shape
carat
color
clarity

Dreamer's Reset - Project Thread

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hiya everyone! I haven't been around in a while, but I am embarking on a new project so I thought I'd come see if any of my old friends are still around and want to play.

I spent the last couple days lurking in SMTB and checking out some old threads. It's fun to see what's changed and what's stayed the same. I see some new faces, but lots of familiar ones too! Old cuts are as popular as ever, maybe even more so than the last time I was here. I see that some of you have been very very bad girls and acquired very very huge rocks! :halo: Is four carats the new two carats? I sure hope so! And I see so much yellow gold! And three-stones galore! I came back at the perfect time :twisted2:

The last few years have been a whirlwind with no time for diamonds. I spent the better part of the last few years renovating a 100 year old house. I guess my love of old things knows no bounds! I also got tenure at my job. And I had a health crisis that I am thankfully recovering from now.

And I still love my George! But she needs a new home. My ring size changed quite dramatically as a result of my illness, and I don't want to compromise my glorious antique setting by stretching her beyond her limits. For the past two years, my dream ring has been languishing in a drawer! C'est dommage! :knockout: Something must be done.

So I'm going to reset my precious into... drum roll please... a three stone! I'm finally gonna do it! :lol: For realsies! And I'm gonna document the process in this thread. Who wants to come along for the ride?

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So excited for you, and looking forward to your project!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So who is this George I am talking about? She is an Early Ideal Cut, 1.89ct, J-K color, SI clarity. Sheer perfection for the type.

And here are some pics and information from my other thread.

From reading Al Gilbertson's book I think my stone is from the 1920s - 1940 at the latest, mostly because of the length of the lgf [i.e., ~ 70%] and the table being as small as it is [i.e., ~50%]. Of course, I am far from an expert on this stuff, its a huge topic -- history of diamond cuts. Mine seems to fit the bill for what he calls the "European Cut" or the "American Cut": crown and pavilion angles similar to an MRB, but a table smaller than MRB but larger than OEC, medium culet (though those are all over the place in that time period), and medium lgf. I think the length of the star facets also helps date a diamond, but I don't know what mine are. From his book there certainly were formulas back then for ideal cuts, but people seemed to differ in what that ideal formula was.

greorge1_010.jpg
greorge1_033.jpg greorge1_040.jpg george1_037.jpg george1_040.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, I’m off topic here, but I wanted to tell you how nice it is to see you back! Your enthusiasm and generous knowledge are a big reason I’m into antique cut diamonds. I am sorry to hear about your health crisis and hope for your continued recovery. Welcome back!

Last edited:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, how exciting!!! Looking forward to following your journey!! (I'm re-setting my cushion into a 3-stone next month. Hooray for 3-stones!!)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So excited to follow your journey!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so good to see you back Dreamer! I often think of you and wonder how you're doing. Yay for your exciting new project! I've always loved reading your threads and am super excited for this one.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, what a unicorn George is...truly a stunning antique stone! I cannot wait to see what kind of setting & side stones you decide on. This will be a fun thread to follow!

That OEC I was fortunate to purchase from you years ago is now in a BGD plat Barbara pendent, she gets a ton of love over here.... :love:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
great to see you posting again dreamer - you've been missed - I am totally along for the ride - this three-stone project is going to be a beautiful journey

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_d, what a delight to see you posting again. You won’t know me at all but I’ve read so many of your old posts on older cuts!
I’m sorry you’ve had health challenges but hope you’re through the other side and better now.
I love your George and her octagonal setting - will you be keeping that sort of frame when you reset into a three stone?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @dreamer_dachsie, so nice to see you posting again. Glad you are feeling better and long may that continue.:appl:
I am looking forward to following your reset journey. :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer - I thought you were gone for good! So wonderful to 'see' you again - it's been ages!

Can't wait to see your reset journey - you know I love a good three stone!!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome back! I'm new here but a fellow fan of old cuts! Also looking forward to supporting and encouraging you on your journey. Just remember there is no such thing as 'too many pictures' along the way. :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so happy you came back, you've been missed! Very exciting project, I can't wait to follow along! I'm sorry to hear that you had a health crisis, and wish you continued recovery and strength.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, I think George is gorgeous and I look forward to seeing her/his new 3 stone home.. it's a gorgeous stone! hope you are feeling Aok! and wb!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!
Count me in along with the ones who have already said it so well:
- Here’s to wishing you continued recovery
- have learned much from your old cut topic posts
- glad to see you back here with an exciting project journey to share
- I’m also in the thick of a three stone OEC ring project

Best wishes!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in! Such a beautiful stone!

