shape
carat
color
clarity

Dumb question about shade of blue sapphire

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the blue of my antique blue sapphire earrings. I think it is considered a medium to dark blue.

antiquesapphirediamondearrings.jpg

Sorry it's blurry but it does show the color accurately.

Just goes to show you there are many beautiful blues IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all the blues. Here are my sapphires (Peacock, Cornflower, and Indigo). The photo makes them look all the same, but they are quite different IRL.
IMG_2155.jpg

Stunning. So many bluelicous blues.

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
Beautiful jewelry. I prefer the royal or darker blue. I have a question though; are all sapphires in a darker hue heated to achieve that color saturation? And is that a big deal? It is still sapphire and still precious right even if it’s heat treated?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful jewelry. I prefer the royal or darker blue. I have a question though; are all sapphires in a darker hue heated to achieve that color saturation? And is that a big deal? It is still sapphire and still precious right even if it’s heat treated?

Not all sapphires of a darker hue are heated. I have a royal blue Thai ruby that came that way unheated. There's two types of heating. 1) basic heating is typically done to even out the color, and 2) Beryllium diffusion heating is done to take a colorless or low color stone and diffuse the coloring element into it. You'd need lab equipment to tell the difference. However, some types of inclusions only exist in unheated sapphires, so it's easier to differentiate between unheated and heated sapphires, than which type of heat treatment in a heated sapphire. End of story is, there are plenty of darker hue unheated sapphires, but you won't know for sure sure unless you're buying from a trustworthy vendor or the sapphire comes with a lab report.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I really like blue that has some green in it, even 50/50 blue-green, and I don't mind a slightly less saturated color. That's not considered ideal or the most popular color but whatever, it's perfect to me. So I say get the color that makes you happy!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm one that prefers lighter blues...usually.
But have a crush on this stone

Of course its not exactly a normal stone and I know how to make exceptions.... Who gonna be wearing this out for tea right?:lol:

My motto is pick whats perfect for you and what YOUR ideal is, not someone else's.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just chiming I’m here:
My sapphire sides on my 3 stone are dark/royal/purplish. They can look dark in some settings, but they are SO yummy. I was not a knowledgeable colored stone buyer and DH had Brian Gavin make it; I just need to say that while they’re dark they were far from inexpensive - idk if the price was fair or what. They’re unheated - that I know....

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Not crazy at all. Just a matter of preference. Just keep in mind if you're choosing a loose stone, they look darker once set. I thought I was getting a lively cornflower blue but it looks quite a bit darker in the setting. I'm not sure what color you'd call it now but I am still in love with it, and actually like it better a little darker. It almost glows from inside. These were taken on a really cloudy day but you can see what I mean about it 20200727_134837.jpg View attachment 768748 View attachment 768748 20200727_134153~2.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results