carat
color
clarity

Emerald cleaning question

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Girl.
You have to calm down.
I get it. You love your piece and the thought that something might've happened to it is excruciatingly stressful. But nothing's happened to it. It's okay.

Remember - an emerald can be cleaned from the oil that's inside of it very quickly by a jeweler and new oil can be applied just as quickly. You don't have to throw away the entire stone when the oil is done for, you just re-oil, and that is if you even want to.

Second, the oil is transparent. Any additional coloration added to an emerald is a BIG no-no and I don't imagine Tiffany would sell such a stone. If the oil is removed the only thing you'll see are more inclusions. That's it.

And yes, what you're seeing right now is a window. That part of the stone isn't devoid of colour. It's just that light is passing straight through it, as if through glass, instead of being returned back.

Now, for the sake of your blood pressure, breathe, put on your beautiful pendant and enjoy life as if nothing has happened. Because it hasn't.

Just read the article linked by @Autumn in New England and it says not to soak in soapy water! :(2

It does indeed, and that is a precaution. But I promise you that a one-time soak for 25 minutes in luke warm, soapy water has not damaged your stone or the filler. It's just something you don't want to become a habit, simply because it's unnecessary. From now on, a minute of gentle cleansing should do the trick. And as @Avondale said, you're free to just enjoy that beautiful pendant now! :mrgreen2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think you just havnt noticed the window before
and now on closer inspection you see it
which is quite normal for someone like me i can tell you
because its a pendent the window probably isnt even visiable when you are wearing it

CoolKat

Rough_Rock
When in doubt, since it's a Tiffany, you can always bring it to store & ask them to service or inspect it for damage. If you want more in depth inspection, perhaps you can even request a service from the headquarter (NY) & the store will arrange the shipment etc.

OR - if it's still in the return window, perhaps exchange it with another one? That sure will give you peace of mind.

Beautiful necklace btw! :kiss2:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
When in doubt, since it's a Tiffany, you can always bring it to store & ask them to service or inspect it for damage. If you want more in depth inspection, perhaps you can even request a service from the headquarter (NY) & the store will arrange the shipment etc.

OR - if it's still in the return window, perhaps exchange it with another one? That sure will give you peace of mind.

Beautiful necklace btw! :kiss2:

Hi! I actually ordered another one and this is agony because that one has more complete brilliance pattern all the way around (not disrupted/imperfect) yet the chain is a little longer and I think that little bit makes this very small piece seem to be in no man’s land. Additionally, my husband noticed that the bezel is slightly wider (albeit subtly) and it makes the original one seem ever so slightly larger (and I like less bezel). Also, oddly enough, it seems that the original one, perhaps because slightly shorter, lays more flat against my chest… the 2nd one tilts ever so slightly. The original has more blue to it, although the other is also very pretty and perhaps a bit brighter overall; yet even with the imperfect pattern, the original seems to be more lively.
So the original has so many things in its favor over the 2nd… it’s just can I live with the imperfect pattern. The imperfect pattern seems to have chunkier flashes against more of a darker background which may explain why my husband felt it was more lively (the contrast). I think I would describe the 2nd as overall brighter (due to extremely minimal window) yet the original’s light return is more “glowy”.
So the 2nd has a full complete light return pattern in a very bright color, yet the original seems to have more movement and more contrast (but imperfect pattern).
Here is the 2nd one:
ACC11CF8-55C0-47A5-A1A9-7F7F5AE05AA7.jpeg ACC11CF8-55C0-47A5-A1A9-7F7F5AE05AA7.jpeg

You're going to kill me... based solely upon the photos you've posted of both emeralds... I like the 2nd better. BUT, the 1st may appear better in person. Your call! I'm a Gemini, so this issue is routine for me. lol

headlight

Ideal_Rock
So you can see pretty awesome. Yet in person the original has all the other attributes (narrower bezel, sits higher, sits flatter, appears larger, more lively).
Versus super bright with complete pattern yet in real life not as much movement and contrast.
I realize that even though I can take a photo of the 2nd displaying a full pattern, when I’m wearing either pendant it isn’t going to be staying static on my neck so perhaps not necessary to be concerned given I will have the lively movement??

