shape
carat
color
clarity

Education on emeralds

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ignore that tiny chip; you'll get others to keep it company :) It's not like that is a major factor in the stone's overall appearance.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I would send it back to them to polish out the chip -- they presumably know the stone best and have the most experience with faceting emeralds. For instance if it should not be polished out (due to proximity to the internal inclusions or something like that) then they are most likely to know. They will probably be happy to help -- as regaurdless of whether the chip occured before or after the posted it to you they should stand behind the quality of the products they are selling (including repairing any nicks incurred while it was in their inventory).

Whoops I forgot to say, it is gorgeous congratulations :dance:.
Thanks! I think they would agree if I want to send it back to have it fixed.

I’m guessing you don’t want the hassle and expense of sending a valuable gem back to Colombia to have George polish it out??? Otherwise I agree that they should polish it, However, that being said, the chip is not in a place that a prong will go, and it probably won’t be an issue if you set it. The most important thing is to tell your jeweler, and make sure that he/she is experienced with emeralds. Also tell the jeweler absolutely NO ultrasonic or stream cleaning on the stone whatsoever!!!
No, I don't want the hassle. I am not a perfectionist, and I do not really notice the chip without a loupe. After I decide on a setting and a jeweler, I will let the jeweler know and see if the chip would need to be polished out. Thanks a lot for the reminder.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1FA7E94F-C7C1-439B-B23A-ABEECB61A107.jpeg I caught this in a YouTube video and took a screenshot. This emerald was touted as “top gem quality,” and while the color is probably very good, I spotted something you never want on an expensive emerald, a table fissure. My eyes caught this as it was on a turntable and this is the screen still I captured that really caught and emphasized it. You need excellent vision and/or a loupe to see them, but this is a good example.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking for expert opinions on this emerald, for educational purposes only.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/599159235/07-carat-emerald-engagement-ring?ref=user_profile&frs=1

I wouldn't buy this ring because the inclusions are too much for my tastes (the giant criss-crossing looks jarring to me) and I don't like the setting. But I'm wondering about the color of the emerald. To my untrained eye, it looks to have a pretty blue-green hue, in some shots and more green-green in other shots. Where would you place this color along the continua of too light to nice dark saturation and yellow green to "duck neck teal" green? I don't think it's top color, but would love to know how far away from top color it might be. I also don't know if I see anything that resembles the metallic sheen and/or "oil drop" effect that's been discussed previously. I really want to develop an eye for these things, especially in existing pieces. Unfortunately, I can't find real life examples of gorgeous emeralds in B&M stores around here. Most are unimpressive, even in the better jewelry stores, so I'm looking at online pictures to try and learn.

I'm not currently looking to purchase an emerald or emerald piece, but would love to, sometime in the future.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I dropped my asscher cut emerald on the freaking CEMENT!! I was so careful o_O but it fell anyway from about hip height to the ground. The outside is not chipped and since it is uncerted (I was planning to send to AGS at a later date), I don’t know if what I see inside was there before or after the drop.

It makes me sick to think about it. I’m getting DH to get some stuff from the safe today so I can re look at it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking for expert opinions on this emerald, for educational purposes only.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/599159235/07-carat-emerald-engagement-ring?ref=user_profile&frs=1

I wouldn't buy this ring because the inclusions are too much for my tastes (the giant criss-crossing looks jarring to me) and I don't like the setting. But I'm wondering about the color of the emerald. To my untrained eye, it looks to have a pretty blue-green hue, in some shots and more green-green in other shots. Where would you place this color along the continua of too light to nice dark saturation and yellow green to "duck neck teal" green? I don't think it's top color, but would love to know how far away from top color it might be. I also don't know if I see anything that resembles the metallic sheen and/or "oil drop" effect that's been discussed previously. I really want to develop an eye for these things, especially in existing pieces. Unfortunately, I can't find real life examples of gorgeous emeralds in B&M stores around here. Most are unimpressive, even in the better jewelry stores, so I'm looking at online pictures to try and learn.

