shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Engagement Ring Reset

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
So many beautiful choices posted in this thread! I love the side traps or Cadi's but wouldn't do any pave on the shank personally.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So with melee in the split shank and the wedding band, should I be concerned that there is too much melee when I really want the focus on the center stone? I'm starting to second-guess myself. :roll:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's going to be gorgeous as long as the proportions are good and from what you've posted in terms of inspiration photos, I think it will be perfect!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm rethinking all the melee in the ring shank and the band. They are going to be worn daily, increasing the chance of losing stones. For a safer setting, what do you guys think of one of the two rings below paired one of the two bands?

steven_kirsch_0.jpg

ec_three-stone_leon.jpg

french_cut_band_ss.png

engraved_band_canera.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first Steven Kirsch ring (one with the champagne color stone) with traps and the first band (diamond)!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Mikla|1398047054|3656859 said:
heididdl, please post a link or picture of your ring!

Gypsy and yennyfire, my husband is thrilled to hear that you think his choices work so well! They do, don't they? I have just been so torn between the original side stones and the traps! The problem is that I like them both and maybe I am just looking for a change? I don't know. :shock:

_17954.jpg

_17955.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both of the ones you posted on this page are lovely. Do you want traps or do you want your existing sidestones?

As for the bands? I adore the diamond band. But if you like pave, why not get a pave band?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like your three together...but I also salivate when I see an EC w/trap sides. Would it be too much to add trap sides to your three?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mikla! I'm a newbie, but just had to say that the SK setting with traps on this page is so, so very pretty and it seems like such a good choice if you are worried about durability! I can't wait to see what you decide on!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1399751222|3669902 said:

Gypsy and yennyfire, my husband is thrilled to hear that you think his choices work so well! They do, don't they? I have just been so torn between the original side stones and the traps! The problem is that I like them both and maybe I am just looking for a change? I don't know. :shock:

Holy smokes Heididdl! That is some ring! Your EC is to die for! Is there a thread on Pricescope about it?

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I fear I may be a lost cause! As it is, my stones are sitting in a vault in NYC with no decision on a setting in sight. I just cannot settle on anything. I should have just left things the way they were, gotten the original mounting repaired and moved on. :((

MissGotRocks, what do you think about the fact that the diamond band is channel set but the three stone SK ring doesn't have anything set in a channel to match? I suffer with matchy-match syndrome. :loopy: I wish I was more like you guys in that you know how to mix and match different designs yet it all seems to come together beautifully! You'll notice I did try to select two bands that were not matches this time.

Gypsy, you hit the nail on the head! I don't know which I like better, the original stones or the traps. They are different looks to me, wish I could have one of each!! :naughty: The reason I am shying away from pave is that I have been without my ring since January. If I get pave and then have to send it off to be repaired at some point, I could not handle the waiting again.

Packrat, it would seem like traps in addition to my stones would be too much but then again I have a hard time envisioning it. You wouldn't happen to have a couple of pics of a setting like this, would you?

Thank you, OECsareforLovers, and everyone else, for your kind comments and suggestions!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 1/2 eternity scott kay pave band. Let me tell you, I wear that thing 24/7 and have for over 5 years. Never had a problem at all.

If you get really good pave, since wedding bands are SO low profile, and get it 1/2 eternity or 3/4 eternity you'll be fine.

And needless to say, I recommend Scott Kay.

Oh, and my own band is pre-owned. So who knows how long it was worn before I got it. This thing is like a timex. Take a lickin' and keep on ticking.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
have you gone and tried on some of the different styles? Maybe since you are close to NYC, you can visit for some ideas? I never thought I would like an EC with trap sides but then trying IRL I realized I loved. I had a three stone ring of EC with halos before changing to my new one. It is such a hard decision, so I totally understand! I think waiting rather than jumping into it quickly is very wise!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know how good these pictures are. When I look at the three stone EC Leon up above, I can picture it w/traps at the end of the side ec's, proportionally smaller, like the ec sides are smaller than the center.

wedding-accessories.jpg

emerald-cut-ring-1-1024x1024.jpg

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, I'm a newb and settings and design are not my forte, so out of my ignorance I'd like just throw out an idea: How about a simple solitaire for your center EC, then make a band wrap for the solitaire with the side EC you have reminiscent of your original ring design. And make have another band wrap made with traps with a split shank and maybe some pave diamonds? This way, you could have different looks for your gorgeous center stone. If they are custom made all together, they would surely fit and look cohesive.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I think that if you really wanted your old setting again you would have already done it. I think you want something a little different since you've had this setting for 10 years already. Nothing wrong with a little change. :). I vote for traps on the side, really tucked under so your huge center stone really shines, whoever does it. I love the baguette and with it, with it NOT flush against true ering. A little separation would be beautiful. Your stones are stunning. How about getting inspired by that beautiful pair of EC earrings that was jewelry of the week and making a matching pair of dangly halo EC earrings? Just an idea...

