shape
carat
color
clarity

Egg and other shortages?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case anyone is tempted to get chickens (or ducks) for eggs....
I did the math this morning. At the current price of farm fresh eggs in our area, it will take 2,000 DOZEN eggs from our girls to break even after the expense of coops & runs for them. At our current rate of usage, that is 1,000 weeks. Of course that doesn't factor in their ongoing care with basically wipes out any possible savings (even at $40/month feed etc) from eggs. That said, I love having them here and they will (hopefully) eat lots of slugs and stuff.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I did the math this morning. At the current price of farm fresh eggs in our area, it will take 2,000 DOZEN eggs from our girls to break even after the expense of coops & runs for them. At our current rate of usage, that is 1,000 weeks. Of course that doesn't factor in their ongoing care with basically wipes out any possible savings (even at $40/month feed etc) from eggs. That said, I love having them here and they will (hopefully) eat lots of slugs and stuff.

Well, that's eye opening!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that's eye opening!

It can definitely be done much cheaper, but I didn't have the time or physical ability to run around collecting free pallets and cheap lumber from FB or wherever is slim right now. We could definitely have done smaller. Arguably, they don't *need* a fully secured run. Many either accept the losses or get a guardian dog to live outside with them. With avian flu and an abundance of predators (we live next to a mountain) not to mention months of rain and yuck, I wanted a big enough space for them to be comfortable in for several months at a time. We also needed help with the actual building as my back isn't strong enough yet and DH only has so much time to work outside. A friend got chickens this year and her coop cost nothing. Her DH is a contractor so got scrap wood for free and had access to plenty of free pallets around job sites that he was at already. They also live in an area with far fewer predators and aren't concerned about avian flu.

The pre-built coops you see outside of various stores generally are comfortable for maybe 3-4 chickens at the most (assuming a larger area to be in during the day) and they are not very secure so need work to keep the chickens safe. If you can find a used shed (and can move it -- which we couldn't), that is a good option. Even with "cheap" labor from around a small town, we are paying about $60/hour.
I had an estimate from a handyman service. $14,000 for just labor assuming I had all supplies sitting waiting for them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Egg prices are insane, luckily I work with several people that have chickens and they are always bringing in eggs for anyone who might want them

a customer gave me 15 lovelly large brown eggs yesterday from her chooks
i feel sorry for struggling families with the price of everything right now
over night eggs have become a luxury

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

my best fried when i was a kid, her dad kept chooks
my mum brought our eggs from them
dad got the poo once a year for the flower garden
my friend had pet bantims
we would dress them up in dolls clothes and push them around in her dolls pram and make mash pies for them with silverbeet decoration
both flocks had large runs and were let out every day into the back yard
but poo -even clean ones smell and the poo is large
the big ones would sneak inside and pinch the cat's dinner

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know about eggs in my area but we are out of tampons up here in Northern California! I found this out at the worst possible time!

Ugh that’s awful. I’m so sorry. Do you think it’s because of the storms you’ve been experiencing in the area? Causing supply chain disruptions?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We eat a lot of eggs.
One evening last week Costco had no eggs. :cry2:

I overheard a woman ask an employee about it.
He said, "We put some out every day, but you have to get here when we open at 10 AM to be sure you get some."

Today, I did.
And I did get some.
5 dozen for $15.99 ... that's $3.20 a dozen for AA large.

I'm eggstatic! :dance:

2.jpeg

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got back from shopping at HEB it was $6.98 a dozen.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. This is the restaurant supply store I shop at. 15 dozen eggs. I had been getting these if we had a big event to go to. Used to be $13 or so. Now $87.25. Definitely a reminder to be understanding if a restaurant raises prices!

ETA: they had only one box left and it was pretty crushed. There were a couple of 18 packs at $13 each. Empty otherwise.

PXL_20230113_021928186.jpg

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Towards the end of last year there were issues with free range eggs supply chain due to Avian flu, and there were reports of localised shortages in UK.

My local supermarkets did not appear to have an issue, and the weekly market in town had eggs with no reported issues.

