shape
carat
color
clarity

Doubts about sapphire i received. What should I do?

MyPrachaz

Rough_Rock
Im a Gem newbie and just picked up my first saphire purchase from doorman. but under soft white LED light, the color is rather disappointing. I've also noticed rather visible and unhidable inclusions.

Pic 1 shows what the color is to naked eye.
Pic 2 shows inclusion.

Worth noting, picture on AGL cert agrees with vendor pic, not mine! I will inspect again tomorrow first thing when sun comes up.

what do you all think? is this normal?

Vendor link:
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...nheated_Fine_Blue_Sapphire_3_80_carat-Gem.php

Screenshot_20190314-221733-01.jpeg
20190314231800-01.jpeg

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I wish I had better news for ya, but this is not a good sapphire. The color is dull, and inclusions like that are completely avoidable even in modestly priced stones. The cut is way too deep, and you're paying for gem weight you're not even seeing...the 'spread' could be so much better/bigger without that deep belly.

Return this, and try again with another vendor. Others here could direct you to reputable dealers.

Good luck!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had better news for ya, but this is not a good sapphire. The color is dull, and inclusions like that are completely avoidable even in modestly priced stones. The cut is way too deep, and you're paying for gem weight you're not even seeing...the 'spread' could be so much better/bigger without that deep belly.

Return this, and try again with another vendor. Others here could direct you to reputable dealers.

Good luck!
Mastercut is extremely reputable, just FYI. I'm really surprised to see this pic. Maybe look in daylight? The AGL certification makes the stone look gorgeous, although it's certainly really deep.

I'm really sorry you aren't happy with it! Mastercut is great, so if you aren't happy then definitely return it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are your photos accurate for color? I’m assuming so based on what you stated.

If so, it looks like a Montana sapphire. They’re typically more grey in color. If you’re not happy, I would return it. At least he’s a reputable vendor.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most coloured gems perform poorly under night time led lights.
Check it again in daylight.
That said, to me it’s an insipid steel grey blue, not a colour I personally like.
The inclusion is natural and unfortunate being centre of gem and easily identified. Again, check it in daylight conditions.
It was an expensive gem, it doesn’t “face up big” because it’s got a fat bottom and so you’re really paying for carat weight you can’t see. Shame.
And if you set that in a ring, it’s going to be “sky high” with that almost 8mm deep underneath. I think it will look weird and out of proportion when set.
If you are not in love with the sapphire, return it. It’s too much money to spend and not “love it”.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
saphires look best under strong LED with cold lights. There every stone even the darkest looks very sparkle.
But problem is, that you dont have this light all the time, when you wear a stone. You should always compare a stone in the sunlight, as this is the colour you will see most of the time. With the right light you can make nearly every gem look gorgous.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must admit I do not find that stone attractive. If you are unhappy with it definitely return it! It costs way too much to look so insipid!

The good news is that Mastercut are extremely reputable so you can return it and get your money back!!!

MyPrachaz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply guys

This is what it looks like under cloudy conditions. The gem looks a bit better in person, more brilliant and the color is a bit lighter, with a very slight purplish hue. But the pic is quite close, certainly much closer than vendor or agl pic. Im actually quite dumbfounded...

I will cancel my appraisal appointment and return this.:cry2:

20190315082047-01.jpeg

Reactions: AV_

MyPrachaz

Rough_Rock
sun just came through the cloud so... one more pic. in real life it looks slightly lighter and less saturated. its very brilliant though!

This was a sure return but now, Im not too sure... What would you guys do?

20190315101556-01.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't love it, definitely return. I think it's important to know that sapphires are "moody", especially when they have this mix of blue/grey. If you want a stone that's always "on" in different lights, sapphire might not be what you want-- at least not in this shade/tone.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I think they are almost all like that, they shift a lot depending on lighting and vendor pictures are naturally taken in a flattering lighting. This one clearly has a personality of its own and if you keep it, then it should be because you like the personality and the different characters it exhibits -- if you don't like the moodiness then definitely return it.