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've taken some inspiration from the Jewel of the Week, packrat and other kind posters and am considering the five-stone idea. Here are some of my favorites (I hope everyone is okay with me reposting their rings)!

ec_sapphire_ring_cokitty.jpg

ec_3_stone_ericad.jpg

ec_3_stone_25plus.jpg

ec_5_stone.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The SK ring with the traps is TO. DIE. FOR. The proportions are perfect -- it's a stunner! As far as pairing a band with it, why don't you do a simple pave band? :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mikla|1398022284|3656683 said:
Center Stone:
8.73 x 6.76 E/VS1

Side Stones:
5.86 x 4.47 F/VS1
5.61 x 4.46 F/VS2

I'm leaning towards traps for sides with a smaller proportion to the center than the original emerald side stones are. If I do that, then do I save the ECs for another ring or make dangly earrings out of them? Or should I pick a mounting that preserves the original three stones that my husband picked out for me? I wouldn't have picked out those stones because of their depth but he chose them and made the original ring as a surprise and that makes the diamonds very special to me. I could always make a second engagement ring with new stones that I pick and keep the original style for these stones. That might be considered wasteful though. Acckk! I don't know what to do! I need help from the experts on this forum!!!

Mikla

Mikla, I don't think you could ever go wrong with this project -- regardless of which setting you choose! :bigsmile: I would go with the traps and get SK to make a ring like the one you posted. Then I would either use the original EC side stones solitaire earrings with double claw prongs... or (since I'm ring-obsessed)I'd use them as side stones on an amazing colored stone RHR since they're so well matched. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I'm so envious!! All of these step cuts are making me want one soooo bad! Can't wait to hear what you decide and see the finished product!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something similar to these...

imageuploadedbytapatalk1400965251.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1400965673.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1400965921.jpg

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Mikla|1400269188|3674351 said:
heididdl|1399751222|3669902 said:

Holy smokes Heididdl! That is some ring! Your EC is to die for! Is there a thread on Pricescope about it?
thank you I am a very lucky girl and no price scope thread on her... But I did just recently had the stone recertied..

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am now considering a halo for the center diamond. What do you think?

ec_fancy_yellow_halo.jpg

ec_pink_halo.jpg

ec_280_e_halo_junestars.jpg

ec_uv_385_pink_halo.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I'm trying to decide on an emerald cut ring too. Do you mind if I ask you, what are the proportions of your stone? I want to do a three stone, and want the center to have some scale. How did you feel about your original ring? Did it sit low, or high on your finger and was It comfortable? Did GIA grade the stone emerald cut, or square emerald cut?

I think your insight can help me-- thanks in advance!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of halos so take me with a pound of salt! I think your stone is much more beautiful without a halo.. a halo is nice but distracting at times.. I like the main stone with trillions.. that's is me.. I'm old :) your stone, ring etc are to die for and if you put a halo on it, I would be dollars to donuts it will look AWESOME.. I'm just a modern girl in an old body.. I love emerald cut diamonds.. I love the lines on them.. the step.. maybe someday :) I look forward to seeing what you finally do.!!!!

:wavey:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I recently sold my emerald cut three stone with halo. Halos are very pretty but around here- there were so many so I like to be different and decided to sell it, it just depends the look you want. If you love halos, then I think it's a good option.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the three stone look, especially for a chubby EC like yours. For some reason, I really only like halos on EC's with greater length to width ratios.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
RandG|1402852025|3693675 said:
I'm trying to decide on an emerald cut ring too. Do you mind if I ask you, what are the proportions of your stone? I want to do a three stone, and want the center to have some scale. How did you feel about your original ring? Did it sit low, or high on your finger and was It comfortable? Did GIA grade the stone emerald cut, or square emerald cut?

I think your insight can help me-- thanks in advance!

Hi RandG!

All of the stones are emerald cuts with 1.3 ratios and have the following proportions:

Center Stone:
2.55ct 8.73 x 6.76 E/VS1

Side Stones:
0.72ct 5.86 x 4.47 F/VS1
0.70ct 5.61 x 4.46 F/VS2

My original ring was built like a truck. It was very secure yet comfortable and low to my finger. I'm looking for something a little more elegant this time around. I'm really struggling with it though. I can't decide whether I want bold, delicate, art deco, halo, traditional, or something else.

Do you have your stones yet? What are your plans?

Mikla

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results