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is such a nightmare for me! And to add to it all, I am getting the earrings and will see what they are holding for me in a couple weeks so I have no idea what will be a good match.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I will try to capture some side by sides today and post.
I will say that when wearing them both side by side it is so hard to see a difference. And if wearing individually and then going back and forth between the 2 to see which looks better you go blind because it isn’t a blatant “this was is definitively better”. Obviously if that were the case I wouldn’t be having this predicament. The full view of the pattern on the 2nd doesn’t appear that often in actual wearing. So the photo I posted is awesome of the 2nd but it doesn’t have the movement that the other does… it’s a bit static. I’ll see if I can capture video. Very hard to hold 2 and use camera! But I do need to make a decision. I am leaning toward the original for all the reasons stated… I need to go home and really focus on behavior when being worn.

CoolKat

Rough_Rock
Yup - it s/b based on which one is the most pleasing to YOUR eyes. Usually very hard to capture all the quirks/quality of a gem in pictures.

If it's a matter of lengthening/shorten the chain, any Tiffany store can do that service for you. Depending on your relationship with the store (or your SA) - usually for new purchases, they will even do it for free if you ask. If not, fee is probably around $200-$300 or so. Don't quote me, though.

Another tip: usually I'd ask for a "jump ring" to be added to a (longer than I'd like) necklace rather than literally shorten it - that way I have the options to wear it short(er) or long(er).

Oooooh since you're going to the store to pick up your matching earrings, maybe ask your SA to get you a couple of necklaces that you can view in store as well? That way you can see some options in person & make your decision then!

