shape
carat
color
clarity

Downsizing?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you set it east west with tapered baguettes to the side it can sit super low on the finger and the tapering stones at the side will make it look more balanced and not so “in your face” if you know what I mean.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you set it east west with tapered baguettes to the side it can sit super low on the finger and the tapering stones at the side will make it look more balanced and not so “in your face” if you know what I mean.

Yes this is the camp I am in too
something like this but with better proportions

Attachments

• 5B87CFD2-0935-4FB0-B8B4-20500817700D.jpeg
    5B87CFD2-0935-4FB0-B8B4-20500817700D.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 22

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I recently reset my emerald cut e-stone for the 2nd time. It's in a bezel now and I love it.

I tried on a bunch of different settings so I could get the reset just right. Frank Darling actually makes a ton of emerald cut settings (and bonus most of the czs are 2 cts). I found their Try-On program really useful. I didn't end up ordering a setting from them because none of the styles was perfect, but I highly recommend checking it out.

Here's a sampling of all the platinum/ white gold settings. I think you can try 3 sterling silver replicas at home. It's very easy and it's free.

emerald_cut_settings.png

How do you feel about the weight of the ring. I did a metal switch from platinum to yellow gold and I find that I really like the lighter weight of the ring, too.

As others have said, proportionately the stone looks great on your finger. The right setting can make all the difference. And if you go with someone like David Klass, he can send you a wax for a test run.

They’ll customize any of the settings for free or design one not on their site! I had an emerald three stone custom made.

@realhauswife, I agree with many others I think the diamond is well proportioned and it may just be set too high? I had my three stone EC set very very low and I also wonder if that might help

Attachments

• B2BFC1B9-478C-4695-98F3-199121473E21.jpeg
    B2BFC1B9-478C-4695-98F3-199121473E21.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 1A583515-0A18-4646-8647-88347641EB4B.jpeg
    1A583515-0A18-4646-8647-88347641EB4B.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 94

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had the same diamond size, shape, ring and finger size, and the same problem, as you.

I sold it and replaced with a modest, low-set 3-stone resetting of my grandmother's wedding ring.

I am much happier. My ring now suits me in all ways. It feels like me.

But I'm not you :)

Whaaaat??? I know you were having 2nd thoughts but I didnt realised you had gone ahead and downsized! Is there a thread on your new ring? How was the experience of selling your EC?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your responses! I am going to call David Klass today.

I have to say that I agree with the others who have said dont rush into the downsize. Your stone is beautiful and it does look perfectly proportioned on your hand. Settings can make so much difference to how wearable a ring is, and low profile could make a huge difference. Something where the head of the ring is inserted into the the shank so the culet can get as close to your finger as possible will make a huge difference to the size look and the ease of wear.

1653421690357.png
Since you have such a lovely EC it would be a shame to "throw the baby out with bathwater". I have a 2ct Princess that I almost ended up selling because it did not perform as well as I expecting once it was set. I almost lost a load of money - and then after a lengthy consultation with PS I discovered that it was the setting causing the issue. Once I had it modified the whole look changed and now I love it, and am soooooo glad that I didnt sell it!

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
I have to say that I agree with the others who have said dont rush into the downsize. Your stone is beautiful and it does look perfectly proportioned on your hand. Settings can make so much difference to how wearable a ring is, and low profile could make a huge difference. Something where the head of the ring is inserted into the the shank so the culet can get as close to your finger as possible will make a huge difference to the size look and the ease of wear.

1653421690357.png
Since you have such a lovely EC it would be a shame to "throw the baby out with bathwater". I have a 2ct Princess that I almost ended up selling because it did not perform as well as I expecting once it was set. I almost lost a load of money - and then after a lengthy consultation with PS I discovered that it was the setting causing the issue. Once I had it modified the whole look changed and now I love it, and am soooooo glad that I didnt sell it!

Thank you for sharing! It’s exactly why I wanted to post here and get feedback. I’m going to make sure the new setting has specific design elements like that (donut/sitting into band rather than prongs on top, bezel) to make sure it is as low as possible. I think I’ve realized that is my top priority at this point and I do love this stone.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad it sounds like you plan to keep your current stone! I too think that size looks perfect on you, and your stone looks so beautiful.

