shape
carat
color
clarity

Dreamer's Reset - Project Thread

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! I love it! It’s gorgeous and I love that you were able to restore so much of the original
wood, etc. Who cares about clean? I just want to see photos!!:lol:

Reactions: AV_

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
As to the style of setting I am looking for, I know I want yellow gold, perhaps with some white gold or platinum accents. I want something that pays homage to antique styles but I do not want something traditional. My current setting is obviously divine. It is a true antique and hand made with the most perfect workmanship I have had the pleasure to witness. But it is very architectural in style. Sharp lines and angles, cool platinum.

greorge1_013.jpg greorge1_014.jpg greorge1_015.jpg
_38295.jpg

This time around I am after something a little more organic and unexpected. As I enter middle age I am trying to embrace an aesthetic I call "Witchy Bog Woman" :evil2: Think, Stevie Nicks forbidding men from entering her back yard, Galadriel daring you to look into her magic pool, and the Witches of Eastwick ready to curse Jack Nicholson. Now picture that attitude and style as a ring :lol:

stevie.jpg
galadriel.jpg
tumblr_nhi01khyzv1tus777o3_r1_1280.png

I'll post some inspiration pics later :kiss2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As to the style of setting I am looking for, I know I want yellow gold, perhaps with some white gold or platinum accents. I want something that pays homage to antique styles but I do not want something traditional. My current setting is obviously divine. It is a true antique and hand made with the most perfect workmanship I have had the pleasure to witness. But it is very architectural in style. Sharp lines and angles, cool platinum.

greorge1_013.jpg greorge1_014.jpg greorge1_015.jpg
_38295.jpg

This time around I am after something a little more organic and unexpected. As I enter middle age I am trying to embrace an aesthetic I call "Witchy Bog Woman" :evil2: Think, Stevie Nicks forbidding men from entering her back yard, Galadriel daring you to look into her magic pool, and the Witches of Eastwick ready to curse Jack Nicholson. Now picture that attitude and style as a ring :lol:

stevie.jpg
galadriel.jpg
tumblr_nhi01khyzv1tus777o3_r1_1280.png

I'll post some inspiration pics later :kiss2:

Hi! I don't know you as I have only been on ps for a few years but from this post - wow, I think you and I would be fast friends! In my next life, I hope to be Stevie Nicks! :lol:

Can't wait to see your ideas on reset!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think CVB can do "witchy bog style"! Have you seen her latest style with black onyx? This ring belongs to @stonewell..love the combination.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/657196178/the-susan-art-deco-style-engraved-french?ref=hp_rv&frs=1

I also love elements of this ring with its extra large talon prongs...Someone has it with the oval stone bezeled in white metal then with the gold prongs coming
over that. Evokes Joan of Arc ...minimal but strong and powerful!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/583679...-solitaire-ring?ref=shop_home_active_61&cns=1
Cant find this one on PS but here it is on IG.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrveWxAnhBI/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dreamer_dachsie yasss I think Caysie's aesthetic is perfect for what you are hoping to achieve. And I love everything she does too. Romantic, organic and ethereal. "witchy bog woman" haha LOVE it. I am planning to reset Bubbalah (some time in the future and into a solitaire) and look forward to your journey. I don't think you can go wrong with Caysie.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Count me in! Such a beautiful stone!

Edit...so how big of side stones are you looking for? It could take a while to find a pair that match your stone.

Figuring this out is where I am at right now.

My center diamond is 8mm and I think I want side stones in the 4.5 to 4.8mm range. Maaaaybe as small as 4mm and maaaaybe as big as 5mm. I want to stay a little flexible.

But I have some serious concerns about whether I will be able to find sides that match this cut style! I never did come across any in all of my searching back in the day. And I just spent a few weeks searching on ebay and didn't see anything promising. Plus, I fricking HATED the searching process :wall: So I will need to reach out to some old cut vendors to help me out. I am planning to do that in the coming weeks.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great to see you again!!! I've Always imagined this stone set in a glorious 3 stone, so can't wait to see what you do with it. Try Adam at OWD and Alex Park on IG....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@ceg Anyone who appreciates a good witchy bog woman reference is a friend of mine! I look forward to getting to know you better! And @missy, @Alex T I'm glad you get the humour! Witchy bog style is both humorous/ironic... AND deadly serious :evil2:

I think CVB can do "witchy bog style"! Have you seen her latest style with black onyx? This ring belongs to @stonewell..love the combination.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/657196178/the-susan-art-deco-style-engraved-french?ref=hp_rv&frs=1

