shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Band: Bad idea or Worst Idea

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I have been drooling over some of the gorgeous Emerald bands in this forum and throughout PS. They are gorgeous in their channel set glory and I would love to add that line of color to my collection. I currently have a sapphire band that I try and be careful with but I know it is much harder than those pretty green squares I long for.

Admittedly, while I am not hard on my jewelry I do seem to knock into things or bash my hand into things on the regular. So much so that DH said a real emerald band was one of my worst ideas. Ok. ok. Trying to think of alternatives and I noticed on etsy and ebay there are "treated" emerald eternity bands in the $200-$400 range. I searched PS for both vendors and only one comes up (lord of gem rings). The reviews are from awhile ago and perhaps quality isn't what it was. I'm not sure what they mean by enhanced or if the ring will look too vivid to be believable.

Here is the etsy link for Carat Design Gifts. They use the word treated, so possibly real stones?

There is also the simulated option, what exactly simulated means in this context I'm not sure-CZ?. Vendor from India possibly same vendor heartsandyou

I would love any input. Will a treated or enhanced band look convincing? Should I just save my money and get the cheapest option possible?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if i am helping you.... i also long for sapphire and emerald eternity bands...I am a little rough with my hands, too.

I follow columbian emeralds on instagram, and i would be looking at getting them to make one for me if i ever get the courage to make that step. they ship overseas so that helps me. With how lazy i ma in removing rings, and therefore when i am preparing meals and cleaning, the hands and therefore rings, get a thorough work out!!!!

So, i think getting the treated ones would be a great start.

sorry, i took you on a journey that distracted from yours..

But, i think you have to work within your limits on what is right for you. I am hoping others will chime in who may have used the above companies to guide you further.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I believe a lot of companies use lab emeralds for eternity bands. Nothing wrong with that, you still get emerald, and the clean lab stones are structurally, more sound anyway. But, we are only supposed to discuss natural stones in the CS forums, and you should use Fabulous Fashion Jewelry if you're interested in a lab stone eternity ring.

For what it's worth, I don't think the lower cost eternity ring vendors disclose whether their stones are natural or lab-made. I just suspect based on their prices. The only emeralds I've bought were from trusted vendors such as Cecile Raley Designs on Etsy, and Enhoerning Jewelry on Etsy, and oil-only or untreated emeralds are significantly more pricey (my single 3mm Afghani untreated emerald is the cost of the entire eternity ring!) compared to the emerald eternity rings where they do not disclose lab/natural or treatments.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you like the look, get a reasonably inexpensive emerald band and then just don’t worry about any of it. If something happens to the stones, you can replace the whole band. For a band, I wouldn’t worry about whether the stones are synthetic or not - to get natural and untreated you’d probably be paying a lot more or going custom (and paying a lot more). Many of these gemstone bands have synthetic gems. As long as they’re not simulated, close enough. Sometimes it’s best to just get the thing you want and deal with the fact that something may happen to it eventually.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What about a band with tsavorite garnets? I have an eternity style ring with these guys which are natural and untreated. Will try to find a picture of it next to an emerald.

voce

Ideal_Rock
If you definitely want untreated gems, tsav garnet would be a good way to go. They will see more wear than synthetic emerald, however, due to lower hardness.

If you do go the synthetic route, make sure you like the look and buy from a vendor who does returns. I don't have any experience buying synthetics, but I do know that not all synthetics are the same in terms of quality. Many synthetic gems, including a big blue spinel featured in JOTW, lack glow, whether that's due to lack of silk or some other type of inclusion, and extinction/shadowing then become more apparent. So pick a good synthetic. I've also seen many gems in the Fabulous Fashion Jewelry forum that look phenomenal.

I'm still antsy about buying synthetics because, like electronics, they get cheaper over time, and when I give jewelry to friends and family I don't want them to think, "what the crap, you got me some lab gems." I like buying gems that are imperfectly perfect, and most lab gems are just too uniformly perfect.

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
I have nothing useful to add but I'd like to commend you on your thread title :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many many years ago I used to wear an emerald band when I was University - that ring got bumped, worn in the shower, worn rollerblading (hands going fast smashing into things), worn everywhere, after a number of years of very rough treatment the stones had minor abrasion and I managed to chip one emerald in the corner at the end of a 3/4 band.

That was way before I actually took any care with my jewellery..... Real emeralds are probably hardier channel set in a band like this than you think.

I personally would buy a preloved one that is either real or nice looking man made emeralds over the ones you have listed, just check none of the stones are cracked or chipped;

https://www.rubylane.com/item/20174...llow-gold-emerald-wedding?search=1&t=2a545a4c

https://www.rubylane.com/item/19048...merald-Full-Eternity-Band?search=1&t=c179ec00

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1904886-1505/Vintage-18-Carat-White-Gold-Emerald?search=1&t=b999866d

Vintage synthetic emerald one;

https://www.rubylane.com/item/11037...ald-Eternity-Ring-Channel?search=1&t=e7afebdc

Last edited:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I have nothing useful to add but I'd like to commend you on your thread title :wavey:

Thank you. DH often looks and me when I say something out of nowhere and states "now, this, this is your worst idea"

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Many many years ago I used to wear an emerald band when I was University - that ring got bumped, worn in the shower, worn rollerblading (hands going fast smashing into things), worn everywhere, after a number of years of very rough treatment the stones had minor abrasion and I managed to chip one emerald in the corner at the end of a 3/4 band.

