shape
carat
color
clarity

Dorian...Keeping an eye out

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just spent to DH and they are sending at least 20 crews from CT to FL to help with tree removal so power can be restored. So they will already be there when the storm hits so they can get right to work afterwards.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My sister, who is single, lives in Orlando. She's managing--has generator, protection for house etc. But I can't imagine sitting there looking at the models headed directly to my vicinity. Egads. Sunday looks to be the big day. Good luck to everyone/loved ones in the path of this one.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I suspect it will hit Port St Lucie as a Cat 3, and drop to a Cat 1 within 12 hours as it works its way toward Orlando. After that, the only concern will be people without power which means no A/C and no refrigeration for food. If I lose power over here on the eastern coast, it will be dangerous for my cats. I'm going up to fill up my gas tank today, not for evacuation, but for a/c for the cats if it gets really bad.

We went to Sam's club last night and all the water and generators and propane were gone.

You are in my general area. I remember that from another thread. I am just across the bridge in Hillsborough county and all of the gas stations near my house are already out of gas. People are nuts... I understand being prepared, but this whole run-on supplies that's been happening with every storm is crazy. when Irma came through I remember that people were buying 30 and 40 cases of water until stores put limits.

my parents are in West Virginia right now because they are attending a wedding for my cousin. They live in Ormond Beach on the east side. Our air conditioning has been broken for a week now at the house and I was actually going to go to their place this weekend, but I'm not now with the storm. I'm much more comfortable on the west side of the state with the current path.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'm over in pinellas - and my friends over in the sun city area of hillsborough have all had their storm shutters fitted and they're hunkered down. My best wishes to you for safety, comfort, and convenience during the storm!

Two years ago I evacuated with a friend; in her cramped stationwagon we had two ladies, two spoilt toddlers, two large dogs, four scared cats, and no vodka. I never wish to repeat that experience! So fast forward to now, and I thought I was so smart to buy a jeep.... it's sitting in the auto shop waiting on new brakes and tires... it won't be ready in time. Ugh.

But I have a bottle of Jamesons put aside in case I need to lower my blood pressure from stress!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are in my general area. I remember that from another thread. I am just across the bridge in Hillsborough county and all of the gas stations near my house are already out of gas. People are nuts... I understand being prepared, but this whole run-on supplies that's been happening with every storm is crazy. when Irma came through I remember that people were buying 30 and 40 cases of water until stores put limits.

my parents are in West Virginia right now because they are attending a wedding for my cousin. They live in Ormond Beach on the east side. Our air conditioning has been broken for a week now at the house and I was actually going to go to their place this weekend, but I'm not now with the storm. I'm much more comfortable on the west side of the state with the current path.

Make a cajun cooler— ice chest, ice and fan

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite we have shutters, but we aren't putting them up...nobody has in our neighborhood either. Maybe they will over the weekend. I highly doubt we will. By the time it gets to us, we should just have cat 1 weather from what I can see- so a bad storm that is just continuous for a bit.

We are actually not too far from your friends over here in miles. Our problem is flooding- the canal to the bay is on our street. We have three ways to get out of our neighborhood and two of the three flood badly. With the recent rain we had, two of the three were underwater by about 1.5 feet in spots. But, our house is built up, with stairs to enter the front door and stairs from the house to the garage, with drains in the garage. It will be interesting to see what the local roads do with the excess water...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm headed to ABC Liquors...
I suspect it will hit Port St Lucie as a Cat 3, and drop to a Cat 1 within 12 hours as it works its way toward Orlando. After that, the only concern will be people without power which means no A/C and no refrigeration for food. If I lose power over here on the eastern coast, it will be dangerous for my cats. I'm going up to fill up my gas tank today, not for evacuation, but for a/c for the cats if it gets really bad.

We went to Sam's club last night and all the water and generators and propane were gone.

Based on what I'm seeing around me from the neighborhood app:
Lake worth, Parts of West Palm, Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm: many grocery stores have water, charcol, and have fully stocked shelves. The winn dixie nearest me just got a shipment late last night.

Gas: Check the bigger Stations for Gas like RaceTrac (no propane that I've found) Walgreens had propane right off Northlake in PBG...(not much a few cans left) I have seen gas trucks down here so some stations are getting shipments even now. Most places right off the highway hiked prices (*******s) and are running out of gas.

Walmart does not have gas cans. None of them do apparently. I am close to 3 of them, Groceries is plentiful, water is so so.

BJ's and Costco close to me are out of water out of propane. (BJ's is in Royal Palm)

Lowes and Home Depot in these areas all have wood, they also have batteries and flashlights. A few of them have window AC units. All of them hard charcoal. 6 in this area were being discussed so depends on where you need to go.

Someone said that some Lowes stores are getting generator shipments today but I don't know how true that is.

My last run is for some needed wood to finish blocking the gates with and some booze. I'm not staying in this thing without some drinks! The neighbor across from me is def. having a hurricane party...lol

I think they said that more cleaner pictures come out about 2 or 5pm. I think right now there's strengthening but no real changes to the track (meaning its pretty all over the place) I belive it was Mike that said that it could land in the Port St Lucie area which will see if that bears out (people there are super unhappy)

What gets me is people asking if Disney will be open. How about a hell no? stay home damn.

If its going to be in that general direction, that puts me on the south side of the storm...barely size will matter here.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Make a cajun cooler— ice chest, ice and fan

lol. I have done that before.