I'm not currently looking to purchase an emerald or emerald piece, but would love to, sometime in the future.
I think that’s a very pretty color, a tad lighter than duck neck green, but beautiful nonetheless. With emeralds, you don’t have to buy trade ideal color in order to have a beautiful gem.

Duck neck green example
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzggasaDQBF/?igshid=1wjoys6wnirq5

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I dropped my asscher cut emerald on the freaking CEMENT!! I was so careful o_O but it fell anyway from about hip height to the ground. The outside is not chipped and since it is uncerted (I was planning to send to AGS at a later date), I don’t know if what I see inside was there before or after the drop.

It makes me sick to think about it. I’m getting DH to get some stuff from the safe today so I can re look at it.

Oh no!!! I’m so sorry this happened to you. I hope the stone hasn’t obtained any fractures, either internal or external.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!!! I’m so sorry this happened to you. I hope the stone hasn’t obtained any fractures, either internal or external.

I mean, really really makes me sick to think about it. That is why I put it away for a while, so I could stop wanting to throw up every time I thought about it.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Aaauuggggh! Oh no! If you are able to post pictures, please do so. I hope your emerald is ok and you are not sick over this. Perhaps those on the forum can help you see what happened..if you have pictures of when you first purchased it or from the vendor also post those! :cry2:
-C4C

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that’s a very pretty color, a tad lighter than duck neck green, but beautiful nonetheless. With emeralds, you don’t have to buy trade ideal color in order to have a beautiful gem.

Duck neck green example
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzggasaDQBF/?igshid=1wjoys6wnirq5
Thank you. I thought it was pretty. If I do buy an emerald, it probably won't be top color as I don't think I can afford one in a size reasonable for my chunky fingers, but I want to find something close to ideal color, when I'm ready. Do any of the pictures indicate "sheen" to you? I couldn't clearly identify it, but I thought maybe in the second picture.

My nightmare! I have some smaller gems (3mm hauyne and melee sized demantoids) in gem cases that I've never opened because I'm terrified I'll drop/lose them.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaauuggggh! Oh no! If you are able to post pictures, please do so. I hope your emerald is ok and you are not sick over this. Perhaps those on the forum can help you see what happened..if you have pictures of when you first purchased it or from the vendor also post those! :cry2:
-C4C

Yes, I’ll do that in a little bit, thanks. I’ll try to get pics under the loupe as well. I’m looking for my misplaced asscher right now :confused2: I’m not having a good week. :(sad

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I paid a visit to the Kremlin Armoury Museum & the Diamond Fund recently and was super thrilled. At the same time, I kept thinking that I needed to remember as much as possible to share with fellow PSers. It’s kind of difficult since no photos were allowed and I was way too excited with all the visual stimulations, so my brain didn’t work so well:oops2:! I completely skipped the Gold/Silverware & Royal Carriages displays. All pictures of the important emeralds were from Google.

From the Armoury.

Oklad of Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir - It was placed kind of high. Through glass display case, I couldn’t see the two 100 carats Colombian emeralds well but they did look deep green without too much sheen. Looked a bit “flat”, but again, I couldn’t see them well behind big glass case.

Oklad of Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir.jpg

The “smaller” emeralds used on the coronation dresses/robes were more interesting IMHO. Many of them were emerald cuts so they displayed that parallel sheen. It was frustrating that the gems didn’t come with detailed descriptions. The museum simply labeled them as “precious stones” most of the time.

From the Diamond Fund.

I got even more excited when I knew that I got in but now I regret that I didn’t pay for an audio guide:(2. It was a relatively small exhibition. Inside the dark lit corner room, Left from the Grand Imperial Crown, the Scepter, and the Orb case, something green was “calling” me. It was the super included and flat looking 245 ct (?) emerald pendant (Fabergé?). It might not be “trade ideal” but it sure demanded my attention from a dark display case. It was the first thing I saw from that case.

Emerald Pendant, 245 Carats.jpg

Then as I looked to the lower left, I spotted the 136 ct (?) emerald brooch. “MAJESTIC” was the word that came to mind for that green. It showed many surfaced reached fissures on the table under dimmed light, just like those from this RT picture. I wish the brooch was displayed differently to better show the emerald. I suspected that it might show the Gota de Aceite effect.

