carat
color
clarity

Dumb question about shade of blue sapphire

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

I’m not a fan of bright blue sapphires. I prefer navy blue. Are the darker blue considered poor quality? And does a navy blue have a name like how Ceylon blue or cornflower blue has a name?

The loose stone is the colour I don’t care for; the set stone is the blue I do like. Am I crazy?

And sorry- I haven’t look as hard as I should’ve for the answer. Was hoping someone would be kind enough to inform me and save me the trouble :)

Attachments

• 7E594E48-3567-4CB4-A6AD-0C5C8C1CE139.jpeg
    7E594E48-3567-4CB4-A6AD-0C5C8C1CE139.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 29
  • AD924954-E7CE-4795-815F-2CE81FF20FAC.jpeg
    AD924954-E7CE-4795-815F-2CE81FF20FAC.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 23

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Not crazy! Just different tastes!

From your description and example, I’d say you tend to prefer “royal blue sapphires” which heavily came into favor after Princess Diana’s ring. Or maybe even darker than

This website here has a decent breakdown of the different sapphire colors.

Colored stones are all about aesthetics. Your darker stone preference might be seen as liking a lower “quality” but that might just mean it has less mainstream appeal.

Last edited:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's all just personal preference! Darker are considered less valuable but does it matter if that is what you like? Not really. :wavey:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not crazy, as colour preferences are very personal.

The darker stone would be cheaper than the more vivid blue one for certain, so it is in your favour if that is what you prefer.

DK :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires come in all different shades and tones of blue. Something to suit everyone!
Some love the pastel tones, others prefer the vivid tones and others, like you, prefer the navy or midnight blue.
Colour is not a reflection of quality it’s just that, as with all things, supply and demand influences price.
Look at Padparadscha sapphires, it’s not a “new” colour In sapphire it’s now a very “in” and “popular” colour and the prices have skyrocketed as a consequence.
If you love the dark blue tones, look at Australian sapphires.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you have to see them in person to get a real feel though. Especially vivid ones in the shade on a sunny day. If you still feel the same way then it's not crazy, just a preference thing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all the shades of blue. As long as it’s lively and beautiful to you it’s all good. The fact that darker blue sapphires might be less costly is a bonus for you if that’s what you prefer. I am not a colored stone expert but I know what I like and I let my eyes do the judging. I prefer sapphires that don’t look black however so as long as you can see yes it’s blue that’s bluelicious to me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you viewed both different types in person or pictures only?

If you prefer the darker colour, then I'd say are fortunate that the darker type is plentiful and inexpensive. It is pretty much the same as those who prefer O/P and eye clean SI diamonds vs icy white D and VVS. No one can say one is "better" than the other, just different preferences.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@pearaffair I love all shades of blue including darker tones of sapphire, but I think there there is a fine line with the darker tones in that they may just black out. Then you don't really see any blue. I have a sapphire ring that does this and I hardly see any blue at all! :oops2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you viewed both different types in person or pictures only?

If you prefer the darker colour, then I'd say are fortunate that the darker type is plentiful and inexpensive. It is pretty much the same as those who prefer O/P and eye clean SI diamonds vs icy white D and VVS. No one can say one is "better" than the other, just different preferences.

I think I have seen some in person. Back in the “before“ days! Lol!!

I’ll think on this. Thank you so much, everyone, for sharing your knowledge!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair, I don't think you're crazy at all, because I felt the same way when I was buying a sapphire ring LOL. I wanted a darker one, like Diana/Kates. In fact, I remember mentioning on PS that I was worried that the one I was considering looked too light and chrono pointed out it was backlit! I will say, I think mine shows more blue than the Diana ring.

But yeah, mine does black out in low lighting conditions, such as a restaurant at night. At first I was a little bummed but now I just wear it during the day lol. I'm assuming the vivid sapphire you posted wouldn't black out, so that is something to keep in mind. And the darker ones are less valuable. Overall I'm really happy with my ring though.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair, I don't think you're crazy at all, because I felt the same way when I was buying a sapphire ring LOL. I wanted a darker one, like Diana/Kates. In fact, I remember mentioning on PS that I was worried that the one I was considering looked too light and chrono pointed out it was backlit! I will say, I think mine shows more blue than the Diana ring.

But yeah, mine does black out in low lighting conditions, such as a restaurant at night. At first I was a little bummed but now I just wear it during the day lol. I'm assuming the vivid sapphire you posted wouldn't black out, so that is something to keep in mind. And the darker ones are less valuable. Overall I'm really happy with my ring though.

Interesting! Maybe I’m used to seeing the Diana ring. Or maybe I never see really nice sapphires. I will think on this! Would love to see a pic of your ring... :)

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
You will pay much less for darker Sapphires as shown with your pictures. But it is all about what you like. Not what other people dike. Make yourself happy!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting! Maybe I’m used to seeing the Diana ring. Or maybe I never see really nice sapphires. I will think on this! Would love to see a pic of your ring... :)

@pearaffair, I don't think I've ever seen a high quality sapphire either...maybe it's better I don't LOL!

