shape
carat
color
clarity

Embarrassing Questions ... bikini wax?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve had a brazilian done regularly for over 15 yrs now - mainly started because muslims *are supposed* do this for the sake of cleanliness - so i really can''t imagine not doing it at all. hygiene wise it is a no brainer to me.

the first time is the scariest and my reco would be to get it done the week AFTER AF as i''ve noticed that''s when it is least painful. the week before AF is the worst.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 4:33:11 PM
Author: sbde
* do this for the sake of cleanliness - so i really can''t imagine not doing it at all. hygiene wise it is a no brainer to me.

okay, WHY is this cleaner than having hair? The hair is there to protect from outside irritants in the same way eyelashes protect the eye. It also provides a breathable barrier so moisture can evaporate. I just don''t want to look like I''m smuggling Chewbacca.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 2:42:24 AM
Author: PrettyBlues
Date: 5/9/2008 2:28:14 AM
Author: TravelingGal
If you find you like the convenience of not having to shave, I say laser! It hurts less than a bikini wax (in my opinon...although the first visit is the most painful). I have not had to shave in 5 years.
Oh now this is something that I have always wanted to do! I don''t know anyone that has done it though, which seems strange. It''s not that expensive and you don''t have to go every four-six weeks for upkeep. Maybe everyone is as lazy as I am in actually getting it done?
How many times did you have to go before it stopped growing back in T-Gal?
Same here. I wasn''t sure if it worked though and waxing is so painful along with ingrown hairs every now and then.

TravelingGal- you said the first visit is painful. So, does the skin get irritated? Did you have it all removed? That would be so nice! I hate hair other than on my head!
32.gif
lol

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 3:59:02 PM
Author: appletini
LOL! I've only had my eyebrows waxed twice, and for me that is more painful than a brazilian. Also for first timers, I would recommend leaving at least a strip b/c that strip area will probably be most sensitive.

I usually get a solid 10 days before I see any regrowth, and I get it done every 3-4 weeks. For you shavers, once you wax you will never go back to shaving.

I've never done the paper panties...what is the point? Oh and my lady will also pluck any strays, fix ingrowns, and trims what is left.

ETA: my spa is $55, but some of the other comprabable ones charge even more.

Apple-

Isnt it annoying that you have to deal with the regrowth (stubble) until you get waxed again? I have been shaving for years, and this is the only thing that is holding me back from getting waxed. I hate to not have the area perfectly smooth....so I usually shave every second day or so, which works for me....But with waxing youre only smooth for about 10 days, and the rest of the time you have to deal with stubble? That may annoy me....
1.gif
What do you think?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani, that is precisely the reason I got laser...you have to grow back enough for them to rip out. I hated that!

Appletini, I''d look into laser if you were you...$55 every 3-4 weeks adds up! For those of you who are candidates, it''s just awesome.

I think someone asked if I had my pits done...well, I am hairless everywhere except *down there*. I swear, it''s as if all the follicles ran south of the border (sorry if that''s TMI). I have NO armpit hair...well maybe literally 5 hairs per pit, seriously. I hated shaving because asian hair is coarse and ouch for those ingrowns!!!

Dreamgirl, my skin did not get irritated at all. I took to the treatment extremely well. Whoever does yours should give you a patch test first...that is the responsible thing to do! You go back after a week or two and they see if you have any complications. I had a brazillian done via laser, and like waxing, the undercarriage actually hurt the least, with the top line hurting the most!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I think I''m gonna do it. I''ve been nervous about the pain, but if I can get tattooed down there, ripping hair out should be a breeze!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is all so interesting! I really think its a generational thing ... as I was reading some comments on a celeb upskirt pix (don't ask) and the young dudes were TOTALLY ragging on the girl for daring to have any pubic hair. They were all "so unclean" and "blech" etc.
20.gif
At first I was like - well these must be nerds who've never seen a "real woman" but then it occurred to me that the younger generation must ALL BE WAXING! Anyhooo ... I certainly don't think NOT waxing is unhygienic ... that fuzz was put on for a purpose. But I have been known to, uh, take it all off. I don't have a preference really -- but I'm cheap & lazy --- so moderate shaving is more my speed!
3.gif
I'm 1/2 way curious enough to start a poll to test out the generational theory. Only half. See previous "lazy".

