shape
carat
color
clarity

Dream blue spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe one day one of these will come along in my price range. Today is not that day though. So much for fine blue spinels being less pricey than sapphire!!!

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=2028
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
HOLY COW. That seems wrong! My spinel is under 500 and it''s a full carat with IF clarity...how on earth could this one cost so much? Jeez.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
CMW,
Sob.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
The three most important things about colored stones is color, color, color!!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
True, true, true. This one has no grey.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet, I just had my B-day. I am open to belated gifts.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
CMW dear, I just got married.
9.gif
Happy Birthday!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Uuuuummmm, your present is in the mail. You have not recieved it yet? I will just have to have a long talk with the USPS.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pink spinel, right? Thank you.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Uh, yeah that's right. The Mahenge.

BTW thank you for the happy b-day

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wnat my spess? I can''t afford the blue.
9.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 5:31:32 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
HOLY COW. That seems wrong! My spinel is under 500 and it's a full carat with IF clarity...how on earth could this one cost so much? Jeez.

Not to mention the cutting.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder how the vendors picture would compare to what is received in the mail. Blue spinels are terrible about changing color when seen in various lighting conditions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2008 5:31:32 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
HOLY COW. That seems wrong! My spinel is under 500 and it''s a full carat with IF clarity...how on earth could this one cost so much? Jeez.
When the colour is tops (pure hue and vivid saturation), coloured gemstones can cost MUCH more than diamonds. Not so good ones can be had for very cheap and is plentiful but that unbelieveable blue spinel is gorgeous. This is the first time I''ve seen something so beautiful and I''ve been shopping for one like it but of course, with a MUCH smaller pricetag.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2008 5:45:20 PM
Author: colormyworld
Uh, yeah that's right. The Mahenge.

BTW thank you for the happy b-day
Ahem...I think I will be expecting a pressie for my birthday next year from CMW. Happy belated birthday CMW! Hint: A little spinel in situ would do.
11.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That baby is the colour of a fine hauyne. Except much harder and in a decent size (faceted hauyne above 2cts? that would be incrediable!).

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I must admit that I didn''t even know that spinel could BE this color- what a remarkable stone!

ribbit

Rough_Rock
I''ll take two! ;-)

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Holy Crap!
6.gif
That is one of the most incredible cobalt spinels I''ve ever seen. I guess the price doesn''t surprise me too much, given the rarity. Now, where is that spare change I found under the couch the other day......

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2008 5:25:20 PM
Author:colormyworld
Maybe one day one of these will come along in my price range. Today is not that day though. So much for fine blue spinels being less pricey than sapphire!!!

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

30.gif
Oh come on CMW, can''t you afford a mere $19k??
3.gif
Here is a Belated birthday wish is blue! I hope you had a great one...even if you didn''t get the blue.... (boohoo!)

Happy Birthday CMW!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

GemRite

Rough_Rock
I have seen this color spinel before, it was a diffused spinel. It reminds me of it, I have never seen a spinel this color that was natural. http://cgi.ebay.com/40-LARGE-PRINCESS-CUT-NAVY-ROYAL-BLUE-SPINEL-5-CTS-VVS_W0QQitemZ120303185733QQihZ002QQcategoryZ110873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem It''s is the exact same color! And they atleast tell you that it was diffussed here. I would be concerned. They have learned to diffuse about all gems. There is an articcle that is going to be realeased really soon about the treatment of tourmalines by diffusing them. I will link it once it is released. A friend has been working on it for a period, along with other people in the industry.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
There you are, CMW! The current bid is only $1.32 plus shipping. Looks like one has come along in your price range.
9.gif

So much for spinel generally being untreated.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
shinyrocks,
How do you know that it''s a cobalt?