I also love elements of this ring with its extra large talon prongs...Someone has it with the oval stone bezeled in white metal then with the gold prongs coming
over that. Evokes Joan of Arc ...minimal but strong and powerful!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/583679...-solitaire-ring?ref=shop_home_active_61&cns=1
Cant find this one on PS but here it is on IG.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrveWxAnhBI/

Yes! Those are both beautiful rings. They are both totally a witchy bog woman aesthetic, very Gothic -- as in the tragic romance of the moors and fog and heather in Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, of course

jane-eyre-2011-02.jpg

which must not to be confused with the tragic romance of 2000s era Goth rock (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

3516805170e10517ddb5c4fd53d401c3.gif

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo hoo, witchy woman
See how high she flies
Woo hoo, witchy woman
She got the moon in her eye…

Sorry, I couldn’t help the reference to the classic Eagles song...Witchy Woman :P2

Dreamer, I love your ring and stone. :love: You should place a colored stone or *ahem* (moissanite) stone in that beautiful antique setting afterward.
I totally get the vibe you’re looking for! I do think CvB would be a good designer for your project and second contacting OWD as he seems to have a large and varied inventory. I look forward to following along on your reset!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely to see you back Dreamer! I remember you were taking a break from the internet in general which i admired. This seems like the kind of thread where you can go a bit wild even if it doesn't get acted on. Red rubies for the side stones and tragic red velvet for your attire!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great to see you again!!! I've Always imagined this stone set in a glorious 3 stone, so can't wait to see what you do with it. Try Adam at OWD and Alex Park on IG....

@arkieb1 Thank you for the recommendations! I will follow up!

Woo hoo, witchy woman
See how high she flies
Woo hoo, witchy woman
She got the moon in her eye…

Sorry, I couldn’t help the reference to the classic Eagles song...Witchy Woman :P2

Dreamer, I love your ring and stone. :love: You should place a colored stone or *ahem* (moissanite) stone in that beautiful antique setting afterward.
I totally get the vibe you’re looking for! I do think CvB would be a good designer for your project and second contacting OWD as he seems to have a large and varied inventory. I look forward to following along on your reset!

@Sandeek Um. Hello. Yes to that song thank you very much! Big Eagles fan right here! Have you seen the documentary about their career on Netflix? It's so good! And thank you for your encouragement and suggestions!

Lovely to see you back Dreamer! I remember you were taking a break from the internet in general which i admired. This seems like the kind of thread where you can go a bit wild even if it doesn't get acted on. Red rubies for the side stones and tragic red velvet for your attire!

@Polished you are positively reading my mind about rubies :love: I have been thinking about options other than diamonds in case it proves too hard to find the kind of diamond cuts I want (or maybe, just because color in my ring would be amazing), and rubies or red spinel are my top top choice. I LOVE red gems next to diamonds! I even ordered a couple of 4mm synthetic rubies from Gem Line to see how they might look!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
These WWW ?

I love your current setting & the idea of doing a starkly different one now. ('bog ring'? - www & the same institutions documents well the history of diamond cutting up to earlier versions than yours... )

rambling

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
These WWW ?

I love your current setting & the idea of doing a starkly different one now. ('bog ring'? - www & the same institutions documents well the history of diamond cutting up to earlier versions than yours... )

rambling

@AV_ The rings at that second link are amazing! Lalique really had a vision. But when it comes to bog woman aesthetic, this one is the absolute winner. It is so ugly it is magnificent (from the same IG account).

lalique3.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I have reached out to Adam at OWD and Grace at Jewels by Grace about possibly sourcing my side stones. I haven't heard from Adam yet, but Grace has been very kind and helpful as always.

Unfortunately, she thinks it will be exceptionally difficult to find a matched pair in this cut style. Of course! If I had an OEC it would be a slightly easier prospect (I mean, we are talking degrees of difficult here).

I suspect that because the type of cuts I am after are so close to MRB proportions, a lot of them were recut over the years.

Orrrr..... some of them may be lurking about, hiding in the big virtual diamond inventories :twisted2: Look at this huge 2.5ct+ American Cut beauty I found on Blue Nile? A mighty familiar facet pattern... And kozibe!

upload_2019-2-18_19-14-29.png

Or this transitional stunner with checkerboard faceting and the most beautiful, chaotic patterning when it moves :love: And H VS1 at over 1.25cts! Wow.

upload_2019-2-18_19-22-47.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyway, both of those beauties are to big, but I did find this little cutie and I bought it over the weekend! Blue Nile has free returns within Canada (no need to ship back across the border), so I thought it was worth checking out.

potential side 1.jpg
Now, its not identical to my stone. But the thing to remember is that an 8mm diamond will always have very different optics than a 4.6mm diamond, even if the cuts were identical. The facets are dramatically different sizes and so the stones will handle light differently (This is also the case with precision cut MRBs). So what I am after is more... a family resemblance. I'm not looking for twins! Just cousins... and maybe distant ones at that!

