shape
carat
color
clarity

Egg and other shortages?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well there was no shortage of eggs at Stop and Shop but I just couldn’t stomach the prices, so no eggs for us.

However I did find two whole chickens and a ham that were marked half off. So that’s a score in my book.

danusia

Rough_Rock
$4.89 for dozen large at local farmer's market. I needed it for baking. What I was not happy about was $3.69 for celery!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just not buying eggs!
I can certainly live without them.
The only problem is that I have two boxes of brownie mix in the cupboard. And they use eggs.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I’m with you, I was going to make brownies or cookies for the kids but they both required eggs.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eggs were up to $7.28 a dozen this week :roll2:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I’m with you, I was going to make brownies or cookies for the kids but they both required eggs.

There are some vegan recipes out there that are great. No eggs there. I wish I had one to share! There have been a few from a local bakery and a couple from friends that were surprisingly good. (Two of the bakery ones so good that I actually choose them over the regular non-vegan options!)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
There are some vegan recipes out there that are great. No eggs there. I wish I had one to share! There have been a few from a local bakery and a couple from friends that were surprisingly good. (Two of the bakery ones so good that I actually choose them over the regular non-vegan options!)

There are a ton of great substitutions for eggs, particularly for baking. Ener-g egg replacer is easy to use and makes delicious baked goods. It's about $10 a box, and is the equivalent of about 100 eggs.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
There are a ton of great substitutions for eggs, particularly for baking. Ener-g egg replacer is easy to use and makes delicious baked goods. It's about $10 a box, and is the equivalent of about 100 eggs.

Oops, I meant to tag @stracci2000 & @YadaYadaYada The recipes that @Austina linked look yummy! The egg replacer I mentioned, Ener-g, works as a substitute for eggs in recipes, or in boxed mixes like brownies, etc. You can buy in stores all over the place in the PNW, but I'm not sure about other areas of the country. Here's the link for their website: https://www.ener-g.com/products/egg-replacer

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Alistra, I’ll have to see if it’s available here in the NE.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@YadaYadaYada and @stracci2000 applesauce(I use unsweetened), pumpkin puree, banana, ground flax seed(to make a flax seed ‘egg’) work great to replace eggs in baked goods as does the Ener-g egg substitute mentioned above. They all impart a different flavor so keep that in mind when choosing :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I eat Egg Beaters instead of fresh eggs. I couldn’t find them anywhere here in Pa. I found an occasional store brand. I was lucky to get it. We recently went to our other house in Maryland. They had tons of eggs and Egg Beaters! I asked customer service if they were short on them. She said no so I bought three quart containers! I make French toast every morning with a half cup of Egg Beaters..My teeth were dry from smiling this morning! I have no idea why they were fully stocked in Maryland seemingly without a shortage. The fresh eggs and Egg Beaters were a little pricey though.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I went to Wegmans yesterday. They had eggs. 2 dozen large for $9. Crazy prices but better than some others I’ve heard about.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hosting brunch tomorrow for 12.Despite my recent post a few days ago, prices have now jumped. Butter and egg prices are crazy! My game plan is to minimize egg and butter use. I first made 2 Different pie crust recipes One for the ‘quiche‘ ( using lard) and the other for the peach pie using (shortening).I used my Mom’s and Grandma’s old school recipes. By baking a pie, I used less eggs than a cake. Also by using lard and shortening I saved at least two sticks of butter. Interesting the store had the Pillsbury crusts for $2.99. For the casseroles, I selected ones that were not too eggy or buttery. I made a spinach rice casserole that only had two tablespoons of butter and one egg, and the Boursin cheese scalloped potatoes with no butter or eggs. I then constructed a ham, mushroom and cheese ‘quiche’ making the sauce with one egg, half and half and Dijon mustard, spices and of course more cheese. As there are 6 kids coming I will make French toast, cinnamon toast and eggs to order. This will use butter and eggs, but the other dishes will fill tummies. Also no eggs or butter in the Bloddy Mary’s and Mimosas . Will report back tomorrow how all fared….