DK :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

20 bucks for a bottle of Advil. Really??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

not so cheery--Sharon

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
No shortage here in my part of Canada. I'm paying the usual price of $7.80/dozen extra large free run eggs from Instacart.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a few months, a few months ago, maruchan instant lunch was hard to find! So I opted for cup of noodles by Nissin. New price of .79 vs .33 cents
Triple x flaming hot Cheetos are also hard to find. I guess they are selling them on eBay for like 19 dollars, lol
And tapatio hot sauce. Gone are the days when I paid .79 cents to .99 cents for a bottle that now costs 3.29 or so

I think about Dancingfire and how he would have contributed to this thread. Sigh.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to add that I’m not posting here to feel sorry for myself bc if I can afford diamonds, I have no business complaining about the price of necessities. Of course, i buy what i need and i feel blessed to be able to do so. But. I do find it amusing. I’m 49. And I don’t recall when I last lived through such a dramatic inflationary period.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to add that I’m not posting here to feel sorry for myself bc if I can afford diamonds, I have no business complaining about the price of necessities. Of course, i buy what i need and i feel blessed to be able to do so. But. I do find it amusing. I’m 49. And I don’t recall when I last lived through such a dramatic inflationary period.

I get it! The whole time we are living in is just mind boggling. Dancing Fire would have had quite a lot to say on everything. I miss his opinions and humor!

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
In the Philippines, there is an ongoing onion shortage and a looming egg shortage. Some publications are calling it the "omelette inflation crisis".

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just watching the news and they were talking about the egg shortage here in New England. I'm headed to the grocery store and will buy eggs if they have them. I make egg bites for a quick bite when I'm too busy to have a real meal, so I'd hate to be without eggs.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well they had eggs at my local Shaw's. The ones on sale were gone, but I got 18 free range eggs for 5.99 so that's not too bad. About 33 cents an egg.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I was unpleasantly surprised up on a trip to the grocery store last week that eggs were about $7/dozen for the standard white, AA.

I'm used to paying about $6/dozen for the organic, pasture raised, brown or organic "heritage" breed (brown and blue) eggs.

Eggs are a staple for my breakfasts so that was a bummer. Then I felt bad because I was disappointed that I couldn't get my organic eggs, when so many people literally don't have access to any, or simply cannot afford the cost anymore.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of months back when eggs were plentiful, but people started talking about an egg shortage I looked up if it’s possible to freeze raw eggs. I found a number of posts and the answer is, “Yes”. I greased cupcake pans, cracked one egg in each with a pinch of salt and scrambled it with a fork. Put the pan in the freezer, then take them out and pop them out of the pan to put in a Ziploc bag or other container for storage in the freezer. I have to admit I haven’t used them yet, but the site I got the idea from was a farmer, so I’m hoping it works, at least for baking, but she swears you can make scrambled or an omelette with them. We also bought a big box freezer and have been storing up meat as well, just in case.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Southern California for organic free range large eggs:
last week at Trader Joe's = $4.29 / doz
today at Sprouts = $5.99 / doz

These are the prices I regularly pay and there is no shortage at the stores I frequent, which include the two above plus Smart & Final.

Last week at Trader Joe's the non-organic, not free range were $2.99 / doz.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I barely eat eggs but usually keep some on hand for baking or whatever...they used to be around $2 here and I'd get a coupon for a free dozen every so often. Now they are $4 for a dozen large white, but $8-9 for a dozen organic eggs. Errrrrrecordscratch WTF?

I used to hear the expression "what's that got to do with the price of eggs" and had no idea what it meant. I guess I understand it now.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trader Joe’s had eggs as ‘low ’as $3.49 a dozen for grade A large this Sunday. I noticed how butter really took a price hike in October 2022 and never went back. I bake and cook from scratch for the holidays and caught the last sale on butter just before Thanksgiving, stocked up and packed the freezer. I bake hundreds of cookies for Xmas gifts too. If eggs and butter were at these current prices at Christmas, the amount, size and type of my cookies would have been greatly affected. Alas the butter stockpile is nearly gone and I dread buying it at the inflated prices. I am experimenting with using lard in my pie crusts….‍♀️like my mom did. Interesting sugar and flour are still sold cheaply.

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
Wow, I was surprised about such high prices for eggs.. In Myanmar (where I’m currently living) eggs prices nearly doubled during this year together with gas/oil prices. Now eggs costs about 1 USD/10 eggs. But national currency/USD conversion rate is 2 times higher than one year ago, the salaries remained the same. Our salaries are also very low. My husband is cardiac surgeon who works in government hospital and his salary is about 220 USD per month. So he had to work in private hospitals every evening to make something for living. We have four children so expenses are huge. I’m also a doctor- anesthesiologist, but currently cannot work (pregnant with our fifth child), my salary is the same as his. In Myanmar also we have NO government support after childbirth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results