Ideal_Rock
40BE543C-BC01-41DD-8271-CF26FB7CD856.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an FYI though we already know this was the reason

"

Why are there no eggs? Avian flu and keeping human risk low

Egg prices are up 60%, which means we are paying upwards of $5-7 for a dozen eggs. That is if you can find them.

Why? A constellation of reasons, but there is one we can’t ignore: the avian flu is hammering poultry farmers. For the general public, there’s no immediate concern, except that it’s a pain at the grocery store. However, avian flu is mutating, which may have implications for our future health. Here’s the lowdown.

What’s going on?​

In early January 2022, U.S. infectious disease surveillance systems detected a highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (HPAI) called A(H5N1), more commonly known as the bird flu or avian influenza.

Since then, more than 54 million wild and domestic birds have been infected across 47 U.S. states leading to an unprecedented outbreak. This includes 44 million egg-laying hens, hence egg prices. We haven’t detected the avian flu in the U.S. since 2016, so this new outbreak this is noteworthy.

Why does this matter?​

The risk of avian flu to human health is currently very low. To demonstrate, CDC has tracked the health of more than 5,190 people exposed to birds with the virus in 2022, with one human case reported. If someone does get infected, there is no sustained human-to-human transmission. In other words, a human can typically only get it from an infected bird.

But, as Dr. Michael Osterholm said to STAT, “Any time you’re dealing with H5N1, you sleep with one eye open.” This is for three reasons:

1. Economic damage. On a small scale, outbreaks can wreak havoc on backyard chicken coops, which is stressful for families who are reliant on their egg and meat production. On a larger scale, outbreaks in commercial poultry farms have devastate local food supplies, affect farmers’ and employees’ livelihoods, and raise poultry prices due to a limited and strained supply. For example, an egg factory in Iowa killed 5.3 million chickens over a single case of avian influenza in the flock. This was the largest culling of commercial birds in the U.S.
    A green tractor in a field of dirt piles
    The presumed burial pit of chickens on Rembrandt Foods property. Photograph: Dan Brouillette/The Guardian. Source here.
  2. High mortality rate. If someone does get infected, symptoms can range from asymptomatic to severe illness, hospitalization, and death. From 2003-2021 there have been very few human cases worldwide: 864. But, among these cases, 456 died—a 53% mortality rate.
  3. Mutations. H5N1 has the potential to mutate into being better adaptable to humans. This can happen over time with single mutations or at one time with one big change in which large sections of the virus recombine (like with the human flu) to create a very different virus. Concern recently heightened when a European report confirmed sustained mammal-to-mammal transmission of H5N1 in Spain in October 2022 at a mink farm. The weekly mortality rate reached 4.3% per week. Scientists mapped the genome of the virus at the mink farm and found that it carried rare and previously unreported mutations. This means the virus could be mutating in a concerning direction. Many epidemiologists continue to put money on the flu causing the next pandemic. (Keep in mind that the 1918 flu was linked to the avian flu.) I cannot think of a bigger disaster than having another respiratory pandemic on the heels of COVID-19, given fatigue, polarization, loss of trust, and limited time to improve.

What to do?​

Infected birds shed the virus through their mucous, salvia, and feces. Humans can get sick from breathing in the droplets or aerosols containing viral particles.

You cannot get avian flu from eating poultry or eggs. The FDA conducted a risk assessment and found risk was very low for three reasons:

1. Rapid onset of bird symptoms = low likelihood of entering the food chain;
  2. Safeguards in place, like testing flocks and federal inspections;
  3. Proper storage and food preparation at home is enough to inactivate the virus.
Right now you don’t need to do anything, unless you’re in close contact with birds. A person’s level of risk is dependent on duration and intensity of exposure. In other words, a person with one chicken in their backyard is at much lower risk than someone at a poultry farm.

Those around wild birds, such as at parks, lakes, rivers, or other waterways, need to exercise caution, including wearing PPE, washing hands, and changing clothes. If you have backyard poultry, wear a mask and wash your hands. Also, monitor the health of your flock, especially if they come in contact with other wild birds.

Commercial facilities have stepped up control measures to monitor cases and safety measures to protect their flocks, which is also contributing to increasing egg prices.

All of these practices will help you, as an individual, avoid sickness. But it will also help lower the population risk by reducing the number of times the virus mutates (and reducing the possibility of a human outbreak).