John,
I heard of a spinel treatment that the labs can rule out with only 99% certainty. Is that what you''re referring to?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 11:11:04 PM
Author: LostSapphire

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Can you find a matching stone? I need earrings...
31.gif

LS
Here they are, LS. http://cgi.ebay.com/14-EXTRA-FINE-BRILLIANT-TOP-ROYAL-BLUE-SPINEL-4-CT-VVS_W0QQitemZ170260574535QQihZ007QQcategoryZ110873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and

http://cgi.ebay.com/14-EXTRA-FINE-BRILLIANT-TOP-ROYAL-BLUE-SPINEL-4-CT-VVS_W0QQitemZ170260606307QQihZ007QQcategoryZ110873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A matched pair of 4 ct each EXTRA FINE BRILLIANT TOP ROYAL BLUE SPINEL 4 CT VVS. Starting bids are only $0.99 each. Buy two and they will combine shipping.
9.gif

Of course, as GemRite points out, they used a bit of heat diffusion to improve the color.

But they will make great earrings!!
31.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 7:50:39 PM
Author: GemRite
I have seen this color spinel before, it was a diffused spinel. It reminds me of it, I have never seen a spinel this color that was natural. http://cgi.ebay.com/40-LARGE-PRINCESS-CUT-NAVY-ROYAL-BLUE-SPINEL-5-CTS-VVS_W0QQitemZ120303185733QQihZ002QQcategoryZ110873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem It''s is the exact same color! And they atleast tell you that it was diffussed here. I would be concerned. They have learned to diffuse about all gems. There is an articcle that is going to be realeased really soon about the treatment of tourmalines by diffusing them. I will link it once it is released. A friend has been working on it for a period, along with other people in the industry.
Gemrite are you sure that there is such a thing as diffused spinels? I have seen synthetic spinels with this color and I am inclined to believe that is the case with the stone you linked to. The stone at CP has a report from GIA which for me is a lot more reliable than the words of an unknown ebay seller. As for your friend. I know of who you speak . IMO this person has proven nothing.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 5:38:06 PM
Author: cushioncutnut

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

30.gif
Oh come on CMW, can''t you afford a mere $19k??
3.gif
Here is a Belated birthday wish is blue! I hope you had a great one...even if you didn''t get the blue.... (boohoo!)

Happy Birthday CMW!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Thank you CCN. Perhaps I should look on ebay.
27.gif

GemRite

Rough_Rock
I was pointing out the spinel listed on Ebay listed as being diffussed, was the exact same color of the 19k stone. They admit that they have been diffussed. I have seen a lot of Tanzanian spinel rough and Madagascar spinel rough, but I have never seen that kind of blue before. My two cents. There has been a lot of discussions on the subject of the treatments that they can do with diffussion. Just like the red andensine, it was diffussed. Colored Stone magazine has a good article about it. http://www.colored-stone.com/stories/sep08/andesine-report-followup.cfm

Just some food for thought.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi John,

I''m pretty well up to speed on the current state of diffusion research on andesine and other gems. I''ve read the article you mention and much more besides. Also, I stock quite a bit of natural spinel. As an ethical seller I''m very interested to learn of any evidence the gem being treated in any way. I''ve investigated every suggestion of treatment to the best of my ability and so far have found nothing conclusive.

The terms "heat" and "diffusion" are used very carelessly, especially on fleabay. I''m not saying you''re wrong but I want much more solid evidence of treatment than a simple ad pitching a pretty stone. I know some people doing very high level research into the andesine matter. From what''s been passed on to me I''d be very hesitant to take the strong position Federman and his sources do. I think a couple of very large shoes will be dropping one of these days.

I''m sure you''re aware that very sophisticated flux synthetic spinels in both red and blue have been on the market for several years. They are devilishly hard to separate from naturals. The obvious conduit for this Russian-made material is through Bangkok and I''ve been expecting to see it popping up. I''m going to try to win one of those auctions and send the stone off to GIA or AGTA for testing to see if any real evidence of diffusion or other hanky-panky can be detected.

Richard M.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results