136ct.jpg

Overall, I think paying 500RUB extra was worth it to see the Diamond Fund even it was a time limited visit.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ooh that majestic .
I saw the Fabergé exhibition a few years ago in Europe, where they had the existing publicly owned Fabergé jewelry. Well, I felt awful that a heist could not be organized. Mostly for the emeralds.

If you have seen or owned the top from that region, you know that the saturation cannot be equalled by any other. That was why when researching the origin of my find, I was leaning towards Russia. Well, Panjshir is in the region and was owned by the Russians.

I have said this before and I know some may not agree, tiny cracks, chips, scratches, surface reaching fissure, as long as not numerous are part of the nature of emeralds. Nothing to worry about. Well, everything depends on the individual case. I know I will not let anyone touch my Panjshir for these minute imperfections and no one suggested to do so. Somewhat expected on an old, untreated stone and I would die knowing what I know today if it was damaged. It does have the best color I have seen and is very clean and still dunno value exactly and might never fully.

But! I really want a Muzo! My next project! Just to play with both. Muzos have the most glow (and Chivors) and I think that Panjshir do not fluoresce. There are just some things in Colombians I cannot not have. I might start with a Chivor and then get a Muzo. I am talking ring stones. I do also have a collection of earrings, multiple pairs of pears and small rounds. I think I officially lost it and went to the emerald asylum.

@Atwater have you set your stone? She is a beauty and she was my choice as well with the big Chivor being close second. But this one had a calling. Congratulations and thank you for this awesome thread!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@T_L I feel so ashamed but at least you have the same obsession:)))

I saw this ring, loved the setting too! You are right about the inclusions. I really do prefer Very transparent emeralds. At least for rings. But ok with a couple of inclusions. For earrings I can live with more (for now). But that is probably only because I wear big dangles (going into hiding).

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T_L I feel so ashamed but at least you have the same obsession:)))

I saw this ring, loved the setting too! You are right about the inclusions. I really do prefer Very transparent emeralds. At least for rings. But ok with a couple of inclusions. For earrings I can live with more (for now). But that is probably only because I wear big dangles (going into hiding).

I understand that emeralds are included. All of mine are, but you don’t want so many, that the stone looks like it’s filled with cotton balls. Emerald is still supposed to be a transparent gem, not a translucent one, like jadeite for example.

I’m glad you agree!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@T L of course I agree with you! You are an amazing expert here. Apologies if it came out like I am disputing you. I love reading your threads and comments, most of it really resonates with me and is highly educational. This forum is better because of your sharing your knowledge. I bought Ringsrud’s book when a few years ago I first heard from you about it.

Plus, I learn from you, we can all learn from each other and you make me think. I really enjoy that.Sometimes when I read a comment from you I realize I was wrong before.

I do think we agree about clarity. The best emeralds are completely transparent to me but they can have a couple of inclusions of course. Perhaps I took clarity for granted. Your comments on clarity made me think too. I need to be really careful when I buy my next stone because I do not think that I will be happy with a stone that is not clean. Perhaps I need a Chivor stone first and save up for a Muzo. It is just that I am used to duck neck green and love it but the point for me is to have different things. I love your top Muzo and want something like that one day but a Chivor bluer green would be lovely for summer. Ooh this is hard. I want everything

Another one of my problems is that I have a hard time writing as I am not always clear and so hard to find the right words at times. English is not my first language. I realize I confused glow and velvety sheen before when talking about it because of language. But then it also takes time to understand all the quality factors in emeralds.

Awesome thread, glad we have something like this here!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Sunstorm for the kind words. Pricescope is a wonderful consumer forum and I enjoy being a part of it.

bosslady05

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I think they would agree if I want to send it back to have it fixed.

No, I don't want the hassle. I am not a perfectionist, and I do not really notice the chip without a loupe. After I decide on a setting and a jeweler, I will let the jeweler know and see if the chip would need to be polished out. Thanks a lot for the reminder.

Hi! Just wanted an update on your emerald. Did you ever have it set? Thanks for posting your experience with George. I'm in search of an emerald cut emerald and reached out to him recently.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results