shape
carat
color
clarity

Duchess of Sussex

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am mostly getting my news from Twitter & have not heard much ill said of her - not even via random search. This thread got me curious, so I have since found that all if this (call it what you will) has its place too. What I got to see plenty of without trying were beautiful shots if her trip to Morocco.

(changing subject: you might find me sporting white-ish 8DEN when duty calls)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ordered it. Thanks for the rec!

I think I have to order it, too. But how come none of you readers are posting about any books in the book thread? I am the only one writing there and I need some inspiration about what to read. Why are you all holding back?

PS-Years ago I read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Did any of you?

Deb :))

Last edited:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read the whole series!

I like Meg. I think she is darling. I feel bad for her on some level, she has chosen a hard life-one with quite a few perks but also an ugly downside. I hope her relationship with Harry makes up for all the ugly stuff she has to endure.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy

Much like the girls in Steel Magnolias, I wear makeup even sitting around at home. I would probably rather die than make a grocery run barefaced. Lol, I was raised in the ways of all good, vain Southern women! Kind of weird but I can't put on my jewelry until my makeup is done and hair is fixed. It's like my jewels deserve to look back at me put together!

Ok, I can't believe I just admitted that! :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

OMG I’m so glad I’m not the only one feels this way!!!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I’m so glad I’m not the only one feels this way!!!

It's a way of life down here Callie! Most women I know are like this. It was even more prevalent in the small town I grew up in. Maybe that's because you knew everyone and didn't dare look unpolished. My grandmother was in hospice with cancer and even during her final days she asked us to put on her makeup and fix her hair.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@ceg

I see decay in 'unpolished'.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a way of life down here Callie! Most women I know are like this. It was even more prevalent in the small town I grew up in. Maybe that's because you knew everyone and didn't dare look unpolished. My grandmother was in hospice with cancer and even during her final days she asked us to put on her makeup and fix her hair.

I have to admit last night was the first time I wore makeup in at least 6 months and it definitely makes a difference in appearance of course.
I still think I look OK without it and don't feel unpolished or decaying with a bare face LOL.

But I stand by to each his own and what makes you feel most comfortable in your own skin is what matters. No rules here and no judgments on my part. Though it's interesting to be judged for not wearing makeup. :wink2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit last night was the first time I wore makeup in at least 6 months and it definitely makes a difference in appearance of course.
I still think I look OK without it and don't feel unpolished or decaying with a bare face LOL.

But I stand by to each his own and what makes you feel most comfortable in your own skin is what matters. No rules here and no judgments on my part. Though it's interesting to be judged for not wearing makeup. :wink2:

I don't really think it's judgement from others that motivates it, at least me anyway. Vanity comes to mind, lol. Of course there is argument that the two go hand in hand, lol. I just feel better about myself when I put my best foot (face!) forward! :lol::lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really think it's judgement from others that motivates it, at least me anyway. Vanity comes to mind, lol. Of course there is argument that the two go hand in hand, lol. I just feel better about myself when I put my best foot (face!) forward! :lol::lol:

And I am completely for doing anything that makes one feel better about oneself. Anything that lifts our spirits up. We are on the same page!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The bold sums it up for me too. I'm a northerner and also wear makeup even when I'm hanging around the house. Someone may drop by after all. OK, no one ever just drops by. But you never know!

I don't pass judgment over whether or not a woman wears make up but I admit to being silently judgmental about badly applied makeup. It's all I can do to not buy my next door neighbor a 5X magnifying mirror. :lol: She's my age and probably thinks her eyeliner is in the right place, but it is not.

I also periodically clean her beautiful 2 carat diamond engagement ring (which is considered HUGE around here) because she never does. Not everyone cares about superficial things like makeup and shiny diamonds, can you believe it?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am torn about Meghan. I’m an American liberal but she seems inauthentic to me. I’m almost afraid to admit it here! I agree with someone else who said she needs to fit the royal mold a bit and not mold it to fit her. The royal family could take some modernizing, sure, but I feel like she found a juicy role. He does seem super in love with her, though, which is very sweet.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She has to be admired for taking on the British establishment. Lets hope they and the press don't break her like they did to Diana.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at the lovely shimmery sheen on these gorgeous gams!
kate_middleton_a_p.jpg

I suppose all you "natural legs are better" ladies also prefer unstyled hair, no makeup and unadorned wrists, ears, and fingers as well? Meh! Boring!

edited to add: Love her dress too!
Nope I like all those things besides pantyhose Becuase her legs look gross with them, as do all legs in pantyhose.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope I like all those things besides pantyhose Becuase her legs look gross with them, as do all legs in pantyhose.

