think the real choice is between the three stone rings, either the all emerald cut diamond ring, or the emerald cut diamond with some other step-cut side diamonds design. There was nothing wrong with the original ring except it had a crack in the mounting and I wanted some variety once in a while. That's the problem with PS - there are so many beautiful rings you see and admire and sometimes covet that you wonder if you need a change too! :lickout:

I recently purchased a +- 2mm baguette band that I have been wearing with two other rings I own (a 4.13ct emerald diamond ring with baguettes and a 2.25ct cuprian tourmaline with asscher sides) . I have fallen in love with it! I'm getting another one in a few days to flank it. Assuming I will like the two flanking bands at least as well as the one, to me it makes sense to simplify the engagement ring itself so that changing out the band or bands can be the variety that I have been craving. And I've proven myself to be a three-stone ring addict!

Thoughts?

Any chance I could see a photo of your baguette band alongside one of your emerald cut rings?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you should just do your EC as a solitaire then? So you can use all your diff bands?

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Really quickie shots without cleaning the rings first, so you can get an idea of how the band looks. I'm a couple weeks late on my manicure as well. How embarrassing! :-o

2014-06-22_14.jpg

2014-06-22_0.jpg

2014-06-22_1.jpg

2014-06-22_2.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
LOL- You look great!

Thank you- that's helpful. I am looking at purchasing a 2mm Tiffany band and wanted to see the scale of your band next to a ring. That helped a lot!

BTW-- great pieces!!!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You're welcome. It's Circe's former size 6.5 baguette band, which she listed as exactly 2.05mm wide. I thought you might be getting a matching Cartier band for your new (and massive) gorgeous ring. Is the 2mm Tiffany band for the Cartier ring or another piece?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
LOL. I did look for a matching Cartier band but they don't do baguette bands anymore. The client services group will make you a unique design if you spend over a very high threshold. I have a 3mm east west baguette band but its too think for both my 5ct antique cushion and the new ring. I like small and dainty for these pieces so the band doesn't take anything away from the star attraction. I went ahead and ordered a Tiffany 1.7mm platinum band to wear in the interim but I am hoping to get the Tiffany 2mm baguette band...The seller really jacked up the price to over its original retail.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your band is beautiful! You can't really can't go wrong with either style. Just take your time and don't do anything until you know for sure what you want. As Diamondseeker says "When in doubt... Don't". Nothing is worse than not being happy with your decision.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just thinking, I have 14 approximately 3mmx3mm F/G/H french cut stones that I can use for a channel band with a colored EC or asscher in the future, so I won't do that with the engagement ring rebuild. I had been saving them to make a band but I need another 6 or so to make it into an eternity in my size. So knock one style off the list for this ring.

If I'm honest with myself, I would like for the center to look larger than it is. I'm thinking that smaller traps will give that illusion. The left over smaller emerald cuts will make fantastic earrings or stunning side stones for another ring. There, all tied up in a bow!

What do you guys think of flared raised shoulders with the traps? I'd like to do the Steven Kirsch ring with the raised shoulders instead.

asscher_classic_traps.jpg

cushion_681_flared_shoulders.jpg

_19445.jpg

steven_kirsch_1.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Those are all gorgeous!!
I personally don't think traps make an EC look larger though, now I see why you mentioned halo
A few days ago. Halo definitely can make a ring look much larger.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Guess what? There has actually been some progress as the stones are now with Steven Kirsch. =)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news!
I like the flared shoulders.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Steven's first comments to me were that the set of diamonds was really well matched. Kudos to my hubby for that as he chose them all without any input from me! Steven also indicated that it is more difficult to get three matched ECs these days (not sure of the reason though). He's sending me some shots of three-stone rings with all ECs tomorrow to compare against the traps side stone design to help me with my decision. Can I say that I am so excited??!! ;))

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! Can't wait to see the finished ring!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I found a ring design that I really like. It combines the three original stones but adds small tapered baguettes to make a five stone ring. In my mind it combines the nice ratio of the original diamonds with a bit of taper which, in a small way, mimics the trap side stones design. I've been stuck between those two settings forever, but I think this incorporates the two styles elegantly. What do you guys think?

ec_512_tapered_bags.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks, RandG! The style also incorporates the raised flared shoulders which I like. I'm really starting to warm up to it. =)

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A DECISION HAS BEEN MADE!

Steven Kirsch is building a three-stone EC split shank ring with my existing stones, with a matching band. I am so excited! :loopy:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so look forward to seeing your new ring.. i'm sure it will rock the house!

A DECISION HAS BEEN MADE!

Steven Kirsch is building a three-stone EC split shank ring with my existing stones, with a matching band. I am so excited! :loopy:

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It should be a cross between the three-stone ring and the split shank with matching band, shown below. ;))

screen_shot_2014-06-24_at_3.png

steven_kirsch_matching_0.jpg

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm picking up my ring and band from Steven Kirsch this Thursday in NYC. I haven't received any photos at all of the work in progress (although he has some for me) yet so it will be a total surprise. SO EXCITING! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results