My sapphire is a baby compared to the Diana ring...and it's a more modern setting. here it is in the shade
B078719D-08BA-4F35-957D-63B843001479.jpeg

Stadium lighting

1891B494-0A21-41F5-8E5D-0AA59A5A7BD2.jpeg

indoors
BAFB86DC-03F1-4356-B1CB-B3AF74065F32.jpeg

sunlight
040DC361-E792-4CC8-B102-5F8095354EDB.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@junebug17 Beautiful! Classic and elegant. Love it!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair, I don't think I've ever seen a high quality sapphire either...maybe it's better I don't LOL!

My sapphire is a baby compared to the Diana ring...and it's a more modern setting. here it is in the shade
B078719D-08BA-4F35-957D-63B843001479.jpeg

Stadium lighting

1891B494-0A21-41F5-8E5D-0AA59A5A7BD2.jpeg

indoors
BAFB86DC-03F1-4356-B1CB-B3AF74065F32.jpeg

sunlight
040DC361-E792-4CC8-B102-5F8095354EDB.jpeg

It’s perfect! Where did you find it?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a friend who sent me on a dark blue sapphire hunt. And while I initially tried to talk her out of it..she knew what she loved. She had bought one set in a sterling silver ring which she wore all the time and wanted an upgrade.

The important thing in buying any stone is to make sure you will love how the stone looks/performs in the types of lighting where you will wear it most. Tone aside - look for a well cut stone because that can make a huge difference.

fwiw - I absolutely love the classic look of @junebug17 's ring. I recently bought a preloved ring (from a wonderful PSer) which had a dark blue sapphire. I had purchased it for the setting but was pleasantly surprised how much I actually liked it "as is".

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this post from the '80s? From the "darker-the-better" Thai sapphire marketing days? =)2 Great for mid-day summer garden parties, maybe.

If you really want one that looks like the sapphire on the right, buy a sapphire that is advertised as looking like the one on the left. :lol-2: There are a million web photos like your left picture but almost no gems that look like that.

It should be really easy to get a super-dark, barely-blue sapphire in almost any size. Note that almost no seller photos will accurately depict as this tone or shade (since most potential buyers will scroll right past).

But: I have fallen in love with plenty of odd-ball and undesirable-color stones -- so I really shouldn't throw any.

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
Is this post from the '80s? From the "darker-the-better" Thai sapphire marketing days? =)2 Great for mid-day summer garden parties, maybe.

If you really want one that looks like the sapphire on the right, buy a sapphire that is advertised as looking like the one on the left. :lol-2: There are a million web photos like your left picture but almost no gems that look like that.

It should be really easy to get a super-dark, barely-blue sapphire in almost any size. Note that almost no seller photos will accurately depict as this tone or shade (since most potential buyers will scroll right past).

But: I have fallen in love with plenty of odd-ball and undesirable-color stones -- so I really shouldn't throw any.

Maybe we need to invent a bracelet that shines an intense light at the right color temperature onto our rings, so this isn’t a problem anymore - day or night. :cool2:

Hi!

I’m not a fan of bright blue sapphires. I prefer navy blue. Are the darker blue considered poor quality? And does a navy blue have a name like how Ceylon blue or cornflower blue has a name?

The loose stone is the colour I don’t care for; the set stone is the blue I do like. Am I crazy?

And sorry- I haven’t look as hard as I should’ve for the answer. Was hoping someone would be kind enough to inform me and save me the trouble :)

If you’re crazy - so am I! Haha. I love the deep intense blue much more than the bright blue as well. Here’s the ONE avenue where my tastes don’t swing towards the wildly expensive :D

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha you guys are making me laugh, then drool (wowza!), then laugh again <3

I'm learning loads and think I'm going to wait and try some on in person. Or I will look at fifty billion pictures and then decide...hmm. I really appreciate all the insights though!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all the blues. Here are my sapphires (Peacock, Cornflower, and Indigo). The photo makes them look all the same, but they are quite different IRL.
IMG_2155.jpg

This photo fascinates me.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Recently my sapphire came out of it’s setting and I realised it looked completely different. So what setting I was planning on would have an effect my choice. I do feel like the first sapphire would look very similar to the second sapphire when set.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently my sapphire came out of it’s setting and I realised it looked completely different. So what setting I was planning on would have an effect my choice. I do feel like the first sapphire would look very similar to the second sapphire when set.

Gah. Another layer! I didn’t even think about setting changing the look. Hmm.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@pearaffair Yes depending on what setting you choose it may well effect the colour. I think some posters have in the past recommended wrapping the back of the stone in tin foil to see how it could change in a setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results