Either way, both necklaces are beautiful! Congrats on your sets!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
So I took more photos of them just laying there or hanging over a box, etc. with varying results. Same for trying to video that.
But I figured it really matters what it looks like on the neck. I took a bunch of photos and in only 1 instance did the 2nd one display the full circle of brilliance. In every other one it is irregular like the original necklace. Also, keep in mind this is really small! It is only .20ctw. so that detail you are seeing in an enlarged photo is impossible to be seen in real life.
What is interesting is that while the 2nd one looks nicer in a static enlarge photo showing almost what I would equate to a hearts and arrows pattern so to speak, on the neck in real life size it all just blends together and doesn't really do much whereas in the case of the original one its more "black" (larger window) and chunkier flashes (imperfect pattern) create a contrast and I guess that is where the perceived movement/liveliness is coming from. In the photos the original looks darker and the 2nd one looks lighter/brighter, yet in real life on the neck the 2nd one looks a bit dead and the original one's flashes seem to glow.
It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. So I think given all factors regarding width of bezel, appearance of being larger, sitting on neck better, and this other info I'm providing I guess between these 2 I should keep the original.
I am thinking about asking about bringing in another but I know that opens pandoras box as my husband reminded me... the next could create other conflicts. I think I should wait to see what the earring situation is and then go from there. I guess I will mention to hubby. He is so hating life right now hahaha.
As to shortening the chain, yes I know it is an option, incl jump ring (which this is too small a difference to do IMO), but I don't even want to start with trying to figure that out because I won't know if it was successful until after the damage would be done and then it just creates a cluster-f to remedy that. Plus everything takes 3 weeks with them.
It is actually funny because when I got home with the original, I was thinking it "felt" different that other T & Co pendants I have. So I laid them all out and measured and compared in various ways and they were all a bit different in length. I asked my SA if they are all a little different, not exact 16", and the SA was very emphatic that they are "very precise" and all chains are the same. I didn't respond but it is just interesting.
I am trying to post photos from my computer but it doesn't work so I will have to try to do it from the phone.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
09085394-2F63-43CF-85CF-B0C8972ADB9D.jpeg EA90277F-F87B-49D0-996D-D053F3062ECF.jpeg
Here are some comparison images. In the first picture the original is on top. I don’t think it looks less good as compared to the 2nd one. In actual wearing of the pieces, their face up appearance is constantly changing.
In the second photo, the original is on the right. Here, again, is the color I like (more blue). More importantly, I think this image demonstrates what I was trying to say about the 2nd one looking so amazing in the close up still photo yet in real life wearing and size it all morphs together. Yet here you can see how the original one that didn’t photograph still as well shows in real life distinction between flashes and the color that, to me, seems to “glow”.
Again, keep in mind these photos are so blown up.
What do you guys think? Do you agree that the 2nd one isn’t the “performer” it’s still photo would lead you to believe it would be?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I keep going back and forth but I think basically you are correct in that I’ve made my decision. The thing is that while you can’t see it in the photo, the original seems looks a little larger in person. Also the original has less bezel (or more rounded??), again not visible in the photos for whatever reason. Also the original sits better against the chest and the length is better (altho the length part I don’t think would come into play if these other items were not present.
I vacillate on the color… I was so in love with the color of the original but when I saw the 2nd I wondered is #2 more ideal??? And when I’m not seeing light return color in the original, am I just seeing the dark from the window, or is that a background color. (Whereas the 2nd one is very green in both background and light return.) But does it not possess the ideal of an emerald in perhaps being too light?? But at the end of the day I think the 2nd one looks smaller and the bezel competes with the tiny stone (although it is surely a beautifully finished look).
Obviously I thought it was so pretty before I mistook the window I obviously didn’t notice for cleaning damage (of which I now see/understand is not the case).
This is so funny yet so typical haha but my husband says ultimately they really both look very similar. Although he is the one that pointed out immediately that the original looks larger and the issue about the wider bezel on #2. He also said he thinks the original is livelier in spite of more darkness (window). I saw what he was saying strongly in direct lighting on Thursday morning but have since spent so much time in front of mirrors comparing that my eyes don’t know what they are seeing at this point! I have to say I’m so impressed with the hubby because he normally is not detail oriented and honestly couldn’t care, just wants me to be happy. But then my younger (adult) son came over and he asked what I was doing and I said I’m trying to choose between these 2 pendants and he was like “I don’t get it… they look identical” lol! Later in the evening he was like “Seriously, tell me - what is the difference”! So does that mean I’m being too detailed, or is he just a guy that can’t see/understand concept of subtleties.
This takes me back a few years ago when I was trading in a dog of a large diamond for something of higher quality but less carat weight (3.29 to 2.01, EGL Israel to GIA 3X in E color)… the cut isn’t perfect (63% depth, optical symmetry not perfect) but I loved the color and the profile and 55 table so I did sacrifice a little on cut (albeit still GIA 3x) to get that E color which was a deal breaker for me. I get compliments all the time but I can see a little leakage in certain lighting but did get good score on HCA (Ex,Ex, Ex, Good). But I’m also comparing to my WF studs and BG ring & pendant (of which the difference isn’t that great). So my point here being for some reason am I once again ending up with something really nice but not ultimate???… the original stone having many attributes but with the larger window not being perfect and after loving the color do I now think too dark in comparison to #2.
And should I be equating this to my diamond trade downgraded size for nicer color and appearance but a little off on cut in this case by not going for smaller window in favor of its other attributes which clearly are important for me. But the downgraded size diamond is still 2.01 ct where here we are talking twenty pointer so clearly appearance of larger size is important to me an apparently I’m recognizing this may be a deal breaker.
I know I’m obsessing again (I’m sure all of you feel for my husband!) but this is $4300 and in my view/position this is a lot of money! It’s not like something for like $1800. So hopefully all of you that think I’m a nutcase lol will cut me some slack in regards to my meltdown on the potential cleaning damage issue as well as making this choice between these two stones. And my husband was correct in me bringing in the 2nd one in that it would open pandora’s box! (But maybe a another option would be the one??!!) - stop the insanity!
So I think at this point since the size and bezel and way it sits on my neck and length I need to pack up the 2nd and stop burning my eyes out, given in many lighting situations they look so close.
So that would take me to the next situation: matching to the earrings. I think if they aren’t a good match together (bezels, color, windows) I will say either bring in another pair of earrings or another pendant. I did think about asking to bring in another pendant before my appt but think I should just play it out when I’m in store.
Unfortunately I we worked on the pendant selection in the private room and I completely forgot to take it to the window, see it in the main room, etc. I had seen the earrings and the smaller pendant on a previous appt that both the sales associate and husband said too small for me. So we had them bring in the larger earrings and the larger pendant. It was determined that the smaller earrings were better in conjunction with the larger pendant. So the way to go would be either the larger earrings on their own or the large pendant with the smaller earrings. But so much was going on I didn’t take the larger pendant that I was just seeing for the first time outside of the private room. But honestly I don’t know if I would’ve felt any different about it at the time.
My husband wasn’t in favor of the larger earrings because they were $11,500! The large pendant plus earrings is $6711.75 together. Husband thought better value overall as well as thinking we could not spend the $11,500 on the larger earrings alone (I looooved!).
I did not go home that day with the smaller earrings because I was a little concerned they were still too small and it wasn’t worth spending the additional money ($2100) along with the cost of the large pendant $4300) but when I got home and paired the larger original pendant (the smaller was .07ct) with my WF diamond studs (90 pointer range each ear) the earrings overpowered the oendant. So I felt I did need the smaller earrings (.07 each earring) to pair with the original pendant, hence the reason for our next appt.
Another issue: I potentially massively f’d up because in my initial panic freakout before I got the feedback from all of you that I didn’t damage the stone and was just interpreting damage for the window I didn’t notice prior, I called my SA and said I thought I ruined the stone from accidentally soaking in room temp Dawn water solution (they did specifically tell me upon purchase Dawn is fine for cleaning) for approx 20/25 min or so and could they repair it (it would have to go to service center for evaluation $350 and if repair possible then would receive estimate which would likely be pricey) and if not possible I asked if I purchase a replacement would they extend to me a reduction in price (I didn’t expect knowing Tiffany but I figured no harm in asking of which Mgr said replacement would be full price). So point here being I opened the door to my SA and store Mgr knowing about this incident. After I learned from all of you nothing had happened, I did go back to SA to say that I consulted with many people and they said it was fine and it was me just jumping the gun and over reacting. So now I don’t know if they would accept it for an exchange or if they would say it has to go to service center for eval (3 weeks & don’t know if $350).
So that adds to the stress over this, a further complication! Hence, an additional reason for the obsessing on choice between these 2 in conjunction with price.
Obviously I’m so pissed with myself that I made that call but I thought honestly was the right thing to do.
Thanks for reading all this if you made it through this post. The input from all of you has been invaluable and you’ve helped me process through this of which I would never have been able to on my own and I’m so grateful for all of you.

