shape
carat
color
clarity

E-Ring CAD: Opinions Wanted

GTATL

Rough_Rock
I am going the custom setting route and would love to hear your opinions on the CAD images below!!

_1285.png

_1286.png

_1287.png

_1288.png

GTATL

Rough_Rock
A couple more

_1289.png

_1290.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post your inspiration images? What size center stone (specs)? Who is doing the bench-work?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you pick the setting? If so, are you the wearer? If you are not the wearer how did you determine this is the right setting?

GTATL

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy and Rocky!

My girlfriend and I went to a few different local shops to look at settings. She had an "idea" of what she liked but wanted to make sure it was exactly what she wanted and looked good on her hand. It is a good thing we did this because the setting that she had in her mind and thought she wanted definitely changed some.

When we were looking I told her what I had thought about doing and she replied with "good thing we came and looked then". She is real subtle like that.

She found one setting which she really liked fromm the top. She fell in love with the side baguettes. She also really wants the halos even though I think a center stone over 2 cts should stand on its own. But who am I to tell her differently.

She then found another setting which she really liked from the side and all the little intricate details of it. She has a thing for a slight vintage look.

The center stone will be a square cushion. 2.25 ct - 2.75 ct (give or take). H color or better.

The two inspiration photos are below.

I worked with Diamonds Direct. They have a company in California do the CAD images and benchwork. If for some reason I am not happy or the soon to be Fiance is not happy then they will completely redo the setting for up to 6 months after purchase. A few of my friends have used them and both them and the fiances were very happy. Also, my girlfriend has seen their rings and really likes them as well.

img_12346.jpg

img_12347.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That CAD is no where nea the inspiration halo. That halo is delicate and the CAD halo looks like it belongs on the halo of an NFL linebacker's Super Bowl ring. That gallery deisgn is no where near as tight eiher in the profile.

GTATL

Rough_Rock
I was wondering about that as well. The sapphire in the inspiration photo was quite large if I remember correctly. I want to say like 6 or maybe even 8 cts.

I can have them make a revision with a smaller halo and see how that looks. Would you recommend smaller halos around the side stones as well? Any idea of how much smaller to go? 25%, 50%?

My only concern is the girlfriend has expressed many times how much she loves halos. However, if I am going to buy a nice size center stone I don't want a halo drawing away from it.

Thanks for the inputs!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let me think about it. I'll post modification suggestions later.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GTATL said:
I My only concern is the girlfriend has expressed many times how much she loves halos. However, if I am going to buy a nice size center stone I don't want a halo drawing away from it.!

If she wants a halo, give her a halo, regardless of how you feel about them. It is her ring. She will be wearing it every day. Get her what she wants. [emoji1362]

Besides, a refined halo done the right way won't draw away from the center. It will compliment it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I've seen several custom halo settings IRL done via DD... They were very nice. Of course, I have no idea if they came from the same CAD designer as your DD is using... My DD location is in AL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1469074836|4057839 said:
GTATL said:
I My only concern is the girlfriend has expressed many times how much she loves halos. However, if I am going to buy a nice size center stone I don't want a halo drawing away from it.!

If she wants a halo, give her a halo, regardless of how you feel about them. It is her ring. She will be wearing it every day. Get her what she wants. [emoji1362]

Besides, a refined halo done the right way won't draw away from the center. It will compliment it.

I agree. But I don't think that CAD is going to do that.

Okay so, take the point size on the melee to 1 point or less. Tell them that the 'basket" on the gallery is too large. Tell them that the overall setting needs to be MUCH more delicate and that if they need to scale down the diamond melee size, that's fine (they will tell you that the CAD adds 15-20%, and while that is true, the thing is still too bulky).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
msop04|1469074836|4057839 said:
GTATL said:

I agree. But I don't think that CAD is going to do that.

Okay so, take the point size on the melee to 1 point or less. Tell them that the 'basket" on the gallery is too large. Tell them that the overall setting needs to be MUCH more delicate (they will tell you that the CAD adds 15-20%, and while that is true, the thing is still too bulky).

Agreed... CAD needs work. Good thing is DD aims to please! I wonder if they'd cast it in SS before finalizing to show the OP? Might be worth asking about.

GTATL

Rough_Rock
Thanks MSOP and Gypsy!

MSOP, yep it is the DD in AL. They have been great to work with so far. Very much aim to please.

Gypsy, can you help me out with what you mean by "the basket on the gallery" is too large and needs to be smaller? I have spent all my time on researching cushions that I forgot to spend time on setting terminology. Also, can you be a little more specific on what you mean by it needs to be more delicate overall? I assume you mean everything needs to be a little smaller and in better proportion to the center stone?

Also, I took a look at the melee specs and all of them are 0.01 or smaller except for the ones around the main center stone halo and the two larger ones on each side view (underneath the halo, perhaps inside the galley would be where those two are).

I will get DD to take the main halo melee down to 0.01 and also pass along the thoughts on the basket / gallery and overall delicateness once I understand what you mean a little better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results