So this diamond is definitely in the same "family" and my 8mm in that it displays arrows and is a cut that transitions between the OEC (very short lower girdle facets + an open culet) and the MRB (shallower crown + larger table + decent optical symmetry). She has very weird numbers, but Blue Nile has added some *very* nice video technology since I was last online, and when I saw this cutie in motion the optics looked lovely. My only concern is whether the table size and crown height will be too different from my current diamond for my visual tolerance. But I can only know by seeing it in person.

I should get it early next week and I'll post photos when I do!

Attachments

• potential side 1 report.jpg
    potential side 1 report.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 29

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Dreamer, I think I joined just a little before you got busy with other things. I have to say I think I fell in love with George before I knew I had begun. ;)2

Your stone and setting burrowed itself deep into my subconscious and I think it inspired my eventual 8 sided setting.

I am excited about your current project and can’t wait until you have a finished project. A three stone is just perfect and I have wanted one for a while too. YOur discovery on BN is a treasure. Hope it’s a good fit. And I think Caysie will be a great match for your sensibilities. Can’t wait!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dreamer_dachsie, I am so happy to see you posting again and so very happy that you are on the other side of your illness and on your way to recovering fully. That is the best news. Hope your new project is easy and perfect! Can't wait to see it! Welcome back with big hugs.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I could wear a ring like that - without the fool's crown though; it seems meant for a pearl with an exceptional flame pattern (conch & such).

The chase for a pair of outré RBC will be fun!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Hi dreamer_dachsie,
I'm new to PS and found your Dream half eternity on Brian Gavin and I am really interested in that as a set!
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...dream-half-eternity-truth-head-platinum-5498p

I know it has been about 10 years since you had the ring created and I wanted to know how you like it and any changes or adjustments you would make to it?
So sorry if this is not where I should post. Thank you so much for your help. I love your George!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, Dreamer!!! So happy I "found" you on that other thread! Our youngest daughter got engaged New Years weekend, so I have been immersed in wedding planning the last couple of months and just glancing in here occasionally!

Caysie has made several things for me and I think she is incredibly gifted in design. I can't think of anyone who could get the aesthetic you are describing better than her. The complaint I have heard most is that the projects sometime take longer than expected, and that usually happens when she has to source custom cut stones for the setting as she has no control over that. Other times her bench is swamped. She is wonderful, though, and I never care how long my pieces take because they are so awesome when they come! I got one for Christmas/anniversary and haven't posted it yet because I decided to send it back to get a different kind of clasp on my chain. Plus I just haven't had time to take pictures.

I love your idea to make your ring a three stone! And yes, since smaller stones are going to be harder to see the facet patterns, I feel sure you can access tranny's that would work with your George! It may take time, but I feel like that is possible. If not, Caysie could get Yoram to custom cut a pair for you, but that likely would be a bit more expensive. I know you prefer old cuts anyway, so I am sure eventually a pair can be matched! I have long wanted a three stone ring, but I already feel self-conscious about my 2.3 ct AVR and think side stones would just be too much bling for my extremely casual lifestyle. I hope to make one eventually even if it's with a sapphire center, or something. I'll be looking forward to following your thread!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi dreamer_dachsie,
I'm new to PS and found your Dream half eternity on Brian Gavin and I am really interested in that as a set!
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...dream-half-eternity-truth-head-platinum-5498p

I know it has been about 10 years since you had the ring created and I wanted to know how you like it and any changes or adjustments you would make to it?
So sorry if this is not where I should post. Thank you so much for your help. I love your George!

Hi @bling_dream19 I sold my Dream half eternity back in... I dunno... 2012? So I don't think I can help you! Good luck in your search!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Dreamer, I think I joined just a little before you got busy with other things. I have to say I think I fell in love with George before I knew I had begun. ;)2

Your stone and setting burrowed itself deep into my subconscious and I think it inspired my eventual 8 sided setting.