Also, I completely understand not feeling comfortable wearing your ring all the time. I think that's ok! I sometimes feel that way about my EC too, and I've realized that there are just times when I'm going to leave it at home. But I truly love wearing it when I do wear it (mainly when I'm by myself working from home haha), and I would be sad not have it anymore.

Maybe you can save up for a smaller solitaire as an alternative e-ring or a set of stacking bands or something like that so you have another option for when you don't want to wear your gorgeous EC. Round brilliants face up bigger than ECs, and your fingers are very dainty, so I bet something like a .5 ct solitaire would look great on you.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

1653421690357.png

So, you have a Prince and a Princess? Do they look alike? No, of course not..
Any pictures of the change in settings? I'd love to see the setting that caused an issue and the one that fixed it.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, you have a Prince and a Princess? Do they look alike? No, of course not..
Any pictures of the change in settings? I'd love to see the setting that caused an issue and the one that fixed it.

Haha, they are very different animals. With the princess, actually its the same setting, the changes were made to the metal at the base of the prongs, under the diamond, The inside of the setting was rough, dark and too close to the pavilion of the diamond, trapping dirt and throwing dark reflections up through the pavillion. Once it was reduced, refined, and highly polished the diamond was so much brighter (and easier to keep clean too)

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Years ago I read that Brian Gavin has every ring he sets polished completely, on every surface, before and after setting. I'm sure all the best vendors do the same, it makes a big difference.
Thanks for the explanation.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I remember your beautiful EC!! Was it painful to sell? What pushed you over the edge?

I personally am not as stressed about the loss as I see it as a sunken cost and I’m very hesitant to spend more money on yet another setting when it may be the size of the stone that is really bothering me. I’ve got a lot to think about.

It wasn't painful at all, it was actually a relief :) I felt the same about the money - a sunk cost - and I wouldn't have known unless I tried it, so it was the cost of experience. You live and learn.

The problems were the size (too big), the setting (I've realised I'm a low-set, smooth, heavy, sleek and comfortable setting person), and the fact that it just didn't mean what I wanted it to. It just felt... kind of empty. It didn't bring me joy. I still don't know entirely why.

This thread was me processing it - I decided to keep it after this, but soon after changed my mind and let it go:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your stone looks really nice on your hand and it doesn't appear too large. However, I like the idea of setting it E/W, with or without the baguettes. I think part of the problem with the current setting, is, as others have said, it's like a pop ring, the way it sits on the shank. The basket needs to be more incorporated into the ring,
I feel. I have a 2 ct EC and although not E/W, the way it is made does not make me feel like it is high at all, even though, as you can see, there is definitely space under the stone. I don't think another reset is too many. Maybe start with DK on some CADs and before you finalize, get a plastic model to see how you feel about the resdesign. And the suggestion for the Frank Darling "testers" is a great idea.
IMG_5270.JPG

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I agree with your instinct not to spend more money on a setting. But disagree about selling it. Keep it, wear it as a pendant. Save up $$$ to buy a smaller ring. Even if you start wearing this one again in the future there will still be times when you want a smaller ring. Travel, etc.

Many years ago I upgraded then downgraded and if I had to do it over again I would have just waited and saved.

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
The problems were the size (too big), the setting (I've realised I'm a low-set, smooth, heavy, sleek and comfortable setting person), and the fact that it just didn't mean what I wanted it to. It just felt... kind of empty. It didn't bring me joy. I still don't know entirely why.

THIS. The part in bold- exactly what I've been feeling. It's a spectacular stone, I just feel absolutely nothing when I look at it. I admire how pretty it is, but I don't want to wear it every day. And that's a problem because I want my ring to be something I don't want to take off!

I've actually been looking at pre-loved Tiffany Lucida rings because they seem to have everything I'm after. . . low profile, substantial comfortable band and I'd be able to get the smaller size stone I am wanting. I've admired them for a long time.

I'm so glad you followed your heart and have something you love to wear.

