shape
carat
color
clarity

Earring Backs (extra on hand; switching metals)

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Does anyone else have an anxiety over the tension backs wearing out over time and breaking off? I've had it happen to me but luckily the little wing snapped off in my hand so there wasn't a lost stone. This was after 10 + years of wearing it and they weren't large jumbo backs or anything substantial. Thanks in advance!

Question - Do you have back-up tension backs on hand to replace?

Question - If you ever need to replace a tension back, would you feel weird using a silver/brass one from one of your other costume sets to go with real diamond studs? Or would you want to metal to match such as white gold/yellow gold etc... No one would see it but me but I feel a bit silly/OCD about wanting the metal to match but it seems like a waste of money?

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone else have an anxiety over the tension backs wearing out over time and breaking off? I've had it happen to me but luckily the little wing snapped off in my hand so there wasn't a lost stone. This was after 10 + years of wearing it and they weren't large jumbo backs or anything substantial. Thanks in advance!

Question - If you ever need to replace a tension back, would you feel weird using a silver/brass one from one of your other costume sets to go with real diamond studs? Or would you want to metal to match such as white gold/yellow gold etc... No one would see it but me but I feel a bit silly/OCD about wanting the metal to match but it seems like a waste of money?

If I need to buy replacement backs, it depends on the earring: 18k if it’s a stud that I’ll keep on for weeks, or silver if it’s for occasional wear. I’ve also recently discovered that cheap silicone backs are great too!

Whilst it would be mind-clean to match metals with earring backs, I’d rather put the money towards something else :twisted2:

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
If I need to buy replacement backs, it depends on the earring: 18k if it’s a stud that I’ll keep on for weeks, or silver if it’s for occasional wear. I’ve also recently discovered that cheap silicone backs are great too!

Whilst it would be mind-clean to match metals with earring backs, I’d rather put the money towards something else :twisted2:

Appreciate you chiming in! Do you go back to the vendor for a replacement stud that is 18K because as you said in your other message on another thread that you have earrings that might have different thickness to the post? Or do you purchase from an online website that you can recommend?

Ahh... mind clean is the right term with what I'm struggling with though I am a practical gal and feels like the funds should be spent where you can see it. I think my OCD side struggles with a metal front and a different material in the back such as silicone. What's the advantage of silicone and when do you personally use it if you don't mind me sharing!

PS - your ring in your avatar is amazing... like an optical illusion. My mind can't even grasp how it stays on your finger!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Appreciate you chiming in! Do you go back to the vendor for a replacement stud that is 18K because as you said in your other message on another thread that you have earrings that might have different thickness to the post? Or do you purchase from an online website that you can recommend?

Ahh... mind clean is the right term with what I'm struggling with though I am a practical gal and feels like the funds should be spent where you can see it. I think my OCD side struggles with a metal front and a different material in the back such as silicone. What's the advantage of silicone and when do you personally use it if you don't mind me sharing!

PS - your ring in your avatar is amazing... like an optical illusion. My mind can't even grasp how it stays on your finger!

Luckily I’ve not lost a branded earring back yet so I haven’t had to go back to the vendor! Generally I just get them from Amazon or eBay and it’s sometimes hit and miss especially if the post is very thin (on smaller earrings generally), but you can pinch the wings if the earring backs to make them slightly tighter.

TBH I haven’t really pinned down when/why I use silicone - it just so happens that I was in a rush and they were on hand! However, I do find them to be more secure as they’re harder to pull off/seem to have more friction than usual metal backs (excluding jumbo or la pousettes).

If this is in relation to the 2ctw+ martini studs you’re looking to get, it’s worth considering la pousettes - they’re more fiddly but if you will sleep/shower/exercise in them, they’ll be more secure.

And thank you! My ring has a thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...toi-et-moi-ring-6-years-in-the-making.274650/

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Whew... so glad you haven't lost a backing yet! Thanks for sharing the extra information as well. I've keep the la pousettes in mind for the future if my mom ever comments that the jumbo friction backs feel loose. As of now, they seem too tight, which is a good problem to have!

Appreciate you sharing your thread. What a beautiful story you shared from beginning to end. I love the progress and stepping stones as much as admiring the finishing product. Well done!

I have a pair of tiny mini studs (0.2 ct each that was the first piece of jewelry my bf and now DH gave to me). It was that pair where one of the wings broke off, but I didn't lose the important part! Never thought about the diamond actually falling out... how scary but makes sense as there are only 3 points of contact.

000Ed

Rough_Rock
I love and use silicone backs myself. snug and super comfy have a package of them and usually switch them out for the silicone ones. I also sometimes wear the large plastic disc ones for larger earrings with more weight to them

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i would want it to match for no other reason than that a harder metal back might damage my posts and put the whole earring in danger of failing
i do like the big silicone ones though

no i dont have back ups and worse, i have some that are unwearable until i buy some new backs !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results