You may want to see more sapphires in person. A jeweler could help you get some in. Or alternatively you may be able to work with someone like roger dery who will sometimes send more than one stone at the same time for you to compare and takes good photos across a mixture of lighting situations, or visit someone with a physical retail location like gemfix. This will let you better vet the stones in different lighting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I think they are almost all like that, they shift a lot depending on lighting and vendor pictures are naturally taken in a flattering lighting. This one clearly has a personality of its own and if you keep it, then it should be because you like the personality and the different characters it exhibits -- if you don't like the moodiness then definitely return it.

You may want to see more sapphires in person. A jeweler could help you get some in. Or alternatively you may be able to work with someone like roger dery who will sometimes send more than one stone at the same time for you to compare and takes good photos across a mixture of lighting situations, or visit someone with a physical retail location like gemfix. This will let you better vet the stones in different lighting.
Yup! Roger sent me 3 blue zircons so I could compare them IRL. He's extremly nice about the need to see stones in person

ChanterelleJ

Rough_Rock
Premium
I kind of like it, don't know why. I think it's a beauty in your daylight pic. But what matters is that YOU love it :geek2:

MyPrachaz

Rough_Rock
If you don't love it, definitely return. I think it's important to know that sapphires are "moody", especially when they have this mix of blue/grey. If you want a stone that's always "on" in different lights, sapphire might not be what you want-- at least not in this shade/tone.

Thanks! this reply captures the gist of my hesitation. I wanted the blue that's like the color of the LED light on my usb charger. If not that saturated, at least in the same Hue. Such as the one in the following link:
https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1328

But I've never seen a real, high end sapphire like that (I'm new to this). What if it's my expectation that's unrealistic? Is it even possible for real sapphires to look like that in person?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! this reply captures the gist of my hesitation. I wanted the blue that's like the color of the LED light on my usb charger. If not that saturated, at least in the same Hue. Such as the one in the following link:
https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1328

But I've never seen a real, high end sapphire like that (I'm new to this). What if it's my expectation that's unrealistic? Is it even possible for real sapphires to look like that in person?
See his video. It's definitely possible for them to look like that, but not in all lights and at all times. Sapphires are just moody stones, but the one you got is likely even more moody bc of the lighter tone and some grey, mixed with the really deep cut.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That one wont look like that all the time. It will shift to go quite a bit darker at night -- probably a deep navy at night.

You can definitely get close to the colour you are looking for in some lighting situations. I always love this one

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-spectacular-blue-sebastien-barier-ring-sapphire

Mind you, as you become more and more picky about colour the price skyrockets -- price is not a linear function of size or quality of colour.

MyPrachaz

Rough_Rock
See his video. It's definitely possible for them to look like that, but not in all lights and at all times. Sapphires are just moody stones, but the one you got is likely even more moody bc of the lighter tone and some grey, mixed with the really deep cut.

it is? all i can say is, Wow! because... that looks like a blue LED!!!:eek2: How much do you think my budget should be if I want a stone like/close to that, but at a minimum 9x7 or 8x8?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one wont look like that all the time. It will shift to go quite a bit darker at night -- probably a deep navy at night.

You can definitely get close to the colour you are looking for in some lighting situations. I always love this one

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-spectacular-blue-sebastien-barier-ring-sapphire

Mind you, as you become more and more picky about colour the price skyrockets -- price is not a linear function of size or quality of colour.
Exactly. The downside of such a rich velvet blue is the tendency to "go dark" in low lights. Once set in a ring it will likely darken more. So there are positives and negatives.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it is? all i can say is, Wow! because... that looks like a blue LED!!!:eek2: How much do you think my budget should be if I want a stone like/close to that, but at a minimum 9x7 or 8x8?
The one you posted is 8.4*6.6. that's pretty darn close to 9*7. I would try to pick stones based on color, not exact size.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’d return it personally. Is there any reason you’re not considering the Gemfix stone?

MyPrachaz

Rough_Rock
I kind of like it, don't know why. I think it's a beauty in your daylight pic. But what matters is that YOU love it :geek2:
Haha, I know! The day time picture does look kinda nice. In real life though, it's a bit lighter and less saturated than the picture, but more brilliant. I paid 6.7k for an 8x8 gem so was hoping to be blown away. Still nice, but not the "WOW" I was hoping for.