That was way before I actually took any care with my jewellery..... Real emeralds are probably hardier channel set in a band like this than you think.

I personally would buy a preloved one that is either real or nice looking man made emeralds over the ones you have listed, just check none of the stones are cracked or chipped;

https://www.rubylane.com/item/20174...llow-gold-emerald-wedding?search=1&t=2a545a4c

https://www.rubylane.com/item/19048...merald-Full-Eternity-Band?search=1&t=c179ec00

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1904886-1505/Vintage-18-Carat-White-Gold-Emerald?search=1&t=b999866d

Vintage synthetic emerald one;

https://www.rubylane.com/item/11037...ald-Eternity-Ring-Channel?search=1&t=e7afebdc

Hi Arkieb1

I was hoping to get an understanding on one of these bands, the top 2 that you have listed, it doesnt specifically state that it is lab grown and given the pricing and i know it is second hand, would you hazard a guess as they are earth grown or lab grown? the colour from the manmade one is bottle green colour and the ones above are more glowy green. so my initial thoughts are that the top 2 emeralds are earth grown emeralds.

of the top 2 that you listed, the second one is more $ and from what i can understand it is about 0.39mm wider ie bigger stones.. so that would accoutn for the price differnce? the second listing doesnt have the total weight of the stones.

i have also asked for clarity from the vendors, but wanted to get your opinion on it... or if others woudl want to chime in...

voce

Ideal_Rock
Um, please search this forum or Fabulous Fashion Jewelry forum for Gene Flannigan's lab emeralds. Those synthetics are top color. It's a self delusion to say that synthetics are bottle green and not glowy. They can look so real and much better clarity than earth made emerald.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@gregchang35 Just because they look glowing or a certain way doesn't always make them real, generally the real ones magnified you can see inclusions colour differences etc, but when in doubt ask the vendor, the good ones with know the rest will not know (so therefore you should be paying a synthetic price if they are not sure).

Emeralds also have different levels of treatments which impacts pricing as well. I just listed some examples I found, the first 3 look real (but you would have to check with the vendors) and also ask for the level of treatment if they know.

I've seen synthetic nice bright coloured ones listed on places like Ebay and Etsy before as well.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Um, please search this forum or Fabulous Fashion Jewelry forum for Gene Flannigan's lab emeralds. Those synthetics are top color. It's a self delusion to say that synthetics are bottle green and not glowy. They can look so real and much better clarity than earth made emerald.

Thank you. When I was making that bottle green comment I was referring to the one that was listed in that thread... but am now off to check out genes lab.... up to something!!! Lol

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@gregchang35 Just because they look glowing or a certain way doesn't always make them real, generally the real ones magnified you can see inclusions colour differences etc, but when in doubt ask the vendor, the good ones with know the rest will not know (so therefore you should be paying a synthetic price if they are not sure).

Emeralds also have different levels of treatments which impacts pricing as well. I just listed some examples I found, the first 3 look real (but you would have to check with the vendors) and also ask for the level of treatment if they know.

I've seen synthetic nice bright coloured ones listed on places like Ebay and Etsy before as well.
Thanx... I am hoping the vendor will know...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True except for the finest natural emeralds. ;-)

voce

Ideal_Rock
@T L are you saying that the finest natural emeralds have BETTER clarity than lab? That metallic sheen look is not clarity, it's a concept Richard Wise called crystal. I really do not see how the assertion is helpful to the OP, as they were looking for an eternity band, and really I doubt that you'd see much of a difference between natural and synthetic in those small sizes.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L are you saying that the finest natural emeralds have BETTER clarity than lab? That metallic sheen look is not clarity, it's a concept Richard Wise called crystal. I really do not see how the assertion is helpful to the OP, as they were looking for an eternity band, and really I doubt that you'd see much of a difference between natural and synthetic in those small sizes.
No, I was replying to your comment above about synthetics being “top color.” I didn’t mention clarity. I should have clarified, sorry. Yes, synthetics do have optimal clarity, but as far as color is concerned, nothing beats a top emerald because of the way the micro inclusions scatter light. This enhances the color.

I just wanted to clarify because I didn’t want people to think that synthetics emeralds are better than top natural emeralds whereas color is concerned.

I personally don’t care much for synthetic emeralds because IMO, they lack that extra glowy factor. However, as small stones in a band ring, they may suffice.

Last edited:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh now I'm off to look up Gene too. Thanks again @arkieb1 @T L and @voce

Btw what would be a reasonable price range for synthetic, say 2-2.5mm eternity? Granted setting will affect that. I have a decent feel for pricing on natural bands but so many vintage vendors can't say for certain if stones are treated etc. Makes me wary and I can live with a lab band as a daily driver.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @voce I'll start a new thread there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results