I am excited about your current project and can’t wait until you have a finished project. A three stone is just perfect and I have wanted one for a while too. YOur discovery on BN is a treasure. Hope it’s a good fit. And I think Caysie will be a great match for your sensibilities. Can’t wait!!

@LLJsmom I feel like we may have crossed paths back in the day, but regardless I am so happy that my ring may have helped inspire you! Your jewels, including your beautiful octagonal bezel, are amazing and I have very much enjoyed touring your treads as I have walked down memory lane the last few weeks! Apparently I have been wanting a three stone for over a decade (judging by my embarassingly-high number of treads I have posted on the topic! lol It seems three stones are having a bit of a renaissance this year and I'm happy to be a part of it. Maybe you will join the convoy too ;)2

@dreamer_dachsie, I am so happy to see you posting again and so very happy that you are on the other side of your illness and on your way to recovering fully. That is the best news. Hope your new project is easy and perfect! Can't wait to see it! Welcome back with big hugs.

It's lovely to see you again, too, @luv2sparkle!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Dreamer! Freshly-minted PSer here, but I have fallen quickly and hard for old cuts of all persuasions. Three stone? Yellow gold? Bog women and the Eagles? This seems like just my kind of thread :)

No recommendations here that are different from what has been mentioned previously, though I am sure if you let Caysie know that you are looking for side stones when you reach out to her, she would also be happy to work on sourcing something alongside your own efforts. You never know what she has in her networks...

If you are going for a "resemblance not twins" approach and are considering trannies as a sidestone option, I am wondering if a killer set of OECs is off the table? The proportions of a tranny may be closer to your (gorgeous!) stone, but, to me, it seems that the facet pattern is visually more similar to an OEC. Just a thought...

I will also have to learn your secrets for how to find hidden old cuts in the BN inventory.... :roll

Excited to follow along!

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
New here too, but I can't help thinking your magnificent stone dressed up as a CVB "witch bog woman" is going to go straight to the "iconic pieces" thread. Can't wait to follow along!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey DD! Any more updates? have you decided to work with Caysie? I bet she'll come up with something so uniquely "you" for sure. Can't wait to see your development. I'm still kind of a plain jane with a little flair that hasn't changed in 2 decades... I'm always fascinated watching others.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie You got me thinking - what I'd expect to see on a bog lady's ring finger:
- a wreath or a knot - in diamonds

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone!

Well my little cutie off Blue Nile arrived and I am quite satisfied with it! I think I will take a little more time to look at it in different lighting before I decide for sure, but as of right now, I think it is a really nice companion for my Georgie.

I did a very "quick and dirty" photo shoot during the last fleeting glimpses of sunshine. Yeesh its hard to photograph diamonds :lol: And how are they always so dirty?? I haven't done a diamond photo shoot in about five years! lol I basically just pointed the camera and hoped for the best, and I have to say, mama's still got it :evil2:

So feast your eyes on little Georgie junior - a lovely little transitional cut diamond hiding in the inventory of MRBs on Blue Nile, 4.6mm, 0.33ct, J, SI1, Good Cut (GIA).

DSC00564.jpg

Arrows for funsies.
DSC00575 (2).JPG

DSC00572 (2).JPG

Guest appearance by my OEC five stone (before she goes off to her new home) showing the different facet patterns. (Forgive the apparent bog water on the new transitional! lol Diamonds are so weird with color).

DSC00570.jpg

So why do I think its an old cut? The facet patterning with only 65% lower girdle facets, the slightly large culet, and the bruted girdle suggest its an oldie. Though I suppose we can never know for sure. But still, I choose to believe :whistle:

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should add, Jr has a very large table at 64% whereas George has a table around 50%.

potential side 1 report.jpg
(Edit: I blacked out the report # bc I was going to post it before I bought it and didn't want someone to snake it from me... I realize now it makes me seem like a weirdo lol)

But in person it doesn't matter. Any small differences between the cuts are dwarfed by the relative size difference between the stones. I think Jr is a little less tinted, too (my big diamond is in the K range, and bigger stones do show more tint), but I don't think it will be an issue when worn, its a very subtle difference.

Honestly, in person in real viewing difference you cannot see the faceting on Jr at all. Because of that, I have been thinking about getting MRBs for sides. It would certainly be easier! But there is a fluidity and liquidity to the light play in these kinds of old cuts with their larger facets, and I can see that in Jr, even in this tiny size. And I do like to take Macro photos of my diamonds, and I don't think MRBs would be as satisfying for me as old cuts. So all in all, I am inclined to keep Jr and hunt for another family member to join the crew.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results