Do you like bare legs, Niel? Or do you like some other kind of stockings? Or do you like only leggings and pants?

My legs look terrible bare. I'd never be able to wear a skirt or dress unless it was floor length unless I could wear tights or pantyhose.

I'd like your two cents.

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like bare legs, Niel? Or do you like some other kind of stockings? Or do you like only leggings and pants?

My legs look terrible bare. I'd never be able to wear a skirt or dress unless it was floor length unless I could wear tights or pantyhose.

I'd like your two cents.

I like bare legs, myself. And this is not because I’m 20 something. I prefer bare legs on my 60 something mother as well. Even on my 90 year old grandmother in her gardening shorts.
In my opinion it doesn’t hide anything, it just makes everything have a milky old undergarments look to it.
I guess what I’m saying is pantyhose always look like they’re old and tinged by age and wear- even fresh out the box.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like her - but I think she's being absolutely excoriated by the press. Hugely unfair.

Your vocabulary is the highlight of my day.
Thank you.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This..... and add that I don’t enjoy frightening people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd like your two cents.

@AGBF I bet you would look gorgeous in OTK boots and that way show just a glimpse of bare leg and not have to wear pantyhose...just a thought. I remember before I got my first pair I was like oh no I don't think I could wear OTK boots. But they work for everyone IMO. Just have to find the right pair for you.

I also think if you enjoy pantyhose you should wear them. There is no one size fits all with anything in life IMO. Wear what you love and rock what you wear and it works.:appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your vocabulary is the highlight of my day.
Thank you.

Lol - you're very welcome! And your new earrings post is a pretty big highlight of this gloomy day for me, too!! Happy Monday, @yssie. :wavey:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like bare legs, myself. And this is not because I’m 20 something. I prefer bare legs on my 60 something mother as well. Even on my 90 year old grandmother in her gardening shorts.
In my opinion it doesn’t hide anything, it just makes everything have a milky old undergarments look to it.
I guess what I’m saying is pantyhose always look like they’re old and tinged by age and wear- even fresh out the box.

Pantyhose are not for hiding the legs but for enhancing an outfit and for foot comfort in closed toe high heels, imo. Definitely no pantyhose (or heels) with gardening shorts!:P2

But I get where you’re coming from; I feel the same way about tattoos.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@ceg @missy I was not referring to makeup, but of personal habits that keep life on an even keel; in places where tradition has meaning, these things do not coincide as much as rhime (to put use some word; I'd say, this needs to be lived to be believed - making & making use of rules is not part of my tradition for sure, and this certainly stunts talk ad-personam & any explaining of Tradition itself: without laws & generalities - what is there to name!).

Keeping with a small list of 'traditions' certainly colours my life - they are 'exotic' & fun for me to tell their tale when it comes to it ...

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AV_ I think I understand what you mean. I have been disappointed in the dressing down in the US. When I was in school we really made an effort to look our best every day. And oh my, church was really dressy. The kids at my kids' schools look like they are in pjs or workout gear ALL the TIME. It is a constant struggle for me to find a balance between what is acceptable to me and how they fit in with their peers. I am not talking about provocative dress (there is plenty of that as well), just not looking like a slob, lol. Provocative is absolutely outlawed by DH and me!

I will always favor tradition. In fact I once took a personality test that labeled tradition as my number one value. :eek2: Guess that's why a woman with multiple advanced degrees ended up being a housewife!!! :lol::lol::lol:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm one of those dressing down people...I definitely feel the difference in how people react when I do my hair and makeup but I also think I look younger without makeup on my face. I guess I have to pick my moments =)

Re the Meghan Markle coverage, I haven't been following it closely but my feeling is she's an incredibly ambitious person and that rubs some people the wrong way. She could be acting in whatever way she thinks she needs to fulfill her new role, hard to say... that rubs some people the wrong way. And there are just going to be people who are racist/classist/elitist and some of the press is going to cater to that. Doesn't everyone in the british royal family have to go through a press hazing? She is getting hers. Maybe in a few years everyone will love her.

