shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Israel says "Falsely Accused" by JAA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2008 8:09:35 AM
Author: BKDJ
I''ve heard about this as well. But from personal experiance, I have bought several stones at the Israeli Boursa with EGL''s. When I resold them, the customers requested GIA or AGS certs which I then had to send in the stones to get certified, in all cases they matched my israeli EGLs and in a case or two, the % distribution (cut) was a higher grade when marked by GIA...

Then your experience is diametrically opposed to mine, but then I am not buying at the bourse where I could separate the wheat from the chaff and only buy the stones I thought correctly graded.

I have YET to see an EGL Israel that I thought correctly graded.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2008 9:23:29 AM

Date: 9/4/2008 8:46:14 AM
Author: elle_chris
Falsely accused my a$$.

When I was looking for a stone , I went to 47th street (nyc) just to get a good idea of a size I''d be comfortable with.

8/10 stores kept pushing EGL stones on me. When I insisted on only seeing GIA or AGS (yeah right, i think one store had 2 AGS stones) they all warned me that they were more expensive. So i asked why. The response I most commonly heard was it takes longer and costs more for their reports. Oh really? GIA''s report costs THOUSANDS more for the same color and clarity grade?? I''m not confrontational so just kind of nodded my head and moved on. Only one place was honest about the grading differences (wish I could remember who they were).

Apparently jewelers know exactly why EGL stones trade for less than GIA stones of the same color/clarity. Why not just be honest about their softer grading instead of pretty much lying to consumers and swearing up and down they we got a deal.

Leave it up to us to decide if we''re comfortable with the EGL grade.

Its true that the reports cost a few hundred dollars, but thats not the main problem.... the problem is that it can take anywhere from 2 to 6 months to grade the diamond! So its VERY TIME CONSUMING... Which means that in the long run, it raises the cost significantly.

Hope this helps,
Anthony
Interesting, I average two to four weeks when I get a report. Just got one for a client''s diamond, sent it in less than three weeks ago and was notified yesterday that it is being returned.

Where do you get this number?

Wink

BKDJ

Rough_Rock
I personally like my stones with a GIA or AGS certificate! but since I can call out certain aspects, I don''t mind it being a EGL.

My experiences with GIA turn-around times have been lengthy. If the stated times are now accurate, then besides the few hundreds it can cost for larger stones to be graded, why not! not such a big deal like in the past.

I think if you like a specific stone and its EGL graded but you want it GIA or AGS, then with a deposit, I dont think any seller should hesitate to have it re-certified!

-Anthony

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/5/2008 9:29:27 AM
I personally like my stones with a GIA or AGS certificate! but since I can call out certain aspects, I don''t mind it being a EGL.

My experiences with GIA turn-around times have been lengthy. If the stated times are now accurate, then besides the few hundreds it can cost for larger stones to be graded, why not! not such a big deal like in the past.

I think if you like a specific stone and its EGL graded but you want it GIA or AGS, then with a deposit, I dont think any seller should hesitate to have it re-certified!

-Anthony
Anthony or whoever you are, and anyone who wondered about this persons strange posts, please read here
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-before-i-make-a-move.94568/page-3

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results