shape
carat
color
clarity

Earring bling on the cheap

tjkswift

Rough_Rock
My daughter-in-laws birthday is coming up and I'd like to get her some earrings. My budget is around $250. Ideally I would like to find her a pair of earrings that she could upgrade down the road. Is this even possible on this tiny budget? And if so, any suggestions on vendors I should be looking at?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I know it’s a gift, but are you opened to pre owned? I feel like your budget would go much farther on Loupetroop, diamondbistro, or even eBay. $250 is a tight budget for earring with diamonds, however if you went preowned, she could probably sell the earrings later and recoup quite a bit of their cost if you buy with a cautious and careful eye, which is almost like an upgrade policy, right?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter-in-laws birthday is coming up and I'd like to get her some earrings. My budget is around $250. Ideally I would like to find her a pair of earrings that she could upgrade down the road. Is this even possible on this tiny budget? And if so, any suggestions on vendors I should be looking at?

Tell us about her.
How old is she?
Does she wear jewellery?
If so, what’s her style? Delicate and dainty? Big, bold, eye catching?
Do you know what sorts of earrings she already owns?

Forget upgrades (outside of selling judiciously as @anangel described): few vendors offer trade-ins on finished goods, and resetting the stones wouldn’t be worth the cost. IMO this is an opportunity to think outside the standard “solitaire stud” box and get creative.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definately consider eBay. Plenty of bargains to be had, some are preloved but never or barely worn, and a quick ultrasonic clean by a jeweller and you’d never even know!
But do be sure of her style (hence why “pre loved” yet unworn earrings are so often sold :lol:)
$250 will go further if the metal is sterling silver, for yellow gold 10k or 14k will eat up more of your budget.
I’ll have a browse.

Lovesparklythings

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker but had to register to share the deal I just came across.

First of all, you are an awesome mother in law to be considering bling as a gift!

Second of all, please please don’t flame me for providing stones with these specs because honestly unless she is a jewelry expert she would never know. I had bought these and had to return them as they were way too big for my ears but would look small on most people’s. These were $180 CAD when I bought them and have gone down so much even since then (was keeping my eye on them as I’m considering now for my mom for mother’s Day) and they are so pretty and sparkly and such a great price. Not sure why the yellow gold is so much more - even they are a good price. Anyway just a thought - take a peek and see what you think hopefully my link works.

https://www.amazon.ca/Channel-Set-D...4009326&s=gateway&sprefix=diamond+hoop&sr=8-4

Lovesparklythings

Rough_Rock
Lol and I should clarify i didn’t mean you personally would flame me, was referring too all the jewelry experts and those with absolutely beautiful and flawless pieces lol. So much drool worthy bling on here wow

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would forget about something she could upgrade down the road but get something that she would like. Any way to see what kind of jewelry she wears and like? I would not get pearls unless you know she likes them. I have been gifted a pearl pendant, pearl earrings, and pearl string necklace, but pearls are not my style and I don't wear them.
ps even my style-conscious sister like tiffany silver pieces. They kind of go with everything.

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/earrings/elsa-peretti-teardrop-earrings-28827725/

not earrings but maybe even more of a no-brainer?
https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/necklaces-pendants/elsa-peretti-open-heart-pendant-GRP06386/
https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/necklaces-pendants/elsa-peretti-bean-design-pendant-25185137/

otoh if I was shopping for myself, I would get something on etsy, because I love gemstones + silver or gold. You can search in the colored stone subforum for recommended vendors.

Last edited:

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
Have you considered a pair of diamond jackets paired with a set of pearls? Here is a pre-loved example that is close to budget:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Ea...:sc:USPSFirstClass!06460!US!-1&frcectupt=true

You can get a nice pair of 4mm pearls on Amazon for under $30 with 14k posts. I feel like this makes for a nice pair of earrings on a budget and the jackets are so versatile.

The only thing I would look for is that the pearl posts have a bowl shape in the area where the pearl is attached to the post (rather than just a straight post drilled in). This way if the pearl falls off the setting (this can happen) there is a piece of metal that will hold on to the jacket. Most come like this anyhow, just something to look out for :)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered a pair of diamond jackets paired with a set of pearls? Here is a pre-loved example that is close to budget:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Ea...:sc:USPSFirstClass!06460!US!-1&frcectupt=true

You can get a nice pair of 4mm pearls on Amazon for under $30 with 14k posts. I feel like this makes for a nice pair of earrings on a budget and the jackets are so versatile.

The only thing I would look for is that the pearl posts have a bowl shape in the area where the pearl is attached to the post (rather than just a straight post drilled in). This way if the pearl falls off the setting (this can happen) there is a piece of metal that will hold on to the jacket. Most come like this anyhow, just something to look out for :)
This is an awesome idea!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
If you consider pearl studs, maybe Tahitians because black seems more mod than white but is still a pretty safe bet, I think. A nice basic or classic that appeals to a lot of people.

My 8-9 mm Tahitian studs from Pearl Paradise are a staple that I wear constantly. I’ve also given a pair as a gift. And they have a 90 day return policy.

I agree with the others that you probably won’t be able to find an upgrade trade in policy at that price point, or if so, I don't know of anyplace.

Last edited:

tjkswift

Rough_Rock
Wow, you guys rock..I loved all the suggestions. So today I found out my Son purchased diamond cluster earrings for her - so, I've decided to go another route with her gift but I totally appreciate all the great feedback & suggestions!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results