How long will this outbreak last?​

We don’t know. Just like with COVID-19, it’s difficult to predict a virus’s future. The last large avian flu pandemic lasted 6 months, so the current outbreak has already been twice as long.

Bottom line​

We are experiencing a record outbreak of avian flu—the largest and longest in U.S. history. It has been devastating to farmers and birds but likely only affects you at the grocery store. Epidemiologists continue to pay close attention and are crossing our fingers that we don’t see sustained human-to-human transmission.

"

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
We went to Costco Thursday and for the first time ever I went into the egg section just to see what was happening. I don't eat eggs. Anyway took a photo for those interested. I do not know what the price of eggs were before the shortage but this price doesn't seem bad for two dozen organic eggs. But again no clue what they cost before the shortage. They are limiting people to two packages (48 eggs) per purchase

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 6.59.20 AM.png

Where I live, the "normal" price for these 24 organic eggs at Costco was $6.50 (give or take a few cents). Given the shortages, this seems pretty reasonable all things considered.

Went to Target yesterday and found my preferred brand of pasture raised eggs at 18 for just under $9, which historically has been average for that brand, and the normal price of $7.50 for 12 eggs for the heritage breed brown and blue eggs (which I will occasionally splurge on to make ramen eggs because the yolks really do taste better, especially when doing soft boiled eggs).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where I live, the "normal" price for these 24 organic eggs at Costco was $6.50 (give or take a few cents). Given the shortages, this seems pretty reasonable all things considered.

Went to Target yesterday and found my preferred brand of pasture raised eggs at 18 for just under $9, which historically has been average for that brand, and the normal price of $7.50 for 12 eggs for the heritage breed brown and blue eggs (which I will occasionally splurge on to make ramen eggs because the yolks really do taste better, especially when doing soft boiled eggs).

Yeah I don’t buy or eat eggs (or chicken, turkey, pork, beef etc) so no clue what their usual cost is.
Just shared it because others seem interested in the cost in different areas

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Welsh farmer explaining why there is a shortage and it's not avian flu, it's human greed. It costs more to produce a dozen eggs now and the freakin' supermakets don't wanna pay farmers a fair price.

and another perspective:

I buy directly from farmers now.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welsh farmer explaining why there is a shortage and it's not avian flu, it's human greed. It costs more to produce a dozen eggs now and the freakin' supermakets don't wanna pay farmers a fair price.

and another perspective:

I buy directly from farmers now.

We had a similar story in Canada but it was about the chicken meat. One of the large supermarkets was selling chicken for $27/kg, and a farmer who sells to this store said they get paid $2.25/kg. Where is that profit going? Straight into the supermarkets profits. Yes there are costs to bring it to consumers, but that is 12x mark up. I'd much rather go to a farmers market and pay a similar price but at least it goes mainly to the farmers.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We had a similar story in Canada but it was about the chicken meat. One of the large supermarkets was selling chicken for $27/kg, and a farmer who sells to this store said they get paid $2.25/kg. Where is that profit going? Straight into the supermarkets profits. Yes there are costs to bring it to consumers, but that is 12x mark up. I'd much rather go to a farmers market and pay a similar price but at least it goes mainly to the farmers.
I heard about the chiken meat issue, incredible price, what can I say...

I paid 6 GBP for 30 large eggs from the farm (literally drove to a farm that had a shop), prices started from 3.5GBP for 30 small ones.
Supermakets sell 6 eggs for about 2.5 GBP, cheeky ba%^rds!

Other people were there at the farm buying stuff, people are catching on.

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to remember if buying from someone local is that some are selling BELOW any sort of cost for care simply to offset part of the expense of keeping the birds. Others who charge more might be charging closer to the true cost of upkeep.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One thing to remember if buying from someone local is that some are selling BELOW any sort of cost for care simply to offset part of the expense of keeping the birds. Others who charge more might be charging closer to the true cost of upkeep.

