shape
carat
color
clarity

Dream blue spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 11:48:03 PM
Author: GemRite
I was pointing out the spinel listed on Ebay listed as being diffussed, was the exact same color of the 19k stone. They admit that they have been diffussed. I have seen a lot of Tanzanian spinel rough and Madagascar spinel rough, but I have never seen that kind of blue before. My two cents. There has been a lot of discussions on the subject of the treatments that they can do with diffussion. Just like the red andensine, it was diffussed. Colored Stone magazine has a good article about it. http://www.colored-stone.com/stories/sep08/andesine-report-followup.cfm

Just some food for thought.

Date: 9/12/2008 7:50:39 PM
Author: GemRite

Hello John,

Seems as though there has been quite a lot of "diffusion hysteria" about lately. While it is noble to spread the word about treatments in order to prevent the gem or jewelery buyer from making a mistake they will regret later. On the other hand though spreading false rumors IMO is of no help either. Now I have no doubt that you have seen SYNTHETIC spinels the color of the CP stone. My question though is about your statement "I have seen this color spinel before, it was a diffused spinel." Can you provide any info here supporting your statement?

BTW there is some really nice blue spinels coming out of Vietnam right now. Not much material but VERY nice color.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 11:11:04 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 9/9/2008 5:25:20 PM
Author:colormyworld
Maybe one day one of these will come along in my price range. Today is not that day though. So much for fine blue spinels being less pricey than sapphire!!!

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=2028
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Can you find a matching stone? I need earrings...
31.gif

LS

LS I am pretty sure I can find a matching pair. It is just a question how long you are willing to wait. If unwilling to wait it then becomes a question of budget size. By this I mean that stone listed at cherry picked could always be recut into two stones with precision cutting. I can''t believe I just said that!!! Even thinking of recutting that stone gives me the chills.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
CMW,
2.gif

GemRite

Rough_Rock
Not trying to spread hysteria. I said that the 19k dollar stone matched the color of a spinel being sold as heat diffussed on Ebay. I also said that it is the only time I have seen that particular color of spinel. The only way to know if the 19k dollar stone was diffussed is to get it tested, and if you are spending that kind of money I would suggest it. As far as the article on diffussion, this is FACT not speculation. The people stated that they diffussed the spinel on the ebay auction. They have found that the red andensine was treated through diffussion, and the treaters admitted it. Hysteria, no just facts about the new treatments they are doing now. Read the article, it is a published fact. They never admit they treat the stones until someone comes out and proves it. They were selling red andensine as UNTREATED all NATURAL!! Guess what they lied. Period. Not only did they lie about it being treated, they lied about the orgins of the gems. Stating that the red andensine was coming out of Burma,Africa, and other locations. Nope they were from Mexico!! They admitted they treated them after someone proved it. Just like with sapphires. It is a pattern of deception. All that I said here is not a guess, do some research and read the articles published. Now they are researching the tourmalines, and we'll see what they find and publish on it. Looks they have a good start so far.
Food for thought......

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-LARGE-PRINCESS-CUT-NAVY-ROYAL-BLUE-SPINEL-5-CTS-VVS_W0QQitemZ120303185733QQihZ002QQcategoryZ110873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This stone is listed as being heat diffussed. I also listed the article about the treatments published by Colored Stone Magazine a few replies above.

An article on the treatments done to Tanzanites!! Just a little more info.

http://www.colored-stone.com/stories/may08/tanzanite.cfm

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi John. I have no problem at all with anything you've said.

My problem is you've seem to have missed the GIA certificate on the Cherrypicked.com stone which states that is a natural stone.

This puts it in a whole different category that the EBay scam stuff.

When you advise to have it checked out, are you suggesting that the GIA report is not credible, or that it needs to be double checked?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree John. I am talking about spinel and you seem to want to discuss andesine/ labradorite.

GemRite

Rough_Rock
I never said the one from cherry pick was treated, I said the color looks remarkably like the other one that is all. As long as GIA tests for diffusion in natual Spinels, then I would have to say it is good. But I would still drop it in immersion fluid to have a look for myself, for that kind of money! Just never see myself paying that much for a 2 carat spinel. I guess I overlooked the GIA cert on the stone. I wasn''t trying to split hairs, just the 2 stones of the exact color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that kind of money, I''ve have an independant coloured stone appraiser look at it first and do all the necessary testing, cert or no cert.

GemRite

Rough_Rock
Agreed :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results