shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this seem a little weird for a vendor to have this on their page?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LM put me right off when he had a price guide for his work using different types of cars.

The lowest price started with a new MINI Cooper, and I had a MINI Cooper at the time, which was and still is, considered as a rather luxurious small car.

And it was certainly not cheap as there were cars that were a lot cheaper!

So I got the hint, in that unless I could afford more than just a MINI Cooper, then I could afford to get anything made by him.

DK :roll2:

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I find this whole thread so interesting..
As an artist I can see where his frustrations come from as I’m often put in a position where I’m asked to paint something that I know just won’t work or is just a bad idea. It’s frustrating when I try and guide the client in a more flattering a better direction as I’m weighing up if I can do what they ask and get a result that will make them happy when I know I won’t be.
I ultimately want the client to be happy.... it’s their face or body I’m painting at their request so in theory they should be able to have whatever they like..... but somethings are unrealistic (taken from photo shoots and photoshopped for just one angle) or can’t be worn for long periods of time eating drinking and living (hello Halloween) or have literally taken the artist hours we don’t have to create.... bad colour choices for their skin tones... bad placement choices and generally just not knowing how my products work ... it’s can be the most frustrating situation and as an artist the tighter the parameters are the more difficult it is to create in general. (Also people are constantly not valuing my skills or my time and constantly trying to get more for less which is degrading - I mean you don’t bargain with your plumber right?)

But as a business owner I have to constantly keep in mind that I need to treat my clients as I would like to be treated as a client. As a client it’s my money and I want what I want for my money without someone trying to tell me what I *should* have.

So it’s a dance of sorts and years working in hospitality has helped me no end to understand that good service comes regardless if you are buying a $2 coffee or a $20,000 contract.
I personally know a multi-millionaire who drives a very very old crap car and has worn the same sneakers for the last 20yrs .... when asked why he says he doesn’t want people knowing his financial status as he gets taken advantage of and then he asks straight back with a wink .... How do you think I got all the money? (Inferring it’s because he never buys anything - lol)

So never ever judge a book by its cover ( or a person by their demeanour or car for heavens sake!!!!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LM put me right off when he had a price guide for his work using different types of cars ...

Please help me out.
Did LM ask you what car you drive before giving you a quote?

Last edited:

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I’m sure Leon is a very skilled gem setter. But I just went though 10 pages of his work on his website. This is about as artistic a piece as I saw:

1603851035560.jpeg

Last edited:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I totally forgot about this thread but it did make me smile reading it again. He seems to be a tortured artist that likes to express himself outwards. I have seen some beautiful pieces by him at various points here but I wouldn’t have the patience for this...especially during these times. There are so many other jewelers doing good work too. Custom designing a ring is already stressful, expensive and requires a meeting of the minds. At least for me it does...!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please help me out.
Did LM ask you what car you drive before giving you a quote?

No, he used cars as a guide to how much a piece would cost to make.

There were grumbles about his attitude and ways of dealing with certain PSers at the time. That was kind of another nail in the coffin.

Me being over sensitive? Perhaps.

However I did not like it.

Each to their own etc...

DK :))

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I don't want to just rag on the guy/company, but he really rubs me the wrong way. Aside from the crass jokes throughout his website, I don't want to be told what to like.

"Color is not desirable in engagement rings - that's why engagement rings are mostly made with platinum or white gold and set with colorless diamonds."

"for people with means, an artificial diamond is an exercise of poor judgment and poor taste."

Who wants to be made to feel awful about their choice of engagement ring?

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
I don't want to just rag on the guy/company, but he really rubs me the wrong way. Aside from the crass jokes throughout his website, I don't want to be told what to like.

"Color is not desirable in engagement rings - that's why engagement rings are mostly made with platinum or white gold and set with colorless diamonds."

"for people with means, an artificial diamond is an exercise of poor judgment and poor taste."

Who wants to be made to feel awful about their choice of engagement ring?

But wait, he sells artificial diamond engagement rings!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The guy's elevator must not go to the top floor. :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results