That's why this turned into a tricky situation.

MyPrachaz

Rough_Rock
I’d return it personally. Is there any reason you’re not considering the Gemfix stone?
The one you posted is 8.4*6.6. that's pretty darn close to 9*7. I would try to pick stones based on color, not exact size.

This is for an ERing and she has not done all the gem homework like I did. So she (and of course her friends) may not appreciate color as much as you guys do.

So for that target audience, 9x7 is the minimum I want to consider, ideally a bit over it. The Gemfix stone is smaller by 0.5mm in each dimension. That's quite a visible size difference!

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, if the colour really pops, it can make a bigger impact if the size difference isn't too large. A setting can also help compensate. Good colour will almost always draw the eye towards it. For the price you are willing to spend, I'd definitely keep looking.

voce

Ideal_Rock
This is for an ERing and she has not done all the gem homework like I did. So she (and of course her friends) may not appreciate color as much as you guys do.

So for that target audience, 9x7 is the minimum I want to consider, ideally a bit over it. The Gemfix stone is smaller by 0.5mm in each dimension. That's quite a visible size difference!
I've said this to others before. If it's for an E-ring, have HER make the choice of gem, with your guidance. It doesn't matter how much time you spent or how good a deal it is if she doesn't love it. Work the surprise factor into the proposal itself, not what ring or stone she receives. If she's the one wearing this, you shouldn't be making the decision on this but only presenting her with options.

Even with blue sapphires, there is no universal standard preference. Please involve your intended in the decision making.

MyPrachaz

Rough_Rock
To me, if the colour really pops, it can make a bigger impact if the size difference isn't too large. A setting can also help compensate. Good colour will almost always draw the eye towards it. For the price you are willing to spend, I'd definitely keep looking.

I get what you are saying and personally, I totally agree! But for an eRing, it's got an extra criteria:
"Perceived value from gem illiterate people":wall:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I like what I am seeing - a soft blue tinged with violet, reminding WWW. Sapphire is famous for a different shade of blue, so I understand that you are disappointed ,( ...

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"Perceived value from gem illiterate people":wall:

Well, that could be a problem. Gem illiterate people will probably think that diamonds are better, and/or the bigger the better. I hope she isn't too swayed by her friends and that they have the decency to be supportive. I live in the Land of Judgmental :(2, so I get your predicament. Follow the advice from @voce and get her opinion. And return the Mastercut stone--too deep and expensive for what you received. Remember that the setting can really make a stone that's .5mm smaller look more spectacular. There's so much you can do to personalize it and make it a "wow" ring.

Finally, go to https://www.gemsize.org and see the size differences on a finger.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3E96D597-5A67-4D43-A5DF-61386D5E43EE.jpeg 4E8B14B3-39C6-4CF5-982D-60D312BDE152.jpeg 34F33CD5-DB3F-4442-901F-B3850CB8633B.jpeg Buying coloured gems can be tricky. Invariably they look better on the vendors website because of specialized lighting and excellent cameras (and maybe even some post production “work”) which is exactly why you need to see the gem in person under your normal lighting conditions. A good vendor accepts a no problem return for this reason.
And people have different preferences in terms of colour and tone. That sapphire, while very beautiful and superbly cut, is not in real life the colour and tone you love or expected, it happens, so yes, return it.
The other issues with that particular sapphire from MY perspective would be the shape. That bottom heavy shape means paying for carat weight you can’t see and the practical issue of setting. It’s going to have to sit up very high. If your fiancée has petite fingers, size 5 or so, that sapphire will not work well.
Sapphires come in dozens of tones / shades of blue. From inky blue to wisp of blue tint. Some are more violet toned, others greyish or even greenish.
When spending many of thousands of dollars, don’t be shy prior to purchase. Ask the vendor for some “on hand” shots in natural daylight, under inside fluorescent (office type) light, at nighttime. Different colors and tones look better under different lighting conditions. It’s rare that any gem look amazing irrespective of the light source.
My sapphires are deeper toned. In low light they look quite dark. But when the light catches them, the vividness comes alive. So it’s still a compromise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results