Last edited:
I don't think you're going to have a problem matching the earrings... the important thing is they are a perfect match to one another, but they need only be a reasonable match to the pendant to coordinate. In making a decision on the pendant, again, it sounds like you really prefer the original, and I can see why. For me, the one with the best color is going to trump the other, unless there is a significant difference in the clarity, size, and cut. And it doesn't sound like there is... it seems negligible. I like that the original is bluer. :bigsmile:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I woke up again with the pit in my stomach but told hubby we can pack one up. The one option is maybe I should order 1 more so I can know I’ve made the best decision… even (& especially) if it means I still keep original. Only issue is we need to get the return credited first because we have the $4300 plus tax on the card for the original plus same for the 2nd so I need something credited as I can’t have a 3rd at that price point charged!!! Actually in thinking about this It won’t work… I will be away next week by the time the credit could come through and then we will be having our appt (it’s where our other part time home is and we will only be there for a week so I would have to reschedule for later in the month and I don’t think they will hold the earrings for that long plus they are holding something else - will get into that story later!
I appreciate about the earrings but now that I see some detailed differences I feel I could try to request things. However they are not super eager on trying for matches as I learned when I bought my tiff pearl earrings and pendant last year. I’ve def learned a lot about that company.
What are your thoughts on the topic of if I wanted to make an exchange on the pendant… do you think they would do it based on the mess I’ve created? Still in the 30 day return period.

I am not that familiar with Tiffany's policies or tolerance, as far as returns and exchanges are concerned. But it would seem reasonable to me that you should be allowed to choose from multiple options, whether that means they order more than one of a particular piece for you to look at in-store or whether it's done through exchanges. Because, as you are aware, no 2 CS are exactly the same. So I would definitely contact your SA and explain the situation. It sounds like you're a good customer, and you still have more projects with them on the horizon. Hopefully they are accommodating, as they should be. Good luck!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
thank you - the “ruined stone” debacle that I initially said it is my concern on rerun/exchange. But yes, we’ve only been in that area for 2 years and purchased the pearl set, and Elsa peretti hold open heart pendant, an atlas watch for my hubby, and they know I’m waiting on hubby to surprise me with the ladies diamond version, and now the emerald stuff.
What is CS???

thank you - the “ruined stone” debacle that I initially said it is my concern on rerun/exchange. But yes, we’ve only been in that area for 2 years and purchased the pearl set, and Elsa peretti hold open heart pendant, an atlas watch for my hubby, and they know I’m waiting on hubby to surprise me with the ladies diamond version, and now the emerald stuff.
What is CS???