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
I agree with your instinct not to spend more money on a setting. But disagree about selling it. Keep it, wear it as a pendant. Save up $$$ to buy a smaller ring. Even if you start wearing this one again in the future there will still be times when you want a smaller ring. Travel, etc.

Many years ago I upgraded then downgraded and if I had to do it over again I would have just waited and saved.

Yes I honestly feel like I hit my setting limit on this last one. I'm just not excited about the idea of a new setting because I feel so over this stone at the moment and don't want to throw money chasing something. :/

May I ask how long after you let go of the upgrade stone you started to think you should have kept it?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
THIS. The part in bold- exactly what I've been feeling. It's a spectacular stone, I just feel absolutely nothing when I look at it. I admire how pretty it is, but I don't want to wear it every day. And that's a problem because I want my ring to be something I don't want to take off!

I've actually been looking at pre-loved Tiffany Lucida rings because they seem to have everything I'm after. . . low profile, substantial comfortable band and I'd be able to get the smaller size stone I am wanting. I've admired them for a long time.

I'm so glad you followed your heart and have something you love to wear.

Seems we've had very similar feelings, in a freakishly similar situation! I also craved something that was more of a cohesive, intentionally designed "whole ring". I actually looked at the Tiffany Etoile myself and probably would have gone for it if I hadn't had the family ring to reset. I am enjoying understated and comfortable. But who knows, I could still end up regretting it, life is long ;-)

Yes I honestly feel like I hit my setting limit on this last one. I'm just not excited about the idea of a new setting because I feel so over this stone at the moment and don't want to throw money chasing something. :/

Totally get that. Have you started looking at smaller ECs on the market yet? Maybe if you find one that tugs at your heartstrings, then it's a sign to let this one go.

If you end up wanting to upgrade later, it might not even be that out of reach. Hopefully you'd be fortunate enough to have some bling funds saved up by then. Who knows? Maybe you'll even have some extra cash leftover from selling your current stone! :pray:

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
Totally get that. Have you started looking at smaller ECs on the market yet? Maybe if you find one that tugs at your heartstrings, then it's a sign to let this one go.

If you end up wanting to upgrade later, it might not even be that out of reach. Hopefully you'd be fortunate enough to have some bling funds saved up by then. Who knows? Maybe you'll even have some extra cash leftover from selling your current stone! :pray:

I have actually been looking at pre-loved rings. It's a totally different direction but I really love the Tiffany Lucida in maybe .75-1ct. My original stone was an asscher and I feel it's reminiscent of what I loved about that stone.

That is true- it's always a possibility you never know what you may want in the future!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
It was a few years. I saved up to buy another diamond, and now I have a two-carat diamond that I wear maybe once a month, and a few <1 carat diamonds that I wear all the time.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
PS’ers are such a great resource, there are great responses and advise. I would agree with not doing anything hasty because our personal tastes change over time. I have a 2 carat RB that was set with a micropave halo that made it look like a 2.5-2.75 size. Even setting the diamond in a simple metal bezel will enhance the appearance of the diamond size.
In my opinion, the size of your diamond does not look too large for your delicate finger. I do agree with the comments about a setting that has the diamond sit more flush with your finger would help it feel more comfortable. David Klass is an excellent choice. I love the contemporary twist on a classic emerald cut by setting it east/west.
Good luck and I can’t wait to see what you decide to do.

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
PS’ers are such a great resource, there are great responses and advise. I would agree with not doing anything hasty because our personal tastes change over time. I have a 2 carat RB that was set with a micropave halo that made it look like a 2.5-2.75 size. Even setting the diamond in a simple metal bezel will enhance the appearance of the diamond size.
In my opinion, the size of your diamond does not look too large for your delicate finger. I do agree with the comments about a setting that has the diamond sit more flush with your finger would help it feel more comfortable. David Klass is an excellent choice. I love the contemporary twist on a classic emerald cut by setting it east/west.
Good luck and I can’t wait to see what you decide to do.

Thank you so much! I’ve received so much good feedback here. My takeaway is I need to take plenty of time to think about it.