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to add that I’m not posting here to feel sorry for myself bc if I can afford diamonds, I have no business complaining about the price of necessities. Of course, i buy what i need and i feel blessed to be able to do so. But. I do find it amusing. I’m 49. And I don’t recall when I last lived through such a dramatic inflationary period.

it was the early 90's here in NZ
i had just entered the workforce straight from school but i lived at home still and my dad had a really good job

i made omlete for tea (dinner) tonight with the end of the new year ham
the onion was like a ping pong ball because we have an onion shortage also

usually make a 6 egg one but made it a 5 egg one for the two of us
probably used $4 or $5 worth of cheese though :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I was surprised about such high prices for eggs.. In Myanmar (where I’m currently living) eggs prices nearly doubled during this year together with gas/oil prices. Now eggs costs about 1 USD/10 eggs. But national currency/USD conversion rate is 2 times higher than one year ago, the salaries remained the same. Our salaries are also very low. My husband is cardiac surgeon who works in government hospital and his salary is about 220 USD per month. So he had to work in private hospitals every evening to make something for living. We have four children so expenses are huge. I’m also a doctor- anesthesiologist, but currently cannot work (pregnant with our fifth child), my salary is the same as his. In Myanmar also we have NO government support after childbirth.

there you go
and that puts everything into perspective for the rest of us :(2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went to Costco Thursday and for the first time ever I went into the egg section just to see what was happening. I don't eat eggs. Anyway took a photo for those interested. I do not know what the price of eggs were before the shortage but this price doesn't seem bad for two dozen organic eggs. But again no clue what they cost before the shortage. They are limiting people to two packages (48 eggs) per purchase

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 6.59.20 AM.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a really good price @missy, I just paid $11.99 for 24 eggs and they were not organic!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a really good price @missy, I just paid $11.99 for 24 eggs and they were not organic!

I love Costco. I don't know if the price varies between states/cities but this is in Monmouth County NJ

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At our Costco or Sam’s club, they are average like 3.49 a dozen. But. Selling out fast so if you aren’t there first thing, they are sold out.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

last year we were paying NZ$5,95 for a tray (24?) of #6's eggs (smaller than the usual #7's but not too small) not organic not free range, but on a strick grocery budget we could easierly aford them but this range is now no longer available

the legislation was a long time coming and in theory its not like farmers didnt have time to change but beauracy was slow with farmers waiting up to 3 years for resourse consent to change to barn or free range operations and then the new legislation also changed part way through

i worry how struggling families will now afford eggs as cage free are now $10 doz #6

fel

Shiny_Rock
I have 8 hens presently, and am planning to get some more chicks in April (already ordered.). Last Spring through summer I did a lottery in my local "buy nothing" group where I gave away a dozen eggs a week to the winning number 1-100. If I do that this year, I suspect I will have to make it 1-500 it will be such a popular item.

eggs.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have 8 hens presently, and am planning to get some more chicks in April (already ordered.). Last Spring through summer I did a lottery in my local "buy nothing" group where I gave away a dozen eggs a week to the winning number 1-100. If I do that this year, I suspect I will have to make it 1-500 it will be such a popular item.

eggs.jpg

what pretty colours
what types are your hens?

fel

Shiny_Rock
I have run through the gamut of all different sorts of hens, large fowl and small. The blue layers have been legbars and true Ameraucanas and brown layers are Marans. However, this summer I lost my legbar to ascites and my remaining Ameraucanas are mixes I hatched myself from my original Black Americauna rooster (had to sadly give him up when someone complained.). My bantams are cochins, silkies, a frizzle, and I had a Mille Fleur D'Uccle that I just lost a few weeks ago.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brunch over ! 4 eggs left from dozen and only used 3/4 of a stick of butter for cooking. The lard pie crust was good as peach filling flavorful enough so butter not missed. The Crisco pie crust almost too flakey, kinda dry not so chewy . Again filling very flavorful to mask no butter. My butter crust still is the best but frankly no one noticed and no leftovers. Going to see if my friend who has a Costco membership will get eggs for me with that price! Going to check trader joes first. A guest said her Aldi‘s ( California) had eggs around $5.50 a dozen.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have run through the gamut of all different sorts of hens, large fowl and small. The blue layers have been legbars and true Ameraucanas and brown layers are Marans. However, this summer I lost my legbar to ascites and my remaining Ameraucanas are mixes I hatched myself from my original Black Americauna rooster (had to sadly give him up when someone complained.). My bantams are cochins, silkies, a frizzle, and I had a Mille Fleur D'Uccle that I just lost a few weeks ago.

oh sorry about your rooster
i hope he went to live somewhere nice
we live right on the edge of town so we hear a few roosters here
my friend when we were kids had bantims, i reemebr the silkies
i hope this year brings your chookies health and happiness

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results