Date: 5/9/2008 9:58:34 PM
I had a brazillian done via laser
Could you update yr. avatar illustration plz ...
31.gif
11.gif
??

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Deco~ I''m 28, so i may be the "generation" you''re speaking of, but, I wouldn''t take it all off. For some reason it seems WRONG to me. Like why would my husband WANT me to look like a 10 year old girl down there???

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 10:21:49 PM
Author: decodelighted
This is all so interesting! I really think its a generational thing ... as I was reading some comments on a celeb upskirt pix (don''t ask) and the young dudes were TOTALLY ragging on the girl for daring to have any pubic hair. They were all ''so unclean'' and ''blech'' etc.
20.gif
At first I was like - well these must be nerds who''ve never seen a ''real woman'' but then it occurred to me that the younger generation must ALL BE WAXING! Anyhooo ... I certainly don''t think NOT waxing is unhygienic ... that fuzz was put on for a purpose. But I have been known to, uh, take it all off. I don''t have a preference really -- but I''m cheap & lazy --- so moderate shaving is more my speed!
3.gif
I''m 1/2 way curious enough to start a poll to test out the generational theory. Only half. See previous ''lazy''.

31.gif
11.gif
??
Should I just erase a portion of the stick figure body?
1.gif

Maybe it''s a generational thing. Or maybe it''s driven by panty designers. I mean, seriously...how is a woman supposed to wear some of this stuff without "peepers?" Who wants to look like Cousin It tied by a bandana?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 10:30:27 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Deco~ I''m 28, so i may be the ''generation'' you''re speaking of, but, I wouldn''t take it all off. For some reason it seems WRONG to me. Like why would my husband WANT me to look like a 10 year old girl down there???
TGuy feels the same way...landing strips are mandatory. BTW, did the brazillian before I ever met him.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 10:33:26 PM
Who wants to look like Cousin It tied by a bandana?
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Between that comment & the smuggling Chewbacca from earlier I''m gonna hurt myself laughing! You gals are Heeelarious.

And you''re making me feel like Big Foot down below.
23.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is very painful, at least to me.

I do not like the totally bare look, I just sort of feel women should have a bit, I just do not want to look like Fidel Castro is in there.

Most nice salons handle it so you do not feel exposed or uncomfortable. I think average cost for a regular wax would be 50.00 or so. I do it all year round.

Plan to give yourself a couple of days without sun exposure, and Tend Skin is great to prevent ingrowns.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 10:43:31 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Between that comment & the smuggling Chewbacca from earlier I''m gonna hurt myself laughing! You gals are Heeelarious.

And you''re making me feel like Big Foot down below.
23.gif
Then get with the program...you''d better not be hairier than what''s in your avatar.
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 10:52:37 PM
Date: 5/9/2008 10:43:31 PM
you''re making me feel like Big Foot down below.
23.gif
Then get with the program...you''d better not be hairier than what''s in your avatar.
9.gif
HA!!! Heck if *my* coat were 1/2 as silky and gorgeous I''d be strutting around in crotchless jumpsuits. I did NOT just write that.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 10:34:31 PM
Date: 5/9/2008 10:30:27 PM

Author: somethingshiny

Deco~ I''m 28, so i may be the ''generation'' you''re speaking of, but, I wouldn''t take it all off. For some reason it seems WRONG to me. Like why would my husband WANT me to look like a 10 year old girl down there???
TGuy feels the same way...landing strips are mandatory. BTW, did the brazillian before I ever met him.

I have some pretty strong feelings along this vein myself, and had some bad experiences with an ex who was pretty seriously brainwashed about what was ''normal''.

I like the landing strip myself, but it''s expensive to get waxed and I always have ingrown hair issues. Luckily things aren''t unruly down there so a pair of tweezers can get me swimsuit ready in a minute or two.

It''s something worth trying at least once
5.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 11:00:38 PM
HA!!! Heck if *my* coat were 1/2 as silky and gorgeous I''d be strutting around in crotchless jumpsuits. I did NOT just write that.