I have some try-on rings (2ct emerald cut CZs in bezel settings) on the way and got an initial CAD that made me really excited. I have a feeling knocking off that extra 2-3mm in height from the setting and putting a super slim bezel on it may be exactly what I need.

I still have pangs of doubt regarding the size of the stone, but I’m really worried I would regret selling it.

CoolKat

Rough_Rock
Can’t help myself lol

BDEB1C5E-2B63-4306-935E-2ADA694E41A8.jpeg
Ooooh THAT IS LOVELY! :kiss2:
This EW set is perfection!

I agree with everyone - don't rush & sell your stone or reset it again (yet)

My ER is not huge per PS standard (1.76 RMB on sz 7) but sometimes it can feel too "flashy" (pandemic settings, travels etc) so I got me a "travelling" ring (0.33 RMB w/ pave band) which I end up wearing daily anyways. The pave band helps satisfy my need for sparkles on my hand.

Eventually (lately?) I miss my ER, so I just alternate whenever I feel like it.

So maybe use the funds for reset to get an alternate ring?

But if you do reset it - I vote for Niel's suggestion above! So pretty :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I've posted about this before but I upgraded to a 2.75 carat then didn't like the attention it drew. It's not like people would fall over drooling in the street or anything but it still made me uneasy when I'd notice someone eyeing it up.

I decided against selling it because you typically get so much less than you paid. I finally had it made into a bangle, since I'd seen a few on here that I really liked. I don't think people assume it's a diamond, in a bracelet. It doesn't draw much attention.

Then I had a new e-ring made with a large light pink lab sapphire. That way I still get the showiness (on my large hands) while avoiding the downsides, since it's not apparent what the stone is, and it cost a lot less than buying another diamond. I also have a couple of fakeys for a change. I'm happy with it, for now anyway!

marquise bracelet.jpg pink sapphire.jpg

Last edited:

waffle

Shiny_Rock
Your diamond is magnificent!!! I think you should have a low basket setting for that. I could stare at it all day!

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
I want to thank everyone again for their kind words and feedback!

I've decided to pursue one more (UGH) reset into something that is as low profile as possible and to work with DK so I have CADs to go off of so I can be sure it's as low as possible. I'll post a separate CAD thread for feedback.

I did try the Frank Darling try-on at home kit and even just from those ill-fitting replicas it became clear to me that it's 100% the height and "stick-outie-ness" of my current setting that is driving me nuts and not my actual diamond.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
You made a good choice! The size looks really nice on you! But it does seem high with potential to catch which would annoy me.

You could also try out a lower cost lab diamond, gemstone, band, or such ring to swap out on days you want something smaller and more casual. But I bet the final reset will fix the problem :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you decided against getting rid of the stone. I predict that with the ubiquity of lab diamonds, it’ll become more and more common to see Big Stones - which will make yours “stand out” that much less.

realhauswife

Rough_Rock
You made a good choice! The size looks really nice on you! But it does seem high with potential to catch which would annoy me.

You could also try out a lower cost lab diamond, gemstone, band, or such ring to swap out on days you want something smaller and more casual. But I bet the final reset will fix the problem :)

Thank you so much! I really do love the stone and I think I've let my stubbornness around spending more money (out of principle not because I don't have the "fun funds" set aside) on the setting cloud my judgement. At the end of the day I just will not wear it if it's not comfortable!

You're right re: having another band or ring to wear instead. I've been wearing my plain gold wedding band and my half eternity pave band as an alternative. I need to work on being so "all or nothing."

Glad you decided against getting rid of the stone. I predict that with the ubiquity of lab diamonds, it’ll become more and more common to see Big Stones - which will make yours “stand out” that much less.

Great point!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I want to thank everyone again for their kind words and feedback!

I've decided to pursue one more (UGH) reset into something that is as low profile as possible and to work with DK so I have CADs to go off of so I can be sure it's as low as possible. I'll post a separate CAD thread for feedback.

I did try the Frank Darling try-on at home kit and even just from those ill-fitting replicas it became clear to me that it's 100% the height and "stick-outie-ness" of my current setting that is driving me nuts and not my actual diamond.

I’m glad the FD try on kit was somewhat helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results