It's funny, the last hurricane, Matt's idea of prep was to boil boxes of spaghetti and then he put them in bags- and he made bean soup without meat. He said we could eat cold spaghetti and soup if needed. I think I was finding the bags of it for weeks buried in the fridge after. :lol:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
A close friend of mine is a safety exec at WDW, they have protocols to follow and will stay open right up to the last second they can, but other than that they take zero chances. I always laugh when someone says something is a 'mickey mouse operation' because WDW is one of the safest places to be! A real military style efficiency. Trust me, you want those people on your Zombie Apocalypse team. :lol-2::twisted::geek2::mrgreen2:

My mother and her husband are in Jensen Beach, basically ground zero according to forecasts at the moment. She's not leaving, in spite of him needing oxygen due to his brain injury. There's no reasoning with her. Frustrating, but she's going to do whatever she wants. :wall:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol. I have done that before.

It's funny, the last hurricane, Matt's idea of prep was to boil boxes of spaghetti and then he put them in bags- and he made bean soup without meat. He said we could eat cold spaghetti and soup if needed. I think I was finding the bags of it for weeks buried in the fridge after. :lol:

Oh, lol, I’ll bet!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
79E53919-E4B4-4BB5-BEC8-D1C2450FED06.jpeg 62CA6A53-A694-4036-AEBB-1342E855CD88.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the post and run. I’m at the surgical hospital waiting for an US to check for a call blood clot (post procedure) and they called me back for check in. I’m sure it’s fine— just being extra cautious and holiday weekend, etc.

Anyway, I’m trying to find a historical track similar to this one. Betsy and Andrew were both more south.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FD7600AA-6FBE-456E-94A9-E7C9D41B0342.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister, who is single, lives in Orlando. She's managing--has generator, protection for house etc. But I can't imagine sitting there looking at the models headed directly to my vicinity. Egads. Sunday looks to be the big day. Good luck to everyone/loved ones in the path of this one.

My husband's sister is in Ft Pierce. She's stubborn, won't leave, won't come down. Thats fine. He's up there dealing with his house and also helping her board up her house and making sure she's got enough supplies until this thing is over. His house is about 2 blocks from hers (better setup for a storm) so he is giving her the keys and told her to go ahead and drink all the liquor she wants...lol My other friends though? Gone. They went west and north. One is headed to Virginia (last text said she was almost there)

I'm so glad my house has impact glass windows and doors. I can't imagine sitting in a boarded up house without knowing whats going on outside.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending all the prayers to you Floridians. I will be following as I have my brother and his family in and around Jacksonville. He is currently in Daytona Beach for a fantasy football draft this weekend. He won’t leave because, well...fantasy football draft :snooty:
Be safe all! :pray:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Send_SNACKS.jpg

its about right...lol I was able to make it to ABC Liquors at least. Tomorrow the plan is to take the dog to the beach in Jupiter as well as giving us something to do for the morning.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I love Jim Cantore
I had a Meteorology professor back in undergrad who told me Cantore was as passionate as they get.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Checking in @Arcadian ....I'm near (but not on) the coast south of Cape Canaveral. We were in the 90% cone of likely coming ashore but it looks
like the newest forecast is saying it will be hitting further south. We plan on staying put. DH will be putting up the shutters around Sunday. Hoping
those south of us are prepared (or hitting the road soon)!

Edit ...I should have said we're on the coast but not on the beach.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Send_SNACKS.jpg

its about right...lol I was able to make it to ABC Liquors at least. Tomorrow the plan is to take the dog to the beach in Jupiter as well as giving us something to do for the morning.

Yes, forget the snacks. Send liquor!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Checking in @Arcadian ....I'm near (but not on) the coast south of Cape Canaveral. We were in the 90% cone of likely coming ashore but it looks
like the newest forecast is saying it will be hitting further south. We plan on staying put. DH will be putting up the shutters around Sunday. Hoping
those south of us are prepared (or hitting the road soon)!

Edit ...I should have said we're on the coast but not on the beach.

Mandatory evacuation in Brevard County.... that’s you. Long few days ahead.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mayk I just saw that. Holy cow..... @tyty333 please check your area because they're calling for mandatory evacuations now.

For those interested this is the local news station I get on my phone (they do have an app) it keeps me very sane during hurricanes.
https://cbs12.com/

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An mail from Congressman Brian Mast. (not to be political here) There's good information here.
Evacuation Shelters:

• Martin County: For up-to-date information on shelters in Martin County, https://www.martin.fl.us/Shelters. The following emergency shelters will open on Sunday, September 1 for affected residents (opening times to be announced):
Port Salerno Elementary School, 3260 SE Lionel Terrace, Stuart
Jensen Beach High School, 2875 NW Goldenrod Road, Jensen Beach
Hidden Oaks Middle School, 2801 SW Martin Highway, Palm City
Warfield Elementary School, 15260 SW 150th Street, Indiantown
Anderson Middle School (Special Needs)-7000 SE Atlantic Ridge Drive, Stuart

If anyone has info up around Brevard and north please post it.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
11pm Update

024334_5day_cone_with_line.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, Martin Country mandatory evacuation starts Sunday per local news reports.

If folks have not done so please sign up for your counties mobile alerts. They're also in the links for evacuations posted above.

Some useful apps: Gas Buddy. Its saved my ass more than once, its actually been pretty good down here

Florida Storms is an NPR app.
Also see if your local news as an app. I use Channel 12 for mine.
I have xfinity stream on my tablet and phone. it doesn't always work on my phone.

Also download some games on phone and or tablet. None electronic games... We try to play Uno. He hates Uno but he'll do it...lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results