23.gif

HAHA! Tea, meet screen.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
TGal and Deco, you ladies are hilarious!

TGal, I''m extraordinarily jealous of your 5 armpit hairs. I do my own waxing--bikini area, arms and armpits (armpits are the most painful by far). I''ve wanted to get laser hair removal for years, but I''m so embarrassed to go in there. I often compare myself to BigFoot when it comes to body hair and I''m terrified I''ll go in for a consultation and they will say "Honey, there aren''t enough lasers on this planet!" It would be so nice to not have to wax or shave anymore, though. I''m so tired of it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, you''re a riot.

NEL, no one is going to say anything. These laser people do men too, so they do all kinds of levels of hairy! My gal said they get a lot of gay clientelle who want to laser all over! Chest, back, and more...

Look into it...you''ll honestly wonder why you didn''t do it sooner. It''s so nice not to have to worry about that anymore!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Guffaw!!!!!!!

I haven''t laughed that hard in a while Deco! Thanks!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 11:07:51 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
TGal and Deco, you ladies are hilarious!

TGal, I''m extraordinarily jealous of your 5 armpit hairs. I do my own waxing--bikini area, arms and armpits (armpits are the most painful by far).

I don''t know how you do it yourself! I go in and get a brazilian done ever couple of months and so one month I decided to try to do it myself-I rang D crying in the end as it was so sore trying to pull off the strips myself! And he just laughed at me
20.gif

I''m not very hairy thankfully (apart from the hair on my head which is just down to my behind), but I just like getting it all off. I do think that it''s very sore but it''s a pain that''s worth it for the ten to fifteen minutes that you''re there. I tried the "no scream cream" that my salon were selling, but I didn''t find it beneficial at all, in fact I think it hurt a bit more.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 9:15:15 PM
Author: Dani

Date: 5/9/2008 3:59:02 PM
Author: appletini
LOL! I''ve only had my eyebrows waxed twice, and for me that is more painful than a brazilian. Also for first timers, I would recommend leaving at least a strip b/c that strip area will probably be most sensitive.

I usually get a solid 10 days before I see any regrowth, and I get it done every 3-4 weeks. For you shavers, once you wax you will never go back to shaving.

I''ve never done the paper panties...what is the point? Oh and my lady will also pluck any strays, fix ingrowns, and trims what is left.

ETA: my spa is $55, but some of the other comprabable ones charge even more.

Apple-

Isnt it annoying that you have to deal with the regrowth (stubble) until you get waxed again? I have been shaving for years, and this is the only thing that is holding me back from getting waxed. I hate to not have the area perfectly smooth....so I usually shave every second day or so, which works for me....But with waxing youre only smooth for about 10 days, and the rest of the time you have to deal with stubble? That may annoy me....
1.gif
What do you think?
Dani, I used to shave that area forever before I started waxing and with the wax just creates a much more smoother surface than shaving, plus I''m just really lazy about shaving. Anyway though when the hair grows back after the wax it is much finer, its not the rough stubble that comes from shaving, so its really not bad. I hate shaving so much, that I usually one shave legs once a week (I go much longer in the winter), and go for 2-3 days before having to shave my legs again...I do pits more often b/c in short sleeve/sleeveless weather and working out, well people will notice that a lot more.

T-Gal,
I actually thought about the lazering a few years ago, and at the time I heald off b/c it said you had to let your wax grow out for 3 months before your first service, but I read something the other day that said only 1 week so I need to do more research. If I do lazer, I would def do "that area" and my underarms. My dermatologist office offers lazer and I''m always hearing commercials on the radio for Sona Med Spa.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... maybe I will give it a try and just see what I prefer in the end...Im nervious about the pain though!!!!
6.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
dani,. the pain really isn''t that bad and its a quick pain. I usually just close my eyes and try not to look at anything.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just throwing in my 2 cents here...I had a brazilian done once a number of years ago. I found that the areas I expected to be really painful ("undercarriage" - lol, that cracks me up) were not at all, but the regular bikini areas hurt most, but still not that bad. The only thing I advise is testing the wax elsewhere on your body a few days before the appt. to make sure you aren''t allergic. I went to a very reputable salon, got the brazilian (which I LOVED!), and the next day broke out in the worst rash of my life! Belly button to b*tt crack, LOL, it was AWFUL! I have been way too scared to ever go for a wax again
7.gif

(PS - I don''t even have sensitive skin, and had waxed brows and bikini before at other salons with no problems, so I know it was the specific wax they used)

sera

Ideal_Rock
OMG This was so not the thread to peek at on my way out the door. I''ve been sitting here cracking up! Chewbacca... Castro... LOL.

