shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emerald cut dilemma - Opinions needed

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by kmglcg, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmglcg
    Shiny_Rock

by kmglcg » Nov 5, 2006
    Here is my dilemma: [​IMG] I just can''t afford what I want! I want a 3 ct. stone. But to get the color and clarity in an emerald cut is just going to cost too much. I have long fingers and coverage is very important to me because I also have a size 7 finger. Soooo, if you really, really, really wanted a new diamond ring and had $25M to spend, what kind of stone would you get and why - Pear, Oval, Cushion or Radiant? These are the only other stones I like. Your honest input and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondseeker2006 » Nov 5, 2006
    This is a hard one, but my true favorite of all those is a cushion, but I know it isn''t the one that appears the largest. I wouldn''t mind having a radiant in an octagonal halo either.[​IMG] Or an oval like Kaleigh''s set by Leon. [​IMG]Or an emerald cut like Fran Fine''s or Diamond Fan''s with side baguettes.[​IMG] Wait, or an asscher set by Leon like Widget''s.[​IMG]

Hmmm, I have a long wish list![​IMG]

3. diamondfan
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by diamondfan » Nov 5, 2006
    I have an emerald cut and I love them too. I also like the other shapes you mentioned and I would only be concerned with bow ties in the oval, but I do love them too. You might just have to be very diligent, but I agree, an emerald cut, without faceting you really need it to be clean and clear, and you might be better off with another shape...Good luck and keep us posted!

4. Tacori E-ring
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Tacori E-ring » Nov 5, 2006
    A pear will look the largest for the weight. Can you get a smaller EC and upgrade in a few years?

5. decodelighted
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by decodelighted » Nov 5, 2006
    Weeeellllll.....first of all, I''d chose a vendor that had a good trade up policy & make sure to choose a stone that is trade-in-able (since some vendors don''t allow all shapes ... GOG for example). Sounds like you''re not going to be *really* satisfied until you get that 3ct EC so you might as well leave the door open! [​IMG]

As to cuts that look big ... Ovals & Pears are the biggest bangs for the buck visually out of your choices ... though a rectangular radiant might work (though those will also emphasize color).

A cushion in a halo would give you lots of finger coverage ... but that is such a different look than a 3ct Emerald. Actually all of your choices are. Why not get a 2ct emerald in a halo ... Maytal Hoffman does a gorgeous one for EC''s! Her own e-ring is a 2ct ish EC in a split shank halo. YUM! [​IMG]

6. decodelighted
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Hmmm... what about this? From Singlestone (vintage jewelry dealer) ... 2.37 E color Vs2. [​IMG]

Don''t know the exact price ... but from previous quotes from them I''d guess it''s in the ballpark pricewise.

singlestone237evs.jpg

7. Tacori E-ring
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Deco that is a beautiful setting!

8. widget
    Ideal_Rock

by widget » Nov 5, 2006
    Wow...nice find, Deco![​IMG]

Lulu: Have you actually seen a warmer colored EC? They might be much lovelier than you think. Fran Fine waxed so eloquent about her J-colored EC in this thread that I started thinking I might need to trade in mine for one with more color! LOL

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/hangout/no-she-did-not-use-that-on-her-ring-t52834-60.html

If I were you, I'd stick to my first wish for an EC, and lower my color requirements if need be. After that, I'd get an oval.

widget

9. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

This site is killing me today. Stop showing me things I just reaaaallllly love!

10. decodelighted
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Here is a 2.71 GIA cert G color Vs1 EC with the dimensions 9.83x6.45x4.73 for approx $25K ...

11. Tacori E-ring
    Super_Ideal_Rock

My EC is an "I". I am not sure if you are willing to go that warm but I think it is beautiful (I am bias though)

12. diamondseeker2006
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Yep, Tacori E-ring''s beautiful EC is an I color, and it is gorgeous, too! I''d take one any day!

13. jayrenay9
    Brilliant_Rock

by jayrenay9 » Nov 5, 2006
    Pears are my first love, my 1ct. halo RHR looks so much larger than my 1.74ct RB solitaire! Oval would be my second choice for finger coverage. I also love cushions and was going to buy one, but they looked so much smaller than their carat weight. I like radiants, but prefer them in yellow. Are you interested in colored diamonds?

What color and clarity are you looking for?

14. Tacori E-ring
    Super_Ideal_Rock

Ah, thanks J! We must have been posting at the same time.

I agree though, if you love ECs an EC is what you should get!

15. kmglcg
    Shiny_Rock

by kmglcg » Nov 5, 2006
    Wow! Thanks everybody for such quick responses.

Yes, I have considered starting with a smaller stone and trading up as time and money allows. I know WF has a great trade up policy that would allow me to do just that...with an emerald cut or whatever else I might choose (as long as it is GIA certed). I am going to try to "keep my options open", however, to try to find a great diamond at a great price. That is a beautiful ring you found Decodelighted! Thanks for scoping that one. I''m going to swing over to that site and check it out. You are right, I probably won''t be 100% satisfied until I get what I really want.

16. kmglcg
    Shiny_Rock

by kmglcg » Nov 5, 2006
    How on Earth did I miss THAT? What a gorgeous ring...and its a J, a J, a JJJJJ! AND its a LEON! I have renewed hope. Oh...my...oh...my. Thanks, Widget! Thanks to everyone! [​IMG]

17. jayrenay9
    Brilliant_Rock

18. kmglcg
    Shiny_Rock

by kmglcg » Nov 5, 2006
    Thanks for researching those stones JayRenay9. I have been looking at minimum clarity of VS2 and color ranges from G to J. Most of the posts I read about lower color step cuts say they will look too yellow, and that because of the steps they really show the inclusions. I have seen an I in a store in their lighting conditions. It looked good, but it also was a smaller stone. I have to say Fran Fine''s J is beautiful. I know in the end, it will have to be my own two eyes that make the final call. I just don''t want to make a mistake or end up feeling not so in love with my stone after I let go of all those $$$, you know.

19. Stone Hunter
    Ideal_Rock

by Stone Hunter » Nov 5, 2006
    Take your time. But if you LOVE the EC stick with it.

Ovals cover alot of finger. And ones without bowties can be found.

20. f0rbidden
    Shiny_Rock

by f0rbidden » Nov 6, 2006
    i agree with Stone Hunter
    EC''s are my passion as well, and my ring size is a 7, too.

i''ve no doubt you can find something you love in your price range!

if you look for one with a lower depth %, you''ll get a larger looking stone for your $$

my personal opinion, i wouldn''t go below an F on an EC, but i am REALLY colour sensitive and i don''t like ''warmth'' but, again, that is a strictly personal opinion.

21. gail013
    Shiny_Rock

by gail013 » Nov 6, 2006
    Hi Lulu-

I second the idea of getting in touch with Maytal, and having her do a beautiful halo around one of those shapes. I have talked to her a few times and emailed her many more. She is wonderful to work with. I can get you her email if you''d like it.

As far as shapes, I like the idea of the oval or the pear for the size option it offers and it is different than everything else out there. You could get a nice 2.2 or 2.5 carat stone and spend about 5 or 6k on the setting, and have your look.

There are 3 carat stones out there for your price, but you''ll most likely be looking at a J or K, SI 2, and excellent to very good cut. I know because I am looking at all of them too, but I am looking for a round. Have you considered a round? I just sent back one to WF that didin''t work for us, but may be perfect for others, and it was just over 20k! I mean that sincerely. Bob over there would know about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.