Probably an unpopular opinion here but I think royal families are pretty useless personally and I find it especially odd when a former royal family from a country that has kicked them out keeps passing down titles etc. I enjoy the Royal Jewels thread tho! :lol:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother (from Mississippi) was like this: Even if she wasn’t leaving the house that day she would get up, get dressed, and put her face on.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AV_ I think I understand what you mean. I have been disappointed in the dressing down in the US. When I was in school we really made an effort to look our best every day. And oh my, church was really dressy. The kids at my kids' schools look like they are in pjs or workout gear ALL the TIME. It is a constant struggle for me to find a balance between what is acceptable to me and how they fit in with their peers. I am not talking about provocative dress (there is plenty of that as well), just not looking like a slob, lol. Provocative is absolutely outlawed by DH and me!

I will always favor tradition. In fact I once took a personality test that labeled tradition as my number one value. :eek2: Guess that's why a woman with multiple advanced degrees ended up being a housewife!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I think as long as one is true to oneself generally it is all good. Living your authentic life and no need to make apologies for it. Personally I prefer dressing nicely and rarely dress down when out and about. I do have "cat clothes" that I wear in the house but short of a fire I am not going out in those lol. But on the east coast we are more formal than those on the west coast. Not more right or wrong just different and as long as you feel good about it that is what counts. With a few exceptions IMO.

I think it important to be respectful when attending an occasion that warrants more dressy wear. For example if an affair is black tie I will wear formal evening wear. I think to attend such an affair and not to do that is disrespectful. And I also agree about church/temple etc. It could be old fashioned thinking but I feel it is disrespectful to wear jeans or sweatpants at Church.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think as long as one is true to oneself generally it is all good. Living your authentic life and no need to make apologies for it. Personally I prefer dressing nicely and rarely dress down when out and about. I do have "cat clothes" that I wear in the house but short of a fire I am not going out in those lol. But on the east coast we are more formal than those on the west coast. Not more right or wrong just different and as long as you feel good about it that is what counts. With a few exceptions IMO.

I think it important to be respectful when attending an occasion that warrants more dressy wear. For example if an affair is black tie I will wear formal evening wear. I think to attend such an affair and not to do that is disrespectful. And I also agree about church/temple etc. It could be old fashioned thinking but I feel it is disrespectful to wear jeans or sweatpants at Church.

Totally agree!

So when I am dressed up in black, I pet my black lab. When in white, I pet my loveable white furred mutt, lol!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't realize that Megan was getting bad press. I think there is a bit of envy going on, that one of the British Royals did NOT marry one of their own (neither Royal, British or even 100% white). So there is sour grapes and even if she is the nicest person in the world some will find something, anything negative or critical to view her. I think it is hard enough to be a new bride, and a new mom, without being in the spotlight to the extent the Royals are. I hope they make it.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she is lovely and strong. The British Royal Family is not exactly progressive. However, the Queen seems to have loosened up slightly over the years. Her Uncle the Duke Of Windsor abdicated the throne to marry his love, American divorcée Wallis Simpson. I mean how scandalous! So Meghan is an American divorcée of biracial heritage AND a Hollywood actress. Wheew! That’s a steep order for the Royals I would imagine. She’s not going to quarry favor bucking tradition. Plus the Brits love their tabloids just as Americans do. I just hope the press doesn’t do to her what they did to Diana.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have "cat clothes" that I wear in the house but short of a fire I am not going out in those lol
I am so glad I am not alone in this! I have house clothes and outside of the house clothes (we have four dogs), and never between shall they meet. I’ve actually recently started considering even washing the two separate to try to keep the hair from migrating to my outside of the house clothes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad I am not alone in this! I have house clothes and outside of the house clothes (we have four dogs), and never between shall they meet. I’ve actually recently started considering even washing the two separate to try to keep the hair from migrating to my outside of the house clothes.

I find that the animal hair is left behind in the washing machine and then we just wipe the inside of it with a microfiber cloth so we don't generally have an issue with the animal hair getting on any of the clothes after being washed and we are always wiping down the machines right after the washes. It's amazing though how cat hair is everywhere in our house. And I do mean everywhere. I wake up with cat hair on my face. Oh wait, that's because I sleep snuggled up with a cat right by my face.:lol: Totally worth it.:halo:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results