I hate shaving! I have very sensitive skin and shaving irritates it and regrowth irritates it. I''ve tried waxing myself (pulled the skin, left the hair) and tried the creams (just burned for a few minutes and the hair was still there when I wiped it off).

At work someone is fundraising and they have a list of spas... one of them offers laser hair removal on the arm pits. You pay $65 and get 4 visits, though each visit is a different service. Even if I have to pay around $120 x 5 more visits... I think it would be worth it. I''m going to have to give them a call and get the low down on waxing down low. I was afraid it would really hurt, but it sounds like it''s not too bad. And YEARS without shaving would be sooooo nice! I have very fair skin, light and dark blonde hair... I don''t know that I would be a good candidate, though. I''ll have to see.

At least all this TMI was helpful info.
5.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, if we cannot segue from bling to sprucing up our lady bits, what good are we to each other? This is often stuff no one will freely discuss with you!

Ingrowns are the bane of my life where waxing is concerned. I absolutely hate them. But they are part of the package unless you loose a good anti bump cream and exfoliate too.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
No one does talk about this stuff! My 18 yr old sis came to me the other day and said something had to be done and asked how to go about it. She can''t go to my mom because she''s au natural (Welcome to the Jungle!). I told her I''d do the waxing and let her know how it goes.

Just found out my best friend waxed herself, apparently it ain''t pretty!

LOL to the many jokes and innuendos!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 10:21:49 PM
This is all so interesting! I really think its a generational thing ... as I was reading some comments on a celeb upskirt pix (don''t ask) and the young dudes were TOTALLY ragging on the girl for daring to have any pubic hair. They were all ''so unclean'' and ''blech'' etc.
20.gif
At first I was like - well these must be nerds who''ve never seen a ''real woman'' but then it occurred to me that the younger generation must ALL BE WAXING! Anyhooo ... I certainly don''t think NOT waxing is unhygienic ... that fuzz was put on for a purpose. But I have been known to, uh, take it all off. I don''t have a preference really -- but I''m cheap & lazy --- so moderate shaving is more my speed!
3.gif
I''m 1/2 way curious enough to start a poll to test out the generational theory. Only half. See previous ''lazy''.

31.gif
11.gif
??
I think it''s generational too. My DH gets Playboy and all the gals featured are either totally bare or only have a landing strip. Sometimes they show pics from 10+ years ago and they all have a full "bush". I''m 26 and all I''ve ever known is shaving or waxing is completely "normal". I suppose at some point I knew that not everyone did it, but it certainly seems that way. I don''t know for sure (and don''t want to!) but I''m pretty sure my mom is "au naturale" so to speak because she looks at me and my sister like we''re crazy when we talk about shaving down there. My sister is too chicken to wax so she wants me to do it first. I still haven''t made an appointment.

I''ve asked my husband his opinion and he says that he doesn''t care either way. I don''t totally believe him - I think he likes it completely gone but I don''t really have any solid proof of that - especially since I always shaved until I couldn''t see past my preggo belly anymore.
5.gif

golden

Shiny_Rock
I would make sure you go somewhere clean, and somewhere that uses individual waxes (so you get your own) or a new stick EVERY time they did and re-dip, not just a new stick for you, every time they dip, they should be using a new stick. Yes, you would think that they all do that, but they don''t. Alot of people say it doesnt matter because the wax is so hot, but I even asked my gyno about this, and this is exactly what she said. So I would call ahead of time and ask.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I ain''t saying if I do, and I ain''t saying if I don''t
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
but I just have to say that this thread has me LOL!!! You guys are hilarious!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results