shape
carat
color
clarity

EC lovers, advice on this ASET?

meandmyarrow

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, my fiancé and I took a chance and ordered a ring that I had been coveting online for months. It's a 2+ carat emerald cut estate ring by a highly regarded jeweler. The proportions and setting are exactly what I wanted. The GIA report and measurements (depth, table, etc) checked out, however I knew there was no guarantee it would be a great EC. My initial reaction (in pretty terrible incandescent lighting) was disappointment, and after staring at it in various lighting conditions for a couple days I'm pretty sure I'm not happy with the diamond. Specifically, it has a wide pattern of contrast surrounding the center that gives it an overall dark appearance when viewed straight on. I was able to capture this image with my iphone and ASET scope, and it's a very good representation of the patterns I see in real life.

There's a full return policy on the purchase, so my biggest concern is that I'm being too critical or seeing problems that don't exist and rejecting an otherwise amazing ring. Many of you have way more experience picking good stones, and I'd really love to hear your feedback!

I can post actual photos if necessary. The diamond does look gorgeous from some angles in some lighting conditions, but this straight-on view is what bothers me, so I'll start with that.

Thank you!

aset_2_6.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see why strait on it bothers you. It seems to have obstruction that would result in black bars over a fair percentage of it when you're viewing it head on

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think you are being too critical. I would return it and keep looking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results