Well I think (gotta check again) the guy in the video said it costs them 1.4 GBP to produce a dozen eggs, that's approx. 11 pence per egg and I paid 20 pence per 1 size large egg in my area. Hopefully they make some profit considering they sell small eggs too which will fetch less.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
img_1_1674148906990.thumb.jpg.d9b8c6953edcf298113fe54c202e0189.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is from down home
Port Chalmers is the port of Otago/Dunedin and where my dad grew up
right on the roaring '40's
cant say i blame the ship because paying customers want eggs for breakfast but its a bit cheecky

with n o luck in port they tried going into town ,,,,,

Its vessel, Azamara Quest, which hosts 650 passengers, 400 crew and presumably dozens of Dunedin eggs, departed Port Chalmers for Fiordland on Monday.

that ship is pointed in the wrong direction for departure

1675234764175.jpg

(

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.png.e60ce59638751acb88695ed1daef6883.png

excellant price where ever this was even if in greenbacks

I saw feminine pads one time at Walmart that were $6.66, I sent a screenshot to DH saying “look at these satanic maxi pads” LOL!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I saw feminine pads one time at Walmart that were $6.66, I sent a screenshot to DH saying “look at these satanic maxi pads” LOL!

There is an exit labeled "333" on a drive we frequently do to go visit family, and the first time my husband and I passed it and I nonchalantly declared, out of no where (to his mind, this was a family tradition amongst my brothers and I) "We are half way to h#ll", he was very concerned about my change in attitude about the visit! Had to explain it was a decades long ongoing joke.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A national championship is going to be hosted in the town near me and a friend wants to take one of the breakfast making slots to raise money for altering local cats. Awesome idea except the maximum allowed is $6 per plate. She was thinking eggs, sausage or bacon, and pancakes. Ummm..... The larger quantities like a restaurant would buy are substantially higher than by the dozen and dozens still have limit of two. We're brainstorming. Not sure if it is worth the work it will take to cook for some hundreds of people :eek-2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... that ship is pointed in the wrong direction for departure
Maybe not.

e.png

That tugboat behind it may be pulling it, perhaps because there wasn't room for the ship to turn around in port.
Also, notice there is no wake behind the boat but a bit of disturbed white water under its bow, in front.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe not.

e.png

That tugboat behind it may be pulling it, perhaps because there wasn't room for the ship to turn around in port.
Also, notice there is no wake behind the boat but a bit of disturbed white water under its bow, in front.

you are so clever Kenny :appl:
our harbor is very long and narrow
1675640567073.jpeg
1675640599130.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A national championship is going to be hosted in the town near me and a friend wants to take one of the breakfast making slots to raise money for altering local cats. Awesome idea except the maximum allowed is $6 per plate. She was thinking eggs, sausage or bacon, and pancakes. Ummm..... The larger quantities like a restaurant would buy are substantially higher than by the dozen and dozens still have limit of two. We're brainstorming. Not sure if it is worth the work it will take to cook for some hundreds of people :eek-2:

something with out eggs
its winter right ?
some sort of hot cereal and fruit (with bacon)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Eggs used to be the cheapest protein for breakfast. Not anymore! If I had to feed hundreds for less than $6 a plate I would make a bunch of big homemade cinnamon rolls ( some eggs in dough but not too many). Flour,sugar yeast etc is cheap. Maybe pancakes ( just a few eggs in the batter), ham slices, bacon or pork sausage - whichever is cheaper and a hash brown casserole consisting of potatoes, milk, spices and cheese Which Can be cut into squares for serving. All can be made and cooked in advance and kept warm for Serving.Eggs now are so expensive and really can only be served to the masses scrambled. Each decent scoop of eggs is at least two eggs.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock

What about a waffle bar? Offer a few different topping choices and call it good. Minimal prep, especially if you utilize a premade batter, and the toppings could be made ahead of time so you're only cooking the one item.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is it served? by the plate? buffet style? if so, pancakes; bagels and cream cheese; muffins; mixed fruit; bacon and/or breakfast sausage? maybe yoghurt?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
a sad update
you know i no nothing about farming in sheds but this was a new building -why no sprinklers
too sad
i guess it would have been the smoke poor chookies

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a sad update
you know i no nothing about farming in sheds but this was a new building -why no sprinklers
too sad
i guess it would have been the smoke poor chookies

That is so sad! Those poor chickens ;( I do hope it was quick for them and the smoke took them peacefully. I see stuff like this and wonder why so many have no sprinkler systems or anything. Just not installed? Would cause undue stress and potentially go off for false alarms causing accidental deaths?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results