CS is just short for "colored stone(s)." :)

P.S. I feel very confident that you did not do any damage to the original emerald while cleaning it, so I can comfortably suggest that a return/exchange should be acceptable.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
CS - got it! Thank you for all that input. I do feel confident now with everyone's help as well as seeing a 2nd one that there is no damage. Hubby just left with return of 2nd one back to Tiff. He wants to order another one and have it sent out right away. He said he doesn't care about the temp float on the credit cards. I said it is just another pandora's box, of which he agrees, so we'll see what happens. If he wants to do it on his own then he can do it. I am going to just figure the original is my pendant. After he left I held up the original and it looked pretty to me. I also mentioned about asking my SA to bring in another one for our upcoming appt. So we will discuss that further when he gets back.
SO... the other little side element to this is as so:
First off, my younger son's birthstone is emerald (in case I didn't mention all this prior). This was to be a replacement to emerald earrings hubby got in Hong Kong and gave me when younger son was born but I didn't like the setting and had them redone and the local jeweler did a horrible job. I ultimately sold them off with a group of things to a consignment guy. Hence was using profits from all that toward this.
Additionally, I had same situation with amethyst (birthstone of older son) pedant husband bought in Hong Kong when that son was born that I similarly did not care for mounting. Again, had same local jeweler reset at same time as the other item and also horrible job.
Now I'm not an amethyst fan (not into the color purple) but son born when he was so can't change that! HOWEVER, as you know, Tiff does same Elsa peretti pedant with an amethyst! So I thought what a great idea to get these sort of matching necklaces as commemorative for my (now adult) son's birthstones as replacement for the other "birth" jewelry.
Caveat is they set the amethyst in silver and I am also not a silver fan. But it is very inexpensive $425. Other issue: Their silver bezels are larger due to nature of mounting the stones in silver and it needing a more substantial bezel. So they are also bringing in the pedant for me to see at same appt. See, this is filled with so many layers! The amethyst is smaller... it is like .11ct if I recall correctly, don't want to look it up right now. It only comes in 1 size. So will be interesting if I even like the wider bezel and also how the silver will pair with my diamond studs set in white gold. While I am not an amethyst fan, Tiff's amethysts have a beautiful color. Not anticipating I will like it but worth seeing and if not can figure something out later. Also since price point so good even if I didn't love not horrible for the amount of times I would wear it.

I love the sentiment behind these birthstone purchases... and I bet they'd look lovely layered together, maybe with a removable extender to lengthen one just a touch so they nest. I do hope all goes well with them! Check back in and let us know about the amethyst/sterling version. :D

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your pendant is fine. The original is nicer. Keep it. Match the earrings to each other and not to a ring/pendant other. And… Stay out of Tiffany’s… you’ll go broke.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I love the sentiment behind these birthstone purchases... and I bet they'd look lovely layered together, maybe with a removable extender to lengthen one just a touch so they nest. I do hope all goes well with them! Check back in and let us know about the amethyst/sterling version. :D

Thx! I was thinking the same thing with the layer... SA said mgr didn't think they would pair well but we'll see. That's the least of the issue(s)! And I can keep working on a birthstone piece for the amethyst son.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Your pendant is fine. The original is nicer. Keep it. Match the earrings to each other and not to a ring/pendant other. And… Stay out of Tiffany’s… you’ll go broke.

Thanks so much for the reassurance. Funny, after hubby left to drop off return to Tiff (haha) I looked at the original and it was very pretty to me.

As for staying out of there haha, I am holding out for the matching watch to hubby's but beyond that I don't really see what else I would get, certainly not for awhile. I have 5 non-tiff tennis bracelets, 2 (well, actually 3 but don't really wear 1 of them) non-tiff diamond solitaire (or with halo) pendants, 2 (non-tiff) solitaire diamond rings, the tiff elsa peretti classic gold open heart pendant, the tiff pearl set mentioned above, the classic omega constellation watch with diamond face, and a lot of various misc stuff mostly from local jewelry store that never sees the light of day. Honestly can't think of anything else I want/need (but don't tell hubby... need to always keep the option open hahaha). So beyond Tiff frangrance which I LOVE and refills for my tiff purse pen haha, and taking hubby's tiff cuff links and elsa peretti thumbprint money clip (both of which are NEVER used) to be polished and the silver round balls bracelet mother in law gave me also never worn to be polished, not much need for tiff beyond all this hahahahaha much to hubby's great relief. (Plus I want to replace my living area wood floor hahahaha)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results