Edit...so how big of side stones are you looking for? It could take a while to find a pair that match your
stone.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So nice to see you @dreamer_dachsie!! I’d love to see photos of your house reno...I’m a sucker for all things older too! Glad that your health crisis is behind you and you are back to planning blingy projects!! I can’t wait to see what direction you go in with your three stone!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Dreamer! Great to see you. Excited to follow along with your 3 stone!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m another one who has read your posts & i’m definitely with you on this exciting journey! :appl:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome back! Following along too. Can't wait to see what you pick!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello again everyone!:wavey: Thanks for the warm welcome back from both new friends and old. I'll do some personal replies after a wee update.

So I have spent the last week or so trying to get the "lay of the diamond land" again! I haven't been on PS or really even looked at anything jewelry related in at least two years. I spent some time going back through all the SMTB threads I missed to try and get a sense of the current fashions and designers du jour. What fun!

And in terms of my project, I have decided on a designer I would like to work with... Caysie van Bebber of CVB Inspired Design! I just love her design aesthetic, especially her most recent work. And obviously, she is PS approved by some of the most... discerning (ahem :lol:)... clients I know! I am very excited about this decision. If anyone would like to share details about their experience -- how did you reach out? How did you communicate? How long did your project take? Did she source side gems for you, and if so, how did that go -- I am all ears!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
They have made some nice upgrades to the posting formats since I was last here! Loving this multi-quote thingy and the "like" button! lol

Dreamer, I’m off topic here, but I wanted to tell you how nice it is to see you back! Your enthusiasm and generous knowledge are a big reason I’m into antique cut diamonds. I am sorry to hear about your health crisis and hope for your continued recovery. Welcome back!

@LightBright Thank you so much! It means a lot to me that the things I have written live on in this community and have helped people come to love old diamonds the way that I do!

Yay, how exciting!!! Looking forward to following your journey!! (I'm re-setting my cushion into a 3-stone next month. Hooray for 3-stones!!)

@KristyDarling I think I read somewhere that you were planning a three stone! And iirc, you are working with CVB? Have you shared the details of your ring anywhere?? I would love to know more.

It's so good to see you back Dreamer! I often think of you and wonder how you're doing. Yay for your exciting new project! I've always loved reading your threads and am super excited for this one.

@Dandi How sweet, Dandi, I remember you fondly too and I can't wait to see your new five stone completed! It looks amaxing!

Dreamer, what a unicorn George is...truly a stunning antique stone! I cannot wait to see what kind of setting & side stones you decide on. This will be a fun thread to follow!

That OEC I was fortunate to purchase from you years ago is now in a BGD plat Barbara pendent, she gets a ton of love over here.... :love:

@sarahb I'm so glad! Anything more than a few years ago is all a blur to me, but do you have the lovely 7mm I VS2? I would love to see a photo! (feel free to post here!)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_d, what a delight to see you posting again. You won’t know me at all but I’ve read so many of your old posts on older cuts!
I’m sorry you’ve had health challenges but hope you’re through the other side and better now.
I love your George and her octagonal setting - will you be keeping that sort of frame when you reset into a three stone?

I think I am through the other side of my illness, thank you for your well-wishes. Still recovering, but well enough to think about frivolous things like diamonds again! And that's a good thing!

I don't want to do and enclosed setting like I have now. I'll post more about this in a bit, but I want to see a bit more of my diamond!

Hi @dreamer_dachsie, so nice to see you posting again. Glad you are feeling better and long may that continue.:appl:
I am looking forward to following your reset journey. :love:

Hi @missy! So happy to see you! And I see you have a lovely new treasure. Hubba bubba! :love:

Dreamer - I thought you were gone for good! So wonderful to 'see' you again - it's been ages!

Can't wait to see your reset journey - you know I love a good three stone!!

You are the Original Three-Stone queen in my eyes @MissGotRocks, and I am loving the proportions on your new ring, too!

Hello and welcome back! I'm new here but a fellow fan of old cuts! Also looking forward to supporting and encouraging you on your journey. Just remember there is no such thing as 'too many pictures' along the way. :)

Oh, I love pictures! I will need to dig up my old camera, I hope I still have it! lol Gotta brush up on my photo skills!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So nice to see you @dreamer_dachsie!! I’d love to see photos of your house reno...I’m a sucker for all things older too! Glad that your health crisis is behind you and you are back to planning blingy projects!! I can’t wait to see what direction you go in with your three stone!

So nice to see you @yennyfire! You know, lots of people have asked us for house pictures and I never get around to posting any because I always forget to do it when the house is all clean and neat! lol It is a rare occasion with two active boys in the house. But I will share that our house was built in 1908! We were able to salvage the original old growth fir floors, the beautiful bay window in the living room, the original coal fireplace surround, and the original staircase (but not the banister). We could not salvage the original wood siding - it had been hidden under vinyl siding for 40+ years and had rotted. But we were able to custom mill new siding to the same profile! So from the outside, our house looks almost exactly like it did over 100 years ago ... even down to the color!

Here is a photo of my kids on the front steps right after we moved in.

front1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results